• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:07
CEST 20:07
KST 03:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8756 users

How to Train and Increase APM

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Optimate
Profile Joined August 2020
251 Posts
August 27 2021 22:44 GMT
#1
How do I increase APM. I have had a solid 180 APM the last 10 years. I see Protoss players like Movie who had 400 APM. What mechanics can I work on to increase my keyboard speed? And is there ever anytime a Protoss would need to put his right hand on the keyboard to have both hands on keyboard at the same time? Thanks. I use control groups for unit movements and hotkeys for faster spell casting. What else can I use keyboard with to improve my APM without spam?
Highgamer
Profile Joined October 2015
1473 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-08-27 23:42:27
August 27 2021 23:33 GMT
#2
Some ideas:

I assume you use hotkeys any time you can (abilities, building/unit production, starting upgrades).

What is your ctrl-group-setup in mid-/early-/lategame? Do you use all the numbers from 1 to 0?

Do you try to build units only with keyboard for as long as possible? (By using ctrl-groups for your gateways/production buildings for as long as possible, until you have too many to assign numbers to them all)

Do you know how to set up your F2-F4 keys to save screen-locations? Do you use it?

Do you know how to use shift to add/remove units to/from your current selection or your control-groups?
Do you know that you can add your current unit-selection to an existing control group by pressing shift+number of the group?

Do you know about ctrl+click to select up to 12 units of the same type on your screen?

Also: Always work on clicking/boxing very precisely rather than hastily so that you don't have to repeat the same move twice/multiple times. And don't give the same command multiple times out of bad habit when "you have nothing else to do". Otherwise you lose a lot of time and opportunity for multitasking without noticing.
Optimate
Profile Joined August 2020
251 Posts
August 28 2021 00:11 GMT
#3
I have pretty bad hotkeys. I put Nexus as 1. Then usually early game I hotkey my gateways 2-6. Midgame I just have my nexuses hotkeyed and use the other hotkeys for numbers. I don't use hotkeys for spells but will train doing so. I liked your tip of using shift+number of the group. And control click up to 12 units is nice tip too.
Highgamer
Profile Joined October 2015
1473 Posts
August 28 2021 01:52 GMT
#4
Maybe some good Protoss can drop in here and give you a good ctrl-group setup as orientation.

I'd advise you to practice your mechanics in the singleplayer, free of any concern about what your enemy is plotting. Focus on one thing/problem at a time, not everything at once.

It's all about consistency, repeating the right way to do it over and over, drilling it into your brain/hands, not accepting when you fall back into a bad habit.
The good thing is: Even if the stuff can seem bothersome or complex at first, when you're over the hill, it will make playing the game much easier. Our brains are good at doing stuff like that, taking repetitive tasks of our mind.
zimp
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Hungary959 Posts
August 28 2021 09:21 GMT
#5
It's funny that you picked Movie, because he is one of the slowest pros, he only has ~200 apm. Most pro players have 220-350. Very few pro players have 400 apm consistently. If you are effective, you can be gosu with 170 apm. A lot of the apm of pro players is just spam in order to keep them quick. So spam is not necessarily wrong.
I think another part of high apm can come from knowing your build very well, this way you don't have to think a lot what to do at home, and you can continuosly scout or micro, while macroing too. That is effective because you are constantly doing two-three things at once, which will yield more actions.

A good hotkey setup can help you with that.
I recommend changing your hotkey setup, because the current one (1-6 buildings) seems bad, it doesn't allow you to effectively macro and micro using hotkeys at the same time (unless you hotkey your uniits to 7-0, which a few players do actually).
For example, Nexus 4, GWs 5-0, Units 1-4 (if you have more than 4 ctrl of units, you overwrite the gws). This way you can macro and micro at the same time effectively. The other two nexai, you use F2-3-4 screens. You buy everything from hotkeys, and only go home to build buildings quickly and send the workers. You can even hotkey tech buildings to 7-8-9 etc. to start researches.
[image loading]

Some players do 2 handed macroing from hotkeys, but i don't think it's necessary. You can just press the numbers with your left hand and click the unit buttons with your mouse, or with another finger on the left hand the hotkey.

If you really want to increase your APM, you could set that automatic sound that notifies you to increase your apm, although it can be quite annoying sometimes. Having good mouse precision is also a must to achieve high effective apm.
agentzimp
TL+ Member
NotJumperer
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States1371 Posts
August 28 2021 11:10 GMT
#6
--- Nuked ---
Counc1l
Profile Joined April 2019
33 Posts
August 28 2021 13:38 GMT
#7
You never need to have both hands on the keyboard
GeckoXp
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Germany2016 Posts
August 28 2021 15:34 GMT
#8
On August 28 2021 09:11 Optimate wrote:
I have pretty bad hotkeys.


Don't get it the wrong way around, e.g. training "hot key setups only". Know what you want to do first, then try to make it happen with a system that suits you best. There's no correct way, only what works for you. Get a routine into your game, e.g.:

Step 1: select your army. Is it in danger? Is it going to be attacked?
Step 1.1: If it is in danger: attack if you can win
Step 1.2: If it is in danger: retreat if you can't win
Step 2: Take a look at your supply limit
Step 2.1: Enough supply for units? Yes -> move on to step 3
Step 2.2: If no (that kicks in if you're close „0<x<5 supply points“ ): build depots/overlords/pylons
Step 3: Build workers in all your nexus / command centers (Zerg should think more about it, since they have a difficult larvae system)
Step 3.1: Send trained workers to mine
Step 4: Train units
Step 4.1: Send your reinforcements to your main army / group them onto hotkeys
Step 5: Take a look at the minerals: how much do you have? Decent amount: -> Repeat Step 1-5
Step 5.1: It rises although you trained units. Expand if you're in advantage or if the game is about to be a draw
Step 5.2: If you're not in an advantage, or if your opponent could prevent you from expanding: build more production facilities / build tech buildings
Step 6: repeat Step 1 – Step 6


Once you have that down, try to make it happen as fast as possible without forgetting a step. This way you won't learn how to spam and/or try to remember controls in real game instead of the appropriate actions you should perform. Huge difference and speeds up the process.

See also: https://tl.net/forum/bw-strategy/104910-mechanics-of-starcraft
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
August 28 2021 15:36 GMT
#9
Well Protoss is arguably the least intensive apm race to play (insert 1a2a3a joke here)
Switching to late game Zerg, or Terran bio, will certainly increase your apm, because you will have to do more actions more control more macro more drag and click thingies
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
Piste
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
6183 Posts
August 29 2021 08:09 GMT
#10
Doesn't Movie have like 200 apm?
prosatan
Profile Joined September 2009
Romania9381 Posts
August 29 2021 10:40 GMT
#11
Movie has low apm, just like Stork!
Pro protoss players with high apm are Mini, Bisu and Rain (even if the last two play very little or even don't play)

My setup is: Nexus on 0,9,8 to press fast 0p9p8p for probes

Gates on 3,4,5 and after a while on 5 and 6 (and F3 key also on them)

Army on 1,2,3,4

My scouting probe on 1 and 2

F2 for my main, F3 for the screen where my gateways are , when there are more and more (like in middle-late game), and F4 for my natural. But, in late game, when my nat is saturated i put F4 on the location where my army gathers (where the rally point of the gateways is).

Hope it helps
Lee JaeDong Fighting! The only church that illuminates is the one that burns.
ZakRoM
Profile Joined December 2018
Costa Rica54 Posts
August 29 2021 12:35 GMT
#12
[Eng sub] [Khala] My hotkey settings (Control groups, F2, F3 and F4)
ajmbek
Profile Joined November 2008
Italy460 Posts
August 30 2021 15:41 GMT
#13
What is your mmr?
Sic iter ad astra
LML
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Germany1794 Posts
September 01 2021 14:49 GMT
#14
Just a tip: be happy with a lower APM. More clicks = more strain on your body (hands, wrists). And the chances of problems becomes more likely.
If your current APM helps with achieving what you want, then be happy. There are S rank players with less APM than you. Chances are, your APM is not what is holding you back.
Maybe you are rather looking to use more efficient hotkeys? Changing control groups and using more convenient custom hotkeys can help a lot with that.
LML
iNstiN
Profile Joined March 2012
16 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-09-02 16:17:35
September 02 2021 16:15 GMT
#15
I keep seeing that people think the higher APM you have the better you are and that's completely wrong i can spam the shit out of games and still not have eAPM = Effective APM which is the more important thing to focus on.

Some people likes to spam and just in general have higher apm, and some people has lower and doesn't spam as much it's up to everyone. I can sit on 300 apm any race doesn't mean anything just sayin

So don't worry about APM and just focus on ur game instead


https://www.twitch.tv/instin111, literally a wax on wax off diff.
Optimate
Profile Joined August 2020
251 Posts
September 02 2021 16:21 GMT
#16
On September 03 2021 01:15 iNstiN wrote:
I keep seeing that people think the higher APM you have the better you are and that's completely wrong i can spam the shit out of games and still not have eAPM = Effective APM which is the more important thing to focus on.

Some people likes to spam and just in general have higher apm, and some people has lower and doesn't spam as much it's up to everyone. I can sit on 300 apm any race doesn't mean anything just sayin

So don't worry about APM and just focus on ur game instead


Not true at all. Main post was more about how I can more efficient than I already am.
TMNT
Profile Joined January 2021
3378 Posts
September 02 2021 16:30 GMT
#17
On August 28 2021 07:44 Optimate wrote:
How do I increase APM. I have had a solid 180 APM the last 10 years. I see Protoss players like Movie who had 400 APM. What mechanics can I work on to increase my keyboard speed? And is there ever anytime a Protoss would need to put his right hand on the keyboard to have both hands on keyboard at the same time? Thanks. I use control groups for unit movements and hotkeys for faster spell casting. What else can I use keyboard with to improve my APM without spam?

Dont think anyone ever put both hands on the keyboard to be more efficient.
Instead, if your mouse has extra buttons, you can assign some keys on your keyboard to your mouse, like the number 9 and 0. I find this really convenient because I dont want to stretch my left hand too far.
iNstiN
Profile Joined March 2012
16 Posts
September 02 2021 16:36 GMT
#18
On September 03 2021 01:21 Optimate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2021 01:15 iNstiN wrote:
I keep seeing that people think the higher APM you have the better you are and that's completely wrong i can spam the shit out of games and still not have eAPM = Effective APM which is the more important thing to focus on.

Some people likes to spam and just in general have higher apm, and some people has lower and doesn't spam as much it's up to everyone. I can sit on 300 apm any race doesn't mean anything just sayin

So don't worry about APM and just focus on ur game instead


Not true at all. Main post was more about how I can more efficient than I already am.


I told you to focus more on eAPM rather than APM.
https://www.twitch.tv/instin111, literally a wax on wax off diff.
Optimate
Profile Joined August 2020
251 Posts
September 02 2021 21:46 GMT
#19
I don’t spam at all. I’m not a player who has 400 apm with 4 scvs at the start.
JoinTheRain
Profile Blog Joined September 2018
Bulgaria409 Posts
September 05 2021 05:40 GMT
#20
I play P, now I suck donkey dick and can barely play. I float around 1650 - 1700 mmr, but I used to be able to play around 1950 - 2000 few years ago. My problem has always been that I know what's the correct play yet with too limited practice time I could not improve mechanically and be able to squeeze more useful actions into less time, so I thought how to do that. Tweaking hotkeys in remastered helped me tremendously. I put nexuses on 6, 7 and 8, I remap probes on Y, I put pylon on b. Gateways and Stargate I kept the keys, they aren't annoying. I also changed all abilities of casting units. For hts - I put storm on q, Arbiter Stasis is q and recall is w. Then I turned to the number keys, I use 2 for scouting probe and 1 for initial army, 4 and 5 are gates, I'm old and slow now, I can't use more. Mid and late game I use 123 for army, I keep 4 and 5 for gates, 678 for nexuses. All in all, I tried to use the left and mid side of the keyboard, right side is a no-go cause I'm not agile.
Obviously I don't hotkey observers and I am severely limited late game when I've got arbiters, but that's the extend of what I can do.
The subject-matter of the art of living is each person's own life.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 243
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 243
BRAT_OK 63
MindelVK 19
JuggernautJason3
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25774
Mini 421
Hyuk 209
firebathero 182
ggaemo 138
Mong 45
Hyun 36
Dewaltoss 33
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 11
Dota 2
Gorgc10422
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1401
crisheroes1131
Liquid`Hasu867
Other Games
Grubby2847
FrodaN2292
fl0m1063
Beastyqt869
KnowMe174
mouzStarbuck160
Livibee155
ArmadaUGS121
Mew2King59
Trikslyr47
ToD32
Chillindude24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1086
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 88
• StrangeGG 50
• Adnapsc2 18
• LUISG 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8167
• WagamamaTV227
Other Games
• imaqtpie725
• Shiphtur295
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 53m
INu's Battles
17h 53m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
20h 53m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.