• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:08
CEST 05:08
KST 12:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War395.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9479 users

[M] TPW The Grid

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Archvil3
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark989 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-07 22:44:16
February 04 2012 15:07 GMT
#1
[image loading]

The grid, a digital frontier
I try to picture clusters of units as they move through the map
What did they look like. Marines, zerglings?
Were the circuits like freeways?
I kept dreaming of a map I thought I'd never make
And then, one day, I was done.


MOTM February winner!


8 months, several layouts and 150+ hours in the editor later I am finally done with the map I wanted to create after getting inspired by a movie. I have gone through a dozen layouts and at one point I was 90% done with a map when I decided to start over on a better layout. Needless to say I am relieved that I am finally done.

New 6m2g version available on EU and NA. All bases have 6 mineral patches with 2k minerals each and 1 or 2 vespene geysers with 3k gas each. The original map is still up under the name TPW The Grid while the 6m version is called The Grid 6m.

Overview of 6m version
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Author: Archvile
Map bounds: 136x148
Nat-nat rush distance: 152.6
Available: EU, NA



[image loading]



Angled Overview

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Analyzer

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Distances

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Close ups

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]
Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent.
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
February 04 2012 15:12 GMT
#2
Immediately reminds me of Odyssey.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
ArcticRaven
Profile Joined August 2011
France1406 Posts
February 04 2012 15:15 GMT
#3
The rocks in the borders kinda ruin the theme :[.
[Govie] Wierd shit, on a 6 game AP winning streak with KOTL in the trench. I searched gandalf quotes and spammed them all game long, trenchwarfare247, whateva it takes!
Archvil3
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark989 Posts
February 04 2012 15:16 GMT
#4
On February 05 2012 00:12 IronManSC wrote:
Immediately reminds me of Odyssey.


Yes that was a big concern to us as well. We did talk quite a bit about it and decided not to do any changes to The Grid. Despite the similairities the proportions and the center is different enough that the maps plays out differently.
Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent.
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
February 04 2012 15:18 GMT
#5
On February 05 2012 00:12 IronManSC wrote:
Immediately reminds me of Odyssey.


very true. but i like the additional middle bases here; with the pathing layout, adds a dynamic to this common layout.
starleague forever
Archvil3
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark989 Posts
February 04 2012 15:21 GMT
#6
On February 05 2012 00:15 ArcticRaven wrote:
The rocks in the borders kinda ruin the theme :[.


Not if you have seen the movie that inspired me to make this map
Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent.
ArcticRaven
Profile Joined August 2011
France1406 Posts
February 04 2012 15:24 GMT
#7
What was this movie, by the way ?
[Govie] Wierd shit, on a 6 game AP winning streak with KOTL in the trench. I searched gandalf quotes and spammed them all game long, trenchwarfare247, whateva it takes!
shiroiusagi
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
SoCal, USA3955 Posts
February 04 2012 15:43 GMT
#8
On February 05 2012 00:24 ArcticRaven wrote:
What was this movie, by the way ?


Tron
Graphics@shiroiusagi_ | shiroiusagi.net
redoxx
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States333 Posts
February 04 2012 15:55 GMT
#9
I love the base layout. The expansion flow seems very natural, although not completely intuitive past 2-3 bases. Nice work
The horror...the horror
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
February 04 2012 16:03 GMT
#10
No doubt this map is well made, but I feel like I've seen it before - if you know what I mean.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Archvil3
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark989 Posts
February 04 2012 16:07 GMT
#11
On February 05 2012 01:03 Plexa wrote:
No doubt this map is well made, but I feel like I've seen it before - if you know what I mean.


I am absolutely aware of its similarities with Odyssey. I have seen playtests and we were talking a lot about it in TPW before I decided to finalize the map and I can guarantee you that the maps are very different in the way they play.
Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent.
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
February 04 2012 16:15 GMT
#12
Strangely, I don't think it is that similar to odyssey at all. With the center bases and only 1 tower, it has a very unique dynamic to it. Needless to say, I like it alot.
But maybe you really should have just flipped/rotated the whole map to avoid this discussion
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
LunaSaint
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United Kingdom620 Posts
February 04 2012 16:31 GMT
#13
Yeah - at first I thought it was like Odyssey mixed with Cloud Kingdom, but I'm seeing a lot of subtle but very major differences.
Just compare how the low ground and middle play out.

Archvil3 always makes maps that look amazing, he certainly gets credit here. :D
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
February 04 2012 16:33 GMT
#14
Looks fantastic! Great use of open space and chokes. I also like the basic expo layout! Honestly I can't find anything I would change right now. The only thing I'd keep an eye on is the two close corner expansions, because they might be a little bit too close and promote turtling or hidden expansions.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
February 04 2012 17:09 GMT
#15
On February 05 2012 00:12 IronManSC wrote:
Immediately reminds me of Odyssey.

I saw the pic and was like "Oh, it's a lefix map"

Then I saw Arch made it and was like "w0t"

Cool map either way~
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
February 04 2012 17:17 GMT
#16
On February 05 2012 01:07 Archvil3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 05 2012 01:03 Plexa wrote:
No doubt this map is well made, but I feel like I've seen it before - if you know what I mean.


I am absolutely aware of its similarities with Odyssey. I have seen playtests and we were talking a lot about it in TPW before I decided to finalize the map and I can guarantee you that the maps are very different in the way they play.

Not even just odyssey, there are a lot of maps with this layout
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
digmouse
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
China6332 Posts
February 04 2012 17:23 GMT
#17
Looks so amazing, and it wouldn't be better to use space debris as background?
TranslatorIf you want to ask anything about Chinese esports, send me a PM or follow me @nerddigmouse.
Mashmed
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden198 Posts
February 04 2012 18:15 GMT
#18
What is it with all these new maps being so damn chokey? Zergs will lose against protoss every game on this map.
Gosh Digglydarnit
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
February 04 2012 18:16 GMT
#19
On February 05 2012 01:31 LunaSaint wrote:
Yeah - at first I thought it was like Odyssey mixed with Cloud Kingdom, but I'm seeing a lot of subtle but very major differences.
Just compare how the low ground and middle play out.

Archvil3 always makes maps that look amazing, he certainly gets credit here. :D

I dunno, looks sorta like Odyssey meets Daybreak, ever so vaguely. Even so, both are great maps and this doesn't look bad by any means either.

I agree about the aesthetics though, absolutely awesome. I love the use of the korhal buildings on the cliffs.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
ArcticRaven
Profile Joined August 2011
France1406 Posts
February 04 2012 18:28 GMT
#20
On February 05 2012 00:43 shiroiusagi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 05 2012 00:24 ArcticRaven wrote:
What was this movie, by the way ?


Tron


I guessn I'll just hang myself because of my lack of culture, then

I can't remember any map having the same layout, tweaked or not, as this one.
[Govie] Wierd shit, on a 6 game AP winning streak with KOTL in the trench. I searched gandalf quotes and spammed them all game long, trenchwarfare247, whateva it takes!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings49
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 167
PiLiPiLi 44
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2970
ViBE146
Bale 22
Dota 2
monkeys_forever414
NeuroSwarm208
Counter-Strike
summit1g7343
taco 589
Other Games
JimRising 588
WinterStarcraft361
C9.Mang0317
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1063
BasetradeTV166
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP104
• Hupsaiya 94
• davetesta28
• practicex 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1114
• Shiphtur303
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
6h 52m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
8h 52m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 52m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 52m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.