My goal of course, is to change that paradigm and experience some success in bettering myself. I'm not unhappy with who I am, but like anyone I have plenty of things needing improvement,
That said, here are my "resolutions" for 2013. The things I've thought about and decided I want to learn, change, or improve.
- Eating Habits - I eat lots of healthy food, enjoy it, and would have a nice balanced diet IF not for the fact that I just plain love to eat. Which generally means lots of junk food as well, not to mention some binge eating. Not super healthy overall.
The gameplan here, and this one will be exceptionally difficult: is to try and change my mindset away from "I eat foo to enjoy it" to "I eat food to fufill my nutritional needs". This doesn't mean I going to stop trying to enjoy foods, or cut out every single piece of food I enjoy; though what it does mean is that I'm going to try and get myself to ask "Why am I eating this" before I eat anything, and if the answer is because it will be tasty, or because I'm bored, etc. I won't eat it.
- Running - I'm currently out with a groin injury at the moment, but the goals for 2013 are to run my first marathon (hopefully sub 2:50), sub 17 5k, and sub 7:30 1.5 mile (AF Military Fitness Test), sub 58s 400m.
This is more straightforward: get out and run. Marathon training will be from whenever I'm healed till the intended race in mid-May. If I don't recover from the injury within a month or so, I would probably scrap the marathon and run the half instead. During the summer I want to work alot on my raw speed and mechanics, then lead into 5k training in the fall, with the goal of 16:xx.
- Starcraft - Goal here is to achieve C+ rank by the end of the year.
Just need to play more, without going overboard. If I can do 5-10 games a day throughout the week and 10-15 on the weekend I imagine I can improve significantly, especially if I keep the practice very focused and avoid "zombie playing".
- Social Life - I don't lack terribly in social skills or anything, but I would like to get out more. I enjoy going out but I've used money, travel, logistics as an excuse for not going out often for far to long. Time to stop with that.
- ]Priorities - I have a very strong tendency to do the things I want to do (i.e. hang out with friends, play SC, run, etc.) before the things that really are more important such as school, work, etc. That needs to stop
This has two sub goals along with it, which are to pull off a straight A semester, and to find a respectable job in an area of interest to me before I likely enter the military sometime in June/July.
Plan of attack here, at least at first, is to have a general outline of what needs to be accomplished each day and take care of the key items first. It's a matter of self discipline and focus, but I expect this one to be difficult too as I'm very used to giving into the fun things that are instant gratification.
- Singing - I'm somewhere between terrible and not good. Always wanted to change it as the human voice is by far my favorite instrument. Won't be able to get started on this for a while until I have money, but it's on my list of things to start working on in 2013.
So given the way I started, you're quite possibly asking....so what makes this situation/L_Master any different than exactly what I talked about at the beginning of my blog.
Possibly nothing. I may try and fail miserably, however even if that were to occur I think I can learn somethings about myself to help me in the future. However, in an effort to motivate me and keep these goals more in the fore-front of my mind, I plan on updating this weekly with progress and recaps of how I am doing.
Change. Most people believe it's very difficult or impossible to achieve. Time to put myself to the test.