• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:22
CEST 05:22
KST 12:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8155 users

Open Broadcaster Software

Blogs > R1CH
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
R1CH
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Netherlands10342 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 00:17:41
February 04 2013 23:28 GMT
#1


Open Broadcaster Software


As streaming plays a big role in the StarCraft and Dota 2 communities, I figured I'd post a blog about this. Open Broadcaster Software (usually referred to as just OBS) is a fairly new program to the streaming market that lets you stream and record your gameplay in a manner very similar to xsplit. However unlike xsplit, OBS is completely free to use and is even open source, allowing anyone to help contribute to the development - I've personally submitted quite a few pieces of code to help improve the network code and fix various bugs. There are no restrictions on things like resolution, bitrate, frame rate, etc so as long as your PC is good enough, you can stream however you like.

OBS was first announced just under six months ago by Jim, the main developer, in this reddit thread. Since then, the program has grown to support all kinds of new options and devices. The current version, 0.47a, is fresh off of a major update that improves synchronization of things like webcams and microphones, adds support for more capture cards and a mode to help reduce network latency caused by streaming.

[image loading]
Look at all the things OBS can do!


One of the main features OBS offers over other solutions is the built-in game capture plugin. Compared to xsplit's "game source" feature, the OBS game capture performs much better and is generally even better than using DXTory to capture your games. OBS also has a fast single-window capture mode and supports high speed full screen capture on Windows 8. The program is designed with performance in mind and written entirely in C++ with no fancy UI or other bloat. Some functions like color space conversion and blending are offloaded to the GPU to further minimize CPU use.

I've been encouraging streamers to switch to OBS for some time, and many people report better frame rates and reduced CPU usage compared to xsplit. The TL Dota 2 team and some of our SC2 players are also streaming with OBS full time now. If you're interested in trying it out, check out obsproject.com for downloads. If you're new to OBS, be sure to stop by the great support forum for some good setup guides.

****
AdministratorTwitter: @R1CH_TL
TL+ Member
Megaliskuu
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5123 Posts
February 04 2013 23:30 GMT
#2
I like OBS a lot better for streaming both BW (thanks for the plugin R1ch~) and sc2, would definitely recommend to any streamers!
|BW>Everything|Add me on star2 KR server TheMuTaL.675 for practice games :)|NEX clan| https://www.dotabuff.com/players/183104694
rawb
Profile Joined September 2010
United States252 Posts
February 04 2013 23:35 GMT
#3
I really, really enjoy OBS. It's like getting a hardware upgrade for free. Let me go from 720@30 to 720@60, or 1080@30 with no performance loss.
zephiK
Profile Joined March 2012
United States372 Posts
February 04 2013 23:35 GMT
#4
OBS is a great program. Very easy to use, not as fancy looking in the GUI field when compared to Xsplit but it gets the job done and a lot more efficient than Xsplit. Free program to use with great support on their forums, whats there not to like?

I totally recommend it myself.
bogderpirat
Profile Joined April 2011
Jordan66 Posts
February 04 2013 23:36 GMT
#5
OBS is okay.
if khaldor had boobs, i'd hit him
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
February 04 2013 23:40 GMT
#6
oh my god what is that thing at the top of your post I could play with that for hours.

I'll look into this sounds really promising with your name on it.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33707 Posts
February 04 2013 23:41 GMT
#7
what the fuck, that spiraly thingie o_O
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Fishriot
Profile Joined May 2010
United States621 Posts
February 04 2013 23:41 GMT
#8
OBS is great, I'm able to stream 720p 30fps with no noticeable performance loss in both SC2 and LoL. Also very easy to use, even for someone like me who is fairly illiterate when it comes to computers!
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
February 04 2013 23:50 GMT
#9
I had no clue how to stream, never tried and never researched the topic. Withing 5-10minutes I had OBS up and my twitch channel running. Amazing software.

To be fair I dl'd xplit first thinking that's what I was 'supposed' to use but after tinkering with it and realizing I'd probably have to pay I quickly looked for alternatives. Once I tried OBS I never looked back.
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
HawaiianPig
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Canada5155 Posts
February 04 2013 23:52 GMT
#10
On February 05 2013 08:50 crms wrote:
I had no clue how to stream, never tried and never researched the topic. Withing 5-10minutes I had OBS up and my twitch channel running. Amazing software.


Yeah honestly this was what won me over.

I could never be bothered to set up streaming with Xsplit or any other software. But with OBS it's quite literally, download, run, stream. There's so little setup... you're running in few seconds.
AdministratorNot actually Hawaiian.
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
February 04 2013 23:54 GMT
#11
Thanks R1CH! Gonna switch to OBS
Thrill
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
2599 Posts
February 05 2013 00:00 GMT
#12
Summon Gunrun:
"Assuming direct control"

-> All settings fixed.
JOJOsc2news
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
3000 Posts
February 05 2013 00:04 GMT
#13
I've been playing with the spinning spiral for the past 5 minutes. I'm dizzy...
✉ Tweets @sc2channel ⌦ Blog: http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/JOJO ⌫ "Arbiterssss... build more arbiterssss." Click 'Profile' for awesome shiro art!
Kaal
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Djibouti2570 Posts
February 05 2013 00:07 GMT
#14
spin spin spin spin spin
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
February 05 2013 00:12 GMT
#15
That spiral is the best part about this blog.

I've been thinking of switching to OBS for some time, but I was too lazy. Sounds like it's really easy though, so maybe I'll try right now!
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
KazeHydra
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan2788 Posts
February 05 2013 00:24 GMT
#16
On February 05 2013 09:12 Zergneedsfood wrote:
That spiral is the best part about this blog.

I've been thinking of switching to OBS for some time, but I was too lazy. Sounds like it's really easy though, so maybe I'll try right now!

I actually dl'ed OBS a week ago but haven't gotten around to a streaming session yet. I had problems with capturing bw after I log onto iccup if I use software capture but I can just use screen capture instead.
"Because I know this promise that won’t disappear will turn even a cause of tears into strength. You taught me that if I can believe, there is nothing that cannot come true." - Nana Mizuki (Yakusoku) 17:36 ils kaze got me into nana 17:36 ils by his blog
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
February 05 2013 00:26 GMT
#17
used obs to record today, it worked really, really well. Really easy to set up too ^_^
Moderator
ZombieRitual
Profile Joined August 2011
United States121 Posts
February 05 2013 00:32 GMT
#18
I like the spirally 666 logo. Reminds me of a Deicide album cover: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Deicide/Insineratehymn/5974
hp.Shell
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2527 Posts
February 05 2013 00:32 GMT
#19
Thanks for posting this!
Please PM me with any songs you like that you think I haven't heard before!
Superiorwolf
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States5509 Posts
February 05 2013 00:46 GMT
#20
R1CH introduced me to this and I started using it a few weeks ago, have to say that so far I've been loving it and definitely see a drastically frame rate while streaming. Definitely recommend it!
Check out my stream at www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=315053 and follow me on Twitter @EGSuppy! :)
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 239
NeuroSwarm 187
FoxeR 28
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3487
Leta 1844
Bale 61
Shine 17
Icarus 5
Other Games
summit1g7948
JimRising 573
WinterStarcraft407
ViBE144
Mew2King18
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick668
BasetradeTV199
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta20
• Light_VIP 17
• Letter1412
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo605
Other Games
• Scarra1056
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 38m
Patches Events
11h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 38m
OSC
19h 38m
OSC
1d 8h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.