• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:30
CEST 18:30
KST 01:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8392 users

Pulling Wisdom Teeth

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
July 21 2009 15:33 GMT
#1
Greetings TLers.

I am nervous about tomorrow, because I will be going to the dentist's to get (at least) one wisdom tooth pulled out. While I am already too aware of the pain and suffering that will come after the operation, this is not what I am most concerned with right now.

The problem is that my regular dentist refused to do it for me, and instead recommended me to a specialist - oral and maxiofacial surgeon, to be more precise. Consequently I fear for my wallet - as I have absolutely no idea how much that evil dentist will charge me.

So my questions are: have you had your wisdom teeth pulled before? And how much did that cost you (before your insurance coverage, of course)?

More information about this tooth:
+ Show Spoiler +

It is on my lower left jaw with a mesioangular impact. Here's a picture (not mine) of this kind of wisdom teeth orientation.
[image loading]

:]
lOvOlUNiMEDiA
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States643 Posts
July 21 2009 15:38 GMT
#2
I wouldn't go to an evil dentist if I where you. Find a good one (I guess that means someone who will do it for no profit).
To say that I'm missing the point, you would first have to show that such work can have a point.
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
July 21 2009 15:41 GMT
#3
On July 22 2009 00:38 lOvOlUNiMEDiA wrote:
I wouldn't go to an evil dentist if I where you. Find a good one (I guess that means someone who will do it for no profit).


The problem is that I was recommended by my regular dentist so I have never been there before. Also, if I don't even know how much it "normally" costs, it will be difficult for me to tell if he is "evil" or not.
:]
Arbiter[frolix]
Profile Joined January 2004
United Kingdom2674 Posts
July 21 2009 15:56 GMT
#4
I had three pulled in one go, about 10 years ago. It was expensive and horrible but necessary. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you'll be right as rain in no time.
We are vigilant.
Fen
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Australia1848 Posts
July 21 2009 16:06 GMT
#5
On July 22 2009 00:33 illu wrote:
Greetings TLers.

I am nervous about tomorrow, because I will be going to the dentist's to get (at least) one wisdom tooth pulled out. While I am already too aware of the pain and suffering that will come after the operation, this is not what I am most concerned with right now.

The problem is that my regular dentist refused to do it for me, and instead recommended me to a specialist - oral and maxiofacial surgeon, to be more precise. Consequently I fear for my wallet - as I have absolutely no idea how much that evil dentist will charge me.

So my questions are: have you had your wisdom teeth pulled before? And how much did that cost you (before your insurance coverage, of course)?

More information about this tooth:
+ Show Spoiler +

It is on my lower left jaw with a mesioangular impact. Here's a picture (not mine) of this kind of wisdom teeth orientation.
[image loading]



The oral and maxiofacial surgeon will be far better at the removal than your dentist. Id honestly be happy that I was referred on even if it costs a bit more.
HooHa!
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
United States688 Posts
July 21 2009 16:21 GMT
#6
Yes I had to have an oral surgeon pull 5 of my teeth, 4 wisdoms and a broken tooth, they are supposed to do it anyways.

The specialist should know what he/she is doing. This guy did it very quickly and very skillfully, they kept me comfortable and I didn't fear at all, plus he was real nice. They will have you on a payment plan, they are expensive but its worth it, dental health is very important surprisingly.. Mine was very expensive due to I needed a tooth implant also, and that has finally been taken care of. They did it quick and good. So yeah, just make sure you can trust them when you have the first consult.

Make sure you have someone to help you after your surgery. I think these procedures are in the thousand range, maybe less. I don't remember though. But you shouldn't worry it's just money.
Hoo Ra!
ChoboOv
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Canada126 Posts
July 21 2009 16:30 GMT
#7
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed many years back, the actual procedure I was out and I don't remember any pain during the procedure so you shouldn't worry. All 4 of my teeth were impacted so I had to have some minor surgery part of my jaw was taken off as well as all 4 wisdom teeth broken in half. After the procedure I woke up all woozy from the drugs the dentist gave me, he gave me T3s which work wonders for pain. I wasn't really able to eat any solids for ~ a week. The costs I don't remember but it was at least a couple thousand dollars. It looks like your tooth is impacted which means you will have to get this done or you will run into complications later on.

I don't think you should worry about anything it's a pretty standard procedure now a days.
MiniRoman
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Canada3953 Posts
July 21 2009 16:32 GMT
#8
I just got all 4 of mine out, the normal dentist is suppossed to recommend a surgeon specialist it's normal. It's roughly 600 per tooth + money for anasthetic and shit, overall mine was 1900 but Greenshield covered 80% of the costs. What kinda dental insurance do you have?
Nak Allstar.
Alsar
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States130 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-21 16:35:16
July 21 2009 16:33 GMT
#9
I had my wisdom teeth taken out. It really wasn't that bad at all. They just put you under, you blink your eyes and it's over. : D It's actually really normal that your regular dentist refers you to a specialist for it, they did that for me and a lot of people I know also.

Depending on how much work they have to do to get them out, it may hurt anywhere from a lot afterwards, to not at all. It all depends on if they actually have to break the tooth to get it out, usually. And how far in it's lodged. But either way it's not that bad, just a bit of uncomfortable pain for awhile afterwards if anything.

As for me personally there was hardly any pain at all, and I didn't even need any of the vicoden I got for it. Just no solid food for a couple weeks and that was it.
Bosu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3247 Posts
July 21 2009 16:33 GMT
#10
It is painful for some and not for others. For me it was pretty painful, but I slept for a long time after the surgery which helped. Most people don't have much pain at all though other than not being able to eat solid food for a few days.
#1 Kwanro Fan
poilord
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Germany3252 Posts
July 21 2009 16:57 GMT
#11
I thought you had insurance to pay for this kind of procedure?

Even if it costs you a little more, I think you're better taken care of at a specialist. That's what he's specifically been trained for. And as Hooha said: It's just money; it's better to walk around with your teeth in a neat row as opossed to somebody taking a handful und throwing them into your mouth to see what sticks -.-

Back in the day my dentist recommended that I don't get mine removed, because they won't be causing problems. And now I have crooked teeth, so better get yours done.
50bani
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Romania480 Posts
July 21 2009 16:57 GMT
#12
O_o what the hell is this? Am I the only one to use wisdom teeth to chew food? Truth be told, i had one extraction on my lower left so there was a lot of room for the wisdom tooth to grow well there. But also fine on other positions.
I'm posting on twoplustwo because I have always been amazed at the level of talent that populates this site --- it's almost unparalleled on the Internet.
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-21 16:59:32
July 21 2009 16:59 GMT
#13
my wisdom teeth was wise enough to grow properly :p is the procedure really so hard that your normal dentist won't do it? sound's weird to me. By the way i'm sure you will be fine, the worst thing that can happen is that it hurts a little.
d3_crescentia
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4054 Posts
July 21 2009 17:02 GMT
#14
wow I just went to the dentist this morning and the x-rays of my bottom two wisdom teeth look EXACTLY like that
once, not long ago, there was a moon here
REDBLUEGREEN
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Germany1904 Posts
July 21 2009 17:07 GMT
#15
haha I remember when I went to the dentist to get my wisdom thoot out I was totally tripping on the sedatives but I didn't mind because I was in my drugs/experimental phase back then anyway =)
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
July 21 2009 17:07 GMT
#16
Had all four of mine pulled out about 9 years ago. I was a tremendous pussy and needed all kinds of vicodin and gauze and coddling from my girlfriend at the time. They were pretty bad though, the bottom ones were coming in at a 90 degree angle directly impacting my molars. The dentist and oral surgeon said that if left unchecked, because teeth grow and wisdom teeth start growing late, they'd cause regular intense headaches. The area that's between the wisdom teeth and the molar is also a tricky spot to clean and so a lot of bacteria builds up there which can lead to advanced decay. I could have had them pulled later, but it would have hurt even more and that was the last year that I was eligible for my parents' dental insurance.

The long and short of it is the oral surgeon knows what he's doing, that's who most people get to do the operation.
Moderator
[GiTM]-Ace
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4935 Posts
July 21 2009 17:08 GMT
#17
just dont be an idiot like me and forget to take the painkillers right after....

I honesty wanted to cry ( i think i might have actually dont remember though)
I may not be the best player right now but I think I can beat any 'best' players. I'll beat all the best players and become the best player. Watch me. - Jju
GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
July 21 2009 17:10 GMT
#18
Luckily i do not have any wisdom teeth coming in yet (knock on wood) but i would assume the specialist is more able better at handling these situations, since it is all he does. Along with some other things, but he is still better at it than your regular everyday dentist and it will of course be more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. Plus the drugs during and after will keep you out until the pain is somehwhat barable.
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
Hammy
Profile Joined January 2009
France828 Posts
July 21 2009 17:12 GMT
#19
On July 22 2009 01:59 nttea wrote:
my wisdom teeth was wise enough to grow properly :p is the procedure really so hard that your normal dentist won't do it? sound's weird to me. By the way i'm sure you will be fine, the worst thing that can happen is that it hurts a little.

When your wisdom teeth actually grow out and become apparent, any dentist could do it quite easily. However, once they have to dig into the flesh to get the tooth out, you're definitely better off with an oral surgeon.
Mykill
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada3402 Posts
July 21 2009 17:12 GMT
#20
btw watch how many painkillers you take. the meds might fuck up your stomach. happened to my bro and he ended up barfing everywhere . yuck!
[~~The Impossible Leads To Invention~~] CJ Entusman #52 The problem with internet quotations is that they are hard to verify -Abraham Lincoln c.1863
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 112
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 451
IndyStarCraft 112
BRAT_OK 41
MindelVK 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27692
Bisu 1559
Shuttle 1377
Hyuk 874
Mini 511
EffOrt 427
firebathero 194
hero 51
Hyun 48
Sexy 46
[ Show more ]
Mong 45
Trap 41
PianO 40
Killer 36
Pusan 34
ToSsGirL 27
sorry 20
zelot 18
Liquid`Ret 17
Rock 13
Bale 11
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9631
qojqva2048
Dendi1003
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1717
crisheroes1112
Liquid`Hasu660
Other Games
fl0m2053
singsing1939
FrodaN1280
B2W.Neo922
Beastyqt728
Mlord429
Hui .242
Liquid`VortiX174
Livibee161
KnowMe140
ArmadaUGS138
Mew2King71
Trikslyr33
CosmosSc2 16
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 58
• StrangeGG 50
• mYiSmile128
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 14
• Azhi_Dahaki12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7999
League of Legends
• Jankos1751
Other Games
• Shiphtur287
• WagamamaTV200
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
30m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 30m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 30m
INu's Battles
19h 30m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 30m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.