• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:23
CEST 05:23
KST 12:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9456 users

Better Know a WCS EU Challenger: uThermal

Forum Index > SC2 General
50 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-03 11:51:34
September 30 2013 21:09 GMT
#1
2013 WCS Europe

WCS Europe Season 3 Challenger League



Brackets and standings on Liquipedia

Get to know your WCS players

Interviews by monk

Get to Know your WCS EU Challenger Player is back! Though we had a brief break (mostly due to zero foreigners qualifying during season 2), we now have a whole host of new interviews ready for you. But before we continue with the NA interviews, we decided it's only fair for the WCS Europe players to get a chance as well. So here's a look at our first European up-and-comer, uThermal.

uThermal

Why don't you start off by introducing yourself!
Hey I'm uThermal, a 17 year old Dutch terran player from the Netherlands, hoping to one day win a tournament with the worst race!

Why do you think Terran is the worst race? The last tournament finals was a TvT!
Terrans are performing bad in everything, Dreamhack Bucharest being the only exception, and if you look at non-korean terrans things have been looking sad forever : P

Also, I think you already accomplished your goal. What about the frag-o-matic 15.0 survival?
Everyone attending that tournament was so bad that if I had lost I would've locked myself in my basement for 3 months ^_^

Wow, you just called Harstem bad. He's probably really angry at you now and will track you down to do unspeakable things to you.
He's in Taiwan right now, I don't think he will take the time to travel back.

You don't think he's mad enough? Or that he just won't read the interview?
I let him win on purpose in some of the tournaments we played. He should be thankful, not mad.

[image loading]
Artist's interpretation.
Ok let's take a step back. Where does your nickname come from and it is a reference to thermal conductivity?
I didn't think of the meaning of thermal when I created the name, I used to be in clans with friends in other games, but since you can only use letters in bnet, we just decided to all put the letter u in front of our names, thermal is just a name I saw someone else use in another game, and decided to steal it : D

Do you just like how the word sounds or do you like the meaning of the word in any way? Also, u is a very arbitrary letter.
I think the word thermal itself would be a pretty lame name, I just think uThermal has some kind of ring to it.

I agree! Being that you're from the Netherlands, do you especially look up to players such as Ret or Grubby?
I look up to Harstem and Grubby as persons, not especially as players. I wish to become alot better than them, but when I grow up I want to be as cool as them ^_^

Yea, they're very cool people. Did you know that the TL headquarters recently moved to the Netherlands as well? Perhaps you can sneak in to steal some incriminating evidence, then force Nazgul to recruit you.
In fact I was already planning on doing this, I'm afraid you just gave away my secret plans. Maybe it's a good thing so I won't make the other players in TL look bad ;D

Speaking of other TL players, I just saw that you lost to TLO today. Sorry to hear that =( How were the games though?
I played terribly, thinking back I don't even know what I was doing haha, I don't mind losing to TLO though, as I like him alot as a person. By the way, wasn't TLO in EG? haha

Oh yea, good point. I guess that's still going on? The agreement was a week, right? Maybe TLO and incontrol should have switched spots in tournaments too. Would you have rather played Liquid`Incontrol instead?
I have no idea how long the agreement was, I'd definitely rather have played liquid incontrol, I'd do anything to avoid playing zergs

I'm browsing reddit right now and I noticed this handy chart on players who qualified for WCS season 3. Any comments?
Terran =(, I think next to region locking they should also implement a feature that in the qualifiers at least 85% have to be Terran players to make it fair.

Speaking of qualifiers, how were those? Easy? And any memorable or especially difficult games?
I don't like to admit it, but my bracket was really easy, my only difficult opponent was zanster. I think the qualifier was especially easy because I proxy 11/11ed almost every game ^_^

Is that your tip on how to qualify for WCS? Proxy 11/11 every game?
I think that's the best advice anyone could ever get, 11/11 is the classic build of terran and I'll make sure no one will ever forget it!

Seeing that you have fairly strong opinions on balance and Terran, what do you think about the proposed changes blizzard is suggesting for the next season?
I think they almost couldn't have been worse haha, I think the roach burrowed movement speed increase is great, usually when people use that the roaches are all dead before they arrive, buffing the oracle is the most random buff ever done and I think the problem with mech in tvz and tvp is not the upgrades but their hard counters like swarmhosts are too strong. I think the mine/tank buff/nerf will destroy terran completely in tvz, but since I never win tvz anyways I guess a chance might be ok ^^

But but innovation taught me that you could just rally units across the map and win! What's wrong with that?
Innovation got destroyed in his last few tvz series in the gsl, I think if even the best tvzer gets destroyed by zergs it's obvious there;s something wrong, I guess zergs learned to make more drones instead of panicing ^_^

Are you a fan of Innovation? Any particular players you look up to play-wise?
I'm definitely not a fan of innovation, I think hes too boring, playwise im a big fan of Byun as he seems to like to do stupid builds like me, only difference is that they actually work when he does them :D Also I'm a big fan of Bomber because he actually wins after he manner mules people, this is something I still struggle with.

Do you remember game in the GSTL where Bomber manner mule'd marineking, then proceeded to lose the game?
I will never forget that, that's what always happens to me ^_^

Or when taeja lost to elfi after manner muling him at least 5 times...Anyways, you like Byun! Me too! Do you also like his puppy?
I would prefer it if he had a cat

Oh so you're one of those people. Do you have a cat? Any pets?
I had a cat, it passed away recently, I had it for about 13 years, I'm thinking about getting a new one soon.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have any reservations about replacing him? I know some pet owners say they'll never replace their pets.
I think it's only bad to stay hung up on stuff like that, he had a great life with us and there's always a time they have to go, you're only hurting yourself if you keep thinking about this, you need to drop it and enjoy your life!

Wow, i never expected to get such sage life advice from this interview. Any other general advice you have to give to our audience?
You know what they say, money doesn't make people happy, so if you want to get rid of it, be free to donate to my paypal.

But won't that not make you happy either? The second part of that advice doesn't seem to follow the first part.
I'm sacrificing myself to make many other people happy, it will be hard on me but I think I'll make it out alive.

Wow, what a great person. that says a lot about your character. You know what else says a lot about your character? My next question
Exciting

You get to be on a team with any 5 players in the world. Who would be on this team with you?
bomber yoda soulkey byun and forgg

You see, I ask everyone this question and everyone has slightly different ways of answering it. Some people answer the current 5 best players in the world. Some people answer their 5 best friends. Some answer only players of their own race, and some people are really timid and answer players on their current team so that they don't offend anyone. What do you think your answers say about you?
It says I like to hang with the cool people :[

How do you know they're cool though? Have you met them all before? If not, they could all be cat-tourturing psychopaths.
By their playstyle I can tell I can learn so many cool things from them, Bomber and yoda would teach me how to manner mule at proper times, Soulkey would teach me how to stare at people that they become so scared they cant play anymore, byun would teach me how to win with stupid builds and forgg could teach me how to win tvt without gambling on build orders, about the cat thing, sometimes you just have to trust people.

More sage advice! I think this interview is approaching 30 questions, so it's about time to wrap it up. Any shoutouts or final pieces of advice?
I want to advise my next opponents to not scout for 11/11 because I will surely not do it. Recently I've joined a new team : AT Gaming, I want to thank them and the sponsors : CM Storm, Kingston HyperX, Spam and Avermedia. In the short time I've been with them, they have already been great to me. In return, I will make sure to dominate my following tournaments with alot of proxy2- macro builds for them. And of course, thank you for the interview!

You can follow and find out more about uThermal here:
Twitter - @uThermal
Stream- srcavalon
Facebook-atuthermal
Liquipedia



Get to know even more WCS Challengers!

WCS America
Core.JonSnow
Fray_Petraeus

WCS Europe
uThermal

WCS Korea
Coming soon?!


Interviews: monk
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
tar
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany991 Posts
October 01 2013 11:36 GMT
#2
entertaining as always.
whoever I pick for my anti team turns gosu
Cinek357
Profile Joined October 2012
Poland119 Posts
October 01 2013 11:47 GMT
#3
I've never read anything about uThermal but he seems like a really cool guy nice interview.
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-01 11:48:18
October 01 2013 11:47 GMT
#4
Haha, I already like him!
edit: also please update the featured streams list!
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
October 01 2013 11:47 GMT
#5
This interview entertained me quite well. Thanks!
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
LeviathanDK
Profile Joined August 2011
Denmark87 Posts
October 01 2013 11:47 GMT
#6
as he says: non korean terrans.... well unless he didn't notice then non korean terran players suck and they will always do so because of how the koreans make them appear. Besides korean terrans <3 gotta love koreans overall. would be fun if he got a TvT with a top korean player.

Good interview, enjoyed reading it.
Conut
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada1026 Posts
October 01 2013 11:52 GMT
#7
that interview was so funny, the paypal joke caught me with my guard down, super funny
Sc2 always got your back
-deny-
Profile Joined September 2010
Croatia13 Posts
October 01 2013 11:53 GMT
#8
<3 gl termalni !
AxionSteel
Profile Joined January 2011
United States7754 Posts
October 01 2013 11:56 GMT
#9
Very funny interview.
scsnow
Profile Joined April 2010
Slovenia515 Posts
October 01 2013 12:01 GMT
#10
Terrans just come and win the season finals in the end...
NovemberstOrm
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Canada16217 Posts
October 01 2013 12:04 GMT
#11
Nice interview. Thanks!
Moderatorlickypiddy
klup
Profile Joined May 2013
France612 Posts
October 01 2013 12:10 GMT
#12
11/11 every game love that !
Sjokola
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands800 Posts
October 01 2013 12:18 GMT
#13
Gl! We need more Dutch players in wcs.
Bodzilla
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia472 Posts
October 01 2013 12:29 GMT
#14
I TOO, AM A FAN OF BYUN.

dudes got taste~
when life gives you lemons, make banelings
MavivaM
Profile Joined November 2011
1535 Posts
October 01 2013 12:35 GMT
#15
Great questions, great answers.
Good luck in the future, terran hero uThermal!
+ Show Spoiler +
I would prefer it if he had a cat
Oh so you're one of those people.
I bet you are one of those disgusting people who like dogs, amirite Monk? Grrrrr
Your Opinion has been counted. Only 3 more Opinions needed for a reddit thread.
Apoptotic
Profile Blog Joined May 2013
United States137 Posts
October 01 2013 12:36 GMT
#16
This guy is great, hope he does well!
SC2: Apoptotic.156 || LoL NA: DeathCapForCutíe PI: apoptotic || "There's something in my brain here that's telling me he needs to 2base all-in." "That's called a lesion."
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
October 01 2013 12:39 GMT
#17
Son of Fuzer. Now it's proven.
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
trada
Profile Joined August 2012
Germany347 Posts
October 01 2013 12:45 GMT
#18
I think monks favorite word is "sage"

he should interview Sage the player, see what that does to his body.
~
Rustug
Profile Joined October 2010
1488 Posts
October 01 2013 12:49 GMT
#19
Good Stuff! Best of luck to you uThermal!
Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not. 파이팅! ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ"
MirageTaN
Profile Joined June 2012
Singapore871 Posts
October 01 2013 13:07 GMT
#20
I like this guys personality EG should pick him up
#TLWIN TI7, TLDota BEST TL
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 215
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 616
NaDa 48
Icarus 6
TT1 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm236
LuMiX0
League of Legends
JimRising 669
Other Games
summit1g10295
WinterStarcraft394
Mew2King100
ViBE83
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1324
BasetradeTV302
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream147
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta46
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush960
• Lourlo666
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 37m
INu's Battles
8h 37m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
11h 37m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 37m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 37m
Replay Cast
19h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 7h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.