• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:13
CEST 23:13
KST 06:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8309 users

[Map] (2) iCCup Obsidian Inferno by prodiG

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-23 20:06:42
October 26 2010 21:30 GMT
#1
[image loading]

Obsidian Inferno is a 2 player map named after the song "The Obsidian Conspiracy" by Nevermore. It's design is original, however when I finished the sketch I looked at it and realized immediately how much it looked like Scrap Station. I wanted to attempt to create a map designed on 45 degrees and I have not made many two player maps in the past. The design has some very experimental features and has gone through many iterations during in-house testing with the iCCup mapmaking team before today's 1.0 release. I started this project at the beginning of October and am happy to say it is finally ready for the public.

Search "iCCup" to play!

[image loading]

Features
-Only small units may pass through the center bridge. This feature is extremely experimental and may change pending further testing.
-Close air positions
-Xel'Naga towers provide vision of the key high ground
-Center high ground can be harassed by the cliff above
-The giant rocks on the corners are flyer blockers

List of units that fit through the small bridge
Terran
SCV, Marine, Marauder removed in latest version, Reaper, Ghost, Hellion, Viking (landed)

Zerg
Drone, Zergling, Baneling, Hydralisk, Changeling, Broodling

Protoss
Probe, Zealot, Sentry, High Templar, Dark Templar

As I said above, the map has gone through several different iterations. Here are some images from the Obsidian Inferno beta test.
+ Show Spoiler [Beta Test] +

Map Sketch
[image loading]

Beta design version 0.1
[image loading]

Beta design version 0.2
[image loading]

Beta design version 0.3
[image loading]

Beta design version 0.4
[image loading]

Beta design version 0.5
[image loading]

Beta design version 0.6 (and what would be the final design)
[image loading]

Beta design version 0.6 Half doodaded
[image loading]


Map Analyzer Images
+ Show Spoiler [Map Analyzer] +

[image loading]

[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [Additional Images] +

[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]



http://www.prodiGsc.com - All maps by prodiG and more! This website is where I keep my most up-to-date information, check it out!
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Superouman
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
France2195 Posts
October 26 2010 21:35 GMT
#2
Even if it looks like crap station, the natural setup isn't retarded. I'd play your map a lot more than crap station
Search "[SO]" on B.net to find all my maps ||| Cloud Kingdom / Turbo Cruise '84 / Bone Temple / Eternal Empire / Zen / Purity and Industry / Golden Wall / Fortitude / Beckett Industries / Waterfall
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
October 26 2010 21:39 GMT
#3
On October 27 2010 06:35 Superouman wrote:
Even if it looks like crap station, the natural setup isn't retarded. I'd play your map a lot more than crap station

<3
And you can wall the ramp properly... Oh how I hate Crap Station -_-

The most interesting thing I think about this map is choosing which path to take and how you want to control the high ground center. Getting caught on the small bridge will mean that your army gets funneled out practically single-file, so being in control of the high ground center is very important~
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Superouman
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
France2195 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-26 21:49:31
October 26 2010 21:46 GMT
#4
The bridge is dangerous even for the attacker since the defender can get an uberleet concave in front of it. How big is the difference between the path through the bridge and the one via the highground? It has to be significant so the player would have to think "with my actual army, is it better to go quickly through the dangerous bridge or should i do a slower, more powerful push."

I would like to see a screenshot of the nat with the grid activated so i can see how you can do a sim-city.
Search "[SO]" on B.net to find all my maps ||| Cloud Kingdom / Turbo Cruise '84 / Bone Temple / Eternal Empire / Zen / Purity and Industry / Golden Wall / Fortitude / Beckett Industries / Waterfall
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-26 22:08:35
October 26 2010 21:57 GMT
#5
On October 27 2010 06:46 Superouman wrote:
The bridge is dangerous even for the attacker since the defender can get an uberleet concave in front of it. How big is the difference between the path through the bridge and the one via the highground? It has to be significant so the player would have to think "with my actual army, is it better to go quickly through the dangerous bridge or should i do a slower, more powerful push.

I would like to see a screenshot of the nat with the grid activated so i can see how you can do a sim-city.

Grid layout
[image loading]

With example simcity (could be improved on)
[image loading]

The high ground path takes a Probe almost twice as long to go around vs the short bridge. (like 1.7x - the bridge is ~25sec and the high ground path is ~38 sec, I'm about to double check this again).

EDIT: Bridge is 25sec ramp to ramp with a probe, high ground path is 37sec. Not quite double but it's still reasonable, and large units such as roaches, tanks and immortals cannot fit through the close path.
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
October 26 2010 22:02 GMT
#6
I'd guess that the bridge is only viable for early game pressure like early pool/early mnm push/fast zealot. If you like rushes it's a good feature. I don't like rushes btw.

Other than that I can't really find something to complain about right now
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-26 22:11:49
October 26 2010 22:05 GMT
#7
Workers can't fit thru the bridge in the middle. At least Probes and SCVs couldn't.

Neither can marines :x

Apparently zealots & sentries don't fit either :x
Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-26 22:12:48
October 26 2010 22:09 GMT
#8
On October 27 2010 07:05 SidianTheBard wrote:
Workers can't fit thru the bridge in the middle. At least Probes and SCVs couldn't.

Neither can marines :x

Yeah, just caught this now. Bugfix version going up now~

EDIT: bugfix version is up, gonna re-test all of the units because i don't trust this editor at all :/
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-26 22:17:42
October 26 2010 22:17 GMT
#9
I was thinking of 2 things while playing...although I'm not sure how good this advice is though.

A xel'naga on the southeastern side of that bridge could be pretty cool, makes the bridge more important and could give a lot of vision in the middle of the map.

The Middle Expo...the one just northwest of the gold right in the middle of the map. I was thinking maybe I'd like it better if that expansion was a level lower rather then up a level.

/shrug.

Again not really sure if I know what I'm talking about since I haven't really played it much but hey opinions are opinions :D

Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
dimfish
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States663 Posts
October 26 2010 22:17 GMT
#10
I'm not home, so I can't try this: what does the pathing AI do with a fat unit and the small bridge?

Let's say you rallied your main hatchery to the other guy's base. Would "little" units take the tiny bridge and "fat" units realize they should walk the long way, or do they also try but bunch up at the tiny bridge?

The above scenario is silly, but a unit at your third base might start walking toward the short bridge when the larger path is only incrementally longer, and it might be confusing.

Okay, that aside, this map is cool (I mean, hot!) and I think the area around the third base is the right formula for exciting engagements.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
October 26 2010 22:24 GMT
#11
On October 27 2010 07:17 dimfish wrote:
I'm not home, so I can't try this: what does the pathing AI do with a fat unit and the small bridge?

Let's say you rallied your main hatchery to the other guy's base. Would "little" units take the tiny bridge and "fat" units realize they should walk the long way, or do they also try but bunch up at the tiny bridge?

The above scenario is silly, but a unit at your third base might start walking toward the short bridge when the larger path is only incrementally longer, and it might be confusing.

Okay, that aside, this map is cool (I mean, hot!) and I think the area around the third base is the right formula for exciting engagements.

If I drag a box around an army that consists of Zealots, Immortals and Sentries for example and then attack click my opponents main from my natural the Zealots and Sentries will take the shorter path while the Immortal will immediately start walking towards the longer one. This is something that players can easily compensate for by paying attention to their units, or waypointing their rally points from the base.

This problem is on the list of "things to be weary of" with the very experimental bridge. Like Superouman said, using the bridge will allow your opponent to gain the opportunity to set up a perfect concave as your units run out of the bridge single file

Also, OP has been updated with a coherent list of units that fit through the bridge. All units not on that list do not fit.
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
thehitman
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
1105 Posts
October 26 2010 22:26 GMT
#12
good looking map, that tight bridge of sorts needs to go though, as it makes this map open for early cheese too much.
burningDog
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands59 Posts
October 26 2010 22:30 GMT
#13
I like the narrow bridge. Atleast I think I do.

Do you know when/if it's gonna be up on EU?

And if the bridge does turn out to encourage cheese to much, then I'd sooner put destructible debri on it then remove it entirerly. 'cause besides cheese, it's a nice path for mid/late game commando units, ghosts or some sneaky infestors or something.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
October 26 2010 22:39 GMT
#14
On October 27 2010 07:30 burningDog wrote:
I like the narrow bridge. Atleast I think I do.

Do you know when/if it's gonna be up on EU?

And if the bridge does turn out to encourage cheese to much, then I'd sooner put destructible debri on it then remove it entirerly. 'cause besides cheese, it's a nice path for mid/late game commando units, ghosts or some sneaky infestors or something.

One of the versions of the beta actually had the middle blocked by destructible debris, but in testing it was found to kind of make the bridge unusable so it was removed. Again, this is a consideration to keep in mind with the bridge. I personally do not feel as though cheese is super strong as the distance is still very reasonable and cheese being cheese, if you don't see it coming and you lose to it it's not really the map's fault, now is it?

As for an EU upload I have every intention on getting it up on EU but I may wait for further testing before I give any kind of time frame :p
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
burningDog
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands59 Posts
October 26 2010 22:44 GMT
#15
On October 27 2010 07:39 prodiG wrote:
As for an EU upload I have every intention on getting it up on EU but I may wait for further testing before I give any kind of time frame :p


Son of a...

In that case could you put up some detail pictures? I want to see the eye candy (the bridge in the banner looks sooo good).

prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-26 23:40:08
October 26 2010 23:26 GMT
#16
On October 27 2010 07:44 burningDog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2010 07:39 prodiG wrote:
As for an EU upload I have every intention on getting it up on EU but I may wait for further testing before I give any kind of time frame :p


Son of a...

In that case could you put up some detail pictures? I want to see the eye candy (the bridge in the banner looks sooo good).



Here are a bunch of completely unedited images that I just took in the map. See if you can spot where they on the map ;D

+ Show Spoiler [Additional Images] +

[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


Enjoy ;D (Fire medium is my favorite doodad. Ever.)
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Seide
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States831 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-26 23:46:28
October 26 2010 23:44 GMT
#17
On October 27 2010 06:30 prodiG wrote:
List of units that fit through the small bridge
Terran
SCV, Marine, Marauder, Reaper, Ghost, Hellion, Viking (landed)

Zerg
Drone, Zergling, Baneling, Hydralisk, Changeling, Broodling

Protoss
Probe, Zealot, Sentry, High Templar, Dark Templar

Skeptical on allowing Hydras, Marauders, but not stalkers or roaches. Unless its an accidental omission.
But will try it out never the less.
One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
October 26 2010 23:49 GMT
#18
On October 27 2010 08:44 Seide wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2010 06:30 prodiG wrote:
List of units that fit through the small bridge
Terran
SCV, Marine, Marauder, Reaper, Ghost, Hellion, Viking (landed)

Zerg
Drone, Zergling, Baneling, Hydralisk, Changeling, Broodling

Protoss
Probe, Zealot, Sentry, High Templar, Dark Templar

Skeptical on allowing Hydras, Marauders, but not stalkers or roaches. Unless its an accidental omission.
But will try it out never the less.

It's not my choice, those are the units that are the appropriate size to fit. If I were to alter the sizes, the map would be custom and not melee.

Blizzard's call, not mine
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
October 26 2010 23:53 GMT
#19
Very interesting bridge concept. I doubt I'd use it at all, but its interesting ^^
Life is Good.
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
October 26 2010 23:56 GMT
#20
On October 27 2010 08:53 Alou wrote:
Very interesting bridge concept. I doubt I'd use it at all, but its interesting ^^

Paranoid Android ;D
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O156
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 559
ZZZero.O 156
Hyun 54
soO 50
Dota 2
qojqva2175
monkeys_forever28
League of Legends
Doublelift2229
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4308
Liquid`Hasu680
Other Games
summit1g7435
FrodaN1667
KnowMe357
Pyrionflax209
420jenkins184
Livibee171
QueenE99
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick698
StarCraft 2
angryscii 37
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 72
• Adnapsc2 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1014
• Shiphtur618
• Scarra344
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 47m
Patches Events
17h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 47m
OSC
1d 1h
OSC
1d 14h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.