• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:01
CEST 01:01
KST 08:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8922 users

Prize pool cap?

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
MadChem
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Germany218 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-24 15:30:42
July 24 2011 13:50 GMT
#1
Update:
On July 24 2011 23:25 TotalBiscuit wrote:
This is what I know. Yes, you can go over $5k with special dispensation from Blizzard. However, it is policy for them to then require 50% of your ad revenue. I know of several large tournaments that have had to do this. If SHOUTcraft Invitational were to do this, it would mean less money getting into the hands of players, which is completely against what the tournament is all about. It makes no sense for SCI to do this, rather than just run more than one event.


Obviously is SCII the property of Blizzard and Blizzard is providing Battlenet as a Platform for us
and have thereby expense they have to pay, but is taking 50 % of the revenue above 5k a fair deal?
Just from an perspective like this case were the audience is donating money to the prize pool.
My opinion is that Blizzard should a special license for these cases and allowing a Bigger Prize Pool, if the cash is provided by the community.

What do you guys think? (Discuss ;-) !!!)

OP:
Hi everybody,

Yesterday during the TotalBiscuit Invitational:
TB told the amount of money people
donated for the next tournament.
It was more than 5k $ and he told the audience that
the prize pool cap by blizzard is 5K $.

What I would like to know is how do tournaments get the
right to have a higher prize pool and the conditions around that.
I hope someone around here knows it ;-)

MadChem
"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." - Oppenheimer
Cuiu
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany410 Posts
July 24 2011 14:08 GMT
#2
i think talking or asking blizzard would solve the problem
Syben
Profile Joined October 2010
United States512 Posts
July 24 2011 14:22 GMT
#3
If he really wanted it to be more I am sure he could contact Blizzard and ask for permission. I have heard of other small tournaments getting approved pretty easily.
Definitely gonna switch to G, the only race I havent played yet. - TLO
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-24 14:24:33
July 24 2011 14:24 GMT
#4
You have to get a tournament license from Blizzard. From there, the standard is 5,000 with incentives (I believe) going to Blizzard (or some kind of portion).

Amounts larger than that and cater to a larger public are probably talked beyond the standard license with Blizzard.

You can see the application on B.net in the E-Sports section.

(this is what I recall).
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
ribboo
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden1842 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-24 14:26:19
July 24 2011 14:25 GMT
#5
It's not getting approved that's the problem. It's the fact that if your price-money exceeds $5k, Blizzard wants a piece of your advertise income. TB feels that he'd rather give players the money than Blizzard.

There is a $5000 limit which if exceeded, requires special dispensation from Blizzard. This agreement usually involves Blizzard placing more constraints on your tournament and taking 50% of the advertising revenue. It makes more sense to be able to give 100% to the players, not just some of it with Blizzard taking a share they won't even notice on their books.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/ixw0k/thank_you_colin_smith/
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
July 24 2011 14:25 GMT
#6
This is what I know. Yes, you can go over $5k with special dispensation from Blizzard. However, it is policy for them to then require 50% of your ad revenue. I know of several large tournaments that have had to do this. If SHOUTcraft Invitational were to do this, it would mean less money getting into the hands of players, which is completely against what the tournament is all about. It makes no sense for SCI to do this, rather than just run more than one event.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Chillax
Profile Joined March 2011
England585 Posts
July 24 2011 14:28 GMT
#7
Yup split the cash between events. The prize pool is huge for a monthly tournament as is.
KinQuh
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland810 Posts
July 24 2011 14:35 GMT
#8
I think TB should just distribute the money between multiple events rathen than just host one massive invitational.
Holy check.
ughh
Profile Joined January 2011
Belgium10 Posts
July 24 2011 14:42 GMT
#9
On July 24 2011 23:35 KinQuh wrote:
I think TB should just distribute the money between multiple events rathen than just host one massive invitational.


Well, I think TotalBiscuit should do whatever the fuck he wants to do. The man hasn't done anything in SC2 that I didn't love, hasn't expressed any opinions I didn't agree with. And YOU certainly shouldn't tell him what he should do.


User was warned for this post
Jeramus
Profile Joined May 2010
United States37 Posts
July 24 2011 14:46 GMT
#10
On July 24 2011 23:42 ughh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2011 23:35 KinQuh wrote:
I think TB should just distribute the money between multiple events rathen than just host one massive invitational.


Well, I think TotalBiscuit should do whatever the fuck he wants to do. The man hasn't done anything in SC2 that I didn't love, hasn't expressed any opinions I didn't agree with. And YOU certainly shouldn't tell him what he should do.



Calm down man. TB said multiple times on the stream yesterday that since donations exceeded $5000 he would host multiple events.
Herculix
Profile Joined May 2010
United States946 Posts
July 24 2011 14:55 GMT
#11
On July 24 2011 23:42 ughh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2011 23:35 KinQuh wrote:
I think TB should just distribute the money between multiple events rathen than just host one massive invitational.


Well, I think TotalBiscuit should do whatever the fuck he wants to do. The man hasn't done anything in SC2 that I didn't love, hasn't expressed any opinions I didn't agree with. And YOU certainly shouldn't tell him what he should do.


wow holy shit man, calm the fuck down and put TB's pants back on. he's a cool guy but kinquh was just giving a reasonable opinion and you don't need to go into fanboy defense mode all over it
grs
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Germany2339 Posts
July 24 2011 14:59 GMT
#12
On July 24 2011 23:55 Herculix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2011 23:42 ughh wrote:
On July 24 2011 23:35 KinQuh wrote:
I think TB should just distribute the money between multiple events rathen than just host one massive invitational.


Well, I think TotalBiscuit should do whatever the fuck he wants to do. The man hasn't done anything in SC2 that I didn't love, hasn't expressed any opinions I didn't agree with. And YOU certainly shouldn't tell him what he should do.


wow holy shit man, calm the fuck down and put TB's pants back on. he's a cool guy but kinquh was just giving a reasonable opinion and you don't need to go into fanboy defense mode all over it
This "I think x should do y" gets on my nerves too, I have to admit.
Diderick
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands298 Posts
July 24 2011 15:05 GMT
#13
Dont be so harsch guys, he just means he would love to see multiple events, but puts in a wrong way. Im sure TB is less offended by this than you guys.
ughh
Profile Joined January 2011
Belgium10 Posts
July 24 2011 15:12 GMT
#14
Lol, jezus. I am not offended in any way, just pointing out what the same thing that grs said.
But you use one swear word and some guys get their panties in a bunch.
Herculix
Profile Joined May 2010
United States946 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-24 15:16:11
July 24 2011 15:13 GMT
#15
On July 24 2011 23:59 grs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2011 23:55 Herculix wrote:
On July 24 2011 23:42 ughh wrote:
On July 24 2011 23:35 KinQuh wrote:
I think TB should just distribute the money between multiple events rathen than just host one massive invitational.


Well, I think TotalBiscuit should do whatever the fuck he wants to do. The man hasn't done anything in SC2 that I didn't love, hasn't expressed any opinions I didn't agree with. And YOU certainly shouldn't tell him what he should do.


wow holy shit man, calm the fuck down and put TB's pants back on. he's a cool guy but kinquh was just giving a reasonable opinion and you don't need to go into fanboy defense mode all over it
This "I think x should do y" gets on my nerves too, I have to admit.


it can be if people say it in a way like everyone should listen to them and if you disagree you're wrong etc... but based on the other posts, this is a tourney meant to give money to players, and kinquh's idea makes a lot of sense if that's the case. even if you disagree, in the end this is a forum where people discuss ideas, you should give a reason why an idea wouldn't work or give your own idea and not just tell people that they shouldn't be putting forth their own ideas. that's just dumb, especially the way the guy i quoted did

edit: ughh i used more swear words than you. it's more about the fact that your stance is basically that nobody is allowed to have an opinion on how TB should run his tournament except for TB on a forum
KinQuh
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland810 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-24 15:18:05
July 24 2011 15:15 GMT
#16
On July 24 2011 23:42 ughh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2011 23:35 KinQuh wrote:
I think TB should just distribute the money between multiple events rathen than just host one massive invitational.


Well, I think TotalBiscuit should do whatever the fuck he wants to do. The man hasn't done anything in SC2 that I didn't love, hasn't expressed any opinions I didn't agree with. And YOU certainly shouldn't tell him what he should do.


Have you ever heard of opinions. I just said that i would like to see many smaller events rather than one big one , and you get all upset about that. If TB feels like he wants to do a huge invitational then he may do it.

And by they way TB said that he wants the money to go to the players and i think that smaller tournaments with prize pool under 5k is the best way to do it.
Holy check.
bech
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark162 Posts
July 24 2011 15:21 GMT
#17
I don't see what stops organizers from saying "Congratulations on your $5,000 win! Also, since we like you so much, we'd like to give you these additional $5,000 for reasons completely unrelated to StarCraft II."

On a legal basis, how would blizzard prove that the money were in fact given as a prize and not just a gift?
XplayN.com - Danish SC2 news and events.
ughh
Profile Joined January 2011
Belgium10 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-24 15:24:45
July 24 2011 15:21 GMT
#18
On July 25 2011 00:13 Herculix wrote:
edit: ughh i used more swear words than you. it's more about the fact that your stance is basically that nobody is allowed to have an opinion on how TB should run his tournament except for TB on a forum


Everyone can have their opinion, but they shouldn't formulate them the way he did.
Their is a big difference between 'I would like to see many different events' and 'He should distribute the money'

I just feel no one should tell TB what to do with the (his) money. They can give suggestions, or give opinions, but they shouldn't tell him what to do.
KinQuh
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland810 Posts
July 24 2011 15:23 GMT
#19
On July 25 2011 00:21 ughh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2011 00:13 Herculix wrote:
edit: ughh i used more swear words than you. it's more about the fact that your stance is basically that nobody is allowed to have an opinion on how TB should run his tournament except for TB on a forum


Everyone can have their opinion, but they shouldn't formulate them the way he did.
Their is a big difference between 'I would like to see many different events' and 'He should distribute the money'




You seriously dont have a clue what you are talking about?
Holy check.
ughh
Profile Joined January 2011
Belgium10 Posts
July 24 2011 15:23 GMT
#20
On July 25 2011 00:23 KinQuh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2011 00:21 ughh wrote:
On July 25 2011 00:13 Herculix wrote:
edit: ughh i used more swear words than you. it's more about the fact that your stance is basically that nobody is allowed to have an opinion on how TB should run his tournament except for TB on a forum


Everyone can have their opinion, but they shouldn't formulate them the way he did.
Their is a big difference between 'I would like to see many different events' and 'He should distribute the money'




You seriously dont have a clue what you are talking about?

Nice way to end a discussion.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft0
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta18
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE77
Nina 74
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 187
Hyuk 64
Noble 37
NaDa 23
Bale 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm143
League of Legends
Doublelift4786
Counter-Strike
Fnx 720
minikerr6
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox100
Mew2King69
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5748
Khaldor693
Other Games
summit1g8019
FrodaN2053
shahzam509
Coldzera 372
JimRising 353
C9.Mang0272
KnowMe268
ArmadaUGS96
ZombieGrub93
Trikslyr44
PPMD33
CosmosSc2 16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick164
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream73
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH349
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21130
Other Games
• imaqtpie796
• Shiphtur178
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 59m
Online Event
11h 59m
FEL
16h 59m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 59m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 59m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.