• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:26
CEST 00:26
KST 07:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9681 users

[M] (4) Thunder Temple

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-07 16:58:13
January 07 2011 03:43 GMT
#1
[image loading]
Korean name by TrinitySC


Thunder Temple

v 1.0 published on EU & NA servers.
-search "Thunder".

1v1 (2v2) - 142x130 - 14 bases total

I wanted to do a classic 4 spawn map balanced for 1v1 similar to Lost Temple, Metalopolis and Shakuras Plateau, but with its own distinct style.

This will not be my February entry for MotM; It´s taken forever to fine-tune and polish... -balanced and pretty, but not as good as Mud Rock!

Overview:[image loading]

Angled view:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Analyzer:+ Show Spoiler +
Summary+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Shortest+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading][image loading][image loading][image loading][image loading]

Close ups:+ Show Spoiler +
These are all slightly outdated (v0.15)[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Beta testing: Thanks to CandyCrack, Hamra, SerraAngelDK, Rhokdar & Bixs
Special thanks to Kanadan & joe
Beta replays : + Show Spoiler +
(v0.12 - v0.15)
joe v Kanadan - TvP
joe v CandyCrack - PvZ
joe v Hamra - TvT
joe v SerraAngelDK - TvZ
joe v Rhokdar - TvP
joe v Bixs - ZvT


Tileset: Mixed+ Show Spoiler +
Xil organic cliffs
Korhal manmade cliffs
____________________
Port Zion dirt
Port Zion cracked dirt
Korhal dark concrete
Korhal tiles
Valhalla plates
Bel shir grass light
Bel shir grass dark
Haven rough rock

Performance issues: + Show Spoiler +
This map has only 736 decals which is very low, so there should be no lag issues. Center has 1 rain emitter and 2 electrical arcs, but this hasn´t caused any lag in all of my testgames.

Changelog:
+ Show Spoiler +

1.0: Release.

0.17: Replaced ponds between gold & center with a pillar and enlarged LoS refuge. Decreased size of ponds at XWTs. Put in a step in the cliff at main entrance, allowing cliff-walking, and making nat entrance less of a tankfest.

0.15: removed rocks on islands. Added Los refuge below gold.
0.14: put rocks on gold

0.13: moved Watchtowers to low ground near center. Improved lighting - map will no longer hurt your eyes . Replaced texture (Korhal concrete -> Korhal dark concrete).

0.12: moved Watchtowers to 12 & 6 o´clock overlooking 3rd. Made space between main & gold pathable. Rebuilt high ground above 3rd. Enlarged mains.

0.11: Opened up center chokes. Rebuilt main & natural.

0.9: Posted.


My Map Thread
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
baskerville
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
541 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-13 01:12:17
January 07 2011 03:53 GMT
#2
tease!
cause it looks brilliant

+ Show Spoiler +
i'm watching wheat's stream,watching the map in itself is o so boring, but wheat is quick with ze chatterbox+ Show Spoiler +
, should add some backdrop music under his replay casting though
, what a rhythm
http://www.teamliquid.net/mirror/smilies/random-big.gif
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
January 07 2011 10:53 GMT
#3
Nice sneak peak, really want to see more :D
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
January 07 2011 11:44 GMT
#4
I went to your thread and looked at the overview. It has a very solid map design, though I think that the XWT placement could be a bit better. The stairs and doodad work on this map are awesome! You've got to tell me exactly how to make stairs.
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
January 07 2011 11:56 GMT
#5
Didn't know there was a overview already in your map thread - the layout of main and natural seem to punish zerg a little bit. You most likely want to defend at the bottom of your ramp but with the nat being so far away runbys might be very potent.
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Galek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Poland234 Posts
January 07 2011 12:52 GMT
#6
Is it me only or does it looks very much like Fighting Spirit? Main + nat, and double ramp to third thats what I see pretty much similiar. It still looks like a great map to play on.
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
January 07 2011 12:57 GMT
#7
You should rewatch a picture of Fighting Spirit.
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Koagel
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria167 Posts
January 07 2011 13:55 GMT
#8
Cool. I once thought about doing a map with chess-board style textures. Reminds me a bit of it.
Also looks like the bumps on some of the ramps are giving you problems too. Annoying stuff.
Galek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Poland234 Posts
January 07 2011 14:19 GMT
#9
Well, I still see some similarities, though very much is a oversaid yeah.
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
January 07 2011 15:22 GMT
#10
On January 07 2011 20:44 Antares777 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I went to your thread and looked at the overview. It has a very solid map design, though I think that the XWT placement could be a bit better. The stairs and doodad work on this map are awesome! You've got to tell me exactly how to make stairs.


Stairs are simply ground decals, you can find them in Metalopolis and other maps. They become steps when you place them on ramps. Just takes a lot of adjustment and copy/pasting.
What do you suggest I do with the XWTs? I started with just one in the center, but it was pretty useless. As they stand now, they are just out of sight from the high ground above because of the pillar/cliff in the corner. I think that works out nicely.

On January 07 2011 20:56 dezi wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Didn't know there was a overview already in your map thread - the layout of main and natural seem to punish zerg a little bit. You most likely want to defend at the bottom of your ramp but with the nat being so far away runbys might be very potent.


You are right. I will move main spawn and natural a bit closer to the main ramp. With that, it will be possible to connect main and nat with a single tumor.

@ Galek: I haven´t looked at Fighting Spirit recently, but I see your point. I was mainly inspired by City of the Sun and to a certain degree Lost Temple.

On January 07 2011 22:55 Koagel wrote:
Cool. I once thought about doing a map with chess-board style textures. Reminds me a bit of it.
Also looks like the bumps on some of the ramps are giving you problems too. Annoying stuff.

Yeah, I wondered how you did it so clean with those bumpy ramps Luckily, I don´t need it to be clean since I´m doing a ruin. Also, those particular doodads have a rubble variant that is perfect for hiding imperfections and give the steps a broken look.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Koagel
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria167 Posts
January 07 2011 18:00 GMT
#11
I just didn't place them at the most bumpy parts tbh...
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
January 08 2011 04:38 GMT
#12
Updated with more pics n stuff.

- moved main and nat closer to main ramp (1 tumor).

I wonder if I should disable close spawns?
Rush distance is 110.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-08 05:38:01
January 08 2011 05:32 GMT
#13
Hey, wanted to give some feedback- I like the map a lot!

Looks like the gas can be tanked. You should prevent that by curving the mineral line in and back a bit. There seems like an awkward amount of space behind the mineral line too, possibly remove and make the map overall a bit smaller.

The island is a little smushed, and it can harass the High Yield. Is this intentional? You might consider removing it or redoing it to be less crammed in that space.

The map is extremely linear, meaning paths are straight. I like the feel of this map, but in the future you want to stray from linear paths.


Cool. I once thought about doing a map with chess-board style textures.


Check out Checkmate: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/images/5/5b/Checkmate.jpg
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
TheDominator
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
New Zealand336 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-08 05:50:11
January 08 2011 05:49 GMT
#14
I think the centre is really cool, as their are a lot of high ground and low ground places, hopefully ending in lots of strategic and exciting battles.
I like the fact that you can easily defend your natural and main, it kinda reminds me of shakuras's main and natural.
This would be such an epic map for a FFA.
Good luck with the MotM tournament! I think it has a good chance of winning.
You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun.
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
January 08 2011 10:05 GMT
#15
On January 08 2011 13:38 Johanaz wrote:
I wonder if I should disable close spawns?
Rush distance is 110.


That is about the same as on close on Steppes of War, so the distance itself doesn't warrant the disabling of it IMHO.

But if the difference in distance between the shortest, cross and side-to-side route is too large, then yes, it might be a good idea to disable close spawns to avoid having radically different games on the same map because of the differences in rush distance.

So give us the other distances and I'm sure at least someone must have an opinion
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-08 13:00:25
January 08 2011 12:58 GMT
#16
On January 08 2011 14:32 monitor wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Hey, wanted to give some feedback- I like the map a lot!

Looks like the gas can be tanked. You should prevent that by curving the mineral line in and back a bit. There seems like an awkward amount of space behind the mineral line too, possibly remove and make the map overall a bit smaller.

The island is a little smushed, and it can harass the High Yield. Is this intentional? You might consider removing it or redoing it to be less crammed in that space.

The map is extremely linear, meaning paths are straight. I like the feel of this map, but in the future you want to stray from linear paths.


Thanks!
Yes, the gas can be sniped in the current layout. I will fix that and shrink mains and nats making the map 142x124 instead of 142x132.
The islands are currently quite broken. I need to move them away from high yield, not to mention from the mains. I watched an AI v AI PvT that went totally epic lategame with maxed armies and tons of drop action, where terrans island expansion was sniped by a colossus standing in the main!
LOL!
As for the linearity, that is something I normally would avoid, but in this map it serves the theme pretty well. I am considering putting in some giant cracks to break up the pathing lines a bit.

On January 08 2011 19:05 NullCurrent wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 08 2011 13:38 Johanaz wrote:
I wonder if I should disable close spawns?
Rush distance is 110.


That is about the same as on close on Steppes of War, so the distance itself doesn't warrant the disabling of it IMHO.

But if the difference in distance between the shortest, cross and side-to-side route is too large, then yes, it might be a good idea to disable close spawns to avoid having radically different games on the same map because of the differences in rush distance.

So give us the other distances and I'm sure at least someone must have an opinion

Rush distances:
110 (close spawns)
117 (8 o´clock to 2 o´clock)
137 (cross)

I think the relative difference between close and cross are less than on most 2v2 maps, thanks to the linear paths.


On January 08 2011 14:49 TheDominator wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

I think the centre is really cool, as their are a lot of high ground and low ground places, hopefully ending in lots of strategic and exciting battles.
I like the fact that you can easily defend your natural and main, it kinda reminds me of shakuras's main and natural.
This would be such an epic map for a FFA.
Good luck with the MotM tournament! I think it has a good chance of winning.

Thanks!
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
January 08 2011 13:59 GMT
#17
On January 08 2011 21:58 Johanaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2011 19:05 NullCurrent wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 08 2011 13:38 Johanaz wrote:
I wonder if I should disable close spawns?
Rush distance is 110.


That is about the same as on close on Steppes of War, so the distance itself doesn't warrant the disabling of it IMHO.

But if the difference in distance between the shortest, cross and side-to-side route is too large, then yes, it might be a good idea to disable close spawns to avoid having radically different games on the same map because of the differences in rush distance.

So give us the other distances and I'm sure at least someone must have an opinion

Rush distances:
110 (close spawns)
117 (8 o´clock to 2 o´clock)
137 (cross)

I think the relative difference between close and cross are less than on most 2v2 maps, thanks to the linear paths.


I don't think you should disable close spawns, as the distances are close as you say (somewhat equal to the difference in Metalopolis).

But I think you should make it a bit easier to defend an attack which uses the closest route (eg. move the cliff so that attacking units can be shot at from the main if the opponent uses the closest route).
Currently you have no difference in advantage/disadvantage when it comes to attack-angle dpenending on spawn.
But it might not be needed, Metalopolis does not have that disadvantage for close spawns, only the mid-length routes. So I'm not so sure if you really have to do something to compensate for the short rush distance.
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
January 09 2011 04:55 GMT
#18
I was thinking about XWT placement, and for a suggestion, you can put them above and bellow the high ground middle closer to the thirds than the high yields. This would make then farther apart from each other, which was originally my main concern.

Just an idea.
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
January 11 2011 02:35 GMT
#19
Just finished a bunch of revisions.

Rebuilt main ramp, 3rd (chokes and high ground), islands and the area around the center.
Removed center ponds and moved XWTs.

Updated all pictures in OP.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
baskerville
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
541 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-11 02:55:46
January 11 2011 02:54 GMT
#20
love the 4 player spawn

the interwoven green lines are great

+ Show Spoiler +
i do definitely have a fetish for a 4 player chess board tho
http://www.teamliquid.net/mirror/smilies/random-big.gif
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta13
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE62
Nina 27
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 194
Dewaltoss 94
Hyuk 65
Bale 15
Noble 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm105
League of Legends
Doublelift3754
Counter-Strike
Fnx 742
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5390
Khaldor787
Liquid`Hasu571
Other Games
summit1g8092
FrodaN2163
shahzam525
KnowMe270
JimRising 253
C9.Mang0202
ArmadaUGS100
ZombieGrub48
PPMD42
Trikslyr41
CosmosSc2 21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream73
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH357
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2305
Other Games
• imaqtpie877
• Shiphtur201
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
11h 34m
Online Event
12h 34m
FEL
17h 34m
AI Arena Tournament
18h 34m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
20h 34m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.