• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:22
CEST 08:22
KST 15:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10345 users

[M] (2) Varuna

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-26 03:12:19
November 02 2010 14:58 GMT
#1
[image loading]


Version 1.7 is now uploaded to EU & NA server.
-need upload partner for SEA server!

Hello good TL people.

I have now completed my map: Varuna
It´s my feeble atempt to create an epic 1v1 map, with a lot of strategic options and hopefully equal opportunities for all 3 races.

The playable map size is 130x152
Available on EU server.

Overview:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

-click to enlarge-

Analyzer:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Main:
+ Show Spoiler +
Pretty standard main, except the ramp is double width.
[image loading]
-click to enlarge-

Main choke:

The ramp is 8 units wide and can´t be walled of with a barracks + 2 depots.
[image loading]

You need barracks+depot+bunker or equivalent
[image loading]


Natural:
+ Show Spoiler +

The natural has back highground á la Lost Temple but a Nexus/Hatchery/Command Center is just out of siege tank range.
[image loading]

-click to enlarge-


3rd, 4th & Gold:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
-click to enlarge-



I appreciate all feedback; not least with regards to possibles imbalances and other showstoppers.

Changelog:

+ Show Spoiler +
Version 1.7:
Added an extra ramp to gold expansions
Widened bridges outside natural

Version 1.6:
-Removed XN towers & LOS blockers on bridges and shortened the bridges
-Redesigned and simplified central area
-Redesigned gold expansion and removed XN-LOS highground
-Added LOS refuges at natural and between 3rd, 4th and gold


My Map Thread
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
November 02 2010 15:23 GMT
#2
The way the natural entrance is set up is so cool. the middle area seems a bit awkward in terms of getting to your opponents base but it might make for some interesting positioning battles. How many maps have you made so far?
Superouman
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
France2195 Posts
November 02 2010 16:08 GMT
#3
What justifies your double width entrance?
Search "[SO]" on B.net to find all my maps ||| Cloud Kingdom / Turbo Cruise '84 / Bone Temple / Eternal Empire / Zen / Purity and Industry / Golden Wall / Fortitude / Beckett Industries / Waterfall
kXn
Profile Joined August 2010
254 Posts
November 02 2010 17:56 GMT
#4
I would like this map if the 3rd and gold expo would be just a little bit more accessible.


Anyways, I really like the layout on this map, and the texture usage.
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
November 02 2010 19:01 GMT
#5
The middle seems awkward for traveling through, as some paths are tighter than others and other paths are open. The quickest base to base paths should be more open than the tighter ones in my opinion for balance reasons. I can see the zig-zag structure of the mid, but having the XWTs and the high ground that they are on destroys the need for players to use the middle are for travel as much, and in late-game can give Terran a huge advantage and allow themselves to siege up on that high ground, giving them a LoS advantage with the XWT and a height advantage, and the fact that once the enemy units break the high ground ramp, there is little to no wiggle room for armies with limited range. Also, I think it would be very easy for a Terran player to shut down enemies due to the fact that two XWTs overlook the entrance to the natural and will see you when you leave, and that there is this little high ground area for tanks to chill (honestly I see no other use for it).

I like the double-width ramps to the mains and I think that those should stay, but it also depends on the changes made to the mid of the map. If rush distances are decreased, which they probably will be, you might want to consider changing the size of the ramps to the mains.

Cliff by the naturals...
Meh, it's ok because it doesn't hit the building.

I don't think that you need two rows of LoSBs protecting the entrance to the "thirds". One row would be sufficient in my honest opinion.

Nice texture work on this, much better than I could do. Very good map overall, but the XWTs overlooking those fast paths to your enemy and the high ground that they are on need to be redesigned.

Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
November 02 2010 20:04 GMT
#6
On November 03 2010 00:23 WniO wrote:
The way the natural entrance is set up is so cool. the middle area seems a bit awkward in terms of getting to your opponents base but it might make for some interesting positioning battles. How many maps have you made so far?

I wanted to make a map without an obvious frontline and open up for several attack routes.
I have done about 5 melee maps so far, added links in OP.

On November 03 2010 01:08 Superouman wrote:
What justifies your double width entrance?


I have seen many replays where top players either don´t wall off or use 3 buildings which is possible here. I was getting a little tired of the standard narrow entrance routine, and thought I might stir it up a little. I added extra chokes just outside of the main and natural that should help defend.
If there are good reasons to change it back to a narrow ramp, I will do that.

On November 03 2010 02:56 kXn wrote:
I would like this map if the 3rd and gold expo would be just a little bit more accessible.


Anyways, I really like the layout on this map, and the texture usage.

Thanks. I have tried different layouts for 3rd, 4th and gold, and I´m not sure I have the best setup yet. But still; on a lot of maps the 3rd and gold really hard to defend, which is fun to watch IMO.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
November 02 2010 20:20 GMT
#7
On November 03 2010 04:01 Antares777 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
The middle seems awkward for traveling through, as some paths are tighter than others and other paths are open. The quickest base to base paths should be more open than the tighter ones in my opinion for balance reasons. I can see the zig-zag structure of the mid, but having the XWTs and the high ground that they are on destroys the need for players to use the middle are for travel as much, and in late-game can give Terran a huge advantage and allow themselves to siege up on that high ground, giving them a LoS advantage with the XWT and a height advantage, and the fact that once the enemy units break the high ground ramp, there is little to no wiggle room for armies with limited range. Also, I think it would be very easy for a Terran player to shut down enemies due to the fact that two XWTs overlook the entrance to the natural and will see you when you leave, and that there is this little high ground area for tanks to chill (honestly I see no other use for it).

I like the double-width ramps to the mains and I think that those should stay, but it also depends on the changes made to the mid of the map. If rush distances are decreased, which they probably will be, you might want to consider changing the size of the ramps to the mains.

Cliff by the naturals...
Meh, it's ok because it doesn't hit the building.

I don't think that you need two rows of LoSBs protecting the entrance to the "thirds". One row would be sufficient in my honest opinion.

Nice texture work on this, much better than I could do. Very good map overall, but the XWTs overlooking those fast paths to your enemy and the high ground that they are on need to be redesigned.



Thanks for taking the time to do this detailed analysis; there´s a lot for me to digest. Great input with the "tank chill zone". I think I have enough feedback already to give this map an overhaul and take it to the next level.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
November 02 2010 21:36 GMT
#8
i think maybe if you just added some space to the middle, it would make a more direct path to the opponents natural, and i would like that more than the current layout. keep the 4 watchtowers though where they are because i think they help split the map in late-game scenarios. as for your other maps i really dig asgard.
burningDog
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands59 Posts
November 02 2010 23:51 GMT
#9
I might close up the gaps in the middle, but that's just a feeling from seeing the pictures. Tried to play the map, but B.net can't find the map (on EU)...
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
November 03 2010 10:43 GMT
#10
The map feels a little clogged as a result of higher density than necessary "interesting terrain". I know it would hurt to alter the precisely fitted structure, but it looks annoying to use a lot of these spaces. Were you trying to create a novel environment? If that's not paramount, you should simplify.

The mini platform with the small ramp outside the natural doesn't need to be there. What about LOS refuge instead? The gaps at the center which create the narrow direct route feel too constricting. I think the narrow route is okay, but I would knock down the octagon towers and pinch the hole up a bit so there is more space to swing around it. This would also create an useful ring-around-the-rosey spot. Lastly, the XWT near the gold seems excessive--high ground, LOS, and XWT. I would just have high ground, but it's your map.

As you say there's a lot of criticism to digest. It's a cool concept; I'm anxious to see your revised execution.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
November 05 2010 00:02 GMT
#11
Thanks for all your feedback. I have done a lot of changes with your comments in mind. Please have a look, and let me know what you think.

Version 1.6:
-Removed XN towers & LOS blockers on bridges and shortened the bridges
-Redesigned and simplified central area
-Redesigned gold expansion and removed XN-LOS highground
-Added LOS refuges at natural and between 3rd, 4th and gold
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
November 05 2010 00:35 GMT
#12
Looks like a good map, here are my two small proposed changes.

[image loading]

The first (red), is a move of the ramps of the golds to provide a better army path between the natural/main and the third. What I'm seeing is that at the 3 base stage of the game, armies are going to be positioned around the entrance of the natural and the watchtower. With your current positioning, this makes moving to intercept an attack on the 3rd very difficult, as you have to go back through the 3rd itself or go through the gold, then back considerably to get there. The rocks will help slightly, but at the time you have a third taken they will delay an army for a very small period of time. The move to the red position would, I feel, make for a more natural army flow between defending the natural/main complex and defending the 3rd expansion.

The only other suggestion I have is a slight widening of the blue lanes, as they are currently a bit too cramped.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
-{Cake}-
Profile Joined October 2010
United States217 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-05 02:54:58
November 05 2010 02:54 GMT
#13
I'm liking the textures, and overall feel, but i feel like it is almost easier to hold your opponent's fourth as opposed to your own gold and fourth, I'd say maybe remove the outward facing ramp from the golds, and also remove the rocks at the thirds, that way the gold is essentially a third, and there are two angles of attack if your enemy decides to take your fourth

EDIT: Or do what the guy above me said
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
November 05 2010 16:41 GMT
#14
The question as to where to go for 3rd / 4th makes the map interesting... why would you change that.

Really good job with the adjustments. Even though I miss the narrow direct path, this is better. At first I felt like the watchtowers are too easy, but I realized that lategame they're necessary so the game isn't just an army position dice roll. I can't think of any possible improvements; this looks solid. Any idea if it will make it to other servers? NA?
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
November 06 2010 18:19 GMT
#15
On November 05 2010 09:35 sob3k wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Looks like a good map, here are my two small proposed changes.

[image loading]

The first (red), is a move of the ramps of the golds to provide a better army path between the natural/main and the third. What I'm seeing is that at the 3 base stage of the game, armies are going to be positioned around the entrance of the natural and the watchtower. With your current positioning, this makes moving to intercept an attack on the 3rd very difficult, as you have to go back through the 3rd itself or go through the gold, then back considerably to get there. The rocks will help slightly, but at the time you have a third taken they will delay an army for a very small period of time. The move to the red position would, I feel, make for a more natural army flow between defending the natural/main complex and defending the 3rd expansion.

The only other suggestion I have is a slight widening of the blue lanes, as they are currently a bit too cramped.


I did a version with your proposed changes (thanks for taking the time):
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

I will try a few test games with my friends to compare. The question is: isn´t it supposed to be difficult to defend a 3rd, and the gold even more so?

On November 06 2010 01:41 EatThePath wrote:
The question as to where to go for 3rd / 4th makes the map interesting... why would you change that.

Really good job with the adjustments. Even though I miss the narrow direct path, this is better. At first I felt like the watchtowers are too easy, but I realized that lategame they're necessary so the game isn't just an army position dice roll. I can't think of any possible improvements; this looks solid. Any idea if it will make it to other servers? NA?

Thanks. I need an upload partner on the other servers. A guy volunteered to upload my maps but it seems he wasn´t really motivated to keep up with my frequent revisions and such. Also, I have lots yet to learn, and my previous maps could be better. That being said, I have a true passion for creating melee maps and I am dedicated to creating the best maps I possibly can.
My ultimate goal is to have Blizzard include on of my maps in the official ladder map pool ;-)
(I know, naïve/borderline stupid, never gonna happen, LOL).
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
November 07 2010 01:20 GMT
#16
Aim high! At the least, dedicated mappers should present creative ideas so everyone has a chance to examine the possibilities. Even if you never create a hit, you help further the state of the art.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
November 08 2010 18:31 GMT
#17
I have done a few changes to the gold expo and bridges as suggested by sob3k, so thanks!

+ Show Spoiler +
Added 3rd ramp to the gold expo and widened the bridge outside the natural
[image loading]


Also, I have polished the map a lot and placed doodads and decals, and I think it´s coming together as a pretty good melee map. I played about 10 matches against my friends, but unfortunately we´re all semi-newbs so there might be minor balance issues remaining. I hope to see more accomplished people try it out soon.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
November 08 2010 18:39 GMT
#18
i might try it out later. do you still need someone for the NA server? i still have 8 slots.
2-_-n
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden24 Posts
November 08 2010 18:57 GMT
#19
Can't find it up on EU when serching for "Varuna"
ruskig on bnet
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
November 08 2010 19:31 GMT
#20
On November 09 2010 03:57 2-_-n wrote:
Can't find it up on EU when serching for "Varuna"

That´s weird. I have played it multiple times with friends without any issues.
I heard that the search function on EU server is bugged hope it will be fixed soon.
I hope it´s not something I did.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft770
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 550
ggaemo 312
Stork 284
Leta 145
PianO 69
Hyuk 34
yabsab 17
Bale 15
ZergMaN 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
League of Legends
Reynor73
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King184
Westballz48
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor672
Other Games
summit1g9354
C9.Mang0281
PiGStarcraft182
Sick150
ArmadaUGS72
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick649
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream146
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2264
League of Legends
• Lourlo1314
• Stunt495
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
3h 38m
Online Event
4h 38m
FEL
9h 38m
AI Arena Tournament
10h 38m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
12h 38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
INu's Battles
1d 5h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.