• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:15
CEST 18:15
KST 01:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7854 users

[G] TvZ: Double reactor w/ great transition

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
s00pr
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden94 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-06 07:04:49
October 05 2011 15:19 GMT
#1
Consider viewing the Liquipedia page for recent updates to the page layout and content
Hi guys! I'm writing this guide in order to provide a great new popular opening strategy versus Zerg. In addition it uses a very nice transition aswell.

I first saw this played by (T)ThorZaIN pretty recent after his return from Korea in DH Valencia vs DRG in the final (I believe Day9 analyzed this game on daily #348), so this has probably been seen more on the Korean scene I can imagine. Later on I recognized the opening when for example (T)MMA played his TvZ vs LosirA in the MLG Global Invitational so this makes me feel it is really such a strong strategy.

Next section is gonna be seperated in parts for easier viewing:

General idea:
First thing in this opening is pointing towards the first attack/pressure against the zerg with the use of double reactors. You will have1 at a barrack and 1 on the factory allowing 4-6 hellions and a nice amount of marines to be out in time for a medivac elevator play in the mainbase. Meanwhile you get a fairly fast expand with huge production, great for a timing attack with loads of marines and 4-6 tanks while rallying to your troops setup.

Opening BO
+ Show Spoiler +
10 Supply
12 Barrack
13 Refinery
15 Orbital
16 Supply

Train [3] Marines

19 Factory
21-23 Command Center

Reactor on Barracks & Factory

~24 Supply
~24 Starport

[image loading]

This is what your base is likely to look like.

Attack
+ Show Spoiler +
Now you're moving out with medivac, hellions and marines. Time to get some harassment done!

Find a good ledge in the mainbase of your opponent, try to spot an overlord for your marines to kill if possible while you unload hellions up to the cliff.

This part is greatly micro intensive if you want to deal alot of damage, hellions kill the lings/drones/banes while healed marines generaly focus queen/overlord while deal additional damage and sometimes act as tanking unit for the hellions to stay behind.
Use the medivac for fancy escape mecanism if banelings or roaches try to focus your marines or hellions.

[image loading]

Charge!

Transition
+ Show Spoiler +
Alright! First attack is on the way, time to gear up for the next one and take advantage of your nice economy.

Techlab after your first medivac and build 1 Banshee
Lift Factory and build Techlab
Build Barrack on the Reactor
Lift Starport after Banshee
Build Barrack on the Techlab
Add Barrack+Techlab

[image loading]
--
Build Ebay
Siege tank and start 3rd Refinery

Get Siege tech, Stimpack, Combat shield, +1 Attack Infantry
Marines, Tanks, Medivacs are gonna come out in huge numbers :-)

Execution
+ Show Spoiler +
As any other guide this requires general game knowledge like reacting to a scouted early spire and everything SC II has to offer in gameplay, this is a guide, for a specific strategy, not your overall play.
While you attack with your second huge push if you choiced to do so, planting a 3rd command center and adding more factorys+barracks while also more upgrades from ebay and armory is a great idea!

Map choice
+ Show Spoiler +
Preferely used on smaller maps but can have great success on even the largest map, Tal'darim. Every game is gonna be different, so just try to make the best out of the situation.

Replays
+ Show Spoiler +
Here I will provide replays of myself playing the european ladder
http://drop.sc/40850
http://drop.sc/40851
http://drop.sc/40852
http://drop.sc/40853

http://www.dreamhack.se/DHS11/2011/09/21/the-replays/
This is for the Thorzain replay, you are looking for Game #2 Tal'darim of the Grand Final
I can't really find many replays of high level korea players at all, have some? Share!

VOD
+ Show Spoiler +

MLG Global Invitational
http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/events/3-mlg-starcraft-2-global-invitational-2011
Make sure its Game #3

Mr. Day[9]:
http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-348-p1-thorzain-vs-drg-tvz-5576448

And if you want to watch me play the strat, I use it alot:http://www.justin.tv/s00pr
http://www.justin.tv/s00pr/b/296672143 It's the VOD of my replay matches, however I think there was a TvP before all the TvZ madness actually started.


I myself am not taking any credit for this strategy, I only try to contribute. I didn't find any post nor guide about this specific strategy so I decided to take a few hours and write it. If someone with greater knowledge then me can contribute or wish me to edit something out, tell me so. I'm only a diamond terran on the EU server.

Thanks for reading, feel free to give feedback or just discuss the strategy in this thread.
Peace!

Infinity gaming's thThechronic
EDIT *4
It seems like some high end user figured he would edit my whole liquipedia post, so it looks nothing like this post.. I hope its still usefull to someone, as I wont be updating that liquipost anymore..
*EDIT 3*
Been cleaning up the Liquipedia page, how do you guys like it?
*EDIT 2*
It's been officially added under matchup TvZ - Double reactor

*EDIT 1*
I started to add this to the Liquipedia duo request. How does it look so far?
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Double_reactor_(vs._Zerg)

OH and... Terran love!
[image loading] [image loading] [image loading] [image loading] [image loading]


+ Show Spoiler +
My english is bad sorry!
http://www.justin.tv/s00pr
http://infgaming.net/
♥
TolEranceNA
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada434 Posts
October 05 2011 15:23 GMT
#2
Marine Hellion Elevator. Nice contribution! Really helps me as a zerg to find the timing for it for me to counter it

Very nice.
Arotsis:"Nestea, what do you think about Zerg?" Nestea:"...Sad."
Neddy
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia13 Posts
October 05 2011 15:27 GMT
#3
This worked surprisingly well in the game you mention. Really strong push that doesn't have any massive drawbacks... I'm eager to try it.

Thanks for the BO
BigBossX
Profile Joined September 2008
United Kingdom357 Posts
October 05 2011 15:32 GMT
#4
Thanks for the build order, I've been trying to mimic it since I saw MMA use it but couldn't quite get it right.

On October 06 2011 00:27 Neddy wrote:
This worked surprisingly well in the game you mention. Really strong push that doesn't have any massive drawbacks... I'm eager to try it.

Thanks for the BO


Roach play can be difficult to deal with and kinda forces you into defensive play, but can always drop hellions. At least in my experience.
Wrathsc2
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2025 Posts
October 05 2011 17:25 GMT
#5
when do you build your second gas?
A marine walks into a bar and asks, "Wheres the counter?"
s00pr
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden94 Posts
October 05 2011 17:48 GMT
#6
On October 06 2011 02:25 radiantshadow92 wrote:
when do you build your second gas?

Watching the replay of Thorzain he gets it in the middle of making the Tech lab for the Factory. I seem to get it around the same time aswell. You dont generaly want to get behind on gas if your gonna get alot of early siege tanks and upgrades which you are. Around "moving out with CC to expand" seem to be a good time.
Also thanks guys for replying! Have fun with the build while the zergs still dont expect it ;-)
padfoota
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Taiwan1571 Posts
October 05 2011 17:49 GMT
#7
why not just go for the slayers TvZ BF hellion elevator style? Plus this is easily stopped with 3 queens sniping the medevac if the base is small.
Stop procrastinating
phisku
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Belgium864 Posts
October 05 2011 17:51 GMT
#8
thx for the time you've put into that.
s00pr
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden94 Posts
October 05 2011 18:15 GMT
#9
On October 06 2011 02:49 padfoota wrote:
why not just go for the slayers TvZ BF hellion elevator style? Plus this is easily stopped with 3 queens sniping the medevac if the base is small.

This actually happend to me in a replay I posted on Shattered. I'll provide some neat screenshots to tell the tail.

+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]
He lost the 3 queens ,_,

As for the BF opening, I dont really know why since I havn't compared them but having early BF compared to early double Reactor in this state I think reactors might be better.
If your gonna tech to tanks anyway might aswell save the BF gas and get your structures built earlier and units built earlier. Correct me if im wrong though.
ftjust
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden43 Posts
October 05 2011 18:36 GMT
#10
awesome post! im gonna try it next tvz i play fighting!
Burgath
Profile Joined June 2011
Hungary26 Posts
October 05 2011 18:38 GMT
#11
On October 06 2011 03:15 s00pr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 06 2011 02:49 padfoota wrote:
why not just go for the slayers TvZ BF hellion elevator style? Plus this is easily stopped with 3 queens sniping the medevac if the base is small.

This actually happend to me in a replay I posted on Shattered. I'll provide some neat screenshots to tell the tail.

+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]
He lost the 3 queens ,_,

As for the BF opening, I dont really know why since I havn't compared them but having early BF compared to early double Reactor in this state I think reactors might be better.
If your gonna tech to tanks anyway might aswell save the BF gas and get your structures built earlier and units built earlier. Correct me if im wrong though.


You're right, bf is only +5 damage now, another hellion is a lot more.
RukKus
Profile Joined October 2010
United States197 Posts
October 05 2011 18:52 GMT
#12
s00pr, or thechronic, that was a great VOD set you posted. I cannot access replay files on my computer at work, so I always appreciate VOD/streams to show off a build.

The build is very strong. Seems the Zerg must invest a lot of production time in dealing with the drop while you build an army at home... and by the time its dealt with, you have an army twice the size waiting back at base.

I did see you stockpiled 1000+ minerals pretty often during that initial drop. How much more powerful would the follow-through be if we worked on our macro during that first drop! I say so because I have the same trouble keeping my mineral low. This is a solid opener which isn't cheese or all in at all. Keep practicing keeping your money low as well as dealing some damage, and I figure it would be very very difficult for the Zerg to keep up!
Micro... Kill Kill! Macro ... Build Build! ... Micro ... Kill Kill! Macro ... Build Build... Stim...RAAAAAGE!
RukKus
Profile Joined October 2010
United States197 Posts
October 05 2011 18:59 GMT
#13
As Day9 said in his daily, many people [including me] stress about getting upgrades very fast, but they neglect army size. I notice this build gets into the 150+ food range extremely fast as well as offering consistent threat so the Zerg is pressure to produce more to deal with it. It is making me rethink my TvZ, as my only build lately has been 2 rax into fast upgrades... and here I wonder why I get demolished in the mid game so much!
Micro... Kill Kill! Macro ... Build Build! ... Micro ... Kill Kill! Macro ... Build Build... Stim...RAAAAAGE!
BreakeR.
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria220 Posts
October 05 2011 19:07 GMT
#14
Thx!!
Nice write up, i will try it.
The hardest part about being smart is accepting that others are stupid. -Tasteless
Zinjil
Profile Joined February 2011
United States166 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-05 19:10:49
October 05 2011 19:09 GMT
#15
I use this build exclusively in TvZ right now, after having it used on me a few times. 8 marines and 4 hellions can kill an astounding amount of lings/queens, and even with sloppy followup this build gets you super far ahead using almost only mineral units, leaving you free to tech to whatever you want and slowly add gas as necessary. the only thing I've ever had trouble with was a roach build, but most of those people just go all-in with those builds at my level, and marines and hellions up a ramp aren't too bad against roaches.
Waah
Profile Joined February 2011
United States120 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-06 04:35:19
October 05 2011 19:15 GMT
#16
Looks solid, will try out and give some feedback later tonight.

Edit: Worked okay in all the TvZs played today but I'm a bit shaky with the execution and the transition, so lost more games than I should have.
Copenap
Profile Joined October 2010
723 Posts
October 05 2011 19:18 GMT
#17
Addind this also to Liquipedia would add infite <3 of gratefulness to your work
jhk0219
Profile Joined March 2011
United States189 Posts
October 05 2011 19:38 GMT
#18
High Master/GM zerg here.

This build is super hard to deal with, especially because of how limited the Zerg's vision is. From our perspective, it's hard to figure out what you're exactly doing, because as opposed to a regular hellion expand, there isn't a factory in front yard to let you know of timing for roach warren, etc. Unless you've played against this build a few times, or have seen it in action a lot, it's hard to exactly know when it's coming.

Like the OP mentioned, using three queens to snipe the medivac can result in some big loss, if the terran's any good. It's highly unlikely that you have creep spread all over the edges of the main base by the time this attack strikes, so queens will never be able to catch up to a well-microd medivac.

I've seen Idra defend this with spine + queen +ling, but then again it's Idra..... and the Terran also made some bad micro mistakes during the engagement.

I think the only safe way for the zerg to defend this is to get some early roaches, but I always feel like carving out my own flesh when I do this, because roaches are so expensive and they provide so little mobility/map control in comparison to lings.

I'm sure some super smart Korean player will come up with a way to deal with this, but as of right now, I basically do 2 base roach openers every time just to stop this + hellion expands which are the most popular builds atm.

jhk0219
Profile Joined March 2011
United States189 Posts
October 05 2011 19:39 GMT
#19
I also hate the OP for posting this because every Terran that I face on ladder for the next 134314 days will be using this
Reaper101
Profile Joined July 2011
United States11 Posts
October 05 2011 21:12 GMT
#20
On October 06 2011 04:39 jhk0219 wrote:
I also hate the OP for posting this because every Terran that I face on ladder for the next 134314 days will be using this


Don't worry, tomorrow there will be a guide posted on how to beat this
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 50
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 515
BRAT_OK 54
IndyStarCraft 50
MindelVK 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 30590
Bisu 2814
Shuttle 1807
Hyuk 996
Mini 888
EffOrt 838
Larva 446
ZerO 258
Soma 247
firebathero 230
[ Show more ]
hero 148
Sexy 54
Hyun 44
Mong 40
PianO 39
Trap 37
Killer 34
Pusan 34
ToSsGirL 26
sorry 26
zelot 16
Bale 12
Terrorterran 12
Rock 11
Sacsri 10
JulyZerg 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc10494
qojqva1691
Dendi905
Counter-Strike
fl0m2568
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1460
crisheroes1110
Liquid`Hasu612
Other Games
singsing1998
B2W.Neo935
FrodaN926
Beastyqt680
Mlord410
Hui .226
Livibee184
Liquid`VortiX164
KnowMe162
ArmadaUGS114
Mew2King74
Trikslyr30
CosmosSc2 14
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 52
• StrangeGG 37
• mYiSmile122
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 13
• Azhi_Dahaki5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7792
League of Legends
• Jankos1761
Other Games
• Shiphtur252
• WagamamaTV199
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
45m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 45m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 45m
INu's Battles
19h 45m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 45m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.