• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:32
CEST 12:32
KST 19:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9283 users

The Hardcore Self-Found Challenge

Forum Index > Diablo 3
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-30 02:44:56
October 30 2012 02:39 GMT
#1
Hi!
Since 1.05, the idea of playing through a character with only self-found items, none from AH or donated from other characters, has intrigued me. With drop rates buffed and MP0 viable for self-found characters, I thought it could perhaps be possible to play through the game entirely on self-found characters, and in hardcore for an added challenge.
To add on to this, it might be more fun to do with others! Therefore, I thought I'd share.

RULES AND REQUIREMENTS:
Start a fresh HC level 1 character on the Americas (or EU, if someone else wants to coordinate)
You may ONLY play with items found by THAT CHARACTER, OR items found by others in GAMES THAT YOU WERE PRESENT IN. You may only play with other self-found characters. No gems or anything may be donated from higher level characters. Crafting can be used, but only mats that your character gets through salvaging his own items. Vendors you can make a personal choice on.
Add me on skype: pokebunny with the message "hardcore self-found"
I will then add you to a skype group to coordinate players and share our stories, because there are no chat channels. From here, you can meet up and play with other self-found friends! You don't have to join us on skype, and you can feel free to just do it on your own, but I thought this might be the best way to coordinate.
One question you might have: why coordinate on Skype? Because there are no chat channels and there is a friend list limit, I figured players might not want to add a ton of others just to find friends to play with. Also, more new players could join the challenge, and work with us towards beating inferno! There's no prize for being the first one to do it or anything, just thought it would be fun to have a community effort and try something new. I'll be starting a barb probably, and please feel free to add me on skype, bnet, or just reply here if you'd like to join me!
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-30 02:42:12
October 30 2012 02:40 GMT
#2
(I posted this on reddit yesterday, I am since level 18. But others are just starting now!)
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
marttorn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Norway5211 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-30 03:02:17
October 30 2012 03:02 GMT
#3
I've done things like this before, and experimented with some sillier stuff, such as the recycle run, where you are obliged to equip whatever loot drops, if you can wear it, and when something else drops you put that on. How good or bad the gear is doesn't matter, of course.

I also like to turn on a different language, preferably one with a different alphabet, like korean. So I'm sitting there, on my recycling HC wizard character with korean language pack installed, and I realize I'm bored with the game.

Anyway, good luck to you, this is lots of fun to do!
memes are a dish best served dank
Antimage
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1293 Posts
October 30 2012 03:22 GMT
#4
i'd love to do it if i had more time on my hands =( good luck!
Nightfall.589
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada766 Posts
October 31 2012 03:18 GMT
#5
This has the biggest impact during the end-game - by motivating you to play your character, instead of wasting time bargain sniping at the AH.
Proof by Legislation: An entire body of (sort-of) elected officials is more correct than all of the known laws of physics, math and science as a whole. -Scott McIntyre
Zyrnak
Profile Joined February 2011
United States179 Posts
October 31 2012 03:28 GMT
#6
I'd argue there is one more challenge to self-found that should be added: no powerleveling. Level up your character only with similar leveled characters, killing each boss on each difficulty in sequence.

Sounds fun!
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
October 31 2012 04:14 GMT
#7
On October 31 2012 12:28 Zyrnak wrote:
I'd argue there is one more challenge to self-found that should be added: no powerleveling. Level up your character only with similar leveled characters, killing each boss on each difficulty in sequence.

Sounds fun!

Ah, of course. I left that out, because I just kind of assumed it in my head

Of course, since there probably won't be a ton of people doing it, playing with friends a few levels above or below is inevitable - but as long as it's not unreasonable carrying, it's fine.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Brainiac_Br
Profile Joined December 2011
Brazil14 Posts
October 31 2012 15:23 GMT
#8
I leveled my Monk (ZergOP) this way, all self found (note: his gems was taken to put on the WD), i guess is my most fun to play char, the game is really hard, D3 Hell was like D2 Hell! Damn that illusionist molten extra health Betrayed!

I couldn't even run 1.0.4 Inferno with it, but gonna try one of these days.
=D
nRoot
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany928 Posts
October 31 2012 16:56 GMT
#9
I only play this game self-found (the AH is just plain boring to use)

After my SC monk hit Inferno (my only SC char) I started playing HC exclusively because I saw no point in SC. My first HC Char (a monk too) got to Level 57 (Act II Hell) and died to some waller/arcane enchanted/xxx elite
This was before 1.04 (before 1.03 even I think, when craftin was still expensive) and self-found as well (playing only solo), great fun.

Now I try to get all my HC chars (1 from each class) to level 60 step by step, I still play self-found only but I switch items between my chars so I can keep as many good items as possible

My Monk is Level 56 now, Act II Hell again and just found a Justice Lantern with Dex/Vita :D But I won't use it yet because I feel I might die soon.

anyway, since I play on EU I cannot join you but I'm sure it will be fun for those who do.
HC and self-found make for the best playing experience in this game by far !

GL
Callynn
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands917 Posts
November 02 2012 11:09 GMT
#10
Playing self-found with a friend on MP10 (softcore).

I'm a barb he's a wizard, we're both level 31 now in act 3 normal. The drops are absolutely amazing on mp10. Currently I'm using a 59,6 dps onehanded axe with a shield and he is using a 56,5 dps wand with orb.I deal 490 dmg and he does 780. So far he died five times, I never died.

I strongly recommend this type of play to anyone rerolling or making a new (softcore) character. For hardcore I recommend MP8 if you are wiz, dh or wd. On normal and nightmare MP10 is perfectly doable without AH is what I know from experience, I don't know about Hell and above yet. I imagine I will probably go for the AH once I hit Inferno, though.
Comparing BW with SCII is like comparing a beautiful three-master sailing ship with a modern battlecruiser. Both are beautiful in their own way, both perform the same task, but they are worlds apart in how they are built and how they are steered.
riotjune
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States3394 Posts
November 02 2012 17:04 GMT
#11
for hc i recommend mp0
Cephiro
Profile Joined May 2011
Finland1934 Posts
November 03 2012 18:04 GMT
#12
I've played this style on hardcore since the start, and I finally hit L60 today. (Hell A3, only Azmodan not killed.)

I don't get to play very much as I'm currently serving in the army, but I'm progressing slowly. I can currently tank pretty much anything Hell can throw at me, but my dps is horrible. Trying to farm for upgrades with valor stacks until I move to A4.

Link: HC Demon Hunter (Note: This is not always up to date due to Bnet issues with updating the profile.)
Gortakom
Profile Joined August 2011
United States17 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-14 20:35:56
November 14 2012 04:23 GMT
#13
Will be streaming my HC self-found start tomorrow around 12:00 PM EST @ http://www.twitch.tv/Gortakom

Not only will it be self-found but it'll be my first WD beyond level 5 (hopefully)

Feel free to come hangout and probably watch me die


Edit: Currently lvl 15, just killed the Butcher
Douillos
Profile Joined May 2010
France3195 Posts
November 16 2012 07:10 GMT
#14
Hi all,

Will be joining the self found movement in 2-3 weeks (as i just lost my DH with all of my money invested, I really need a break from this game).
I m going to start a Monk on the Euro server and will try to play in a civilized way

Anybody up for it?
Look a giraffe! Look a fist!!
Ticcie
Profile Joined June 2010
Netherlands43 Posts
November 16 2012 08:23 GMT
#15
Great initiative!

I have recently started a new character on MP10, not using things in my stash, AH, vendors, or crafting... so paying the iron price for everything, essentially. It makes the game so much more challenging. And a real eye opener concerning how long you have to make do with white items
More lurking more better
mythandier
Profile Joined January 2011
United States828 Posts
November 16 2012 15:48 GMT
#16
I always play this way

Then again I'm pretty old school.

It's definitely the most rewarding way to play.
Derrida
Profile Joined March 2011
2885 Posts
November 16 2012 16:18 GMT
#17
Hah, I've just started my first HC character on EU today, don't have any high level characters and/or gold-items. This is a blast so far. Had a large grin when I saw this thread as I just hit level 10. HC is such a fresh challenge after speed farming a3 mp0 for the past month or so.
#1 Grubby Fan.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
November 16 2012 16:24 GMT
#18
Glad to see a lot of people enjoying this!
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
riotjune
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States3394 Posts
November 16 2012 17:28 GMT
#19
It's only fun until you die. And then you'll keep coming back heh
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-16 17:34:48
November 16 2012 17:34 GMT
#20
i have a lvl12(?) barb i think. gonna play it a little. probably will die in act 2 and never touch it again. :D
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM481
IndyStarCraft 97
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 481
Lowko277
IndyStarCraft 97
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 4442
Stork 2592
Horang2 500
Soulkey 385
Jaedong 370
Larva 274
Soma 254
Zeus 242
Mini 234
BeSt 229
[ Show more ]
sorry 105
Mind 85
Pusan 74
Last 72
ZerO 66
Hyun 63
Sexy 40
Shinee 36
soO 34
scan(afreeca) 25
ajuk12(nOOB) 18
Sacsri 10
zelot 10
Dota 2
XcaliburYe313
canceldota55
Gorgc3
League of Legends
JimRising 440
Counter-Strike
byalli296
Other Games
gofns34933
singsing2057
Coldzera 696
Happy373
Pyrionflax208
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV204
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 35
• StrangeGG 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV299
• lizZardDota2224
League of Legends
• Jankos3698
Upcoming Events
Online Event
1h 28m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 28m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 28m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 28m
Patches Events
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.