• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:39
CEST 17:39
KST 00:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7732 users

Viva La Vida

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
April 15 2009 21:30 GMT
#1
I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
Once you go there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world





Could someone explain to me what these lyrics mean? I have tried to study them and I just don't understand what he's trying to say.
Are these metaphors? Are they referring to his life?
If someone could clarify this, I would appreciate it
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
April 15 2009 21:33 GMT
#2
somehow this reminds me of a homework thread
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
MarklarMarklar
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Fiji1823 Posts
April 15 2009 21:35 GMT
#3
pretty sentences, lyrical roleplaying maybe

this is typical and that has little meaning, theres no real depth behind it. youll have to make that mean something in your own little mind
hello there
Gliche
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States811 Posts
April 15 2009 21:40 GMT
#4
only the original songwriter knows its true meaning. in the words of shakespeare, take it "as you like it"
KT fighting~!! | Designing things is fun!
Pyrrhuloxia
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States6700 Posts
April 15 2009 21:44 GMT
#5
it means its a shitty song
aRod
Profile Joined July 2007
United States758 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-15 21:45:50
April 15 2009 21:45 GMT
#6
Hmmm....
This song has strong religous allusions. The analogy of St. Peter holding the keys to heaven is heavily exploited. The "Sea's rising when I gave the word," the mention of jerusalem, rome, and missionaries all suggest some religous theme.
I could make an arguement the whole song is about Jesus. How Jesus was a the King of the jews, who preached a false word, and was eventually killed.
I don't know anything about the author though, so this could be completely off.
Live to win.
aRod
Profile Joined July 2007
United States758 Posts
April 15 2009 21:48 GMT
#7
I might also argue the song speaks somewhat about the fading role of religion.
Live to win.
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-15 21:52:30
April 15 2009 21:52 GMT
#8
Hey, wanna know how I know you're gay?
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
April 15 2009 21:52 GMT
#9
On April 16 2009 06:44 Pyrrhuloxia wrote:
it means its a shitty song

+1 fuck plagiarist bullshit assclown douchebag coldplay and all of their fans.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
April 15 2009 21:53 GMT
#10
On April 16 2009 06:48 aRod wrote:
I might also argue the song speaks somewhat about the fading role of religion.

I would argue that this was a Joe Satriani song, and not even a good one. youtube/google it
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
ahrara_
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Afghanistan1715 Posts
April 15 2009 21:55 GMT
#11
On April 16 2009 06:52 Drowsy wrote:
Hey guys, look at me! I derive my self esteem from feeling superior to people who listen to and enjoy popular music! I hope more people jump on my bandwagon, because then I won't feel so alone.

in Afghanistan we have 20% literacy rate
Quesadilla
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1814 Posts
April 15 2009 21:55 GMT
#12
I'm pretty sure that this song is about Napoleon's rise and fall.
Make a lot of friends. Wear good clothes. Drink good beer. Love a nice girl.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-15 21:56:47
April 15 2009 21:55 GMT
#13
French Revolution yo.

edit: not Napoleon, more like Robespierre.
TranslatorBaa!
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
April 15 2009 21:57 GMT
#14
Words like these are made to be understood in many possible ways.

My opinion is that it talks about the life, perhaps his life:
He was young and thought he knew what life is about. He was perhaps full of potential - future 'king' material; on top of his world.
But then life's problems struck him, perhaps a dramatic occurrence happened that left his confidence and fundamental beliefs about life shattered. He's now lost and overwhelmed by life.

But that's pretty much my personal story so yeah... I think this is like a mirror, you will see what you already have in the back of your mind.
ulszz
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
Jamaica1787 Posts
April 15 2009 22:12 GMT
#15
On April 16 2009 06:44 Pyrrhuloxia wrote:
it means its a shitty song

hahaha pretty much
everliving, everfaithful, eversure
cgrinker
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3824 Posts
April 15 2009 22:16 GMT
#16
THREAD SEMI RELEVENT HIJACK!!!!

Check this shit out

Joe Satriani took Chris Martin to court a couple months back because he claimed that Martin plagerized Satriani's song "If I Could Fly" Satriani goes on the news saying it took him 10 years to write the song about his dead wife.

Then they interview Coldplay and are like "Satriani took ten years to write that song."

And Martin goes "Ten Years? It took us like 10 Minutes!!" and then they High-Five

Burn!
Try
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States1293 Posts
April 15 2009 22:25 GMT
#17
On April 16 2009 07:16 cgrinker wrote:
THREAD SEMI RELEVENT HIJACK!!!!

Check this shit out

Joe Satriani took Chris Martin to court a couple months back because he claimed that Martin plagerized Satriani's song "If I Could Fly" Satriani goes on the news saying it took him 10 years to write the song about his dead wife.

Then they interview Coldplay and are like "Satriani took ten years to write that song."

And Martin goes "Ten Years? It took us like 10 Minutes!!" and then they High-Five

Burn!


Yeah, it took them ten minutes to plagiarize his song.
eatmyshorts5
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1530 Posts
April 15 2009 22:32 GMT
#18
All i know is that it's about Napoleon.

Just my 2 cents.
BF:BC2 ID: BisuStork//CJ Entusman #32
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-15 22:45:04
April 15 2009 22:35 GMT
#19
- there are many blogs and threads out there asking the same question

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080804040335AAWySck <- try this one
http://www.baptisttwentyone.com/?p=462
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080810164925AApFftY
http://avoidmuse.blogspot.com/2009/03/viva-la-vida.html
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=15253175252&topic=7793

tip: http://www.google.com
interview coldplay explanation to the lyrics viva la vida
i.e. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS268&ei=1WLmSYPAOujqnQf6lbCmCQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=interview coldplay explanation to the lyrics viva la vida&spell=1
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
[DUF]MethodMan
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Germany1716 Posts
April 15 2009 22:39 GMT
#20
On April 16 2009 06:44 Pyrrhuloxia wrote:
it means its a shitty song


aiight!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1196
ComeBackTV 924
SteadfastSC909
TaKeTV 580
IndyStarCraft 175
Rex145
EnkiAlexander 83
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 909
IndyStarCraft 175
Rex 145
ProTech132
BRAT_OK 30
MindelVK 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45775
Bisu 2224
Horang2 1094
EffOrt 979
Soma 618
Shuttle 597
Mini 457
BeSt 446
Light 426
Hyuk 386
[ Show more ]
Larva 344
ZerO 201
Rush 192
firebathero 78
Mong 66
910 61
Snow 59
Pusan 53
Liquid`Ret 51
Sexy 39
ToSsGirL 34
Trap 30
Aegong 25
JYJ 24
Terrorterran 24
Bale 23
Rock 16
Shine 13
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Dota 2
Gorgc8066
qojqva894
Counter-Strike
Fnx 814
fl0m336
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1406
Khaldor1218
Other Games
singsing1947
hiko1471
Beastyqt608
Livibee205
Hui .177
ArmadaUGS158
Liquid`VortiX138
XaKoH 123
KnowMe113
Mew2King82
QueenE79
ZerO(Twitch)11
CosmosSc2 2
DeMusliM0
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV209
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream86
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile132
• poizon28 30
• StrangeGG 23
• Gemini_19 9
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 41
• Michael_bg 8
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3838
Other Games
• Shiphtur300
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 21m
CranKy Ducklings
18h 21m
Online Event
19h 21m
FEL
1d
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.