• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:40
CEST 05:40
KST 12:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9050 users

Off-Topic General Discussion - Page 1414

Forum Index > The Shopkeeper′s Inn
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 5162 Next
Frudgey
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada3367 Posts
March 13 2014 18:05 GMT
#28261
Hey Anime fans, I got a question about Code Geass.

+ Show Spoiler [Code Geass Spoiler] +
+ Show Spoiler [Seriously this is a major spoiler] +
Poll: Do you think Lelouch is dead?

Yes (4)
 
57%

Castlevania (3)
 
43%

No (0)
 
0%

7 total votes

Your vote: Do you think Lelouch is dead?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): Castlevania


Personally I think he's alive but I want to hear what you guys think.


Also, if you're not into Code Geass I've got something for you anyways

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
It is better to die for The Emperor than live for yourself.
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
March 13 2014 18:08 GMT
#28262
I will go to my Anime Con this weekend and ask everyone I see there. I will return monday with results.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 13 2014 18:09 GMT
#28263
Board:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Thank you based teut. I looked for some other attacks but it really does seem the queen sac is the best play here.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Eppa!
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden4641 Posts
March 13 2014 18:10 GMT
#28264
On March 14 2014 02:51 mordek wrote:
Dear chess gurus in this thread. I can trade queen for both rooks. That would leave us with both our knights, me with a rook and him with a bishop, even on pawns and similar structures. I'm a chess noob beyond tactics. Could probably get a shot of the board up if needed. I feel like queen for both rooks is the right choice but I hate to sac Q when I have one and he doesn't.

It is generally the better choice as 2 rooks are about equal/slightly better than a queen.
"Can't wait till Monday" Cixah+Waveofshadow. "Needs to be monday. Weekend please go by quickly." Gahlo
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 18:13:21
March 13 2014 18:11 GMT
#28265
qh4+ wins a knight and the king is stuck in the centre, potentially game winning attack

(the king is stuck defending the knight and R-c2 is probably lethal)
Lord Tolkien
Profile Joined November 2012
United States12084 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 18:12:12
March 13 2014 18:11 GMT
#28266
On March 14 2014 01:29 Shelke14 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2014 01:19 ComaDose wrote:
On March 14 2014 01:18 Shelke14 wrote:
I just wanna see half naked men stab each other. Anyone else? ANYONE?

in slow motion please


With only a little bit of manly grunting noises.

Want more nudity.

I'll be seeing it today so we'll see. The last one was kinda lulzy in plot.


On chess: trade it. Unless you are in imminent threat of checkmate or he's likely to promote, knight+rook is vastly superior endgame than bishop+knight.
"His father is pretty juicy tbh." ~WaveofShadow
Zess
Profile Joined July 2012
Adun Toridas!9144 Posts
March 13 2014 18:14 GMT
#28267
On March 14 2014 02:06 jcarlsoniv wrote:
Apparently I forgot to cancel my Amazon Prime trial. Hopefully I'll remember to do it next year l0l

You can cancel it and they will give you a prorated refund (if its within 30 days and you haven't bought anything then you get the full refund)
Administrator@TL_Zess
| (• ◡•)|八 (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 13 2014 18:16 GMT
#28268
On March 14 2014 03:11 Slayer91 wrote:
qh4+ wins a knight and the king is stuck in the centre, potentially game winning attack

(the king is stuck defending the knight and R-c2 is probably lethal)

Holy crap I'm blind. Need more tactics What does Rc2 do?
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
jcarlsoniv
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States27922 Posts
March 13 2014 18:17 GMT
#28269
On March 14 2014 03:14 xes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2014 02:06 jcarlsoniv wrote:
Apparently I forgot to cancel my Amazon Prime trial. Hopefully I'll remember to do it next year l0l

You can cancel it and they will give you a prorated refund (if its within 30 days and you haven't bought anything then you get the full refund)


It renewed in January =P Not a huge concern, I'll get use out of it.
Soniv ||| Soniv#1962 ||| @jcarlsoniv ||| The Big Golem ||| Join the Glorious Evolution. What's your favorite aminal, a bear? ||| Joe "Don't call me Daniel" "Soniv" "Daniel" Carlsberg LXIX ||| Paging Dr. John Shadow
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 18:19:01
March 13 2014 18:18 GMT
#28270
derp.
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 18:22:06
March 13 2014 18:18 GMT
#28271
after qh4+ g3 QxN the black threat is Rc2 Rd1 N-c3 winning more material so white has to move R-d1 straight away so you then go like N-c3 R-c1 Q-e3 threatening mate
white really is in trouble here
white can just move the knight but then you move into E3 again and you have rook and queen aimed at the bishop with mate threat once you get into c2

actually you can't play rc2 early cause of back rank mate LOL

in that case going for Qe3 to prevent castling into Nc3 is still a hard to stop plan, and counter like Ne4 with F5 freeing backrank and gaining a tempo chasing the knight
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
March 13 2014 18:20 GMT
#28272
I was looking for things to do on my phone and started playing final fantasy tactics for gameboy advance. I have since spent more time reading about it than playing and still have no idea what im doing
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
March 13 2014 18:20 GMT
#28273
On March 14 2014 03:17 jcarlsoniv wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2014 03:14 xes wrote:
On March 14 2014 02:06 jcarlsoniv wrote:
Apparently I forgot to cancel my Amazon Prime trial. Hopefully I'll remember to do it next year l0l

You can cancel it and they will give you a prorated refund (if its within 30 days and you haven't bought anything then you get the full refund)


It renewed in January =P Not a huge concern, I'll get use out of it.


They're raising the price to 99 in April~

On March 14 2014 03:05 Frudgey wrote:
Hey Anime fans, I got a question about Code Geass.

+ Show Spoiler [Code Geass Spoiler] +
+ Show Spoiler [Seriously this is a major spoiler] +
Poll: Do you think Lelouch is dead?

Yes (4)
 
57%

Castlevania (3)
 
43%

No (0)
 
0%

7 total votes

Your vote: Do you think Lelouch is dead?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): Castlevania


Personally I think he's alive but I want to hear what you guys think.


Also, if you're not into Code Geass I've got something for you anyways

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Yes.
TranslatorBaa!
jcarlsoniv
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States27922 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 18:23:03
March 13 2014 18:22 GMT
#28274
mord, what chess app are you using? Would you mind playing with me? I'm not very good, but would love to get better.

On March 14 2014 03:20 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2014 03:17 jcarlsoniv wrote:
On March 14 2014 03:14 xes wrote:
On March 14 2014 02:06 jcarlsoniv wrote:
Apparently I forgot to cancel my Amazon Prime trial. Hopefully I'll remember to do it next year l0l

You can cancel it and they will give you a prorated refund (if its within 30 days and you haven't bought anything then you get the full refund)


It renewed in January =P Not a huge concern, I'll get use out of it.


They're raising the price to 99 in April~



That's why I noticed I even had a subscription. I won't be charged 99 until next Jan
Soniv ||| Soniv#1962 ||| @jcarlsoniv ||| The Big Golem ||| Join the Glorious Evolution. What's your favorite aminal, a bear? ||| Joe "Don't call me Daniel" "Soniv" "Daniel" Carlsberg LXIX ||| Paging Dr. John Shadow
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 18:24:33
March 13 2014 18:23 GMT
#28275
On March 14 2014 03:18 Slayer91 wrote:
after qh4+ g3 QxN the black threat is Rc2 Rd1 N-c3 winning more material so white has to move R-d1 straight away so you then go like N-c3 R-c1 Q-e3 threatening mate
white really is in trouble here
white can just move the knight but then you move into E3 again and you have rook and queen aimed at the bishop with mate threat once you get into c2

actually you can't play rc2 early cause of back rank mate LOL

in that case going for Qe3 to prevent castling into Nc3 is still a hard to stop plan, and counter like Ne4 with F5 freeing backrank and gaining a tempo chasing the knight

Yeah was gonna say I can't have the rook leave back rank until he moves files. I'm going to try to process what you wrote in between some work. Thanks again. I really need to get more feedback on why you do what you do. If I see a tactic or how to get a fork/skewer a few steps ahead it's one thing, but I'm really lacking in overall strategy.

@soniv chess.com and yes of course you can see my tag on the pic
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Crusnik
Profile Joined December 2010
United States5378 Posts
March 13 2014 18:29 GMT
#28276
Incontrol's casting is so worthwhile to listen too, even without having watched a lot of SC2 recently. Ret isn't bad either, though, nice complement imo.
Steam: rook492
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
March 13 2014 18:29 GMT
#28277
Oh man I wish I stayed with chess growing up, just never had anyone to play with.
It's your boy Guzma!
Alaric
Profile Joined November 2009
France45622 Posts
March 13 2014 18:31 GMT
#28278
Eh, FFTA's super simple tho, because there's so much abusable stuff and the AI is as shitty as its NPCs sets of equipments and abilities so you can pretty much win the game with a-move.

Did a 1v4 at level 14 just to test a class combo, so if you can destroy stuff this early, think about lategame when all the AI has is balls of stats on bosses and doesn't scale nearly as well as you on all the rest...
Cant take LMS hipsters serious.
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
March 13 2014 18:32 GMT
#28279
I barely know how to play chess. :/
For a beginner is there some a short read for basic chess strategies?
liftlift > tsm
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 18:35:20
March 13 2014 18:34 GMT
#28280
I guess its mostly instinctual to me since ive been out of the loop so long but I guess it's that you should be trying to attack weaknesses ruthlessly. Checks are good because it buys you more time while allowing you to reposition, and also allows you to set up more checks in the future and mating threats. Pins and forks and skewers are things you work around when looking for things to attack.

A check can be like a free card draw in a card game. Since you can only move one piece at a time forcing ineffectual king moves while moving around is often invaluable.

Seeing that position I wouldn't have even considered the queen sacrifice, I would have simply realized there was a threat on the queen and an easy way to get out of it and displace him with qh4+, and then you see the knight is undefended. Even if qh4 wasn't on the table I'd go qf4.

The black squares are completely undefended and his bishop is dead, all 3 of his pieces are potential targets as well as his king, and the rook is completely out of the game. at a glance I'd think there should be a winning position within 5 moves and no need to try to exchange off.

A weakness is anything that he can't easily defend. The second thing you look for is his moves which are bothersome and look for ways to nullify them, moving pieces out of the way, or taking control of the square that they would be troublesome in. His only troublesome piece is his rook but you can force it on the defensive and knock it around pretty easily with your queen and knight threats.
Prev 1 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 5162 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft496
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta96
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft558
PiGStarcraft496
RuFF_SC2 181
SpeCial 66
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1027
Hyuk 54
Leta 43
Bale 30
Noble 20
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm194
Counter-Strike
taco 599
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox739
C9.Mang0306
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor638
Other Games
summit1g9623
Coldzera 818
JimRising 535
Sick125
ViBE63
ArmadaUGS43
Liquid`Ken9
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick722
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 98
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo810
• Stunt304
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 20m
Online Event
7h 20m
FEL
12h 20m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 20m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 20m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.