• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:34
CEST 18:34
KST 01:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 14073 users

Google Killer?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Mooga
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States575 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-16 02:09:53
April 10 2009 04:57 GMT
#1
[image loading]


http://www.wolframalpha.com/index.html


"A mild-mannered British physicist is trying to render Google irrelevant. Stephen Wolfram, the creator of Mathematica, a grandiosely ambitious piece of software, has come up with Wolfram Alpha, a grandiosely ambitious engine of knowledge.

Grandiosely ambitious, and grandiosely inexplicable. Put simply, Wolfram Alpha, due to launch in May, will "compute" answers to questions, where Google and other search engines merely trawl the Web for pages which might hold the answer.

To do this, Wolfram has had a small army of researchers working on systematically analyzing and structuring the corpus of human knowledge so that a computer might be able to answer questions with concrete answers, such as, "How far will the Earth be from the Sun tomorrow?", a question Google completely fails to answer."

More of the article here

Update (04/13/2009): more info about Wolfram Alpha is available http://www.hplusmagazine.com/articles/ai/wolframalpha-searching-truth

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing if the creator of Mathematica can produce an algorithm that searches the web better than Google, and maybe even threaten to overtake Google's user base. Although I honestly don't expect much, most software on launch date are underwhelming and filled with bugs, and not to mention that it will probably take more than just a better algorithm to dethrone Google (e.g. publicity). But nonetheless, I'm definitely going to give it a shot when it comes out in May 2009.
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
April 10 2009 04:59 GMT
#2
Wow that's sooooo cool.

Mathematica is a really amazing program that can be really fun to play around with if you're into math.

If anyone can beat google, it's probably that guy.
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
April 10 2009 05:00 GMT
#3
foolish. it's either going to take a lot of time or a lot of money to unseat google.
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
April 10 2009 05:01 GMT
#4
Wow, better than Google? Awesome.

But I assume most people use key terms to find stuff through google (for example, "terran emperor boxer pimpest play" or something like that) and not type in question sentences like "What is the pimpest play executed by the Terran Emperor SlayerS_'BoxeR'?"
POGGERS
iSCOUT4u
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States327 Posts
April 10 2009 05:02 GMT
#5
I hope google dies...im really getting tired of hearing "google it" i hate that ppl go with whatever is newer...even if it isnt better. This thing seems like an awesome tool though
<3 R1CH <3 TL Just ordered a TL shirt and can't wait :)
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
April 10 2009 05:04 GMT
#6
So... this is basically like Ask Geeves; useful for retards that don't know how to properly use a search engine?
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
Midnight)Sun
Profile Joined January 2003
United States256 Posts
April 10 2009 05:05 GMT
#7
The only thing that I see beating Google would be something like Yahoo Answers, but in search engine form... So you would type in an actual question and just receive the actual answer instantaneously, which I guess is what is described in the article.

I think the whole search engine industry is heading toward this trend anyway, so it'll be interesting to see who comes up on top first
Licmyobelisk
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Philippines3682 Posts
April 10 2009 05:05 GMT
#8
Do you think it answers religious questions?
I don't think I've ever wished my opponent good luck prior to a game. When I play, I play to win. I hope every opponent I ever have is cursed with fucking terrible luck. I hope they're stuck playing underneath a stepladder with a black cat in attendance a
Mooga
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States575 Posts
April 10 2009 05:08 GMT
#9
On April 10 2009 14:04 EvilTeletubby wrote:
So... this is basically like Ask Geeves; useful for retards that don't know how to properly use a search engine?


Well, I think it's all about efficiency. If you get faster and more accurate answers on average with one search engine, why use the other?
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
April 10 2009 05:11 GMT
#10
On April 10 2009 14:08 Mooga wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2009 14:04 EvilTeletubby wrote:
So... this is basically like Ask Geeves; useful for retards that don't know how to properly use a search engine?


Well, I think it's all about efficiency. If you get faster and more accurate answers on average with one search engine, why use the other?


Depends. If you're looking for a common answer, I'm sure this thing will be great. Then again, if you're looking for a common answer and know how to use a search engine properly, I'm pretty convinced you'd find it just as easily.

I guess I'm just trying to find the "Why" here.
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
demo1
Profile Joined April 2008
Canada145 Posts
April 10 2009 05:12 GMT
#11
interesting. will definitely check it out once it launches.
yeyeyey
DarkYoDA
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
United States1347 Posts
April 10 2009 05:12 GMT
#12
Radical innovation always end an era. It's only a matter of when and who owns the radical innovation.
It's a comedy to claim thy superiority when it's anothers' inferiority which elevated thy mediocrity
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-10 05:21:19
April 10 2009 05:14 GMT
#13
yeah here are some other google killers
http://www.answers.com/bb/
http://www.icerocket.com/
http://www.cuil.com/

bet you never heard of any of them either
(to be fair, some of those are actually good. cuil was made by ex-googlers for example, is really fast and gives great results. plus it has that whole slickness going for it, just like google. but you still haven't heard of it.)
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-10 05:17:24
April 10 2009 05:14 GMT
#14
Google killer is an exaggeration and a half, and I'm going to assume the person who dubbed it such knows this.

Google is so much more than a search engine now. It provides literally hundreds of incredibly useful services, ranging from collaboration tools to website statistics analysis. Yes, the search engine is what they are known for and still their largest asset imo (You could argue that their advertising services are, however I'd say that their advertising platform would be lessened significantly if they lost the market share they have for internet search), but this service described in the OP, answering questions, is probably about 1/4 of the reason I use google search. I use it largely to find websites about certain topics, usually to interact with the communities. Asking for an answer to a question doesn't cover that. Obviously there is probably a significant amount of people (probably even the majority of searchers) who would prefer to search in question form, but my point isn't that it isn't useful, rather that it doesn't cover half of what it could.

All that aside, I like the idea and I hope it works well. I just think Google is too big to be 'killed' by another, possibly more powerful, search engine, especially when its another one of the 'ask a question and we'll give you a direct answer' search engines, as this seems to be.
Their are four errors in this sentance.
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
April 10 2009 05:15 GMT
#15
On April 10 2009 14:01 konadora wrote:
Wow, better than Google? Awesome.

But I assume most people use key terms to find stuff through google (for example, "terran emperor boxer pimpest play" or something like that) and not type in question sentences like "What is the pimpest play executed by the Terran Emperor SlayerS_'BoxeR'?"

There are quite a few search engines that will give better results then google can but none is quite as popular as google
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
Midnight)Sun
Profile Joined January 2003
United States256 Posts
April 10 2009 05:17 GMT
#16
On April 10 2009 14:11 EvilTeletubby wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2009 14:08 Mooga wrote:
On April 10 2009 14:04 EvilTeletubby wrote:
So... this is basically like Ask Geeves; useful for retards that don't know how to properly use a search engine?


Well, I think it's all about efficiency. If you get faster and more accurate answers on average with one search engine, why use the other?


Depends. If you're looking for a common answer, I'm sure this thing will be great. Then again, if you're looking for a common answer and know how to use a search engine properly, I'm pretty convinced you'd find it just as easily.

I guess I'm just trying to find the "Why" here.


It's just that as time goes on people will get more and more lazy and will want an immediate answer to whatever questions they have. If it's easier and more convenient for people to use it, then why not go after that market? And a lot of people don't really know how to use a search engine properly, or how keywords actually work. And also, Google's system has a lot of flaws as well.

I think eventually, all search engines/computers will think more like humans.
Mooga
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States575 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-10 05:20:10
April 10 2009 05:19 GMT
#17
On April 10 2009 14:11 EvilTeletubby wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2009 14:08 Mooga wrote:
On April 10 2009 14:04 EvilTeletubby wrote:
So... this is basically like Ask Geeves; useful for retards that don't know how to properly use a search engine?


Well, I think it's all about efficiency. If you get faster and more accurate answers on average with one search engine, why use the other?


Depends. If you're looking for a common answer, I'm sure this thing will be great. Then again, if you're looking for a common answer and know how to use a search engine properly, I'm pretty convinced you'd find it just as easily.

I guess I'm just trying to find the "Why" here.


Currently, a lot of peoples' choice of search engine boils down to simply popularity or the general trend. That's because they all basically do the same thing. I remember back in the day when I was using Altavista to search on the internetz, and I really couldn't decide which search engine was better between Google and them. But finally, I saw that Google was pulling away and because Google was basically the same as Altavista except with a slightly different web crawling algorithm, I guess I jumped on the Google bandwagon as well.

But if Wolfram is really doing something innovative here with the way that they search with algorithms, then maybe that's the answer to your question of "Why" people might want to switch.
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
April 10 2009 05:24 GMT
#18
Having read the full article now, I get the feeling that this isn't a search engine as we understand the term, rather it's supposed to be a compilation of all human knowledge that can be 'asked' for direct answers.

I think.
Their are four errors in this sentance.
Mooga
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States575 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-10 05:45:37
April 10 2009 05:41 GMT
#19
On April 10 2009 14:24 Bockit wrote:
Having read the full article now, I get the feeling that this isn't a search engine as we understand the term, rather it's supposed to be a compilation of all human knowledge that can be 'asked' for direct answers.

I think.


It seems like they are finding a new way to search for terms using the english language, so rather than relying on a specific combination of words to find your search result, they are working on a way to "explicitly implement methods and models, as algorithms, and explicitly curate all data so that it is immediately computable."

This implies that its main advantage is that it would be useful for finding answers to questions. However, I'm assuming that if you simply type in "teamliquid" into their search engine, it would come up with google-like results, which is basically all that you can expect. Oh well, we'll see when it comes out.
inlagdsil
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada957 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-10 05:51:36
April 10 2009 05:51 GMT
#20
On April 10 2009 14:14 JeeJee wrote:
yeah here are some other google killers
http://www.answers.com/bb/
http://www.icerocket.com/
http://www.cuil.com/

bet you never heard of any of them either
(to be fair, some of those are actually good. cuil was made by ex-googlers for example, is really fast and gives great results. plus it has that whole slickness going for it, just like google. but you still haven't heard of it.)

I tested cuil many times starting on its release date. It sucked back then and couldn't even return itself when you typed in "cuil". It is better now but still not as good as google for most types of searches.
There is nothing cuter than a zergling when it has just started taking crack
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM798
TKL 321
IndyStarCraft 221
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 814
ByuN 379
TKL 331
Reynor 258
IndyStarCraft 221
BRAT_OK 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 49331
Calm 2696
Bisu 2610
FanTaSy 655
Stork 537
Rush 434
hero 243
firebathero 175
actioN 129
Sharp 115
[ Show more ]
Sea.KH 66
Free 50
Mong 31
ToSsGirL 26
Pusan 25
soO 22
Rock 20
Aegong 16
Hm[arnc] 16
HiyA 15
Terrorterran 13
Sacsri 10
scan(afreeca) 10
Dota 2
Gorgc11183
Dendi1128
Counter-Strike
fl0m5569
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King73
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK9
Other Games
singsing1945
Liquid`RaSZi1689
B2W.Neo741
Beastyqt616
olofmeister499
Mlord486
Khaldor465
FrodaN346
KnowMe309
crisheroes167
Livibee17
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 31
• Adnapsc2 12
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach36
• Azhi_Dahaki6
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV521
League of Legends
• Nemesis2772
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1577
Other Games
• Shiphtur707
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 27m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 27m
OSC
6h 27m
Replay Cast
6h 27m
OSC
19h 27m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.