• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:47
CEST 00:47
KST 07:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12171 users

Cowboy Bebop Hollywood Movie - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
December 18 2008 20:38 GMT
#41
I cant watch dubbed stuff, always original language to me.

And I didnt think those voice actings were so good, you probably just got used to it.

For instance, when I was a kid I watched a ton of dubbed animes, and when I watch them original nowdays it sounds really weird.
Same with cowboy bebop, I have only watched the original, so in english it sounds soooo weird.
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
EpiK
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5757 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-18 20:41:28
December 18 2008 20:39 GMT
#42
On December 19 2008 03:26 esla_sol wrote:
who could do it better:

brad pitt
orlando bloom
johnny depp

with a twist: hugh grant
with a twist of blackness: will smith


of course christian bale would be awesome at it. if you look at his character in american psycho i think its a lot similar to spike, sans some of the mental shit.


wtf? none of those guys.. There are just some anime characters that can't be depicted in real-life and spike is one of them.

Usually I like to reserve judgment on movies until I've watched the movie but there is no way they can pull off a live-action Cowboy Bebop.
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-18 20:41:58
December 18 2008 20:41 GMT
#43
On December 19 2008 05:39 EpiK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2008 03:26 esla_sol wrote:
who could do it better:

brad pitt
orlando bloom
johnny depp

with a twist: hugh grant
with a twist of blackness: will smith


of course christian bale would be awesome at it. if you look at his character in american psycho i think its a lot similar to spike, sans some of the mental shit.


wtf? none of those guys.. There are just some anime characters that can't be depicted in real-life and spike is one of them.


Nan, Brad Pitt and Johnny depp could be great.

edit: i just imagined depp doing the cigarrete swallowing scene and it was great.
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Spike
Profile Joined October 2003
United States1392 Posts
December 18 2008 20:51 GMT
#44
On December 19 2008 05:38 D10 wrote:
I cant watch dubbed stuff, always original language to me.

And I didnt think those voice actings were so good, you probably just got used to it.

For instance, when I was a kid I watched a ton of dubbed animes, and when I watch them original nowdays it sounds really weird.
Same with cowboy bebop, I have only watched the original, so in english it sounds soooo weird.


nonsense!

one of the few (maybe only) instances where i would say that the dub is on par if not better than the original.
boesthius
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States11637 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-18 20:56:30
December 18 2008 20:55 GMT
#45
--- Nuked ---
Spike
Profile Joined October 2003
United States1392 Posts
December 18 2008 20:57 GMT
#46
? mean the dub/sub thing; cause you know it is
Athos
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2484 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-18 20:59:50
December 18 2008 20:58 GMT
#47
On December 19 2008 05:51 Spike wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2008 05:38 D10 wrote:
I cant watch dubbed stuff, always original language to me.

And I didnt think those voice actings were so good, you probably just got used to it.

For instance, when I was a kid I watched a ton of dubbed animes, and when I watch them original nowdays it sounds really weird.
Same with cowboy bebop, I have only watched the original, so in english it sounds soooo weird.


nonsense!

one of the few (maybe only) instances where i would say that the dub is on par if not better than the original.



The Full Metal Alchemist dub is another one I'd consider better than the original Japanese.
SpiralArchitect
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2116 Posts
December 18 2008 21:01 GMT
#48
Fuck this. CB shouldnt even be brought to the live screen by hollywood imo, they are just going to butcher it like a fucking dead pig or some shit. FUCK THIS!
TeamLiquids #1 illiterate writer, writin dem wordz is de hardz.
boesthius
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States11637 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-18 21:03:10
December 18 2008 21:02 GMT
#49
--- Nuked ---
SK.Testie
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada11084 Posts
December 18 2008 21:04 GMT
#50
Wat?
No dubs come close to subs.
Give me a sample. I've never heard one where i'm like, "wow this is really good and captures the same feel and tone." It's always, "WHY DO ENGLISH VOICE ACTORS SUCK."
It's like they all think they are too cool to do the job they are doing and you can hear it thus they suck at it.
Social Justice is a fools errand. May all the adherents at its church be thwarted. Of all the religions I have come across, it is by far the most detestable.
SpiralArchitect
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2116 Posts
December 18 2008 21:06 GMT
#51
On December 19 2008 01:12 Ack1027 wrote:
Yeah.....Idk how things like this happen, but why ruin a classic. I mean isn't watanabe's style to leave stories once they are finished? Besides he was so adamant about being ' done ' with the bebop universe its weird that he's going along with this. [ I would assume hollywood needs the rights from him ]

The music, the environment, the characters, the story [ the last 2 episodes omg ] its just all seemingly impossible to translate into a real-life story. This is by far my favorite anime.

But on a side note, I have no idea why people bandwagon on the ' Keanu Reeves is a bad actor ' train. He's really not that bad of an actor. I mean sure he won't fit the role of Spike and he plays similar stoic roles in a span of movies but that doesn't mean he's a bad actor. Are you gonna say Morgan Freeman is bland because he plays the token black old guy? Or Michael Caine? Keanu is the protagonist in the Matrix. The fucking matrix, remember that.

Morgan Freeman doesnt just play the token black guy what the fuck! Michael Caine isnt a one role actor either. You just took two of the best actors of all time and put them in the same boat as a shitty ass role actor. Sure Keanu does a good job of being quite and shooting a gun but for the love of God please dont put him in the same group as people like that, its shameful.
TeamLiquids #1 illiterate writer, writin dem wordz is de hardz.
ZERG_RUSSIAN
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
10417 Posts
December 18 2008 21:14 GMT
#52
[image loading]


ROFL
I'm on GOLD CHAIN
Athos
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2484 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-18 21:22:29
December 18 2008 21:21 GMT
#53
On December 19 2008 06:04 MYM.Testie wrote:
Wat?
No dubs come close to subs.
Give me a sample. I've never heard one where i'm like, "wow this is really good and captures the same feel and tone." It's always, "WHY DO ENGLISH VOICE ACTORS SUCK."
It's like they all think they are too cool to do the job they are doing and you can hear it thus they suck at it.




I think it depends a lot of on the show you watch. I personally think that the American voice actors in Cowboy bebop create a more Western feel to the show that reminds me of the good ole' wild west. Again, I watched the sub before the dub; I wouldn't have watched the dub unless it was really that good. Of course, there are other cases where I can't stand the English; I can't watch the Trigun dub; it's just terrible. The original voice actor for Vash does a much better job acting crazy; it's like the English voice actor can't even keep up. Trust me though; FMA and Cowboy Bebop go above and beyond; something that's rare in most animes. Also, the dub for Golden Boy is just plain hilarious.
ZERG_RUSSIAN
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
10417 Posts
December 18 2008 21:23 GMT
#54
Bebop, Lupin III and Pokemon all had really good dubs. There are many more examples.
I'm on GOLD CHAIN
traced
Profile Joined October 2007
1739 Posts
December 18 2008 21:28 GMT
#55
bebop had good dubs

also consider that subs lose nuance in translation, just like dubs

also consider the bebop is an ode to america's contribution to culture (the west, jazz, science fiction), even though the japanese voice acting may be better, it's actually a limitation of the series.
Malongo
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Chile3479 Posts
December 18 2008 21:37 GMT
#56
I really like the bebop dub even if its quite different from the original, because it was a good cultural adaptation. Obviously the original is unmatched since it takes the original concept but overall the english dub makes a very good work. Back on topic please dont kill cowboybebop, we dont want a movie, i wont watch it and i dont want to hear all this fucking hey did you saw last K.R. movie... awesome... OMG and who the fuck is gona be the lovely bitch?
[image loading]

im faye valentine! -kk no tnx-
Help me! im still improving my English. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. M. G.
Quint
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
467 Posts
December 18 2008 21:41 GMT
#57
Usually I agree that the original japanese voice actors > english dubs, but Cowboy Bebop was dubbed really well. As already mentioned, in the original Faye sounded very young while Vicious voice was just... inappropriate. Even the german voice actors did a fairly decent job, so up to now CB is in my opinion one of the best dubbed anime overall.

Concerning the movie: If they focus on the darker aspects of the series, throw in fast jazz, dog fights in space, martial arts and cool sword/gun scenes it could work out. Since the original storyline with Spike and Vicious is only a few episodes long, they actually could show it in 2,5h. If Spike and Vicious can be displayed somewhat authentic, it could work out. At least I hope so.
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
December 18 2008 21:43 GMT
#58
I'm ok with a crappy DB movie but not this. No fuck them, they are going to screw with one of my favorite animes.
♞
Fwmeh
Profile Joined April 2008
1286 Posts
December 18 2008 22:01 GMT
#59
On December 19 2008 05:31 Athos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2008 04:43 iori_LT wrote:
On December 19 2008 03:19 mahnini wrote:
they couldve at least gotten someone who knew some type of martial art, cause y'know, there is bound to be some hand to hand combat scene and those were really the best in bebop.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTcA8gWVuE&feature=related
7:25 thx

gosh guys how can u watch such an amazing anime with this retarded american voicing actors... seriously u loose like half of the charm these series have




I watched it in both Japanese with subs and English; I actually think the English voice actors did a better job overall. Faye sounds like a school girl in the Japanese version; The english voice actress seems to give a more mature vibe. Oh, and the guy who voices Spike is one the best English voice actors around; I can't remember his name right now; but he's in quite a few english dubs.




Also, Keanu is fine to work with Kong-Fu; he was in the Matrix after all, and those fight scenes were quite nice looking. I'm actually optimistic about this production; I can't really say its going to be epic fail like dragoonball is destined to be quite yet. We'll see in time.

While Im not the greatest fan of Cowboy Bebop, you just uttered the greatest heresy possible. Hayashibara Megumi is the greatest Seiyuu of all time, period.
A parser for things is a function from strings to lists of pairs of things and strings
Ack1027
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States7873 Posts
December 18 2008 22:01 GMT
#60
On December 19 2008 06:06 SpiralArchitect wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2008 01:12 Ack1027 wrote:
Yeah.....Idk how things like this happen, but why ruin a classic. I mean isn't watanabe's style to leave stories once they are finished? Besides he was so adamant about being ' done ' with the bebop universe its weird that he's going along with this. [ I would assume hollywood needs the rights from him ]

The music, the environment, the characters, the story [ the last 2 episodes omg ] its just all seemingly impossible to translate into a real-life story. This is by far my favorite anime.

But on a side note, I have no idea why people bandwagon on the ' Keanu Reeves is a bad actor ' train. He's really not that bad of an actor. I mean sure he won't fit the role of Spike and he plays similar stoic roles in a span of movies but that doesn't mean he's a bad actor. Are you gonna say Morgan Freeman is bland because he plays the token black old guy? Or Michael Caine? Keanu is the protagonist in the Matrix. The fucking matrix, remember that.

Morgan Freeman doesnt just play the token black guy what the fuck! Michael Caine isnt a one role actor either. You just took two of the best actors of all time and put them in the same boat as a shitty ass role actor. Sure Keanu does a good job of being quite and shooting a gun but for the love of God please dont put him in the same group as people like that, its shameful.


Calm down. I'm not comparing them. I never said nor implied they were in the same group.
Freeman is arguably one of the best actors of our generation, but look at recent movies: shawshank, bucket list, Evan almighty, Wanted.....Those aren't all similar roles but he plays some sort of old/wise/leader/black or combination. My POINT which was the entire reasoning of why I even posted that was because its dumb to think it makes someone any less of a ' good actor ' because they play a role over and over.


Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
19:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O138
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11149
Artosis 442
White-Ra 192
ZZZero.O 138
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm161
League of Legends
Doublelift4992
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4422
Other Games
summit1g8216
FrodaN2611
Liquid`RaSZi2001
C9.Mang0358
ToD269
Livibee197
Pyrionflax117
Maynarde64
Mew2King54
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1104
StarCraft 2
CranKy Ducklings0
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 135
• musti20045 35
• HeavenSC 32
• Sammyuel 28
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1469
• Shiphtur643
• Scarra497
Upcoming Events
OSC
13m
Replay Cast
13m
OSC
13h 13m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.