• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:33
CEST 23:33
KST 06:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10323 users

TL Chess (960) - Forum Simul by Ng5

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-28 18:01:24
January 21 2012 05:36 GMT
#1
Currently running games.

Calgar - Ng5 - Still running.

Crafty - Ng5 - Still running.

Liberal - Ng5 - Still running.

Speedbump - Ng5 - Still running.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-28 17:38:00
January 21 2012 05:40 GMT
#2
Roster (alphabetic)


4

calgar
Crafty
liberal
Speedbump
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-28 17:34:47
January 21 2012 05:40 GMT
#3
The OP.

Date

02:00 KST, 29th January, Monday.
18:00 CET, 28th January, Monday.
11:00 EST, 28th January, Monday.


As can be seen here I am starting up another TL Community Chess match - this time with 960 (Fischer) Random chess. The rules of this variant can be found here. Since the starting position can be (and in our case is) very different from that of usual chess I will be giving more time to discuss the first move that's happening. Namely I plan it to be a whole week.

To kick that first move off in style I would like to hold a TL 960 Random Chess Simultaneous event. It practically means that I would be playing against many people at once. Last time I tried one such it was organized through ICC, but I think this time around - since the majority of people interested in chess are more casual - we could just organize it all the way through TL.

In a normal simul, they set up consecutive chess tables and the giver should go round and round and move in a particular games when they physically get there. Usually the participants are required to make their moves when the giver gets to their table - they can sometimes ask for another 'round' of time, though. Here on TL I would like to create a separate forum thread for each game where we would post moves back and forth with my actual opponent. I would use this main thread to keep track of participants and update the scores in real time as a game ends.

Enforcing moves when I next get to a particular game seems kind of moot, and the other technicality is posting a picture of the game itself after every move. While it would not be a problem with normal chess it might be for random, since the starting positions can be so different. After randomly generating a starting position for every person (thus not everyone would have the same setup) I would post my moves every reply, and after every tenth move (or maybe less when there are less games left) I would post a picture of how the actual position looks like. To still make things trackable I will post the so-called FEN with all of my moves. FEN is a short 'code' that contains all the information of the pieces on the board. You can load it up to different sites, I will post a link to a convenient one in a couple of days. This way we can both keep track of the games and I still don't need to spend minutes on creating separate screenshots. (Just imagine if it takes but two minute per shot/uploading with 15 people participating and an average of 40 moves made each game - it's already 20 extra hours spent on nothing else but making screenshots.)

Given that I will have to upload the FENs, myself it will take some time, but I will try to hurry. Be ready though for this event to take several hours. I would say at least 3-4 is a minimum, no matter the speed. Please be mindful of that when you sign up.

I think it all would make for a good start to the Community Match. It will give you a taste of what this chess variant looks like with one extra day to spend on thinking about your next move afterwards.

Once the event starts this OP will only contain links to the particular threads of running games and the updated result. I will reserve the first reply post for the roster and the second one to move this OP to, once the event is underway.

Please post or PM your intent of participation, here or in a PM. Spread the word, get your friends to join up, should you be interested. There's no such thing as too many participants!

Cheers,
me

PS: I will probably also keep bumping a thread these upcoming days probably. Just to keep it in eye.

PS II: It will really happen this time.
liberal
Profile Joined November 2011
1116 Posts
January 21 2012 20:36 GMT
#4
Sign me up
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 24 2012 00:52 GMT
#5
Bump. C'mon. I'll play with only one person, too but I can't believe there's no more.
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
January 25 2012 02:36 GMT
#6
The 28th is Saturday right? I'd play 2, one for me, one for crafty out of curiosity
Speedbump
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
New Zealand338 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-25 06:02:23
January 25 2012 05:59 GMT
#7
I'll give it a go, even though my chess skills are nothing to write home about.

I might need to wait a little bit on day 1, so I can wake up after getting home from work. (Probably 10am NZST/6am KST)
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 27 2012 22:59 GMT
#8
I will send out some PMs in a while for the people who signed up.

Gonna go cook some and will do it right after.

Feel free to sign up till the last second tomorrow. This is all for good fun and the more the better.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 28 2012 17:25 GMT
#9
Here's a short advice if you are looking for an interface to check the position on.

There are so-called endgame tablebases on the internet. They tell you the outcome of a game if it reaches less than seven pieces. But what's good about them is the chessboard is completely controllable there. Here's the one I use:

Stuff.

I will make my screenshots from there as well. There's the input FEN function on the lower right. I will post that "FEN" at the start of the game. All you need is copying and pasting it over and ta-da! Once you set the little icon to 'move pieces' (right right to the white pawn icon) you can move your pieces around. It has a grid so you can easily just post your notation of your move. If you are not that familiar with chess notations just say the starting and finishing square and I'll be fine.

I'll have a separate browser window of that board for every game running, so the screenshots should go fast. The only tricky thing is castling in which case you will have to beware you move the pieces around the correct way. Shouldn't really be a problem.

I will generate the positions with ChessBase, and that will give you a nicer picture for the first move. Also I will create the threads right on time and post the link to them in the OP. (Hopefully - it looks good so far.)
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 28 2012 18:01 GMT
#10
Let's start.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 28 2012 18:08 GMT
#11
Or something.
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
January 28 2012 18:21 GMT
#12
dat quadruple post
133 221 333 123 111
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 28 2012 18:23 GMT
#13
Haha. Needed to start 20 minutes early because I was sure I would have been blocked for spam.

If there was like 20 participants I would have had to wake 4 hours early I guess. :D
chesshaha
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1117 Posts
January 28 2012 20:15 GMT
#14
Sign me up, lol. I'll probably lose though.
"Hopefully you're not the real TLO so it's not casted" - SpecialK
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
January 28 2012 20:17 GMT
#15
Put the games in spoilers in this thread. Having one thread per game is unacceptable.
Moderator
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
January 28 2012 20:20 GMT
#16
Forget it.

Or my future events and streaming. Planned this for more than a week. Messaged more than half a dozen admins on IRC, talked with two staff members in PMs, the main thread was up for a week explaining what's up.

Not giving a shit for more than a week when I tried everything I could to ask you even asking if we could or should make it private to avoid spamming. Now that's unacceptable.

Yes. Your site. And my chess.

Bye.
EleanorRIgby
Profile Joined March 2008
Canada3923 Posts
January 28 2012 20:23 GMT
#17
its not like the sports and games sections is over crowded lol
savior did nothing wrong
liberal
Profile Joined November 2011
1116 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-28 20:35:39
January 28 2012 20:35 GMT
#18


Hopefully this gets worked out.
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
January 28 2012 20:41 GMT
#19
I am filled with sorrow :/ Really looked forward to watching these unfold.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
January 28 2012 20:47 GMT
#20
Just move the individual game threads to blog posts, that way they don't "overcrowd" the sports and games thread (and blogs can't be bumped in the main listing).
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason58
SpeCial 54
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 608
firebathero 80
Zeus 66
910 28
Dota 2
monkeys_forever412
League of Legends
JimRising 173
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS115
PPMD10
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5399
Liquid`Hasu1859
Other Games
summit1g7034
shahzam470
byalli378
C9.Mang0187
UpATreeSC73
Trikslyr40
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV204
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream132
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 86
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 49
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 28m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 28m
Stellar Fest
15h 28m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.