• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:59
CEST 08:59
KST 15:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8130 users

[M] (2) Colonial

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 11:11:13
June 10 2012 18:31 GMT
#1
Colonial
0.4
[image loading]

Other versions
+ Show Spoiler +

0.2
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Colonial II
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




Facts
Bases: 12 (10 standard, 2 half-bases with HYg)
Towers: 2
Size: 184x106

Analyzer
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]



VODs

Mappers Monthly, July 8th features Colonial II in the final game, picked by SCSLyra.
http://sv.twitch.tv/veloh15/b/324177966

--

This map is a WIP. I prefer to display it early for the community to discuss rather than keeping it for myself until I feel it's done and having some basic flaw I didn't realize because I was looking too closely.

This thread is for two maps that orgin from the same map. I'm currently testing both. Which one do you like the most and why?

--

Published as Colonial (0.3) on EU and (0.3) NA

and Colonial II on EU and NA
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
Herfelt
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark89 Posts
June 10 2012 19:00 GMT
#2
Three watchtowers are too much. I would keep the one in the middle or perhaps use two watchtowers, but closer to the center so the entire mapheight cannot be covered by the towers.
a3den
Profile Joined April 2012
704 Posts
June 10 2012 19:23 GMT
#3
This looks very good, very interesting shape.
PandaZerg
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada148 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-10 19:40:21
June 10 2012 19:40 GMT
#4
want it on NA
Zaphid
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1860 Posts
June 10 2012 19:51 GMT
#5
They layout is really weird, would love to see some games on it
I will never ever play Mech against Protoss. - MVP
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
June 10 2012 20:22 GMT
#6
wtf how big is this.

I think this map will evolve just a bit too much into splitmap stalemate.

Also make your pathing homework.
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-10 20:33:26
June 10 2012 20:32 GMT
#7
While it seems cool and fun (legitimately), I fear the underlying dynamic is expand and turtle, because even a slow army can camp the high ground near the ramp with rocks and bounce to cover any major incoming attacks, especially with those towers on the wings. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but from the look of things I don't think this was your intention. All in all, I like this better than Daybreak because it doesn't deceive you with lategame impossible bases. I think it'd be a better map if the center was open ground and not a constricted spot (assuming you keep the tower there). Alternatively you could make two bridges with a small space between them. The tower ensures that the center is powerful, but it's too hard to engage there, with your only option to avoid it two small ramps.

I feel like maybe the two small bases should be relocated as normal bases somewhere else, or things shifted around slightly to make those gold bases that don't cover the two normal expansions behind them. What if you put a normal base in that empty space at 5 and 11, with a long low ground army connecting to them? Or whatever you want to give it to one side of the map or the other.

Maybe a very small horizontal ramp leading to the middle would be cool, to let people check on the tower easily.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
June 10 2012 20:39 GMT
#8
The mains are huge, the map overall is huge. And the openness given by the analyzer is deceiving, because it's including all those tiny dots of terrain in its calculations, so I suspect it's closer to 3.8-3.9 overall, which is fine. I like the defining feature of the 3rd's though, where if you spot a far away 3rd base you can take the forward one to offset its distant position, because both options are rather extremely positioned, which in turn only works I think because of how big the map is. I don't necessarily like maps that are gratuitously large, but in this case it's necessary I think. I do think the mains could stand to be more like 40 CC's in size, 50 is really out there, literally.

I do like seeing new maps from you though, they always have a certain strangeness to them. Nifty tileset too, looking forward to close-up shots.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
June 11 2012 02:29 GMT
#9
too much of a splitty map. i mean split maps are fine, its just this one is wayyyy too split.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
PandaZerg
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada148 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-11 04:13:51
June 11 2012 02:43 GMT
#10
Personally, I think the map is "perfect" as it (10/10 at first look), but I need to try before a final comment. Proportion seems very good. If you change something, I am afraid that you will have to change the rest of the map to keep proportions.

Remind me ESV brineclaw and Day Break at the same time! Looks very solid imo! Enough solid to easily win MotM.

I need to try this on NA
Just hope you will have less difficulties to upload this map on NA than you had with Silver Sands
Amlitzer
Profile Joined August 2010
United States471 Posts
June 11 2012 04:26 GMT
#11
Since there is only 3 pathways from one side of the map to the other I really feel like there should be less watchtowers, or maybe even have none at all.
"Not even justice, I want to get truth!"
Mullet_Ben
Profile Joined August 2011
United States54 Posts
June 11 2012 05:45 GMT
#12
Third base looks really far away, and between the natural and third there are 3 attack paths, meaning defending against multi-pronged attacks from zerg as a protoss will be hell. Expect 2-base all-ins in PvZ, which should work pretty well considering the chokey-ness of the map. The long rush distance should help zerg hold it off, but breaking down the rocks should let toss move in rather quickly.

Anyway, I don't see Protoss liking this map at all.
Jebediah
Profile Joined April 2012
Germany106 Posts
June 11 2012 11:12 GMT
#13
Pathogen Glands is on the wrong research-hotkey and Neural does not need to be researched. Haven't noticed anything else, but I only played a short match against an AI to take a look at the map.
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-11 15:08:52
June 11 2012 13:57 GMT
#14
On June 11 2012 20:12 Jebediah wrote:
Pathogen Glands is on the wrong research-hotkey and Neural does not need to be researched. Haven't noticed anything else, but I only played a short match against an AI to take a look at the map.


:O Nice find. I actually started the map in the Arcade Beta editor, so there could very well be issues like that. Thanks

On June 11 2012 05:32 EatThePath wrote:
While it seems cool and fun (legitimately), I fear the underlying dynamic is expand and turtle, because even a slow army can camp the high ground near the ramp with rocks and bounce to cover any major incoming attacks, especially with those towers on the wings. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but from the look of things I don't think this was your intention. All in all, I like this better than Daybreak because it doesn't deceive you with lategame impossible bases. I think it'd be a better map if the center was open ground and not a constricted spot (assuming you keep the tower there). Alternatively you could make two bridges with a small space between them. The tower ensures that the center is powerful, but it's too hard to engage there, with your only option to avoid it two small ramps.

I feel like maybe the two small bases should be relocated as normal bases somewhere else, or things shifted around slightly to make those gold bases that don't cover the two normal expansions behind them. What if you put a normal base in that empty space at 5 and 11, with a long low ground army connecting to them? Or whatever you want to give it to one side of the map or the other.

Maybe a very small horizontal ramp leading to the middle would be cool, to let people check on the tower easily.


Yeah, when I made the made and took a secodn look I thought "oh, I made a turtle map. Very well, elts see what ppl think".

Why hate on the half-base? The idea initially was to provide a "free base" in a spot close to where your army is anyways. However, I think i'ts interresting that it's vulnerable to drops on the high ground above it (while the gas on the high groudn is vulnerable from below). Putting a normal base at the edge of the map at 12ish and 6ish oclock might be waht I end up doing for better spread of bases.

Nice point about the centre.. I dont really provide a broader safer path around it, as I should.

@PandaZerg - I'll try. Worst case scenario I send you the map file to host for me if you can.

On June 11 2012 11:29 FlaShFTW wrote:
too much of a splitty map. i mean split maps are fine, its just this one is wayyyy too split.


I know. It's intended. What do you think this will do to the games on it? I also experiment with tower placements. Do you think less towers/no towers woudl make the map better in that regard? The issue I see with no towers is that theres a lot of space to scout on a big map like this.
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-11 16:01:14
June 11 2012 16:00 GMT
#15
The bottom left and top right corners seem really weird. The bases feel too cluttered. It appears you either 2 base all-in or you get 5 base. You really need to work on those cluttered bases. Also 3 watch towers is too much. Honestly just get rid of the one in the middle because then if you do take the time to break down both sets of rocks and do feel like funneling your army through two 2x-wide ramps you won't be scouted unless they have a unit sitting in the area.
Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
sorrowptoss
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada1431 Posts
June 11 2012 20:56 GMT
#16
Great TvT map. The layout makes it so that it's "half-half" with 5 expansions on each side and 2 expansions left near the middle and therefor the location of struggle between seige lines and such. And since there is SO MUCH space behind the nat and the 4th, drops are very likely to be effective.

The third is far for the Zerg player, so if the nat is blocked by a pylon (which happens almost all the time against decent P players (reference: MLG Anaheim)) Zerg has to go take the 12 o'clock which isn't the supposed 3rd, which is very far, near a watchtower and fairly open, not to mention (again) the HUGE space behind it for flying units aka voidrays. But if facing a rubbish non-nat-denying-protoss, this isn't such a big deal, since the terrain (ups and downs all over the place) and the numerous watchtowers help the Zerg to control the map, not to mention (again) the HUGE area behind the 12 o'clock and the 6 o'clock that could be used for death drops or mutas.

That brings me to my final point, playing Protoss on this map. I find it quite difficult to get a decent 3rd on this map for Protoss, so 2-base timing attacks would be quite present on the map... yet since the terrain makes it so long to get from 1 nat to another, I think it isn't so much of a good idea to do so, unless the Zerg sucks. The map, in general, is great for collosi since there are cliffs EVERYWHERE, so going infestorling wouldn't be such a good idea either, unless of course the Protoss doesn't utilise the cliffs. And fyi it would be hell for Protoss do defend against good run-bys and such because all bases around the supposed 3rd are quite open (2 entries).

That was my opinion. Thanks for caring enough to read
HighLach
Profile Joined December 2011
United States132 Posts
June 12 2012 03:39 GMT
#17
1. Just from looking at the map it looks kind of narrow.

2. The natural is quite open to attacks. There should be someway to have a safer FFE for protoss.

3. And going along with that, there doesn't seem to be any "easy" progression to the third. I can see the corners being taken if the rocks were knocked down.

Other than that it looks pretty good and pretty good looking.
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
June 12 2012 04:48 GMT
#18
Why is the map so huge?

Why do rocks block the shortest attack/scout path?

Why so much air space?

Why are the mains so big?

Why is there this path to behind naturals against wall from main to CC/nexus

What on earth is taht gas placement on the non main corner bases?

What is that highground area behind the side watch towers? Is it pathatble?


Ok, enough questions that should have been awnsered in the OP. Comments time.


I dont like how far the bases are from each other, even though the defensive chokes might allow multiple bases defendable against ground, I feel like mutalisk against every race, and warp prism haras vs terran is OP in this map. Really experimental map indeed.
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
June 17 2012 13:44 GMT
#19
Working on an alternative version:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2cpdr2r.jpg

168x120ish, 14 bases, where 4 are half-bases and 2 of the full bases are islands.
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
PandaZerg
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada148 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-17 15:12:31
June 17 2012 15:11 GMT
#20
I liked by far the older. Older had a very unique design and it was fresh and cool. Too bad it is not on US (NA) atm to test it. I would like to play on the older version...
EDIT: The newer looks good too, it's just that I liked more the original version.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1759
GuemChi 479
Leta 341
actioN 200
sSak 38
Bale 31
ajuk12(nOOB) 22
Noble 13
sorry 11
Icarus 9
Dota 2
febbydoto17
League of Legends
JimRising 579
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss90
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King143
Other Games
summit1g8491
ceh9382
Happy273
C9.Mang0255
Sick194
ViBE106
Trikslyr24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick471
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast5
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2228
League of Legends
• Lourlo1093
• Stunt423
Other Games
• Shiphtur484
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 1m
Patches Events
9h 1m
The PondCast
1d 3h
INu's Battles
1d 4h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.