• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:05
CEST 18:05
KST 01:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7698 users

Hiko and GBJames joining our ranks

Forum Index > General Forum
32 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All

Hiko and GBJames joining our ranks

Text byBumblebee
September 3rd, 2015 23:17 GMT
Team Liquid is delighted to welcome two new faces to our Counter-Strike: Global Offensive division. As has been known to the public for a while, Hiko has been our fifth man on the team in place of flowsicK. We have now finally made the decision to add Hiko to Team Liquid permanently, which in turn means that flowsicK will no longer be part of the team. Everyone on Team Liquid has nothing but respect and gratitude for Kyle and we have thoroughly enjoyed the time with him. We wish you the best of luck wherever your road leads from here.

In addition to Hiko, we have been working with a new coach, GBJame^s, and he too is now officially joining the ranks of Team Liquid. James has spent the past month developing a promising relationship with our players and management, and we're thrilled to announce him as our CS:GO team's new head coach and manager.


Spencer "Hiko" Martin

Today I am excited to announce a new chapter in my CS:GO Career. I am now a permanent player on Team Liquid.

I want to first talk about my time in Nihilum. I knew it was a risky move and I wanted to get my foot back into the competitive scene. When I first joined them, I was contacted by Semphis who was very confident that the team had huge potential and that we could possibly be a top team in the USA. Immediately it seemed apparent there were many problems with the team that existed in their core before Semphis and I even joined. We tried to make things work by making everyone feel comfortable and having their main spots but our roles were really messed up and we had two conflicting styles of calling which made us very inconsistent. Nihilum dropped us two weeks before the ESL Cologne qualifiers and the timing couldn’t have been worse because it killed our motivation heading into the event knowing we had no organizational support afterwards.

After failing to qualify for ESL Cologne I felt really bad and I think it sparked the passion that I had throughout most of my career. Looking around at my options, it seemed obvious that Liquid was my first choice but I wasn’t sure they were going to make a roster change after the qualifier. Everyone assumed there would be a big roster shuffle but nobody really knew what teams were going to change players. Fortunately for me, an old teammate and longtime friend of mine, James, ended up landing a coaching role with Liquid. He called me on the phone and asked what my plans were, and if there happened to be a spot on Liquid would I take it. The answer was immediately yes, and since I wasn’t contracted to Nihilum anymore there were no problems to just make the switch.

I’ve been standing in with the Liquid guys for about 2-3 weeks now and I’m happy to be able to call these guys my teammates. In this process however, people have branded me as a greedy person and I would like to explain a little as to why there were delays in this happening. Firstly, I assure you I am not making “2.5x or more” than the other players on my team. Secondly, I have personal deals and sponsorships that need to be honored, so it was a very slow back and forth process to figure out how to handle everything. I also want to address the idea that I kill teams or cause unnecessary drama in my teams; I have always and will always value long lasting rosters over team hopping.

I know I have previously said big organizations are a bad thing for players and they usually don’t treat players well, but I have worked with both owners of Liquid and I believe I will be much happier here than I was in previous teams. There’s a certain level of transparency I believe an organization needs to have, and I think Liquid has gone above and beyond what I’ve experienced in the past. It seems to me that Liquid treats their players very fair, and I respect them a lot for doing so. My heart and passion is still with the game and there’s only one thing I want moving forward: A Championship Title. I am excited to see what we are able to achieve with having such a solid organization behind us and I cannot wait to prove all of the haters wrong.

Thank you for all of your continued support, I cannot wait to see what we can achieve under the Liquid brand!


James "GBJame^s" O'Connor

It’s been a whirlwind re-entering the CS:GO community. I left three years ago with an early lead on the game when we were the best team in NA (Dazed, Moe, Pinekone, Hiko, and myself). I replaced myself with Semphis and Moe with Sgares. That core went on to do great things. Oddly enough, my wife is the reason I have come back to CS. She met my close friends and former teammates LuckeyTed and Pinekone at my wedding and kept learning about how big gaming had become and demanded I re-enter the scene in some way. I feel blessed to have such support from my wife and equally lucky that within 2 weeks of coming back I was recruited by Liquid. I have a lot to learn about the game but the fundamentals haven’t changed.

I’ve played over 10 years of invite-level competitive play, created and lead 9 teams to invite, coached over 200 teams in over 24 different countries through lessons. I’ve taken lessons from most of the former top minds in CS to collect their unique perspectives. I’ve been the IGL for every team I’ve ever been a part of. My goal is to implement the fundamentals I’ve learned over my career to raise the bar for American CS through Liquid’s team play. It is my hope that they will set an example; with the community's support, I think we will do just that.

Liquid's skill is unquestionable, but often players with such skill tend less to depend on their teammates or have rarely been forced to do so. I believe that is our greatest barrier currently. I’ve been extracting their true identity and will continue to support them as they further develop into their roles as leaders.

What I specifically do:

I will be evaluating the team's play looking for gaps. I will research other teams in the world, evaluate our own team play, and coach during live matches. Eventually I believe the coaching role may move to being an IGL where the 5 players focus on fragging. I ask myself, "who better to call strats than someone that can see what all 5 players are doing?"—it’s what they do in football. I currently feel we have an advantage on teams when I can attend high profile matches. We are also creating an analytics piece and will be hiring someone to support me in this. I will also take on the management of the team.

The first roster management decision that I brought to Liquid was to add Hiko to the team. I have a strong relationship with Spencer and I consider him a good friend. I also recruited him to my previous team and it turned out to be a great decision for both of us. We’re hoping we can continue our previous success together, albeit in different roles as I was playing at the time.

It’s important to note that I am highly against frequent roster changes. I believe you exhaust all options before you make a roster change. I believe it creates distrust within a group, an unwillingness to disclose mistakes, and kills team growth. I am certain that Hiko and our team would have been playing together already had contract and organizational confusion not gotten in the way earlier. I look forward to great things to come.

Liquid’s staff is incredibly supportive and their organizational structure is impressive. Both Steve and Victor are of high character and I look for to knowledge sharing with the LoL coaches for best practices, and evolving the CSGO coaching position. Go USA!


Connect

Liquid`Hiko



Liquid`GBJames^s





Facebook Twitter Reddit
There is no difference between a knight and any other man aside from what he wears. @robinnymann
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
September 03 2015 23:29 GMT
#2
Nice glad to see the money not being spent on a dota team is being put to use.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
September 03 2015 23:34 GMT
#3
Well this was kind of expected given that we saw GBJames at Burbank and Hiko playing with the team for the last month. Now we just need to qualify for the major
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
Spinoza
Profile Joined October 2010
667 Posts
September 03 2015 23:51 GMT
#4
I am a StarCraft guy and as such totally inappropriate to comment on this change. But I still want to say that this is the coolest and most dedicated team you could possibly find, and that I am sure these additions to the CS:GO team will find this a warm welcoming team of professionals.

I wish you all the best of luck. Now I am of to watch some SC2

Cheers!

FanTaSy | Flash | Movie | Leta | Stork | Map:Destination[BW]
RuiBarbO
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
United States1340 Posts
September 04 2015 00:06 GMT
#5
Some well-written statements there. Welcome to the home team!
Can someone please explain/how water falls with no rain?
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
September 04 2015 00:17 GMT
#6
CS:GOing hard Liquid style~
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
NyxNax
Profile Joined March 2014
United States227 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-09-04 02:12:50
September 04 2015 00:27 GMT
#7
Welcome Hiko & GBjames! By the way Hiko, that was the absolute SICKEST ACE EVER with the Tec-9 (wasnt pistol round) against Sponsorless.
for anyone who hasnt seen yet. Gotta watch it a couple times, it happens pretty quick. HaHa twitch chat afterward exploded of course..
johnbongham
Profile Joined April 2014
451 Posts
September 04 2015 00:37 GMT
#8
gl
Spinoza
Profile Joined October 2010
667 Posts
September 04 2015 01:10 GMT
#9
On September 04 2015 09:27 NyxNax wrote:
Welcome Hiko GBjames! By the way Hiko, that was the absolute SICKEST ACE EVER with the Tec-9 (wasnt pistol round) against Sponsorless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_f7DGs42dA for anyone who hasnt seen yet. Gotta watch it a couple times, it happens pretty quick. HaHa twitch chat afterward exploded of course..


This is way beyond my understanding of the game. Simply put: I haven't the fuckingest clue of what went down. I suppose it is like watching "zergling micro" in StarCraft. It takes practise to both perform and understand.

Cheers.


FanTaSy | Flash | Movie | Leta | Stork | Map:Destination[BW]
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
September 04 2015 01:17 GMT
#10
Hiko pulled off perfect timing basically. He killed the entire enemy team solo (he had no distractions from teammates) on a round where the opposing team was on match point. And he did it with a pistol against 5 rifles.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
WidowMineHero
Profile Joined September 2014
New Zealand143 Posts
September 04 2015 01:17 GMT
#11
I am so glad TL picked up hiko
"Time won't change anything, I will."
MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
September 04 2015 01:29 GMT
#12
On September 04 2015 10:10 Spinoza wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2015 09:27 NyxNax wrote:
Welcome Hiko GBjames! By the way Hiko, that was the absolute SICKEST ACE EVER with the Tec-9 (wasnt pistol round) against Sponsorless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_f7DGs42dA for anyone who hasnt seen yet. Gotta watch it a couple times, it happens pretty quick. HaHa twitch chat afterward exploded of course..


This is way beyond my understanding of the game. Simply put: I haven't the fuckingest clue of what went down. I suppose it is like watching "zergling micro" in StarCraft. It takes practise to both perform and understand.

Cheers.




That's the equivalent of mvp coming back against tefel. But imagine it against another Korean pro
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
Spinoza
Profile Joined October 2010
667 Posts
September 04 2015 02:46 GMT
#13
On September 04 2015 10:17 tofucake wrote:
Hiko pulled off perfect timing basically. He killed the entire enemy team solo (he had no distractions from teammates) on a round where the opposing team was on match point. And he did it with a pistol against 5 rifles.


What ... really ... he did that with a pistol? Amazing. I have to watch it again. Seriously.


FanTaSy | Flash | Movie | Leta | Stork | Map:Destination[BW]
NyxNax
Profile Joined March 2014
United States227 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-09-04 03:15:41
September 04 2015 03:11 GMT
#14
On September 04 2015 11:46 Spinoza wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2015 10:17 tofucake wrote:
Hiko pulled off perfect timing basically. He killed the entire enemy team solo (he had no distractions from teammates) on a round where the opposing team was on match point. And he did it with a pistol against 5 rifles.


What ... really ... he did that with a pistol? Amazing. I have to watch it again. Seriously.




haha yea watch it a few times, its hard to see because it happens so fast, but his very final shot he kills the 5th guy on top of the red train car. He sees him very briefly after killing the 3rd guy, fired 1-2 shots at him, so after killing the 4th guy he knew where hed be. The 2nd guy also dies quite quickly and if ya dont look at the top right you probably wouldnt have known he was dead. Think only fired 2 bullets at him as strafing back behind the train car
porkRaven
Profile Joined December 2010
United States953 Posts
September 04 2015 03:43 GMT
#15
I hope liquid doesn't self destruct because of this . Let's go Liquid!
SHOUTOUTS TO Aylear!!!
johnbongham
Profile Joined April 2014
451 Posts
September 04 2015 03:50 GMT
#16
That ace is real nice and all but all it does is show how bad an "invite" level NA team is to be honest. Hiko can pull stuff close to that all day against na teams.
Shana
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Indonesia1814 Posts
September 04 2015 05:22 GMT
#17
Hope Liquid CSGO can qualify for major
Believing in what lies ahead. | That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
jubil
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2602 Posts
September 04 2015 05:25 GMT
#18
neat stuff
Marineking-Polt-Maru-Fantasy-Solar-Xenocider-Suppy fighting!
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-09-04 05:35:54
September 04 2015 05:35 GMT
#19
Cool stuff! Hiko acing that team with a pistol is pretty much the most wicked thing ever. Some serious perfection right there.
hymn
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Bulgaria832 Posts
September 04 2015 06:08 GMT
#20
Good for Liquid. I hope good for Hiko.
As for the ace - it's damn impressive. But Ustilo did a Tec9 ace on the major. I believe it was also a rifle round vs EnvyUs so calling this the sickest ace is a bit too much.
azk he is the north american player but the titan he is the french stars
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 523
BRAT_OK 49
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31162
Bisu 2702
Shuttle 1679
Hyuk 1013
Mini 819
EffOrt 818
Larva 422
Soma 380
ZerO 243
firebathero 224
[ Show more ]
hero 137
sorry 72
Sexy 57
Hyun 46
PianO 45
Mong 42
Pusan 37
Trap 34
ToSsGirL 33
Killer 28
zelot 18
Terrorterran 16
Rock 13
JulyZerg 11
Bale 11
Sacsri 10
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc10112
qojqva1910
Dendi1001
Counter-Strike
fl0m2746
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1455
crisheroes1146
Liquid`Hasu638
Other Games
singsing1975
B2W.Neo1000
Beastyqt646
FrodaN624
Mlord386
Hui .236
Livibee180
Liquid`VortiX157
KnowMe120
ArmadaUGS110
Mew2King71
Trikslyr24
CosmosSc2 16
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 66
• StrangeGG 39
• mYiSmile119
• Adnapsc2 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• Azhi_Dahaki1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8080
League of Legends
• Jankos1832
Other Games
• Shiphtur203
• WagamamaTV191
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
55m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 55m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 55m
INu's Battles
19h 55m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 55m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.