• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:18
CEST 11:18
KST 18:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8657 users

TL Battle of the Bands June 2008 Voting!

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-13 22:42:47
July 13 2008 20:50 GMT
#1
Here we are - the battle of the bands, as promised.

What's the process?

It's all streaming on Youtube. Listen to it. Then, maybe, again. Don't be a jerk. Did you really listen to it at least twice? I mean, at least start the songs twice. Give 'em a chance.

Voting:

I'm doing voting the same way it was done last time. Send me a PM with your top two favorite artists (numbered one and two) IN THE SUBJECT LINE. For instance the subject would be "1.Beatles2.RollingStones." That will make tallying the votes super easy. Every #1 vote gets 2 points, every #2 vote gets 1. Votes get tallied and results will be posted on or around Monday the 21st. Hopefully we'll be able to get more songs and some words of wisdom from the winner(s).

Artists can vote. Artists cannot vote for themselves.

ALSO:

Why not vote for best song? You can feel free to include that in your pm to me for best artist - do it in the same manner, simply put it in the body of the message and not the subject line.

If I left you out I'm sorry. Let me know. If I left out a song it's probably because it went over 10 minutes. Sorry. Additionally, it could be cause i fucked up. Let me know! I'll fix it up and update the post.

Everyone else should be in here:

Let's do this, shall we?

The Music:

Come to Life:
+ Show Spoiler +


Crystal Blaze:
+ Show Spoiler +


Jens Sunden
+ Show Spoiler +


Jonnny
+ Show Spoiler +


Kayser / Meisingset
+ Show Spoiler +


Los Chicharronesz
+ Show Spoiler +


mikeymoo
+ Show Spoiler +


Motiva
+ Show Spoiler +


Phase
+ Show Spoiler +


Snowbird
+ Show Spoiler +


Star Track
+ Show Spoiler +


Tal
+ Show Spoiler +



I'll probably upload the mp3s during this week.

Sorry if you need it, you're welcome if you enjoy this.

:O
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
July 13 2008 21:32 GMT
#2
mikeymoo is awesome.
:O
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
July 13 2008 21:34 GMT
#3
wtf some of these sound so professional O_O
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Pwntrucci[sR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada1519 Posts
July 13 2008 21:52 GMT
#4
Nice, just listened through them quickly and it's pretty cool. I'll give them all a good listen before voting.
bg
Hollow
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Canada2180 Posts
July 13 2008 21:53 GMT
#5
Jonnny, wtf are you doing?
Pwntrucci[sR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada1519 Posts
July 13 2008 21:54 GMT
#6
Yeah wtf this jonnny character seems really fucked up... Should lay off the shrooms imo
bg
DamageControL
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States4222 Posts
July 13 2008 22:05 GMT
#7
Snowbird is good but feels a little repetitive to me.
Come to life isnt my thing
Crystal Blaze is ok
Mikeymoo is very good. I found it quite enjoyable. not a huge fan of the little mermaid, but he sings well. All his other songs are quite good sounding too. Wow... He is seriously talented
Will listen to the others later.
Liquid | SKT
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
July 13 2008 22:35 GMT
#8
On July 14 2008 06:54 Pwntrucci[sR] wrote:
Yeah wtf this jonnny character seems really fucked up... Should lay off the shrooms imo


haha yeah he's clearly fuckin crazy.
:O
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
July 13 2008 23:39 GMT
#9
....Where the fuck is Yubee's music?
Quesadilla
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1814 Posts
July 13 2008 23:53 GMT
#10
Wish youtube didn't compress them all so much... Listening now...
Jonnny...? Hahaha Los Chicarrones.. so rad. Mikeymoo is way talented but I think I'd kill myself if I listen too much longer to that song. I'm totally down for Phase, sick track. The chord progression + the melody for Snowbird's first jam is rad, heavy classical influence. Crystal Blaze is awesome musically, vocals are killing me though...
Make a lot of friends. Wear good clothes. Drink good beer. Love a nice girl.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
July 14 2008 00:53 GMT
#11
just lsitened through real quick, i really like kayser. Phase is sick, but im kind of biased for electronic music. snowbirds pretty cool. didn't really like crystal/come to life but thats just not my genre preference. mikeymoo sounded pretty sick from what i listened too, but just not my style.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
DamageControL
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States4222 Posts
July 14 2008 02:50 GMT
#12
On July 14 2008 09:53 decafchicken wrote:
just lsitened through real quick, i really like kayser. Phase is sick, but im kind of biased for electronic music. snowbirds pretty cool. didn't really like crystal/come to life but thats just not my genre preference. mikeymoo sounded pretty sick from what i listened too, but just not my style.

I want phase on my ipod, so i can listen to it while i play sc.
Liquid | SKT
Dark.Carnival
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States5095 Posts
July 14 2008 06:26 GMT
#13
lots of different styles of music, awesome. props to Phase. sounded good, it would be nice to have had more songs though.

mikeymoo sounded good, but i don't really like that style of music so johnny was............ yeah. Snowbird was hit and miss, I liked the first and third song but not so much the fourth. I liked Tals first song, although slightly repetitive it won me over.

The other bands weren't really what i'd listen to(though i listended to them anyway). Crystal Blaze sounded so much like all the other bands of the same genre that I couldn't get into them, although I like that style of music ;x
@QxGDarkCell ._.
phase
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States399 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-14 09:20:25
July 14 2008 09:18 GMT
#14
ByyaAH! Here's a longass review for each of the entries. I listened to most of them like 2-3 times, and there were some great ones, some that needed some work, but I tried to give constructive criticism in any case. MP3 versions would really make a lot of these works sound muuuuucchhhhh better (not just mine ) It's also really, really difficult for me to decide the best artist, and I probably will put it off till the mp3 versions of everything come out.

+ Show Spoiler +

Come to Life:
This is like almost opposite spectrum of what I listen to nowadays, so I really can't comment that much. I think its a pity that you had to go through the youtube audio encoding, because this would probably sound a lot clearer. I'm nervous about the lead singer's voice though. The overall production sounds pretty high-quality though.

Crystal Blaze:
Again, I really think it's a pity that your songs suffered the youtube audio encoding, because damn, this quality sounds so professional. I don't mind the vocals, actually, I think they really suit the type of music. I mean, I think the thing that stands out the most are the guitar leads anyway. The vocals kinda back things up. I can see why people would disagree though, it sounds like something from nu-italo or something.

Jens Sunden:
Nice cover. Are you singing and playing guitar at the same time when doing that song? I think the main issue is just the recording. Vocals might be a bit loud, but I THINK that youtube's audio encoding has a lot to do with it. I like the way you pronounced a lot of words, made the song seem very smooth. Listen to yourself a little more, and see which parts you can kinda modify, so that the second half doesn't just sound like the first half repeated.

Johnny:
PFFTTT, I was hella hyped up from people saying you were on shrooms, but wait until you guys listen to stuff like IDM until you say that lol. The singing was not terribly great..... but it may be the different language that's making me say that. A lot of it reminded me of Flight of the Concordes. lol.

Kayser/Meisingset:
I never listen to this genre, but man, I swear this sounded so professional. Not too many instruments playing at the same time, but just proof that keeping the sound clean and clear pays off. I noticed a lot of little leads in the backgrounds that the piano and other guitars got, and I think those were spot-on in keeping the song different and interesting throughout. Only thing that I might pick at is that, there were a couple key changes that threw me off when I first listened to it.

Los Chicharronesz:
HEHE, I loved thiss...... for like the first minute. And then all that stood out were the rhodes playing the main melody lol. Maybe some balance issues in the bass, but it sounded like a live recording, so thats always difficult.

Mikeymoo:
They're not 100% my thing, but they were really nice sounding songs. They were put together really well. Acapella is really, really difficult because its only vocals, so any little mistakes will stand out more than usual. Was it all done live? or were a lot of parts recorded separately and then sampled? There were some tiny intonation issues, but nothing that would mess up the song.

I really, really like the second song. It flowed extremely well. There might be a spot that you might want to touch up, just right before the explosion part, and gotta watch the high notes. But it was still my favorite of the 3.

Motiva:
What comes out of you seems really, really experimental. I like how you're experimenting with different sythesizers and everything, but you gotta play around with layering different effects a lot more. You've got some nice ideas though. Do you have any producers that especially influence you?

Phase:
=]

Snowbird:
Thats so awesome, there is so much inspiration from all differeng genres in the songs that you sent. The first couple really sounded like some of the soundtrack that I heard during a Las Vegas show, so yea, props. I want to try to nitpick something out, but I can't really do it, so great job.

Star Track:
Well, everything sounds pretty good, quality-wise. You have a synth bank that is of superb quality. 1st song was a little too much for me. 2nd song was better, but I think you gotta just watch out for making your production smoother. Certain melodies pop out of nowhere, but i supose it sounds ok if you aren't really listening to it with a musically strict mindset, and instead letting it run in the back of your head. For the 3rd song, I don't think that choir lead in the beginning and the middle added anything to the song. In fact, I think it detracted from the song. I liked your 4th song most, as the transition between the two different percussion lines kept things interesting in the high-end, where you didn't have much going on. Pity that the rest of the song constantly got washed out with every kick drum. You'll have to watch the levels, to make sure that they're decently balanced, or make sure you use a multiband compressor at the highest channel, and EQ everything perfectly.

Tal:
I don't play guitar, but that sounded like massive skills to be able to play that. Some mistakes here and there, but yea, its gotta be difficult. The only other thing is that sometimes I think you confuse the listener with your rhythm because you would be pretty free with it, and not give clear enough signals through accented notes or whatnot to say oh, this is the downbeat, or at least, this is what the rhythm is going like now. Still, it sounds really difficult, and props to that.

Dewis
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Finland344 Posts
July 14 2008 10:41 GMT
#15
I really agree that MP3 versions would kick ass too. It's really good that you can listen to streams from youtube but if you want to listen to the contrasts and dynamics in the songs, the quality isn't good enough. I know that this would require even more work for choboPEon who has already put much effort into this, so I understand if he doesn't want to do that.

Anyways, will give my own feedback as soon as I find the time to listen through all the songs.
BroOd
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Austin10833 Posts
July 14 2008 10:43 GMT
#16
Shouldn't upload songs with their TL names.
ModeratorSIRL and JLIG.
mikeymoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada7170 Posts
July 14 2008 20:22 GMT
#17
I'm actually beatboxing a couple- and the lead for some songs are from my friend. He's taking a PhD in voice o_O
o_x | Ow. | 1003 ESPORTS dollars | If you have any questions about bans please PM Kennigit
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-14 20:32:48
July 14 2008 20:32 GMT
#18
LOL at the La Bamba cover.
EpiK
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5757 Posts
July 14 2008 20:47 GMT
#19
o wow.. I really like the first track of mikeymoo's stuff.
Motiva
Profile Joined November 2007
United States1774 Posts
July 14 2008 21:22 GMT
#20
mmm wow my stuff sounds weird on youtube... Damn shitty production.

My music isn't on the level of a lot of the entry's but my stuff is alittle better with higher quality. So MP3s would be great.

@Phase
Yea, I haven't been making music very long, and I tend to stray away from genre constraints as much as possible. Hmm I guess if I had any influences in the music I turned in it would prolly be Mr. Oizo more than anything else. Maybe a touch of Infected Mushroom, but I'm not a big fan of most electronica... I mainly listen to technical death metal, fusion jazz, and gangsta rap. lol.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5939
Rain 3847
Leta 2470
Soulkey 418
Soma 333
BeSt 262
Rush 216
Barracks 179
firebathero 127
Killer 50
[ Show more ]
soO 49
Sexy 46
Shinee 37
Stork 35
Shine 32
HiyA 18
Hm[arnc] 17
Sharp 13
Sacsri 12
sorry 9
Noble 4
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc3291
XcaliburYe164
League of Legends
JimRising 506
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King71
Other Games
gofns22016
WinterStarcraft727
Sick173
Pyrionflax167
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 61
• Sammyuel 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2234
League of Legends
• Jankos2430
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
42m
Patches Events
5h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 42m
OSC
13h 42m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.