Also saw Annihilation, movie was very good sci-fi is the classic sense of sci-fi making commentary on parts of human nature. Will provide additional thoughts later.
Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion - Page 9416
| Forum Index > Dota 2 General |
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
Also saw Annihilation, movie was very good sci-fi is the classic sense of sci-fi making commentary on parts of human nature. Will provide additional thoughts later. | ||
|
goody153
44304 Posts
| ||
|
intotheheart
Canada33091 Posts
Until I forget about them, which tends to happen. | ||
|
Gosi
Sweden9072 Posts
| ||
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
Twitch: Man our chat is known for its bad behavior, sexism and racism. KFC: Can we get in on that? Twitch: Of course we will make fried chicken button. This will be fine. | ||
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
I ruin the movie a lot of you haven't seen it. So proceed with that knowledge. + Show Spoiler + So the film framing around the Shimmer, which is some form of extraterrestrial force that causes molecular and genetic structure to refract onto itself. Much like light in a prism, which is a heavy visual used during the film. But also perspective of characters as we understand that they are changed by the Shimmer. The protagonists husband framed behind glass and plastic as we discover he somehow escaped the Shimmer when no one else had. The movie stays true to the classics of science fiction like the twilight zone by never making attempts to explain the mysterious force called the Shimmer. Or how Lena’s Not-husband gets out of the Shimmer. We are left to fill in our own reasoning why the Shimmer ended up killing some people, but not Lena. The film implies some sort of intent with the Shimmer, but that is not shared by all of the scientist who experience it, including Lena, who views its changes as passive and random. The Shimmer changes the characters passively while they are there and it does so in a way that they are not fully aware of. The film leaves use with the unnerving understanding that our very identities are products of our brain. And that trauma (the death of a child, as referenced in the film) can change us forever through reshaping our mind. The film goes so far as to say that the pre-trauma person is dead and the new person is just walking around in the same body. Which is what makes the Shimmer and the thrust of the movie that much more unnerving. I’m still working on other thoughts and I want to watch it again. | ||
|
Spicy_Curry
United States10573 Posts
| ||
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
| ||
|
crms
United States11933 Posts
On March 27 2018 00:13 Gosi wrote: March boys represents hey that's me | ||
|
PoulsenB
Poland7758 Posts
| ||
|
Pontual
Brazil3038 Posts
| ||
|
Logo
United States7542 Posts
On March 27 2018 02:00 Plansix wrote: Annihilation: Thoughts: I ruin the movie a lot of you haven't seen it. So proceed with that knowledge. + Show Spoiler + So the film framing around the Shimmer, which is some form of extraterrestrial force that causes molecular and genetic structure to refract onto itself. Much like light in a prism, which is a heavy visual used during the film. But also perspective of characters as we understand that they are changed by the Shimmer. The protagonists husband framed behind glass and plastic as we discover he somehow escaped the Shimmer when no one else had. The movie stays true to the classics of science fiction like the twilight zone by never making attempts to explain the mysterious force called the Shimmer. Or how Lena’s Not-husband gets out of the Shimmer. We are left to fill in our own reasoning why the Shimmer ended up killing some people, but not Lena. The film implies some sort of intent with the Shimmer, but that is not shared by all of the scientist who experience it, including Lena, who views its changes as passive and random. The Shimmer changes the characters passively while they are there and it does so in a way that they are not fully aware of. The film leaves use with the unnerving understanding that our very identities are products of our brain. And that trauma (the death of a child, as referenced in the film) can change us forever through reshaping our mind. The film goes so far as to say that the pre-trauma person is dead and the new person is just walking around in the same body. Which is what makes the Shimmer and the thrust of the movie that much more unnerving. I’m still working on other thoughts and I want to watch it again. Nice write up! I did have one thing I've been dying to rant about with the movie so I will do so... + Show Spoiler + This movie has the most frustrating ending of any movie I've seen recently. I know some people didn't like the general thrust of whether or not Lena and her Husband made it out of the Shimmer or if it was someone else, but that's not really my problem. I felt like the movie hit a perfect point, Lena asks her husband if he's really her husband. He says, "I don't know" then asks her the same question. Rather than answer she hugs him without saying anything. That was it, that was the right ending for the movie, pan away and roll credits. It was such a good point to stop, but instead we get 2 more cuts with shiny eyes that do nothing but weaken the ending. Also other thought. It's amusing that the bear is basically the same as a bit from Hunger Games (the first book), but does it in film way better than Hunger Games the movie does it and does a great job of making it creepy as hell. | ||
|
Comeh
United States18919 Posts
| ||
|
Fleetfeet
Canada2836 Posts
Also Pontual the funny part is your sig is probably true :D | ||
|
intotheheart
Canada33091 Posts
![]() Trying to get over this cold, think I'll be fine in a couple days. But it's making my head spin a bit. | ||
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
On March 27 2018 04:36 Logo wrote: Nice write up! I did have one thing I've been dying to rant about with the movie so I will do so... + Show Spoiler + This movie has the most frustrating ending of any movie I've seen recently. I know some people didn't like the general thrust of whether or not Lena and her Husband made it out of the Shimmer or if it was someone else, but that's not really my problem. I felt like the movie hit a perfect point, Lena asks her husband if he's really her husband. He says, "I don't know" then asks her the same question. Rather than answer she hugs him without saying anything. That was it, that was the right ending for the movie, pan away and roll credits. It was such a good point to stop, but instead we get 2 more cuts with shiny eyes that do nothing but weaken the ending. Also other thought. It's amusing that the bear is basically the same as a bit from Hunger Games (the first book), but does it in film way better than Hunger Games the movie does it and does a great job of making it creepy as hell. I was also conflicted on the last shot, but remember that a lot of people might miss out what was happening in the movie without that. + Show Spoiler + I agree that the ending shot was a little to leading for most, but I remember that this movie almost didn’t see wide release because it was out there with this concepts and story. So I am 100% sure there was a more subtle cut of that ending that just left the audience feeling sort of cheated. | ||
|
Unleashing
Denmark14978 Posts
Good stuff: Looked good Good giant robot action Interesting story concept Bad stuff: Seemingly held back by the first movie, at least that's what it felt like The interesting story concept had pretty poor execution Slow start, felt like it took forever to get to the food part while the first movie started with the good part Poor use of some of the characters from the first movie It doesn't live up to the first one which was what i expected but on its own it's fairly enjoyable as far as watching giant robots fight stuff goes | ||
|
Artisreal
Germany9235 Posts
and holy smokes the website feedback us pol thread is like the us pol thread rehashed without the threat of moderation | ||
|
Plansix
United States60190 Posts
| ||
|
Artisreal
Germany9235 Posts
![]() | ||
| ||

