• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:07
CEST 06:07
KST 13:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9731 users

How do you fight procrastination?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Quint
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
467 Posts
January 06 2009 14:38 GMT
#1
I guess everyone is procrastinating from time to time, though some deal better with it and some... not that well. I definitely belong to the latter category and I want to know how I can get into the first one. I know there are a lot of very dedicated people here on tl.net who are successful in broodwar, poker, sports and academics among other things - activities, where you need to be strongminded and -willed to do your daily amount of work in order to reach your goals.

So, how do you it? Right now, I am using the good old 'To Do' list, which is semi-successful - I still postpone the most important things but at the end of the day, I at least got some the minor ones done (my place is never so clean as some days before a test).

Looking forward to your answers.
vGl-CoW
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Belgium8305 Posts
January 06 2009 14:52 GMT
#2
if anyone makes the "i'll tell you later" joke here i will ban you so hard that you, your children and your children's children will be redirected to disneyland any time they even get near to a computer
Moderatorfollow me on twitter if u think ur so tough @BooyaCow
StarN
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2587 Posts
January 06 2009 14:54 GMT
#3
I made a thread on this a while ago when i was still in High School.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=33059

... I'm still struggling against it.
Retired BW Noob
uriel-
Profile Joined August 2007
Singapore1867 Posts
January 06 2009 14:55 GMT
#4
i'll tell y- oh dang


get rid of distractions, whatever is preventing you from doing what you should. Force yourself out of the house and into a nice good place for studying/whatever if you have to.
QuietIdiot
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
7004 Posts
January 06 2009 14:59 GMT
#5
Kick up those primal emotions of fear or "do or die".
Realizing the consequences of your actions will motivate you out of anything, or keep a memento of your past failures caused by procrastination around, like a bad test on top of your desk.
gg_hertzz
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
2152 Posts
January 06 2009 15:03 GMT
#6
find out what you did when you procrastinated and make sure that you can't do any of those things.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 06 2009 15:06 GMT
#7
On January 06 2009 23:52 vGl-CoW wrote:
if anyone makes the "i'll tell you later" joke here i will ban you so hard that you, your children and your children's children will be redirected to disneyland any time they even get near to a computer

I have a great response to that. I'll type it out when I get around to it...
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Deleted User 31996
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
843 Posts
January 06 2009 15:07 GMT
#8
On January 06 2009 23:52 vGl-CoW wrote:
if anyone makes the "i'll tell you later" joke here i will ban you so hard that you, your children and your children's children will be redirected to disneyland any time they even get near to a computer


isnt that a good thing^^?:D
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
January 06 2009 15:14 GMT
#9
request a tempban from irc and TL usually helps
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
Salv
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada3083 Posts
January 06 2009 15:17 GMT
#10
On January 07 2009 00:14 RaGe wrote:
request a tempban from irc and TL usually helps


I've never understood requesting temporary bans, you can still read the forum, so what's the big deal? If I couldn't post on TL it would merely be inconvenient, as opposed to being restricted from reading it.
Hypnosis
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States2061 Posts
January 06 2009 15:21 GMT
#11
i forgot what i was going to say
Science without religion is lame, Religion without science is blind
Kennelie
Profile Joined December 2007
United States2296 Posts
January 06 2009 15:25 GMT
#12
Hrmm i grew up to always do the things I say. I always said "yea I want to go back to school" which I don't know when b/c I've already tried twice and just dropped out before I got anywhere. Besides that I rarely procrastinate b/c I do what I need to do plus extra...Yet I still need to get around to cleaning the garage but I need help with that b/c there is things that belong to my mother and sister. Now when I ask them are they going to help me they always say "yea" and when I am ready to take care of business either I get no help from them or just a tad bit of help which doesn't do shit but make more clutter out of the damn garage. I don't know what to say for myself other then I don't state something I know I probably won't pursue. Now my friends and family is a different story.

.....Oh and Disneyworld > Disneyland kk.
ya had ya shot kid!
fanta[Rn]
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Japan2465 Posts
January 06 2009 15:27 GMT
#13
what sometimes helps me is, I put the books and the papers I have to work on on my desk and let them sit there. And sometimes when I'm really really bored I just grab them and start working on it.
I guess it is semi-procrastination because I don't work on them right away but I tend to work on them earlier than I usually would (last day before deadline).
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 06 2009 15:27 GMT
#14
On January 06 2009 23:38 Quint wrote:
I guess everyone is procrastinating from time to time, though some deal better with it and some... not that well. I definitely belong to the latter category and I want to know how I can get into the first one. I know there are a lot of very dedicated people here on tl.net who are successful in broodwar, poker, sports and academics among other things - activities, where you need to be strongminded and -willed to do your daily amount of work in order to reach your goals.

So, how do you it? Right now, I am using the good old 'To Do' list, which is semi-successful - I still postpone the most important things but at the end of the day, I at least got some the minor ones done (my place is never so clean as some days before a test).

Looking forward to your answers.

I have this problem pretty badly myself, so any advice from me is really the blind trying to lead the blind, but FWIW, making a schedule in addition to a To-Do list sometimes helps me. As long as you're sticking to the schedule, you can't push things off. You should schedule a bit more time for things than you think you'll need though, because if you fall behind, it's very easy to just say "screw it" and that is that.

There are also concentration-aiding drugs (Ritalin, Adderall, and the like) that you might try, if you haven't. They won't get you working on their own, but they can help keep you focused once you begin to work.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
JMave
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Singapore1806 Posts
January 06 2009 15:30 GMT
#15
I always faced this as a child and I'm sure many do. But I think its important to make it a consciour effort to go against the nature that tells you to do it later.

Just a simple illustration, my house only has one pot to boil water and 3 tumblers to hold water, 2 medium sized ones that are in the refridgerator and one huge one that's warm water. I don't really use cups but I used a bottle instead.

Whenever I refill my bottle, the amount of water in the tumbler decreases by alot since my bottle is pretty big(I drink warm water). Based on nature, I usually just fill and walk back up to my room. There has always been this tinge to go boil water and I usually only boil water when the tumbler is empty but I've recently cultivated a habit of going against that nature in me to just walk back upstairs.

You have to find the little things in your life that makes you procrastinate and then force yourself to work against it. As you go on, you find that it becomes easier and easier and you will soon have little trouble with getting over procrastination in that particular thing.




On January 06 2009 23:52 vGl-CoW wrote:
if anyone makes the "i'll tell you later" joke here i will ban you so hard that you, your children and your children's children will be redirected to disneyland any time they even get near to a computer



Muuusst... reessiissttt....caann...ttt. saayyy....
火心 Jealous. I always loved that feeling when I was young. Embrace it.
pirate cod
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
810 Posts
January 06 2009 15:35 GMT
#16
Coffee, cigarettes and getting over yourself.

Also, fuck using FWIW, these acronyms are getting harder and harder to decipher.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 06 2009 15:55 GMT
#17
On January 07 2009 00:35 pirate cod wrote:
Fuck using FWIW, these acronyms are getting harder and harder to decipher.

Geez, I'm sorry, pirate cod. For what it's worth, I only meant to be concise.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
hazz
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom570 Posts
January 06 2009 16:06 GMT
#18
use normal acronyms
TeCh)PsylO
Profile Joined October 2002
United States3552 Posts
January 06 2009 16:07 GMT
#19
I'm not sure if this relates, but at work I discovered that I always did the things I liked to do first, rather than the most important things first. If I had a list of 10 things to do, the tenth thing was the thing I liked the least, and as new things were added to my list it kept dropping down to the last spot. Now I do the thing I like to do the least first, and taking care of the rest is not a problem.
People change, then forget to tell each other - Susan Scott
eugene17
Profile Joined June 2006
Singapore174 Posts
January 06 2009 16:09 GMT
#20
have the same problem where i say i'll do this and finish that and i end up reading some stupid crap or viewing more stupid crap on youtube. having a personal to do/ goals list help me a lot though. so that whenever i look away from the pc i see the reminders that i have. goodluck to you and keep those tips coming!
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 177
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1499
910 89
NotJumperer 82
Bale 31
ajuk12(nOOB) 20
Britney 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm173
febbydoto11
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King63
Other Games
summit1g7842
Coldzera 724
JimRising 614
C9.Mang0340
WinterStarcraft297
PiGStarcraft282
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick972
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter148
• practicex 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo1060
• Rush544
• Stunt115
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 53m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
6h 53m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
19h 53m
Patches Events
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.