• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:22
CEST 04:22
KST 11:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9180 users

Tornadoes across Central US

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
holy_war
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States3590 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-26 06:24:00
May 25 2011 00:50 GMT
#1
First of all, thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Joplin, MO where 122+ people died from a EF5 tornado. This has been one of the deadliest tornado years in history.

The central US states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas is widely known to lie on the famous 'tornado alley', where over 90% of tornadoes form in the United States. According to meteorologists this morning, a large tornado outbreak was expected in Oklahoma. Living in Oklahoma for the past 10 years, we are no strangers when it comes to tornadoes, so most people have taken it for granted since “the tornado probably won’t hit us.” So today really wasn’t any different. Fast forward to 3:30 PM, while watching the news, a large tornado hit the town of El Reno, OK, approximately 30 miles away from my residence. It is always heartbreaking to see live video of house after house get demolished by a tornado. Another hour and a half passed and another 2-3 tornadoes were spotted within a 25 mile radius of my house. A bit later, a circulation (radar spotted rotation in the clouds, with the possibility of forming a tornado) was spotted in a storm 45 miles SW of where I am living. Meteorologists projected that storm cluster to travel straight through my town of Norman, OK with my house in its path. Things started to get a little scary. A bit later, the tornado did form and every TV station nearby were showing it on air. The thought of watching THE tornado that could destroy my house was bit scary. In the next 30 minutes or so, the tornado sirens around town all went off and I was ready to hop into our tornado shelter at a moment’s notice. With that storm 10 minutes away from hitting us, the radar spotted two more circulations within a 10 mile radius of my house, both capable of forming tornadoes, and one projected to hit 1-2 miles south. The next 15 or so minutes were really tense, just watching and hoping the tornado would miss my house. Luckily, the first tornado took a path 5 miles north of us and dissipated. One of the circulations didn’t form into a tornado and the other one briefly touched down as a tornado 4 miles southeast of us. It only caused minor damages to a basketball arena.

[image loading]

Most of the storms have passed central Oklahoma and is on path to wreck more havoc across Missouri, Arkansas, etc. So for all of you guys in Central US, stay safe out there and take proper precautions when necessary,

Various pictures of tornadoes and resulting damage from the Oklahoma City area:
+ Show Spoiler +


[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]


Edit: This was originally a blog post.
Kon-Tiki
Profile Joined February 2011
United States402 Posts
May 25 2011 01:00 GMT
#2
I can vouch for this, the tornado sirens were just going off not 10 minutes ago here in the Dallas area. Seems to have calmed down a bit, but the light outside is still very weird
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
danmooj1
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1855 Posts
May 25 2011 01:04 GMT
#3
On May 25 2011 10:00 Kon-Tiki wrote:
I can vouch for this, the tornado sirens were just going off not 10 minutes ago here in the Dallas area. Seems to have calmed down a bit, but the light outside is still very weird


what do you mean by the lights outside?
#1 XellOs fan!
Replevin
Profile Joined February 2006
United States4 Posts
May 25 2011 01:07 GMT
#4
A tornado rolled through my Minneapolis neighborhood yesterday. Two blocks away people lost their roofs, but my block was spared and I got internet back within 48 hours. Lucky, lucky...
Kon-Tiki
Profile Joined February 2011
United States402 Posts
May 25 2011 01:16 GMT
#5
When its tornadic outside, the natural light outside becomes greenish and strange. I think its nature's way of telling us that a tornado is inbound. My point is, that even though the sirens have stopped, it still looks like there might be a tornado in store.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
GoShox
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States1845 Posts
May 25 2011 01:17 GMT
#6
As someone who lives in Kansas, it can be pretty scary.. But somehow the city I live in (Wichita) has managed to avoid tornadoes pretty well for the past 20 years. Hopefully it keeps up!
divito
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada1213 Posts
May 25 2011 01:22 GMT
#7
I so want to visit tornado alley for a decent amount of time.
Skype: divito7
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
May 25 2011 01:34 GMT
#8
Past few days have been very active.

http://www.wunderground.com/severe.asp

Look at all those warnings and advisories.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
Sky
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Jordan812 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 02:11:57
May 25 2011 01:52 GMT
#9
Wow... major places in Texas are sporting up sirens.

Over five-thousand people in Dallas' local news chat room. Seems pretty scary for people who don't have as adequate areas to shelter themselves from a tornado than those of their neighboring states.

EDIT: Dallas/Fort Worth Weather Site
...jumping into cold water whenever I get the chance.
danmooj1
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1855 Posts
May 25 2011 01:59 GMT
#10
On May 25 2011 10:16 Kon-Tiki wrote:
When its tornadic outside, the natural light outside becomes greenish and strange. I think its nature's way of telling us that a tornado is inbound. My point is, that even though the sirens have stopped, it still looks like there might be a tornado in store.


So when there's about to be a tornado a siren goes off? like a fire alarm?

this is all new to me, I live in CA
#1 XellOs fan!
Kon-Tiki
Profile Joined February 2011
United States402 Posts
May 25 2011 02:03 GMT
#11
On May 25 2011 10:59 danmooj1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 10:16 Kon-Tiki wrote:
When its tornadic outside, the natural light outside becomes greenish and strange. I think its nature's way of telling us that a tornado is inbound. My point is, that even though the sirens have stopped, it still looks like there might be a tornado in store.


So when there's about to be a tornado a siren goes off? like a fire alarm?

this is all new to me, I live in CA


Actually, maybe more like those tsunami warnings, or the ones they have on the gulf coast for hurricanes and stuff. Really loud, and designed to be heard over the elements.

Also, just wanna say that things in my area at least have calmed down, for the moment.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Sky
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Jordan812 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 02:32:58
May 25 2011 02:06 GMT
#12
On May 25 2011 10:59 danmooj1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 10:16 Kon-Tiki wrote:
When its tornadic outside, the natural light outside becomes greenish and strange. I think its nature's way of telling us that a tornado is inbound. My point is, that even though the sirens have stopped, it still looks like there might be a tornado in store.


So when there's about to be a tornado a siren goes off? like a fire alarm?

this is all new to me, I live in CA


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKkpaAHeLHc


I've only heard them once in Oklahoma on a trip with my dad. I don't remember them sounding quite like the video. We could see three tornadoes off at the distance with the sirens blazing... really felt surreal and I don't think I've ever felt that scared before or since.

Regardless. Looks like a tornado touched down by Dallas and it might be heading into the city. This could be quite bad. ...differing sources saying different things.

Link for weather stuffs
...jumping into cold water whenever I get the chance.
Kon-Tiki
Profile Joined February 2011
United States402 Posts
May 25 2011 02:12 GMT
#13
On May 25 2011 11:06 Sky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 10:59 danmooj1 wrote:
On May 25 2011 10:16 Kon-Tiki wrote:
When its tornadic outside, the natural light outside becomes greenish and strange. I think its nature's way of telling us that a tornado is inbound. My point is, that even though the sirens have stopped, it still looks like there might be a tornado in store.


So when there's about to be a tornado a siren goes off? like a fire alarm?

this is all new to me, I live in CA


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKkpaAHeLHc


I've only heard them once in Oklahoma on a trip with my dad. I don't remember them sounding quite like the video. We could see three tornadoes off at the distance with the sirens blazing... really felt surreal and I don't think I've ever felt that scared before or since.

Regardless. Looks like a tornado touched down by Dallas and it might be heading into the city. This could be quite bad.


They're different city to city. The sirens in the city I live in are the different than the sirens in the city my old high school was in. Its certainly an eerie feeling
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Trowabarton756
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States870 Posts
May 25 2011 03:54 GMT
#14
Where I live is right in the middle of it, kinda interesting to see whats gonna happen.
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Trowabarton756
SkySpy
Profile Joined October 2010
United States245 Posts
May 25 2011 17:00 GMT
#15
Yay, tornado watch/warning for the next few hours -_-.

Trowabarton756
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States870 Posts
May 25 2011 17:06 GMT
#16
Lol tornados be springing up like no ones business, a few just dropped in kansas/missouri
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Trowabarton756
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
May 25 2011 17:08 GMT
#17
So many tornadoes this year, freaking nuts. I had a friend in Alabama when the really bad ones went through a while back, her shudders got torn off at 4am and a tornado touched down like right around the corner from her. Scary shit - I used to live down in AL as well as stayed in Lawton OK for a period of time...we even had a tornado touch down while I was in Lawton about 10 miles northwest of us.

Stay safe everyone... Hopefully they have some mercy on the east coast. It's been thunderstorming here in Virginia almost every night for like a straight week now. Getting worse and worse too.
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
Bleak
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Turkey3059 Posts
May 25 2011 17:23 GMT
#18
I have a question, I hope noone gets offended because I don't know anything about housing in US, just asking out of curiosity.

As far as I can see, those homes are really fragile, and not really build of strong concrete. So I am curious, why not build stronger homes which won't be demolished by tornadoes in an area where there are a lot of tornadoes happening every season?
"I am a beacon of knowledge blazing out across a black sea of ignorance. "
holy_war
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States3590 Posts
May 25 2011 17:30 GMT
#19
On May 26 2011 02:23 Bleak wrote:
I have a question, I hope noone gets offended because I don't know anything about housing in US, just asking out of curiosity.

As far as I can see, those homes are really fragile, and not really build of strong concrete. So I am curious, why not build stronger homes which won't be demolished by tornadoes in an area where there are a lot of tornadoes happening every season?


The biggest problem with 'stronger' homes is that the construction costs would be significantly higher, thus not attractive to potential homeowners.
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
May 25 2011 17:51 GMT
#20
On May 26 2011 02:30 holy_war wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 02:23 Bleak wrote:
I have a question, I hope noone gets offended because I don't know anything about housing in US, just asking out of curiosity.

As far as I can see, those homes are really fragile, and not really build of strong concrete. So I am curious, why not build stronger homes which won't be demolished by tornadoes in an area where there are a lot of tornadoes happening every season?


The biggest problem with 'stronger' homes is that the construction costs would be significantly higher, thus not attractive to potential homeowners.


It's one of those things that people don't want to shell out the money for less risk, I guess. It's not made a whole lot of sense to me, either.

SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 176
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 512
NaDa 42
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm195
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9827
JimRising 703
WinterStarcraft219
ViBE113
Mew2King68
ArmadaUGS50
Trikslyr45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1455
BasetradeTV223
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream139
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta47
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush317
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 38m
INu's Battles
9h 38m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
12h 38m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 38m
Replay Cast
20h 38m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 8h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.