• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:31
CEST 05:31
KST 12:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9562 users

[M] (4) Cuatros Mesas

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-05 23:22:52
July 22 2012 12:22 GMT
#1
[image loading]

In my ongoing attempt to resuscitate the all-spawn 4 player map by fusioning rotational and reflective symmetry, I now bring you Cuatros Mesas.

Published (v 0.5) on EU & NA servers

156x144
4 spawns (all enabled)
16 bases (2 center bases are 6m1hy)
2 watchtowers

Angled overview:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


It's basically a reworked Rusty Cage but smaller.

Let me know what you think.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 12:35:51
July 22 2012 12:34 GMT
#2
I like it. It's interesting and I can't quite work out how everything will play out from a glance. Is it uploaded anywhere?

A little bit worried about Top vs Top and Bottom vs Bottom though - I would imagine Terrans expanding towards with PF (and possibly tanks) would be a bit tricky to stop?
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 12:37:48
July 22 2012 12:35 GMT
#3
Looks very solid. I don´t see any obvious flaws. Unfortunately there is no way of telling if all spawns are balanced without extensive testing on the highest level. Then again this is true for any map.
Could you maybe move the tower one or two hexes to the bottom so you can sneak by larger armies?

tl;dr: good job
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 12:54:53
July 22 2012 12:53 GMT
#4
I used online translator on the word "resussitate" without any results

That map looks otherwise nice, except i dont understand why didnt you go full reflective symmetry instead. You would have avoided so many slight imbalanced.

Like top left, and bottom right bases have 3rd linear with main and 2nd, meaning its much easier to defend vs air harassment. Also their thirds seem to be farther away from the destructiple rocks, meaning its not as shootable by units from the other side.

Also are the aesthetics not finished? You should tell that in the OP.
sorrowptoss
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada1431 Posts
July 22 2012 13:37 GMT
#5
I just want to point out something in the map creation community. Besides this map, and very few other maps, there are only protoss-based maps that are created. I mean, I don't know but map creators seem to prefer the color schemes and textures of protoss-based maps, but it would be nice if there were more maps like this.

About this map, I would say that the only read problem is vertical spawn positions, meaning 11 o'clock vs 7 o'clock and 1 o'clock vs 5 o'clock, because the 4th "normal" base is really close to both mains, and since it's on a higher ground, tank pushing would be strong, perhaps too strong, I don't know it's just my opinion. But generally I think the fact that all places on this map have at least two different entry points, so that's great for flanking for zerg,
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 13:50:08
July 22 2012 13:49 GMT
#6
On July 22 2012 22:37 sorrowptoss wrote:
I just want to point out something in the map creation community. Besides this map, and very few other maps, there are only protoss-based maps that are created. I mean, I don't know but map creators seem to prefer the color schemes and textures of protoss-based maps, but it would be nice if there were more maps like this.


Protoss or Xel´Naga maps are easier. You can do a pretty protoss map faster than a terran map. I myself don´t want to do zerg details because in my opinion the map would need to be creeped, which would confuse the crap out of everyone.

ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
July 22 2012 14:29 GMT
#7
Upload at EU if you haven't already. Played a lot of games yesterday on TPW maps and might do so today, too ^^
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 17:51:59
July 22 2012 17:48 GMT
#8
Tbh this looks nearly identical to Rusty Cage. I don't like it very much because of the linear expo pattern, and the layout itself is kind of boring. I mean its solid, but the symmetry doesn't make up for the lack of interesting parts. Purely subjective though, I suppose.

I think the close ground positions (vertical spawns) are going to be too close by ground. Also I don't like the middle expos being gold- terran is the most powerful race to take middle bases and golds already favor terran because their army is so mineral heavy.

[edit]

Actually I think horizontal spawn positions are going to be bad for TvZ beause Terran (and Protoss in PvZ) can take the center expo and make it very difficult for Zerg to do anything. Most of the pro players these days say forward expansions are very Terran favored.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
July 22 2012 18:42 GMT
#9
Now available on NA & EU servers.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I'll try and fix those issues and make it less boring
Next tho, is testing - see if I can get some Masters terran to PF push thru forward bases and listen to some complaints.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
July 22 2012 18:50 GMT
#10
The sets of 2 bases on the top and bottom look possibly too close when the rocks are destroyed - it makes it extremely easy to move between defending those 2 bases as well as the natural.
vibeo gane,
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 18:53:02
July 22 2012 18:52 GMT
#11
This map is incredibly standard. And that is the single greatest compliment I have ever given to a map. The more simplistic (sorry if that sounds harsh) texture patterns makes everything easily discernable, and while the expansion progression may be linear, this is also true of pretty much every ladder map.

It's nice to see a standard map with standard aesthetics that just looks like it.. works.

My only complaint is that each natural has small spots around the cliff edges which drop down, and it almost looks like you could hide a reaper at 7 o'clock.
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
July 22 2012 19:28 GMT
#12
On July 23 2012 03:52 Chargelot wrote:
This map is incredibly standard. And that is the single greatest compliment I have ever given to a map. The more simplistic (sorry if that sounds harsh) texture patterns makes everything easily discernable, and while the expansion progression may be linear, this is also true of pretty much every ladder map.

It's nice to see a standard map with standard aesthetics that just looks like it.. works.

My only complaint is that each natural has small spots around the cliff edges which drop down, and it almost looks like you could hide a reaper at 7 o'clock.


This map does not have standard aesthetics, this has no aesthetics.
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10567 Posts
July 22 2012 19:44 GMT
#13
On July 22 2012 22:37 sorrowptoss wrote:
I just want to point out something in the map creation community. Besides this map, and very few other maps, there are only protoss-based maps that are created. I mean, I don't know but map creators seem to prefer the color schemes and textures of protoss-based maps, but it would be nice if there were more maps like this.

About this map, I would say that the only read problem is vertical spawn positions, meaning 11 o'clock vs 7 o'clock and 1 o'clock vs 5 o'clock, because the 4th "normal" base is really close to both mains, and since it's on a higher ground, tank pushing would be strong, perhaps too strong, I don't know it's just my opinion. But generally I think the fact that all places on this map have at least two different entry points, so that's great for flanking for zerg,

4th base wouldn't be taken then. They would continue to expand horizontally, breaking the rocks to access the next base.

imo, Terrans is really strong on this map. Considering they have PFs, they could expand horizontally if there were horizontal spawns and slow tank push across the map. Same thing with vertical. Terran could take both the 9/3 base and the corresponding gold bases with PFs.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 20:06:44
July 22 2012 19:51 GMT
#14
On July 23 2012 04:28 Aunvilgod wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2012 03:52 Chargelot wrote:
This map is incredibly standard. And that is the single greatest compliment I have ever given to a map. The more simplistic (sorry if that sounds harsh) texture patterns makes everything easily discernable, and while the expansion progression may be linear, this is also true of pretty much every ladder map.

It's nice to see a standard map with standard aesthetics that just looks like it.. works.

My only complaint is that each natural has small spots around the cliff edges which drop down, and it almost looks like you could hide a reaper at 7 o'clock.


This map does not have standard aesthetics, this has no aesthetics.

The only thing this map is missing is foliage (including placeable objects) and something around the edges. But you get the idea that he's not going for the extremely complicated textures of the former version, Rusty Cage. Compare to:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Which has an incredibly simplistic texture set, without unnecessary doodads or texture switching

[image loading]
Extremely simplistic aesthetics, only with foliage and plant doodads.

[image loading]
etc etc etc.


The map isn't exactly aestheticless, it's just missing the final touches. It needs a fancy non-playable area, and some doodads. But it's not exactly a blank canvas:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Sure, from here he could go completely crazy with it and make it completely unreadable like Rusty Cage, But at least in its current state, the minimalistic texture set works nicely.

edit: I'm using foliage as both literal foliage and just "plant life", like doodad trees. Sorry if it's confusing.
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
July 22 2012 20:06 GMT
#15
He he - yeah the aesthetics are incomplete to say the least. I'm posting this early concept to get some good feedback before I go overboard and make the map unreadable with awesome deco. I often go too far with deco, making layout adjustments really complex. On the other hand it's hard to get useable map test feedback on a blank map.

You guys have adressed the issues that I wasn't sure about plus put light on some additional stuff I wasn't aware of.
That's what I wanted, so thanks!
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
July 22 2012 23:30 GMT
#16
Hola.
Cuatro Mesas? Four tables? Weird name for a map xP

At first, I thought it was once again similar to my map, Underwater Paradise, but realized that it's not. Phew.

Please no shifted reflective symmetry. REALLY no reason for that.
I thought this map would be cross only, but if it's not, I don't think it'll work well.
By the way I think gold bases are imbalanced.
Also: 154x144? T.T Why would you do this.

But, I want to thank you for not making a boring ass 2 player standard map.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 22 2012 23:51 GMT
#17
On July 23 2012 08:30 kim9067 wrote:
Hola.
Cuatro Mesas? Four tables? Weird name for a map xP

At first, I thought it was once again similar to my map, Underwater Paradise, but realized that it's not. Phew.

Please no shifted reflective symmetry. REALLY no reason for that.
I thought this map would be cross only, but if it's not, I don't think it'll work well.
By the way I think gold bases are imbalanced.
Also: 154x144? T.T Why would you do this.

But, I want to thank you for not making a boring ass 2 player standard map.

It's actually mixed symmetry. The main and natural are placed rotationally, the rest is closer to reflective.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Xgorden
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden24 Posts
July 23 2012 01:39 GMT
#18
I like the map, though i really feel that it should be cross only. You can easily expand close to a players natural as your forth(or third) and there is not much you can do about it.
I think that there should not be gold bases in the middle, Zergs can easily take a fast gold as a third vs a protoss. It's already good in some cases on Antiga, so this is just way to strong IMO.
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
July 23 2012 05:20 GMT
#19
On July 23 2012 08:51 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2012 08:30 kim9067 wrote:
Hola.
Cuatro Mesas? Four tables? Weird name for a map xP

At first, I thought it was once again similar to my map, Underwater Paradise, but realized that it's not. Phew.

Please no shifted reflective symmetry. REALLY no reason for that.
I thought this map would be cross only, but if it's not, I don't think it'll work well.
By the way I think gold bases are imbalanced.
Also: 154x144? T.T Why would you do this.

But, I want to thank you for not making a boring ass 2 player standard map.

It's actually mixed symmetry. The main and natural are placed rotationally, the rest is closer to reflective.

I know...
Its a mix between rotational and reflective. The thing is you can make the reflective part completely symmetrical, yet he chose shifted.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 23 2012 05:23 GMT
#20
On July 23 2012 14:20 kim9067 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2012 08:51 NewSunshine wrote:
On July 23 2012 08:30 kim9067 wrote:
Hola.
Cuatro Mesas? Four tables? Weird name for a map xP

At first, I thought it was once again similar to my map, Underwater Paradise, but realized that it's not. Phew.

Please no shifted reflective symmetry. REALLY no reason for that.
I thought this map would be cross only, but if it's not, I don't think it'll work well.
By the way I think gold bases are imbalanced.
Also: 154x144? T.T Why would you do this.

But, I want to thank you for not making a boring ass 2 player standard map.

It's actually mixed symmetry. The main and natural are placed rotationally, the rest is closer to reflective.

I know...
Its a mix between rotational and reflective. The thing is you can make the reflective part completely symmetrical, yet he chose shifted.

Well, the thing is, there's no actual reflection going on, it's more of a freestyle thing, like you'd do in a 2p map. So for all practical purposes, it's reflected, but it looking shifted or not isn't really an intentional thing. It doesn't really matter anyway.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft470
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta106
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft494
PiGStarcraft470
RuFF_SC2 176
SpeCial 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1074
Hyuk 53
Bale 31
Noble 27
Icarus 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm160
Counter-Strike
taco 606
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox777
C9.Mang0317
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor711
Other Games
summit1g10176
Coldzera 803
JimRising 510
Sick105
ViBE66
ArmadaUGS31
Liquid`Ken8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick741
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream88
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 108
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo945
• Stunt261
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 29m
Online Event
7h 29m
FEL
12h 29m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 29m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 29m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.