• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:51
CEST 09:51
KST 16:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7081 users

General Discussion - Page 4234

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4232 4233 4234 4235 4236 6534 Next
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2

Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads.
Nilrem
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3684 Posts
November 01 2013 01:19 GMT
#84661
On November 01 2013 09:54 synapse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 09:50 Esoterikk wrote:
I'm extremely surprised there really is no Halloween event this year, I figured Valve had a little more sense than that, what a silly thing to shoot yourself in the foot over, hope there is a big patch soon or some people are going to get pretty upset.

I really feel like... why not just bring back diretide for a week or something? appease the community with relatively little work. Hopefully holdout is good :T


Yeah I really do not get it. What bothers me the most of this fiasco is the sheer silence from Valve. If they flat out told us (developers, blog, something, not Cyborgmatt), I would have been a bit more lenient. But nothing is coming from them which I hate the most.

The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?
Meepo Haters gonna Hate. https://twitter.com/KazeNilrem (@KazeNilrem)
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
November 01 2013 01:21 GMT
#84662
Isn't the Diretide map still in the files? I recall there was a while where you could load the map through console commands or something like that
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
Mithhaike
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Singapore2759 Posts
November 01 2013 01:25 GMT
#84663
On November 01 2013 09:19 GentleDrill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:14 Comeh wrote:
[quote]
Malfunctioning game mechanics seems to be his specialty. My brain doesn't have room for all of this. AND he posts a lot on the LoL forums?


I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


Is it that it's dumbed down or just they've actually presented the existing information to the player? (e.g. you can actually see the power of an attack now, EV training was made explicit to some extent) Anyway, I never intended to open up a debate about the relative depth of competitive Pokémon, I just don't know why my original throwaway comment spawned such a chain of replies.

Why are you surprised? We're pretty bored here at DOTA2 GD lol.
Mew Mew Pew Pew
Kznn
Profile Joined March 2011
Brazil9072 Posts
November 01 2013 01:26 GMT
#84664
I don't really want to mention league of legends in here. But they have such an amazing community interaction. Valve should really learn a lot from them. I just feel lost, I don't know their plans, their ideas, their work in progress.. nothing. it's just plain bad.

Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-01 01:30:48
November 01 2013 01:27 GMT
#84665
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:14 Comeh wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:06 Asha` wrote:
[quote]

As if anyone can beat The Yangod to answering a question about game mechanics.

Malfunctioning game mechanics seems to be his specialty. My brain doesn't have room for all of this. AND he posts a lot on the LoL forums?


I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.
FinestHour
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18466 Posts
November 01 2013 01:36 GMT
#84666
On November 01 2013 10:27 Milkis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:14 Comeh wrote:
[quote]
Malfunctioning game mechanics seems to be his specialty. My brain doesn't have room for all of this. AND he posts a lot on the LoL forums?


I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

Show nested quote +
The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.


do u even dota
thug life.                                                       MVP/ex-
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
November 01 2013 01:38 GMT
#84667
On November 01 2013 10:36 FinestHour wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 10:27 Milkis wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
[quote]

I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.


do u even dota


If you're referring to my statement re: "more offensive", I'm referring to Pokemon.

But I do play dota, yes :p
Nilrem
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3684 Posts
November 01 2013 01:39 GMT
#84668
On November 01 2013 10:27 Milkis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:14 Comeh wrote:
[quote]
Malfunctioning game mechanics seems to be his specialty. My brain doesn't have room for all of this. AND he posts a lot on the LoL forums?


I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

Show nested quote +
The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.


I do not feel the same way. Diretide came out last year so there is no real precedent of is occurring annually. But, does it make sense for Valve to not have it again? I mean, CS:GO got somewhat of a theme (they have a ghost chicken) and TF2 has had another event (like every year). The files are still in the game (candies, the rosh, etc.) but Valve decided to not use them.

The game is even considered "released" and somehow it was fine to have it during beta but not now. And like I have mentioned, perhaps they were too busy with other things. Even if that was the case, why not at least activated the Diretide themed map? Valve should have seen some blacklash coming so why the silence? I was giving them the benefit of the doubt by waiting until now and yet nothing.
Meepo Haters gonna Hate. https://twitter.com/KazeNilrem (@KazeNilrem)
GtC
Profile Joined August 2013
United States546 Posts
November 01 2013 01:42 GMT
#84669
On November 01 2013 10:38 Milkis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 10:36 FinestHour wrote:
On November 01 2013 10:27 Milkis wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
[quote]
Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.


do u even dota


If you're referring to my statement re: "more offensive", I'm referring to Pokemon.

But I do play dota, yes :p


Happy 70 squared-th post! :D
The Turtle Moves
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-01 01:49:30
November 01 2013 01:48 GMT
#84670
On November 01 2013 10:39 Nilrem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 10:27 Milkis wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
[quote]

I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.


I do not feel the same way. Diretide came out last year so there is no real precedent of is occurring annually. But, does it make sense for Valve to not have it again? I mean, CS:GO got somewhat of a theme (they have a ghost chicken) and TF2 has had another event (like every year). The files are still in the game (candies, the rosh, etc.) but Valve decided to not use them.

The game is even considered "released" and somehow it was fine to have it during beta but not now. And like I have mentioned, perhaps they were too busy with other things. Even if that was the case, why not at least activated the Diretide themed map? Valve should have seen some blacklash coming so why the silence? I was giving them the benefit of the doubt by waiting until now and yet nothing.


Oh, I'm not defending Valve -- I'm just saying given that we as a community had a lot of expectations, even if they had a policy of minimal communication, it would be great to clear it up if they were going to be delayed like this. I'm not justifying their lack of communication -- I'm just saying that even if they had such a policy, that they should have SAID something instead of just letting the community go full retard. I don't think this was at all good on Valve's part.

Happy 70 squared-th post! :D


Is that a thing now? o.o
Mataza
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Germany5364 Posts
November 01 2013 01:54 GMT
#84671
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:14 Comeh wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:06 Asha` wrote:
On November 01 2013 04:45 Comeh wrote:
[quote]
http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=96098

(surprised I found this)

(after all that hard work Yango beats me)

(sigh)


As if anyone can beat The Yangod to answering a question about game mechanics.

Malfunctioning game mechanics seems to be his specialty. My brain doesn't have room for all of this. AND he posts a lot on the LoL forums?


I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he has invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are. It's pretty laughable that you bring up how people had to research things in Dota because they weren't "public information". Hello almost literally everything from 1st gen Pokémon. Not to mention breeding.

Forgot about breeding.
And yes I am not familiar with the latest generations, I said that. There was a point at which they introduced poke abilities to the new gen and poke bodies and poke powers to the tgc and I am not sure which name belongs to which medium. Obviously I must have no idea then.

And what I'm saying that a game which once was less than 1 mb(first gen) in size and recently surpassed a size of 256MB(black/white generation) might have limits where a map that is played on the wc3 engine does not yet have any.
Except maybe in generating hard to reproduce glitches.
If nobody hates you, you´re doing something wrong. However someone hating you doesn´t make you right
Nilrem
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3684 Posts
November 01 2013 01:56 GMT
#84672
+ Show Spoiler +
On November 01 2013 10:48 Milkis wrote:
On November 01 2013 10:39 Nilrem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 10:27 Milkis wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
[quote]

I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.


I do not feel the same way. Diretide came out last year so there is no real precedent of is occurring annually. But, does it make sense for Valve to not have it again? I mean, CS:GO got somewhat of a theme (they have a ghost chicken) and TF2 has had another event (like every year). The files are still in the game (candies, the rosh, etc.) but Valve decided to not use them.

The game is even considered "released" and somehow it was fine to have it during beta but not now. And like I have mentioned, perhaps they were too busy with other things. Even if that was the case, why not at least activated the Diretide themed map? Valve should have seen some blacklash coming so why the silence? I was giving them the benefit of the doubt by waiting until now and yet nothing.


Oh, I'm not defending Valve -- I'm just saying given that we as a community had a lot of expectations, even if they had a policy of minimal communication, it would be great to clear it up if they were going to be delayed like this. I'm not justifying their lack of communication -- I'm just saying that even if they had such a policy, that they should have SAID something instead of just letting the community go full retard. I don't think this was at all good on Valve's part.


Oh I understand your point. The sheer stupidity of not communicating on outcries like this is the reason why I will continue to believe Valve has something up their sleeves. Valve has done dumb things in the past and is not a perfect company, but even they understand that ignoring the issue will only cause harm. They of course have seen all of this which is why until later, I will have faith in them.

If they do not say anything or reveal their hand, I will be extremely disappointed in them and in how they view their fans.
Meepo Haters gonna Hate. https://twitter.com/KazeNilrem (@KazeNilrem)
FinestHour
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18466 Posts
November 01 2013 02:23 GMT
#84673
singsing is such a better tinker then eternalenvy holy shit
thug life.                                                       MVP/ex-
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
November 01 2013 02:28 GMT
#84674
On November 01 2013 10:56 Nilrem wrote:
Show nested quote +
+ Show Spoiler +
On November 01 2013 10:48 Milkis wrote:
On November 01 2013 10:39 Nilrem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 10:27 Milkis wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
[quote]

I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.


I do not feel the same way. Diretide came out last year so there is no real precedent of is occurring annually. But, does it make sense for Valve to not have it again? I mean, CS:GO got somewhat of a theme (they have a ghost chicken) and TF2 has had another event (like every year). The files are still in the game (candies, the rosh, etc.) but Valve decided to not use them.

The game is even considered "released" and somehow it was fine to have it during beta but not now. And like I have mentioned, perhaps they were too busy with other things. Even if that was the case, why not at least activated the Diretide themed map? Valve should have seen some blacklash coming so why the silence? I was giving them the benefit of the doubt by waiting until now and yet nothing.


Oh, I'm not defending Valve -- I'm just saying given that we as a community had a lot of expectations, even if they had a policy of minimal communication, it would be great to clear it up if they were going to be delayed like this. I'm not justifying their lack of communication -- I'm just saying that even if they had such a policy, that they should have SAID something instead of just letting the community go full retard. I don't think this was at all good on Valve's part.


Oh I understand your point. The sheer stupidity of not communicating on outcries like this is the reason why I will continue to believe Valve has something up their sleeves. Valve has done dumb things in the past and is not a perfect company, but even they understand that ignoring the issue will only cause harm. They of course have seen all of this which is why until later, I will have faith in them.

If they do not say anything or reveal their hand, I will be extremely disappointed in them and in how they view their fans.

They are not exactly known for communicating with the community. I really wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do anything.
IPA
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3206 Posts
November 01 2013 02:37 GMT
#84675
Sing Sing 56-7 as Tinker in a 70 minute game. Almost won... What a game.
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
kaztah
Profile Joined September 2010
Norway1221 Posts
November 01 2013 02:39 GMT
#84676
On November 01 2013 11:37 IPA wrote:
Sing Sing 56-7 as Tinker in a 70 minute game. Almost won... What a game.

More like. 56-7 as tinker, with a spectre on his team, and still lost. What the hell
I speak fluent sarcasm.
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
November 01 2013 02:40 GMT
#84677
On November 01 2013 11:23 FinestHour wrote:
singsing is such a better tinker then eternalenvy holy shit


I saw that, 56-6 on the losing team so crazy.
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
November 01 2013 02:40 GMT
#84678
that was the saddest scoreboard id ever seen.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
November 01 2013 03:38 GMT
#84679
I'm slightly drunk but PA is the most amazing hero in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
canikizu
Profile Joined September 2010
4860 Posts
November 01 2013 03:39 GMT
#84680
On November 01 2013 10:39 Nilrem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 01 2013 10:27 Milkis wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:14 Kupon3ss wrote:
On November 01 2013 09:04 GentleDrill wrote:
On November 01 2013 08:17 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:39 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:31 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:22 SKC wrote:
On November 01 2013 07:04 Mataza wrote:
On November 01 2013 05:29 GentleDrill wrote:
[quote]

I've seen him posting in the Pokémon X & Y thread too. And not just casual stuff, like stuff that suggests he actually knows about those games too.

I think Yango might actually be the nerd I wish I could be.

Since when is there hardcore knowledge about pokemon to be had?
There is catchrate, shiny rate, DVs, EVs and how you can influence these things.

Watching wersterlobe's stream shows me at least that no matter how much you know, you still need luck or time to get what you want at Pokemon.

Speedrunning != Battling. What Werster does has nothing to do with competitive Pokemon, Speedrunning has it's own rules, but you would still surprising with the amount of knowledge it requires. Battling is often a numbers game, what outspeeds what, how many hits will this take to kill that if he has such IVs or such items, etc. It definatelly requires some knowledge to do well.

Things like catch rate, shiny rate are mostly meanignless.

And doing mental arithmetic is amazing since when?
It's been a while for me but those are still just more numbers and a bit of math and getting your mind around considering poke bodies.
At least last time I checked there was a metagame for pokemon battling too.

The best setup will forever be buffed magikarp oneshotting an entire team in a row. Countered with a simple quick attack but entertaining as hell.

It's the same this as remembering Dota mechanics.... You scan the PlayDota Advanced Mechanics sections and DevDota forums and learn things most people don't go through the trouble of doing. If you disregard memory and hardwork reading stuff as skill, it doesn't make sense glorifying the knowledge of how Dota mechanics works while completelly disregarding the work it takes to reach a high level of understanding in Pokemon mechanics. It's just something you do because you know one game and not the other.

Most questions people have regarding Dota mechanics could be answered by a quick google search in both sites I mentioned, that doesn't mean that being able to answer them is suddenly not valuable.

While there is something to knowing a lot of stuff, there is arguably less variation in pokemon because any pokemon is limited to 4 attacks and 1 poke ability or whatever it is called.

I dare say Dota is deeper because people actually had to do some research to find some things out(PRD was not public information until people found it through millions of tests).
Pokemon on the other hand is round based with known chances (divisible by 256 and the like) and therefore a limit to ongoing and interacting effects.


I really don't know where you're meant to be going with this line of responses in relation to my original post.

All I was saying was that Yango seems to have knowledge of the Pokémon games that suggests he had invested some amount of time into it, and I was impressed by this considering this is in addition to his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of DotA AND at least some knowledge of LoL, and the fact that he seems to post about all three with some regularity. Most people get involved in one or two of these things and no more.

You seem to be saying that there isn't much to know in Pokémon but you've kind of made it clear you're even less familiar with the games than I am (you barely even knew what an ability is called). Just go look at all the writing done on Smogon and see how wrong you are.


Pokemon probably has more stuff to "know" than either DotA or LoL but the game's quite a bit dumbed down compared to its heyday so that battles play out a lot more predictably


The game has actually gotten more complicated, actually. Just because things are more offensive doesn't mean "more predictably".

Pokemon has more stuff to know but it's a lot more one dimensional and you have all the time in the world to think about it and run calculations and all of that.

The thing every developer should learn (something Wild Games Studio and Microsoft failed to do) is communicate with your fans. When there is something wrong, not saying a word makes people far more upset. Hell, why can we not get the themed map at least? Ok, maybe they just cannot be bothered to tune Diretide for the new heroes. But can we not at least have the Diretide themed map?


Did Valve actually say/hint at Diretide or is it everyone else who were hyping it? I think not saying anything is fine, but I feel like the community has a habit of circling themselves based on hype and expectations that's generated from the community as a whole without Valve having to do anything. It's quite fascinating to watch how all of this happened (ie, speculations from stuff that are in patches and such). I feel like in this case it's nice to clarify things before the community kind of feeds themselves into a frenzy.


I do not feel the same way. Diretide came out last year so there is no real precedent of is occurring annually. But, does it make sense for Valve to not have it again? I mean, CS:GO got somewhat of a theme (they have a ghost chicken) and TF2 has had another event (like every year). The files are still in the game (candies, the rosh, etc.) but Valve decided to not use them.

The game is even considered "released" and somehow it was fine to have it during beta but not now. And like I have mentioned, perhaps they were too busy with other things. Even if that was the case, why not at least activated the Diretide themed map? Valve should have seen some blacklash coming so why the silence? I was giving them the benefit of the doubt by waiting until now and yet nothing.

It's because almost, if not all games out there have something special for holidays, such as Halloween and stuffs. So it's reasonable to expect something. Since Valve didn't say anything, people hope and hype for Diretide. I don't think anybody expect honeymoon was over and Valve didn't give us anything.

It's kind of stupid though. Holidays are always good opportunities to show off stuffs to attract customers and make quick cash. That's like free money. I don't play Dota2 anymore, but if there were Diretide, I would have started to play again with some friends for some good time.
Prev 1 4232 4233 4234 4235 4236 6534 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 1007
910 738
ggaemo 710
actioN 643
Mong 255
Shuttle 113
Dewaltoss 104
Leta 89
yabsab 43
soO 31
[ Show more ]
Hm[arnc] 30
Bale 26
Aegong 17
Noble 14
Dota 2
Fuzer 89
League of Legends
JimRising 549
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss434
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor856
Other Games
summit1g8477
olofmeister770
ceh9556
Happy320
singsing270
Mew2King106
ArmadaUGS44
trigger13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream130
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2324
League of Legends
• Rush1222
• Stunt425
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
5h 9m
OSC
14h 9m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 2h
Online Event
1d 3h
FEL
1d 8h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 9h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 11h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.