• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:55
CEST 06:55
KST 13:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9985 users

BW Beginner Portal [LP]

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Normal
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
March 06 2013 17:46 GMT
#1

[image loading]



[image loading]



[image loading]



[image loading]



[image loading]



[image loading]
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
Epoxide
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Magic Woods9326 Posts
March 06 2013 17:50 GMT
#2
I can't get over the fact how good the bakuryu hydra is

Thanks for the guide!~
LiquipediaSouma: EU MM is just Russian Roulette. Literally.
meowmasta85
Profile Joined January 2013
721 Posts
March 06 2013 17:56 GMT
#3
This is a great minefield of information for the budding gosu bwer. Thanks for doing this!
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
March 06 2013 18:02 GMT
#4
Cool portal, great contribution !

Silly question as it seems quite obvious, but is this account an alt account of Gecko[xp] ?
ॐ
2Pacalypse-
Profile Joined October 2006
Croatia9558 Posts
March 06 2013 18:12 GMT
#5
sick sick sick guide!

On March 07 2013 03:02 endy wrote:
Cool portal, great contribution !

Silly question as it seems quite obvious, but is this account an alt account of Gecko[xp] ?

Nope, he changed his name from Gecko[Xp] to GeckoVOD.
Moderator"We're a community of geniuses because we've found how to extract 95% of the feeling of doing something amazing without actually doing anything." - Chill
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
March 06 2013 18:16 GMT
#6
On March 07 2013 03:02 endy wrote:
Cool portal, great contribution !

Silly question as it seems quite obvious, but is this account an alt account of Gecko[xp] ?


He is my evil clone, who wants to destroy the world and replace all that is good and holy with Garena and destructible rocks. No relation to me.

Also, if there are spelling errors, typos, or whatever, or if you disagree with parts of the portal, it's on the Wiki. That means you can contribute.
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
thezanursic
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
5504 Posts
March 06 2013 18:22 GMT
#7
I think these things are way to basic. It's a good intiative, but most of the "beginners" are already SC2 players and they already understand most of these basic things. When I read the thread name I assumed that drilling, muta micro, vulture micro, efficient ways of rerallying and keeping up with production, unit compositions, etc, etc.

While SC2 isn't the hardest of games it still has some depth and almost any player knows everything from the mechanics and strategy section that was displayed above. I think it's a good idea and the server listings, gateways and other non-ingame things are pretty useful for somebody that doesn't know how to even start playing.

Ohh and I never knew that you can rally your buildings with F, I never knew that although it's kkind of useless
http://i45.tinypic.com/9j2cdc.jpg Let it be so!
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
March 06 2013 18:26 GMT
#8
This is awesome. I will read even with my experience. Always something to be gained.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
March 06 2013 18:32 GMT
#9
On March 07 2013 03:22 thezanursic wrote:
I think these things are way to basic. It's a good intiative, but most of the "beginners" are already SC2 players and they already understand most of these basic things. When I read the thread name I assumed that drilling, muta micro, vulture micro, efficient ways of rerallying and keeping up with production, unit compositions, etc, etc.

While SC2 isn't the hardest of games it still has some depth and almost any player knows everything from the mechanics and strategy section that was displayed above. I think it's a good idea and the server listings, gateways and other non-ingame things are pretty useful for somebody that doesn't know how to even start playing.

Ohh and I never knew that you can rally your buildings with F, I never knew that although it's kkind of useless


The thing is, you never know. Way before I started to actively post at this page, I used to be a staff member at broodwar.de. We had some sort of beginner's help with an own server. You'd be surprised of how little some people knew when they first registered and tried to learn BW. So you can never be "too basic" with helps. A lot of the things that are summarized in this portal are nowhere else on Liquipedia, or at least very hard to find. The idea is to give a total rookie a glimpse and link him to the stuff you mentioned; which is already there.

I started that a year ago and a lot of people had a look over it, like Pholon, Bakuryu, 2pac, Epoxide, Tank and pPingu. However, I didn't publish it, never, because I kind of lost the interest and was caught up. The only reason I posted that now is that 2pac had a similar idea and pretty much made me post it. I hope it helps somebody someday, even though I can see your point here and I admit I had similar feelings.
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
2Pacalypse-
Profile Joined October 2006
Croatia9558 Posts
March 06 2013 18:41 GMT
#10
Yeah, this is meant for absolute beginners and it's quite sad that this kind of info wasn't available anywhere before, even though it might seem like common knowledge to you.

And besides, since this is on Liquipedia anyone can start improving it and expanding it to maybe add more intermediate stuff about BW.
Moderator"We're a community of geniuses because we've found how to extract 95% of the feeling of doing something amazing without actually doing anything." - Chill
TheEmulator
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
28103 Posts
March 06 2013 18:49 GMT
#11
wow, this is great, thx Gecko
Administrator
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
March 06 2013 19:16 GMT
#12
I like the Sir worm, all the other images are realy cute too
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
March 06 2013 19:23 GMT
#13
It's a hydralisk
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10861 Posts
March 06 2013 19:41 GMT
#14
Good job, thanks alot for this, I think this should be spotlighted because it is a very good guide for someone who is just coming to BW from SC2, and has never played BW, which is a lot of people.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
thezanursic
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
5504 Posts
March 06 2013 19:52 GMT
#15
On March 07 2013 03:41 2Pacalypse- wrote:
Yeah, this is meant for absolute beginners and it's quite sad that this kind of info wasn't available anywhere before, even though it might seem like common knowledge to you.

And besides, since this is on Liquipedia anyone can start improving it and expanding it to maybe add more intermediate stuff about BW.

After I started the playing Bw the first problem that arose was getting my SCV out of my mineral line without bumping into others for an hour, but since I knew you could drill I quickly came to the logical conclusion that I should drill through to the gas to efficiently leave the mineral line without having to wait for the top or bottom SCV to stop mining.

These were the kinds of things that I personally struggled with properly microing my vultures and such would also have been a problem if I didn't know of liquipedia. In my opinion these are the kind of things that should be added to the ressource. If I didn't play SC2 beforehand and I didn't know that you could save screens I wouldn't save screen m production to quickly rerally and even a lot of the SC2 playerbase doesn't know that you can do this.

Personally I think that a video guide showing click by click how these things are done would be a lot of help for somebody new to BW and especially somebody who hasn't played SC2 before trying BW. I actually thought about recording these things myself, but I feel to intimidated to actually try and make something usefull not subpar content that is so often found on yt.
http://i45.tinypic.com/9j2cdc.jpg Let it be so!
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
March 06 2013 20:54 GMT
#16
wow this is really great

The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
Stratos
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Czech Republic6104 Posts
March 06 2013 21:27 GMT
#17
Sweet. Let's all bookmark this and remember to link the newbies. GJ Gecko!
En Taro Violet
dRaW
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada5744 Posts
March 06 2013 21:47 GMT
#18
gecko really appreciate it, but why didn't you do my chemistry homework?
I don't need luck, luck is for noobs, good luck to you though
hydrogg
Profile Joined September 2011
United States377 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-06 22:55:52
March 06 2013 22:55 GMT
#19
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Portal:Beginners/Gateways#PVPGN_Realms

"The currently biggest portals using this system are ICCup, the Korean FISH Server and the Chinese VS platform."

Isn't VS platform Simulated LAN and not a PVPGN Realm? Or am I wrong?
amatoer
Profile Joined January 2008
Germany212 Posts
March 06 2013 23:36 GMT
#20
the concept looks familiar...
I'm a little surprised that I never heard of the hidden replay commands before. And they work without any additional tool? Were they implemented with some patch or have they been there since the beginning of time?
Sinedd
Profile Joined July 2008
Poland7052 Posts
March 06 2013 23:41 GMT
#21
this is really cool

I hope that more people are going to join the BW bandwagon !!!

go go go !
T H C makes ppl happy
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
March 07 2013 03:01 GMT
#22
On March 07 2013 07:55 hydrogg wrote:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Portal:Beginners/Gateways#PVPGN_Realms

"The currently biggest portals using this system are ICCup, the Korean FISH Server and the Chinese VS platform."

Isn't VS platform Simulated LAN and not a PVPGN Realm? Or am I wrong?


You are correct, VS平台 is simulated LAN.
ॐ
fusefuse
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Estonia4644 Posts
March 07 2013 07:36 GMT
#23
stellar graphics : D!
looks like you dont need me anymore ;_;
Liquipedia@jkursk
Capresis
Profile Joined September 2008
United States518 Posts
March 07 2013 09:46 GMT
#24
On March 07 2013 08:36 amatoer wrote:
the concept looks familiar...
I'm a little surprised that I never heard of the hidden replay commands before. And they work without any additional tool? Were they implemented with some patch or have they been there since the beginning of time?

Wow wtf? This is a surprise to me too! How many replays have I watched, and not been aware of this? After testing it though it's doesn't seem very useful =P
achristes
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Norway653 Posts
March 07 2013 10:12 GMT
#25
Is that...comic sans?
youtube.com/spooderm4n | twitch.tv/spooderm4n | Random videos and games I feel like uploading
Gendo
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom216 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-14 14:10:34
March 09 2013 08:01 GMT
#26
Sinedd
Profile Joined July 2008
Poland7052 Posts
March 09 2013 11:45 GMT
#27
On March 07 2013 12:01 endy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2013 07:55 hydrogg wrote:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Portal:Beginners/Gateways#PVPGN_Realms

"The currently biggest portals using this system are ICCup, the Korean FISH Server and the Chinese VS platform."

Isn't VS platform Simulated LAN and not a PVPGN Realm? Or am I wrong?


You are correct, VS平台 is simulated LAN.

would be awesome to implement this thing into ICCup.. or at least deal with that terrible port forwarding issue

that would help BW soooo much
T H C makes ppl happy
Crunchums
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States11144 Posts
March 13 2013 02:25 GMT
#28
sticky?
brood war for life, brood war forever
Gendo
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom216 Posts
March 14 2013 07:48 GMT
#29
Good job! could anyone suggest a build for each matchup to practice TvX, searched the Builds section but there are too many and wouldn't know exactly what they do
Something relatively safe but not cheese!
2Pacalypse-
Profile Joined October 2006
Croatia9558 Posts
March 14 2013 10:14 GMT
#30
On March 13 2013 11:25 Crunchums wrote:
sticky?

It's stickied on the front page of Liquipedia ^^
Moderator"We're a community of geniuses because we've found how to extract 95% of the feeling of doing something amazing without actually doing anything." - Chill
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings130
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 187
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 207
hero 166
sorry 42
Mind 27
Bale 18
Terrorterran 18
ZergMaN 8
Icarus 6
Noble 4
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1035
League of Legends
JimRising 711
Counter-Strike
taco 429
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King144
Other Games
summit1g10632
Maynarde193
RuFF_SC2131
ArmadaUGS50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick479
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH321
• Hupsaiya 124
• practicex 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2104
League of Legends
• Rush1346
• Stunt313
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 5m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
6h 5m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 5m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.