• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:33
CEST 01:33
KST 08:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10230 users

[D]Mining; Split or Build first?

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Malloy
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada166 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 18:31:19
April 29 2011 18:28 GMT
#1
Good Day Everyone,

While watching MikeD's stream yesterday, several of his regular viewers and myself had a discussion regarding the initial seconds of the game; is splitting your miners first better than building your initial worker first. I've done a little math and hope to hear some of your opinions as well.

On average, the player will split his workers to mineral patches so that you end up with 4 workers on close patches and 2 on far patches, so I'll assume this is true for the purpose of the following calculations. I'm also going to assume that it takes 2 in-game seconds to either split workers or build the first worker and hotkey your initial building. My last assumption is that the travel time of your initial workers will be the same no matter which path is chosen, so I will not include it in my calculations.

Build First
With the above assumptions, choosing to build your worker before splitting will generate an immediate loss of roughly 8.6 minerals. (This is the amount of minerals that would be gained with the additional 2 in-game seconds with 6 workers split 4close/2far.)

Split First
Choosing to split first will generate an immediate loss of 1.43 minerals and an anticipated loss of 1.43 minerals for each worker built immediately after the first. As soon as there is a cut to probes, this loss is nulified. This means;
Protoss;
10 gate will lose roughly 5.7 minerals overall. (Loss over 68 in-game seconds)
12 gate will lose roughly 8.6 minerals overall. (Loss over 102 in-game seconds or 90.66 in-game seconds with 1 Chronoboost)
13 gate will lose roughly 14.3 minerals by the 16th probe. (Loss over 170 in-game seconds or 147.3 with two chronoboosts, 136 with 3 CBs)
Note 1: Chronoboost will not effect the minerals lost, but if chrono causes an accidental cut, it may stop the loss chain.
Terran;
15 Orbital will lose roughly 12.9 minerals overall. (Loss over 153 in-games seconds)
Zerg;
Larva mechanic nullifies this debate...everything I calculated says split first.

So the math seems to tell me to split first as Zerg, Build first as Terran, and that Toss should change based on their openings...10 or 12 gate = Split first, 13 gate = Build first.

I understand that we are talking about a very small amount of minerals...but I know that mirror matchups can be largely effected by such differences. Let me know your thoughts on the matter!

+ Show Spoiler +
My other post on close mineral patches clarifies the reasons for some of my assumptions;
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=197826





gejfsyd
Profile Joined September 2009
Poland156 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 18:37:09
April 29 2011 18:34 GMT
#2
Your math may be right, but your assumptions are wrong. For average player it takes more time to split your workers then to build a worker.
Malloy
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada166 Posts
April 29 2011 18:38 GMT
#3
On April 30 2011 03:34 gejfsyd wrote:
Your math may be right, but your assumptions are long. For average player it takes more time to split your workers then to build a worker.


The selection and first click to minerals is the more important part...splitting the second half afterwards is only beneficial to determine the average ratio of close/far patches. I do not think it would effect the numbers too much. (Change the split and it will equally effect both options anyways.)
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
April 29 2011 18:42 GMT
#4
Very interesting results for Zerg and Toss. I never would've thought that split or build first would depend on the race.

Even though it doesn't affect me cause I'm Terran and I already build first, I'm sure it will help out tons of Zergs and 13-gating Toss players.
agahamsorr0w
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands359 Posts
April 29 2011 18:45 GMT
#5
i think its better to split first because:

_the 6 workers outmine the 1 worker ur building so you will mine more
_with ctrl+f1 you can select workers so fast that you can ''gain'' 1 second.

building a worker first will hurt you in my opinion because those 6 workers will not be mining untill u put them on the minerals. and 6 workers outmine the 1 or 2 second delay on your 7th worker.

with the individual splitting you can make your builds even better and get faster hatches as zerg. splitting is the last thing you want to master though but its definately worth it. most players wont think about it but you can lose lots of minerals if your probes run between mineral patches without mining.
deanyo
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom206 Posts
April 29 2011 18:45 GMT
#6
The math is flawed, there is no way it takes 2 seconds to build a worker, in fact i wouldnt be supprised if it was around 0.5 for myself. Personally i grab 6 workers, set them to the top far mineral patch, and then quickly build my worker as i pull off 3 and send them to the bottom.
twitch.tv/deanyo
NrG.ZaM
Profile Joined March 2008
United States267 Posts
April 29 2011 18:51 GMT
#7
It takes 2 seconds to start building the 7th worker? Just center your cursor during the loading screen and asap click and build, I don't see how that can ever take multiple seconds :O

On the actual topic though, I never really considered which would be better, building worker was always prioritized in bw so I just do that, and I play zerg anyway so even a small delay won't delay workers after that first one since I have larvae anyway.
Anomandaris
Profile Joined July 2010
Afghanistan440 Posts
April 29 2011 18:51 GMT
#8
lol everyone builds first and splits then. 100% sure that is the best way.
Malloy
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada166 Posts
April 29 2011 18:54 GMT
#9
On April 30 2011 03:45 deanyo wrote:
The math is flawed, there is no way it takes 2 seconds to build a worker, in fact i wouldnt be supprised if it was around 0.5 for myself. Personally i grab 6 workers, set them to the top far mineral patch, and then quickly build my worker as i pull off 3 and send them to the bottom.


In this case time will only change the base value, not the ratios or amount of time for the losses to equalize accross the two options. Keep in mind that it likely takes your brain close to 0.25 seconds to tell your hands to start...so adding that to your 0.5 seconds means that 0.75 seconds turns into 1.125 in-games seconds which is likely. (Also, I'm using averages here...)
BlindSC2
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom435 Posts
April 29 2011 18:55 GMT
#10
I build first and always am able to start the second probe immediatly anyway, although I see what youre saying if someone were doing say a 10 gate opening or whatnot

Otherwise 100% do build first in my opinion
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools; because they have to say something - Plato
bMn30
Profile Joined January 2011
United States113 Posts
April 29 2011 19:00 GMT
#11
You can see how long it takes a player to build their first worker using the Build Order tab at a Score Screen. Most players take about 1 second, but the range is ordinarily between .48 seconds and a little over a second.
Monta
Profile Joined September 2010
United States60 Posts
April 29 2011 19:01 GMT
#12
0.25 second reaction time? That's ridiculous. Please don't make a thread like this without actually looking into.

I build then split but I could see sending all, building, then splitting being the best
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
April 29 2011 19:03 GMT
#13
I think it slightly depends on the player. Since I have a keyboard that has macro keys, what I do is hold E to build my Probe (since I'm Protoss) and when the moment the game starts I click on the Nexus and it starts my worker. Then immediately after I hit the Nexus (and Probe starts building) my pinkie is easily able (and already positioned) to hit my G12 key which is CTRL + F1. So basically, I start building my Probe right away and already have my workers selected to send them on their way.

I'm still working on my getting the "perfect" split... But I seriously get them both started almost simultaneously that I think in my case it's better to build the probe first. In a general sense, I think it depends on how quickly you are able to do it. Before I had my keyboard I would build probe first and since my mouse was already in the vicinity of the probes, I'd box them and get them moving, and try and split them as they were getting off the start mining.

And as Blindgamer said, I've always found that I'm able to have no delay between building my second probe and the completion of the first one... So I'm personally of the opinion to build first (that and I remember seeing it a few times in some pro games that I was watching, so I just assumed it was the better way to go).
Malloy
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada166 Posts
April 29 2011 19:04 GMT
#14
On April 30 2011 04:01 Monta wrote:
0.25 second reaction time? That's ridiculous. Please don't make a thread like this without actually looking into.


Actually, it's 0.21...
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/stats.php
Battlescore
Profile Joined August 2010
United States61 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 19:08:28
April 29 2011 19:06 GMT
#15
As a longtime Terran player, I build first then send workers to minerals. But really what matters most is that you get your commands in as soon as humanly possible and you select the best mineral(s) to drop your group of workers into. The thing to avoid is having one or two SCVs confused about what patch they should be mining.

My tactic is to spam S as the match is starting, and select my CC as quick as possible. Then as fast as I can, box my workers into one group and send them all to one mineral patch in the middle of the line, preferably the closest one to the CC. My "split" is to grab one of SCVs and send him to a patch away from the middle, but not all the way to the very end. (This is the SCV that would be left straggling if you sent all workers to one mineral without splitting). It took me a while to get good at selecting the single SCV without mis-clicking and screwing it all up, but the end result is I rarely rarely have stragglers left trying to find their patch to mine and everyone has their minerals back at the base in time for me to produce my next SCV with zero CC downtime.

That being said, the gain made from doing this is very small, and in a best-case scenario you will be maybe a half-second ahead of your opponent - hardly game-changing.
RoachyRoach
Profile Joined February 2011
81 Posts
April 29 2011 19:07 GMT
#16
Well doesnt it make sense that zerg drone production is limited my minerals while terran and toss are limited by time?

So zerg players should splitt first.

Personally I send all workers to 1 patch->build probe->take 3 and splitt
Polatrite
Profile Joined August 2010
United States135 Posts
April 29 2011 19:14 GMT
#17
I actually double-checked and graphed your math because I was unsure if the compounding would actually occur (instead of a linear loss) and turned up roughly the same results - interesting.

I can say for a fact that I've never lost a game by a razor thin margin like this, though, fortunately. I split first without splitting, then build. The lazy way.
I'm not going to cut my hair any time soon. I'm gonna let it grow out - I'm gonna become a shag monster. Shaggy monster, I guess, is what I should have said. I will ALSO be a shag monster. day[9] the shag monster, who plays both games and girls *snap*
YouthSC
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United Kingdom355 Posts
April 29 2011 19:15 GMT
#18
I always start the game with the cursor over the hatchery, so it takes practically no time to build a worker. Basically I am moving the cursor to split whilst I click and press "S - D". Then I split, so basically I think this is the best method =)
The more I practice, the luckier I get!
mYiKane
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada1772 Posts
April 29 2011 19:21 GMT
#19
On April 30 2011 03:51 Anomandaris wrote:
lol everyone builds first and splits then. 100% sure that is the best way.


everyone also believed the sun rotated around the earth a few hundred years ago. you're just appealing to popular belief!

interesting thread though, i always assumed that splitting first or building first would make no difference. thanks for the contribution!
agahamsorr0w
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands359 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 19:33:05
April 29 2011 19:23 GMT
#20
i knew people would start getting mad at this thread... everyone seems to have their own opinion. it seems not important but it actually is.

as for what i said about the 1-2 second delay on the probe, if u split first then build then your probe will be created at the 1-2 second of the game. depending on how you split. this means you will lose 5 minerals for the delayed probe max but the 6 workers will mine more than 5 minerals. thats why i think splitting first is better.

Edit: the reason building first could potentially be better is because you dont know where you will spawn. the mineral patches could be above the nexus or beneath the nexus. you need some time to react so if you build first you will be able to locate the mineral patches and click with maximum precision. if you are focussed when the game is loading, you can prepare to locate the mineral patches and click on them as fast as you would if you built a probe first.

Edit nr.2 : yea sure this wont matter too much but if you want to maximize the efficiency of your build by doing this kind of things its only gonna help you. isnt it better to build a nexus 5 seconds earlier? or constantly building stuff and have more?
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft232
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta19
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft232
Nina 87
ViBE65
SpeCial 57
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 177
Noble 70
Hyuk 57
NaDa 38
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm176
League of Legends
Doublelift4572
Counter-Strike
minikerr9
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox334
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4881
Khaldor664
Other Games
summit1g7764
FrodaN1789
Coldzera 804
shahzam506
JimRising 391
C9.Mang0329
KnowMe199
ArmadaUGS64
Mew2King47
PPMD34
CosmosSc2 15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick701
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH359
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21236
Other Games
• imaqtpie760
• Shiphtur170
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 27m
Online Event
11h 27m
FEL
16h 27m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 27m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 27m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.