• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:25
CEST 00:25
KST 07:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)52Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10051 users

[TV] HBO Game of Thrones - Page 50

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 1836 Next
All book discussion in this thread is now allowed.
Epsilon8
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada173 Posts
April 18 2011 04:34 GMT
#981
Does that kid at the end of the episode die for real? He was like my favourite first characters : (.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears.
FyRe_DragOn
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada2057 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-18 04:35:47
April 18 2011 04:34 GMT
#982
any1 know where i can download the first episode? dont have hbo lol

@ epsilon

+ Show Spoiler +
no he survives
aka DragOn[NaS]
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-18 04:35:40
April 18 2011 04:34 GMT
#983
On April 18 2011 13:09 floor exercise wrote:
Started off pretty awesome but then it kind of took a turn for the smutty just for the sake of it. Throw in some electric guitar riffs and Jupiter's Cocks and it'd be like watching a Spartacus ripoff. If you haven't read the books I can't imagine you have any idea what is going on at this point, but there's titties and beheadings every 5 minutes so I'm sure you don't mind that much.

Hopefully most of that is the result of how the beginning of the book had to be condensed. Don't get me wrong, I like Spartacus and I like titties I was just expecting something else.


I never read the books but it seemed relatively coherent to me. I did watch the making of which explained a lot of things. lol@ electric guitars and "jupiter's cock!", so true. I was kinda hoping for more story on the white walkers, but I guess the books aren't written that way so whatever.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
StorkHwaiting
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3465 Posts
April 18 2011 04:37 GMT
#984
Why the hell were the Dothraki portrayed as white people with some weird smatterings of African women? How does that make any sense at all? The Dothraki in the novel were most definitely Asiatic/Mongolian people. Again, typical American TV style to white-wash all the races and just throw in black for exoticism.

And yeah, people who are expecting literary depth in a TV show are gonna be in for major disappointment. Just look at True Blood. The novels were already smutty and romance formulaic enough as they were, HBO somehow managed to dumb them down and make them even MORE smutty.

Great to just have the visuals though. And the action scenes should be great.
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
April 18 2011 04:38 GMT
#985
On April 18 2011 13:28 [GiTM]-Ace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2011 13:19 Jyvblamo wrote:
On the other hand, + Show Spoiler +
Catelyn was dressed during the scene where they get the message from Lysa, whereas in the book she's definitely buck naked.


lol you cant compare every scene to what happens in the book. It's just not gonna happen and you're definitely setting your self up for fail if you do.

I was responding to the people who are saying the episode was too smutty compared to the book, so I'm not sure what you mean.
xjoehammerx
Profile Joined August 2010
United States191 Posts
April 18 2011 04:39 GMT
#986
On April 18 2011 13:09 floor exercise wrote:
Started off pretty awesome but then it kind of took a turn for the smutty just for the sake of it. Throw in some electric guitar riffs and Jupiter's Cocks and it'd be like watching a Spartacus ripoff. If you haven't read the books I can't imagine you have any idea what is going on at this point, but there's titties and beheadings every 5 minutes so I'm sure you don't mind that much.

Hopefully most of that is the result of how the beginning of the book had to be condensed. Don't get me wrong, I like Spartacus and I like titties I was just expecting something else.


Well....if you actually ready the books you would realize that they are not being "smutty just for the sake of it". The books are just like that; people die left and right and guess what? There's lots of sex too. The first episode was very true to the book (since i've read all the books about 5 times i would know). If it offends you stop watching. I hope the rest of the episodes don't disappoint; I was very impressed with the first episode.
I have acquired four score and nineteen difficulties, but a wench cannot be counted amongst them.
zemiron
Profile Joined August 2010
United States481 Posts
April 18 2011 04:40 GMT
#987
On April 18 2011 13:37 StorkHwaiting wrote:
Why the hell were the Dothraki portrayed as white people with some weird smatterings of African women? How does that make any sense at all? The Dothraki in the novel were most definitely Asiatic/Mongolian people. Again, typical American TV style to white-wash all the races and just throw in black for exoticism.

And yeah, people who are expecting literary depth in a TV show are gonna be in for major disappointment. Just look at True Blood. The novels were already smutty and romance formulaic enough as they were, HBO somehow managed to dumb them down and make them even MORE smutty.

Great to just have the visuals though. And the action scenes should be great.


Ummm, the Dothraki didn't seem white to me.
"Fractal alligators. Like a normal alligator, but instead of arms, there are more alligators." -Day9
Epsilon8
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada173 Posts
April 18 2011 04:40 GMT
#988
On April 18 2011 13:34 FyRe_DragOn wrote:
any1 know where i can download the first episode? dont have hbo lol

@ epsilon

+ Show Spoiler +
no he survives



K thats awesome, I would probably have stopped watching if it happened for real.. lol. Someone said there's a lot of tragedy in it so I don't know how long I'll be watching for.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears.
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
April 18 2011 04:42 GMT
#989
On April 18 2011 13:37 StorkHwaiting wrote:
Why the hell were the Dothraki portrayed as white people with some weird smatterings of African women? How does that make any sense at all? The Dothraki in the novel were most definitely Asiatic/Mongolian people. Again, typical American TV style to white-wash all the races and just throw in black for exoticism.

Well, GRRM is one of the executive producers and writers for this show, so I doubt that the presentation of the Dothraki severely contradicts his vision of them. Nowhere in the novels is it mentioned that the Dothraki were physically similar to Mongolians, as far as I can recall.
KaiserReinhard
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States554 Posts
April 18 2011 04:44 GMT
#990
On April 18 2011 13:33 SergioCQH wrote:
For the prudish people complaining about the sex and nudity, the books actually had MORE nudity that this episode left out. Get your facts straight.


Quoted for emphasis, from what I remember the series was very sexualized, which they managed to capture very well so far. You nerds need to stop complaining about tits.

Personally I really like the adaptation so far and am glad I finally have a reason to watch TV again. My only qualm so far is that the wolves aren't getting a lot of screentime, since they were one of my favorite aspects of the story. Still, really awesome so far. It's like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys for grownups.
twitch.tv/imkirok
Xinder
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2269 Posts
April 18 2011 04:49 GMT
#991
The dothraki didn't look even close to white to me. Thought every character was portrayed very well. I also was sad that there weren't much from the wolves in the pilot episode.
"Daaayyyy9, King Pussyfoot of NinnyVille"- Day9 while playing Amnesia
xjoehammerx
Profile Joined August 2010
United States191 Posts
April 18 2011 04:51 GMT
#992
On April 18 2011 13:37 StorkHwaiting wrote:
Why the hell were the Dothraki portrayed as white people with some weird smatterings of African women? How does that make any sense at all? The Dothraki in the novel were most definitely Asiatic/Mongolian people. Again, typical American TV style to white-wash all the races and just throw in black for exoticism.

And yeah, people who are expecting literary depth in a TV show are gonna be in for major disappointment. Just look at True Blood. The novels were already smutty and romance formulaic enough as they were, HBO somehow managed to dumb them down and make them even MORE smutty.

Great to just have the visuals though. And the action scenes should be great.


dumbed down? really? after the first episode you can say that? I think the producers of the show are well within their artistic license. The Dothraki don't look like regular white people; they picked relatively "dark" actors to portray them, in fact Khal Drogo (Jason Momoa) is definitely not white. Also considering the fact that the Dothraki are known for taking slaves it is no surprise that they have random white people and black people (read Summer Islanders, who in the book series are described as having ebony skin) in their camp. I think you are definitely being too harsh. Also, how many "dark skinned Asian actors who stand over 6'2 are there in Hollywood right now? Besides Jason Momoa who is part Pacific Islander.
I have acquired four score and nineteen difficulties, but a wench cannot be counted amongst them.
[GiTM]-Ace
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4935 Posts
April 18 2011 04:55 GMT
#993
On April 18 2011 11:54 zz_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2011 11:50 xDaunt wrote:
On April 18 2011 11:17 1Eris1 wrote:
On April 18 2011 11:09 zerglingsfolife wrote:
God that was fucking sweet

I already love Tyrion



Agreed, easily my favorite character


Tyrion is easily the best character in the series so far. Dinklage plays him perfectly.


He's pretty much the best character in the series, period. That's not to say that the rest of the characters aren't good, George is a master of personalities, but Tyrion is in a league by himself.


and yes tyrion is pretty much the nuts ever since book 1.
I may not be the best player right now but I think I can beat any 'best' players. I'll beat all the best players and become the best player. Watch me. - Jju
Mitsuwa
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
April 18 2011 04:58 GMT
#994
I think the show was pretty good. I love the books and i can't wait till they get deeper into the story. Tyrion I was worried about but he's pretty awesome in the show. I think arya could be pretty cool too
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-18 05:03:44
April 18 2011 05:03 GMT
#995
On April 18 2011 13:55 [GiTM]-Ace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2011 11:54 zz_ wrote:
On April 18 2011 11:50 xDaunt wrote:
On April 18 2011 11:17 1Eris1 wrote:
On April 18 2011 11:09 zerglingsfolife wrote:
God that was fucking sweet

I already love Tyrion



Agreed, easily my favorite character


Tyrion is easily the best character in the series so far. Dinklage plays him perfectly.


He's pretty much the best character in the series, period. That's not to say that the rest of the characters aren't good, George is a master of personalities, but Tyrion is in a league by himself.


and yes tyrion is pretty much the nuts ever since book 1.


I'd say Tyrion and Jon keep me waiting for more. The others are just filler and expendable.

+ Show Spoiler +
I liked Arya until I couldn't follow whatever was going on across the sea, except the one scene with Sam.
There is no one like you in the universe.
shmay
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States1091 Posts
April 18 2011 05:09 GMT
#996
I thought they did a great job. The didn't like how they veered from the prologue, but it's just a quibble. They picked a great guy for Tyrion.
fert
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada71 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-18 05:24:17
April 18 2011 05:22 GMT
#997
So I finally got around to picking up this series from a friends suggestion a few weeks ago, finished book one, was very impressed, felt like I was extremely drawn in, and then I find out that HBO is making this show! Feels like Christmas.

From somebody who just read book 1 through the first time I think they did an excellent job with the show. Especially given that this is the first episode and there is a ton of material and backstory to cover. I actually watched it with two friends who have never read the book, and who I purposely did not tell anything about the backstory, and they felt the pace was just right.

Only universal complaint we had was that the sets and feel of the Dothraki side had us thinking Xena would roll into town. But honestly a minor complaint, recommend this one to your friends!

edit: Oh yea, it does need more direwolves, but I'm sure that will come, in the book there is almost no interaction of Aya or Sansa with their wolves until they start to head out to Kings Landing, so we've got lots of time.
smileyyy
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany1816 Posts
April 18 2011 05:23 GMT
#998
ahh come on stupid internet.. I cant wait for the first ep. Gotta reread the books too =)

Fruitseller: I feel like it's a good strategy[6Pool]. I had a lot of strategies, but I thought about it a lot and decided to 6 pool. Other people told me to 6 pool too
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
April 18 2011 05:36 GMT
#999
Aw man, I can't believe the Kingsguard isn't completely white. Like brilliantly shining bright white. It probably would be too much to ask, but still. And it would probably be hard to find armour like that, but still.
There is no one like you in the universe.
bjwithbraces
Profile Joined April 2010
United States549 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-18 05:40:35
April 18 2011 05:39 GMT
#1000
Do the white walkers play a bigger role later on? I've never read the books but thought they were personally the best part of the episode. Granted I know there's a lot of back story about the intertwining of the characters but I wanted to see more. Seemed like it'd be a bigger deal about this mysterious, brutal people that live outside "the wall" and that's what the main village or whatever are defending against. Or do the books focus more on the workings of this kingdom and less on them[the white walkers]?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/unipolarity/inventory/
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 1836 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 136
SpeCial 111
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12167
Artosis 372
Bale 11
League of Legends
Doublelift3230
JimRising 564
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox436
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4924
Liquid`Hasu1170
Khaldor1055
Other Games
summit1g7270
shahzam524
FrodaN141
ArmadaUGS74
NeuroSwarm72
Mew2King67
ViBE50
JuggernautJason44
PPMD15
Vindicta3
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV219
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream63
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 23
• blackmanpl 20
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie886
• Scarra397
• Shiphtur197
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 35m
Stellar Fest
14h 35m
OSC
23h 35m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 11h
Online Event
1d 12h
FEL
1d 17h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 18h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 20h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.