• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:46
CEST 01:46
KST 08:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7677 users

[GSL] Blizzard Cup Grand Finals - Page 483

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 481 482 483 484 485 495 Next
tuho12345
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
4482 Posts
December 17 2011 18:55 GMT
#9641
OMFG best fucking final of the history of SC2!!! Fuck the opening ceremony should have saved it until the last minute
gradotude
Profile Joined October 2009
United States196 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-17 18:58:43
December 17 2011 18:57 GMT
#9642
On December 18 2011 03:23 ffadicted wrote:
I don't understand how so many people can like game 7. Don't get me wrong, it was exciting, but DRG throwing away piles of ultras and brood lords just makes me so mad that I can't really take the game seriously. Good game, exciting, but hardly the "best/most memorable/etc game ever". Also what a weird series lol It got exciting at the end but it was basically 6 one sided games and 1 mistake filled game (I guess taldarim was pretty good, def the best game of the series). I don't think it comes close to how good sC vs. Nestea was.

Congrats to both players, and special congrats to MMA for winning the cup. It was a great year for sc2 in 2011, looking forward to 2012!


I agree to an extent... I was also disappointed when DRG lost many ultras and broodlords in what was really a senseless attack. But, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't NesTea make a big mistake with his flock of mutas in his game vs sC game before his now legendary infestor finish?

I think if people are measuring "epicness" by quantity of mistakes, then perhaps jjakji vs leenock are the games to look to, as there seemed to be relatively few WTF mistakes in that series. NesTea vs sC g5 did have quite a few mistakes as well, so I do not think it is a very good counterexample to how MMA vs DRG's g7 was epic, memorable, and LIKED. that game 7 is generally liked shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.
Deshkar
Profile Joined June 2011
Singapore1244 Posts
December 17 2011 18:59 GMT
#9643
Just watched the VODs, totally sick series, DRG was pretty close at winning the last match several times but MMA managed to hold him back thinly.

Series of the year?
Jimmy Raynor
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
902 Posts
December 17 2011 19:04 GMT
#9644
Hey, is there a playlist somewhere of the songs played between games?
darlhet
Profile Joined March 2011
Italy548 Posts
December 17 2011 19:04 GMT
#9645
On December 18 2011 03:59 Deshkar wrote:
Just watched the VODs, totally sick series, DRG was pretty close at winning the last match several times but MMA managed to hold him back thinly.

Series of the year?

its the best starcraft series so far considering all the drama involved
"i feel like im wasting your time" qxc to whitera after getting crushed 0-4
Beren
Profile Joined June 2010
United States514 Posts
December 17 2011 19:05 GMT
#9646
I remember the 4th game about to start and I was thinking well this shit is over. This was after they were talking about DRG's face. Then I wake up later to Artosis and Tasteless screaming and I see broodlords pushing on MMA's natural and he hit a money fungal that killed a shit ton of vikings. Then DRG's expo goes down and soon after GG. Then they start screaming and I'm like wtf game # is this? My eyes got wide and I said FUCK! haha I can't believe I slept through all that.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
December 17 2011 19:05 GMT
#9647
On December 18 2011 03:52 MrCon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2011 03:45 Big J wrote:
On December 18 2011 03:23 ffadicted wrote:
I don't understand how so many people can like game 7. Don't get me wrong, it was exciting, but DRG throwing away piles of ultras and brood lords just makes me so mad that I can't really take the game seriously. Good game, exciting, but hardly the "best/most memorable/etc game ever". Also what a weird series lol It got exciting at the end but it was basically 6 one sided games and 1 mistake filled game (I guess taldarim was pretty good, def the best game of the series). I don't think it comes close to how good sC vs. Nestea was.

Congrats to both players, and special congrats to MMA for winning the cup. It was a great year for sc2 in 2011, looking forward to 2012!


haven't seen any other games, but game 7 was sooo awesome.
I don't know where you saw DRG "throwing" away units. Apart from the one attack with broodlords and Ultralisks he always traded well or even advantegous. He really didn't lose the game in a fight, but in the macro war.

Yeah. You could argue that he "threw" the ultras that he sent to the 4th, but they still made a good amount of damage.
All other times he dived into tanks and bunkers in the middle of the map he traded fairly well.


Well, I guess he didn't trade well there, but he delayed mining by quite a bit and killed some scvs, so I think the economical damage was quite good enough, to call it rather even.
Not to mention that strategically he HAD to attack as he went ultralisks. It is their big weakness that they are not good when the opponent has time for them to prepare or just is even in supply with an ultrabased army.
mutantmagnet
Profile Joined June 2009
United States3807 Posts
December 17 2011 19:06 GMT
#9648
On December 18 2011 03:23 ffadicted wrote:
I don't understand how so many people can like game 7. Don't get me wrong, it was exciting, but DRG throwing away piles of ultras and brood lords just makes me so mad that I can't really take the game seriously. Good game, exciting, but hardly the "best/most memorable/etc game ever". Also what a weird series lol It got exciting at the end but it was basically 6 one sided games and 1 mistake filled game (I guess taldarim was pretty good, def the best game of the series). I don't think it comes close to how good sC vs. Nestea was.

Congrats to both players, and special congrats to MMA for winning the cup. It was a great year for sc2 in 2011, looking forward to 2012!



He wasn't throwing away Ultras until he started throwing away broodlords and by that point the amount of ultras he lost was minor compared to the number of ultras he used effectively before then.

At first I was angry with his poor engagement with the Broodlords but about 5 minutes later it became clear to me he had to make that engagement because his only expansions were almost in siege range of the tanks on the cliffs. That meant once MMA got enough marines to push on any of those expansions the siege cover and viking cover would've turned the game into an unrecoverable loss right then and there.

His actions extended the game for another 10 minutes and gave him an opportunity to close out with a win.

The only thing I found aggravating was the southern base at red health after that engagement and there was nothing in the game that told me whether or not DRGs queens defending his main were dead or being used for larva injections. He really needed to make some transfusions on that hatchery or the northern one that dropped into yellow health. The time it took for MMA to snipe either one would've been enough for two queens to bring a hatch to half health and that would've been an important buffer in giving DRG more time to counter the snipes.
velkira
Profile Joined February 2011
12 Posts
December 17 2011 19:06 GMT
#9649
응원해주신 모든분들 너무너무 감사드리구, 아직도 꿈만 같네요. @MVPDongRaeGu 수호 너무 수고했구, 다음에 또 만나서 재밌는 경기 했으면 좋겠다 !


my quick translation

Thank you for everyone that cheered for me. I still feel like I am dreaming. You did a great job DRG, and next time we meet, I hope we have another great series.
absalom86
Profile Joined April 2010
Iceland1770 Posts
December 17 2011 19:08 GMT
#9650
On December 18 2011 04:06 velkira wrote:
응원해주신 모든분들 너무너무 감사드리구, 아직도 꿈만 같네요. @MVPDongRaeGu 수호 너무 수고했구, 다음에 또 만나서 재밌는 경기 했으면 좋겠다 !


my quick translation

Thank you for everyone that cheered for me. I still feel like I am dreaming. You did a great job DRG, and next time we meet, I hope we have another great series.


thanks for the translation, although I'm a bit disappointed he wasn't calling dongraegu the patron saint of heroin like another poster pointed out .
Thief @ #teamliquid @ Quakenet
Copenap
Profile Joined October 2010
723 Posts
December 17 2011 19:22 GMT
#9651
Now that I had 6 hours to think about the series I'm still amazed. The last game had to be scripted, never saw anything close to this.
Chicane
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7875 Posts
December 17 2011 19:22 GMT
#9652
Oh man I wish I had the chance to watch these games live. That's so crazy that MMA won 3 in a row, and then almost lost the series. I'm glad it finished 4-3 since they are both awesome players, and I'm really glad MMA won. :D
Canucklehead
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada5074 Posts
December 17 2011 19:24 GMT
#9653
Stayed up till 5am in the morning watching this series and it didn't disappoint! Game 7 was game of the year by far!! Fitting to have the last gsl finals of the year being so epic after so many crap finals. Plus, it even top leenock/jjakji for best finals! That game 7 was too back and forth man. I really thought and was cheering for drg to break mma in the end, but those 2 hero tanks were too much!
Top 10 favourite pros: MKP, MVP, MC, Nestea, DRG, Jaedong, Flash, Life, Creator, Leenock
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
December 17 2011 19:25 GMT
#9654
MVP lost his TLPD 1st place by the way, to MMA obviously. He lost it after their semifinal, I think he was 1st for months and months, dunno exactly how much but it's still a big deal.
FuzzyJAM
Profile Joined July 2010
Scotland9300 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-17 19:32:07
December 17 2011 19:27 GMT
#9655
Regarding "best finals", I think Leenock v Jjakji demonstrated the highest level of play across a match by a good amount while MVP v TOP @ Daybreak was arguably the best individual game - that PDD mass nuke drop was simply glorious and my favourite SC2 moment.

So for gameplay overall, this was definitely not the best as far as I'm concerned. However, in terms of excitement and story, this was pretty amazing and maybe my favourite.


Fun fact: I had to go to work at 34:00 into game 7 just as DRG looked like he could somehow claw his way back with the Broods. Jeez, that was pretty terrible going through work wondering what happened, and it's not like I could ask anyone the score like football.
Did you ever say Yes to a single joy?
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-17 19:31:02
December 17 2011 19:30 GMT
#9656
On December 18 2011 03:59 Deshkar wrote:
Just watched the VODs, totally sick series, DRG was pretty close at winning the last match several times but MMA managed to hold him back thinly.

Series of the year?

I think I still like better Leenock vs Jjakji, even if today's serie has emotionally impacted me more. I preferred the LeenockJjakji crowd too. Today I was physically feeling the game, but the LeenockJjakji impressed me more at a gameplay level.
Different series, both amazing in a different way

edit : hey, just as I post that, poster above me says it better than I did
zyzski
Profile Joined May 2010
United States698 Posts
December 17 2011 19:33 GMT
#9657
nothing will be better than the GSL
TYBG
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
December 17 2011 19:37 GMT
#9658
On December 18 2011 04:33 zyzski wrote:
nothing will be better than the GSL

Even when they had the worst finals I already thought that :p
wklbishop
Profile Joined July 2011
United States1286 Posts
December 17 2011 19:37 GMT
#9659
I just wanted to say that the GSL has had many shitty finals and this has not been their fault by any means so it's nice to see them close the year off with the most epic of finals (at least in terms of drama and story) which the production totally deserve for being able to give such well-organized finals each season.

I hope this finals excites enough viewers to be fans of SC2 and helps grow the SC2 community in Korea especially since they seen to be having a hard time from what I've been told.

GO GO GO GO, GREAT GAMES burying all that drama and securing the reputation of the GSL as the highest level of play out there.
Gameplay > Personality
mordk
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Chile8385 Posts
December 17 2011 19:38 GMT
#9660
I now pity those poor folks that are going to cancel their GSL subscription. There's nothing like the GSL in SC2 terms.
Prev 1 481 482 483 484 485 495 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever605
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe114
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8422
Liquid`Hasu1192
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam602
JimRising 433
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream318
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 15m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.