• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:50
CEST 04:50
KST 11:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7706 users

Disabled Pro Gamers?

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
looknohands119
Profile Joined March 2010
United States815 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 13:33:17
September 23 2010 13:10 GMT
#1
Does anyone know of any disabled pro gamers? Let me first say that I am a quad amputee and an aspiring competitive Starcraft 2 player. I have been a student of iNcontroL's for a good while now and although I see my future career being in health policy, I have made it my goal to play competitively at a tournament level in Starcraft 2. I have a long road ahead of me to reach that goal but that isn't really what this thread is about. I am curious about other disabled pro gamers or aspiring pro gamers. I know of NOM4D but I have never head of anyone else. Some help here would be greatly appreciated guys!

There are two reasons why I ask. First, because i am disabled and an aspiring competitive gamer I am curious. Second, I am a graduating senior from Carleton College in Minnesota (http://www.carleton.edu/) and I am considering applying for a Thomas J. Watson Fellowship (http://www.watsonfellowship.org/site/index.html).

The idea of the Watson Fellowship is to have a year long adventure to further an interest you are passionate about by studying it cross-culturally and experientially. Instead of sitting in a library and doing research or taking classes, the Watson is a fellowship for those who have a need to see, interact with, and experience the world around them and the people who live in that world. As an example, one student from my school received a Watson in 2008 (Sean is actually a close friend of mine. He and a mutual friend of our and I spent time in China this last year studying health care delivery and how it relates to disability in China this past Winter. [image loading] [This is a picture of myself, Sean, our friend Zach, my father,and another good friend standing in front of our home base in Beijing, the University of International Business and Economics.]) to train as a competitive cyclist with several different Olympic and national teams all over the world. He used these experiences to learn about what competitiveness in a major sport meant in all of these different cultures. The Watson is not an academic research program and no written work or evaluated material is expected. The purpose is to have an adventure in something your passionate about. You have to know it in your mind but more importantly you have to have it in your heart and feel it in your gut on a visceral level.

If there exist disabled pro gamers, perhaps my Watson could be an adventure into pro gaming. I could, perhaps, train with Starcraft 2 players and teams in Europe and Asia, and connect with disabled pro gamers (if the exist), learn about how culture affects what it means to be a person with a disability who competes at a high level in a sport in various cultures in the digital and global age, and prepare for an attempt to qualify for a GSL myself. I want to be the best I can be in everything I do and I don't give up until I'm there. I thought perhaps it might even be a way for me to indirectly catch a glimpse of how disability is viewed in general and how technology is changing that. Starcraft 2 and the way it bringing pro gaming out of Korea and the process it is going through right now as a new game with its competitive scene in its infancy but growing and spreading like wildfire would seem to create a very unique opportunity.

This truly is the greatest community in the world and I am counting on you guys to help me out. Are there disabled pro gamers/game developers/etc...? Do you guys have any other ideas about how I could use a Watson on pro gaming to study disability in different cultures? I could really use some help brainstorming. This is near and dear to my heart in so many ways and I am desperately hoping that TeamLiquid can help me out...

Matt
"The kingdom of the heavens is buried treasure. Would you sell yourself to buy the one you've found?" - Jon Foreman ('Your Love Is Strong' - Spring EP)
Dagobert
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Netherlands1858 Posts
September 23 2010 13:15 GMT
#2
Sorry for the slightly offtopic response, but... how do you play?
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 13:19:03
September 23 2010 13:18 GMT
#3
Hey! i know of no disabled progamers, also i had to google quad amputee just to make sure i knew what it was (english not first language). I'm very curious as to how you play and how much of a disadvantage it gets you. What's your league/rating ?
DreamScaR
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Canada2127 Posts
September 23 2010 13:22 GMT
#4
The only thing that comes to mind to me, was years upon years ago in the Broodwar scene there was a Blind player. He ended up going up against boxer, I'm sure someone will come along with the link.

Though you'd have to be more specific than just "disabled" because that could also be on the mental side of things, which could add a few people I'm sure.
~ Aka ItsWoodrow on Twitter
mcJ
Profile Joined May 2009
Denmark322 Posts
September 23 2010 13:22 GMT
#5
Warcraft3 progamer Space is the only one i know of

Heres an interview with him
http://www.mymym.com/en/news/11677.html
Kryptonite333
Profile Joined September 2010
42 Posts
September 23 2010 13:24 GMT
#6
what a sick joke

User was temp banned for this post.
hmm
RyanRushia
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2748 Posts
September 23 2010 13:25 GMT
#7
space is the MAN.... i wish with all my heart that he recovers... he is an incredible wc3 player and person to be able to fight past his illness... cant even use control groups because he cant move his fingers the distance SPACE FIGHTING

HUGE respect for all disabled gamers, this goes to you looknohands119!
I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. | coL.Ryan | www.twitter.com/coL_RyanR
Meiya
Profile Joined August 2007
Australia1169 Posts
September 23 2010 13:30 GMT
#8
There are none that I know of, but there is a first time for everything. You can rest assured that, while I don't speak for this site, I imagine I am not alone in wishing you all the luck and support this community can provide.

Rock on, gar man.
Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands.
looknohands119
Profile Joined March 2010
United States815 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 13:40:59
September 23 2010 13:37 GMT
#9
Wow! Its been like 10 minutes and just wow.... I can't believe the number of responses this has already gotten. mcJ, Ryan, I've never heard of Space before but after taking a look at that interview man is he inspiring... Thank you SO much for posting that interview! I will post pics of myself using a mouse and try and get video of my playing up tonight. dream, when i say disabled I definitely mean both physically disabled (missing limbs, deafness, blindness, paralysis, etc...), developmental disabilities, learning disabilities. All of the above!
"The kingdom of the heavens is buried treasure. Would you sell yourself to buy the one you've found?" - Jon Foreman ('Your Love Is Strong' - Spring EP)
maxtodd
Profile Joined June 2010
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 13:43:56
September 23 2010 13:43 GMT
#10
nevermind.
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 13:52:03
September 23 2010 13:49 GMT
#11
Wow, I must say I'm really intrigued by your aspirations. That's really awesome that you're not letting your disability get in the way of something you love. I'm interested in learning more about your play, I'm sure you'll be impressing a lot of us here, considering such a situation is difficult for most of us to even fathom. Much respect, sir.

edit: oh and, your TL ID made me smile, haha. =)
♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
RyanRushia
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2748 Posts
September 23 2010 13:53 GMT
#12
yeah, this guy is a key example of taking advantage of being in an unfortunate position and not letting it slow him down at all... kudos to you
I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. | coL.Ryan | www.twitter.com/coL_RyanR
foxmeep
Profile Joined July 2009
Australia2337 Posts
September 23 2010 14:00 GMT
#13
this guy is the essence of TL.
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
September 23 2010 14:01 GMT
#14
to be honest I'm curious how you use the peripheries
And all is illuminated.
OPSavioR
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1465 Posts
September 23 2010 14:01 GMT
#15
On September 23 2010 22:15 Dagobert wrote:
Sorry for the slightly offtopic response, but... how do you play?



User was warned for this post
i dunno lol
BroOd
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Austin10833 Posts
September 23 2010 14:01 GMT
#16
Thanks for sharing your story man, it's pretty amazing. A good resource, if you haven't already been there, might be AbleGamers (http://www.ablegamers.com for the community site, http://www.ablegamers.org for the foundation). You might find people there with more experience in this kind of thing, as well as information on more high-profile disabled gamers.

Have you talked to anyone at your school about being nominated for the fellowship? The only condition for proposals seems to be that they are, "creative, feasible and personally significant." It's certainly creative and personally significant, but you'd have to probably spend some time planning out the logistics of such an undertaking before you applied. Please keep us updated on this, it's a fascinating story and I'm sure many people here are willing and able to help you out.
ModeratorSIRL and JLIG.
Meiya
Profile Joined August 2007
Australia1169 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 14:03:34
September 23 2010 14:02 GMT
#17
EDIT: Disregard, idiot etc won't happen again.
Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands.
Meiya
Profile Joined August 2007
Australia1169 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-23 14:03:51
September 23 2010 14:02 GMT
#18
On September 23 2010 23:01 OPSavioR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2010 22:15 Dagobert wrote:
Sorry for the slightly offtopic response, but... how do you play?



He said he's going to post pics later tonight.
Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands.
Obelisk7
Profile Joined January 2010
Korea (South)65 Posts
September 23 2010 14:05 GMT
#19
Nom4d and Space are the only players I've known who had disabilities and managed to get into the professional scene.

As for your condiction...I would recommend you type out how you are currently playing so it gives people a idea on ways we could help you better your play.

Nom4d used a modified Xbox controller that he played with his face. Space had his hands so no ideas can really stream from that end.

For you its mainly finding a way to modify equipment or methods to press keys accurately and quickly. Looking into things like nerve endings controlling a robotic hand (as is done now with amputees) is probably something you can do.

As far as the Watson award is concerned, I would say to stray away from the gaming as the main focus. Due to the limitations you have, going for the Watson to look into Amputee technology (aka the robotic arm/hand and etc) and the like might benefit you more. It benefits you not just in gaming, but in your life.


Take Nothing For Granted, For Everything Changes.
shannn
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2891 Posts
September 23 2010 14:11 GMT
#20
Space is the only one I can think of myself like others have mentioned. He was surely one of the best UD's in wc3 I know off and had quite a high level of micro.
Other than that I think there aren't many disabled pro gamers I can think off. Atleast it isn't impossible to become pro so I wish you all of luck to achieve your dreams whether it's outside or with gaming.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=6321864 Epic post.
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 206
NeuroSwarm 166
FoxeR 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2506
Leta 1328
Bale 55
Other Games
summit1g7769
JimRising 560
WinterStarcraft284
ViBE153
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick695
BasetradeTV205
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 111
• Light_VIP 19
• davetesta18
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo411
Other Games
• Scarra1069
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 11m
Patches Events
12h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 11m
OSC
20h 11m
OSC
1d 9h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.