• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:13
CEST 00:13
KST 07:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)16Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8647 users

[H] As T, all on one hotkey or seperate? - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
Stow.Wif
Profile Joined April 2011
France67 Posts
April 05 2012 07:21 GMT
#41
The problem with all production on one hotkey is that while tabbing you get rax/fact/port in this order while you may want to queue tank/air before queuing your bio to ensure constant tank production (depending on your available ressources and on the matchup).

I often find myself hitting 5 (all production) then tab to get to the fact, then begin to queue using tab, thus doing one more keystroke.
Monkay
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany19 Posts
April 05 2012 07:22 GMT
#42
On April 05 2012 16:21 Stow.Wif wrote:
The problem with all production on one hotkey is that while tabbing you get rax/fact/port in this order while you may want to queue tank/air before queuing your bio to ensure constant tank production (depending on your available ressources and on the matchup).

I often find myself hitting 5 (all production) then tab to get to the fact, then begin to queue using tab, thus doing one more keystroke.


You need 2 presses less to see if you are producing or not
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
April 05 2012 07:33 GMT
#43
Putting all buildings in one hotkey is a bad way to keep tabs on production since you can't actually see how soon the unit will finish without clicking on one of the building's unit frames.

Saying that--I still put everything on one hotkey.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
Monkay
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany19 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 07:38:51
April 05 2012 07:38 GMT
#44
On April 05 2012 16:33 lorkac wrote:
Putting all buildings in one hotkey is a bad way to keep tabs on production since you can't actually see how soon the unit will finish without clicking on one of the building's unit frames.

Saying that--I still put everything on one hotkey.


If you hotkey more than 2 buildings to the same key you can't see the progression either, the benefit of all on one hotkey is that you see all your production at once and don't need to tab to see if you are producing or not.
polybios
Profile Joined December 2010
Czech Republic111 Posts
April 05 2012 09:01 GMT
#45
is there any specific reason to have army on 123, production on 456 and not the other way around?
Rannasha
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2398 Posts
April 05 2012 09:06 GMT
#46
On April 05 2012 18:01 polybios wrote:
is there any specific reason to have army on 123, production on 456 and not the other way around?


Only reasons I can imagine is that the important army-specific keys are closer to 123. For example: A and Shift, the two buttons you'll probably use the most for your army with the default hotkey setup.
Such flammable little insects!
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
April 05 2012 09:21 GMT
#47
I use one for each 5 CC 6 fact 7 starport 8 depot or barracks for ghosts like in TvP, 9 armory 10 ebay

if playing bio, i go 4 cc 5 rax 6 fact etc... with bio you don't need as many hotkeys, 1 for MMM 2 for ghost/viking 3 for ghost/viking, mech you need 1 for thor/ghost, 2 for hellion, 3 for tank, 4 for air army... or you can put thor and tank on 3 and just ghost on 1, or change it up, you can put viking on 3 with tanks and put banshee/raven with 1 for thors, 2 for hellion, 4 for ghost, etc. etc.

at least that's what I do
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
rikter
Profile Joined November 2010
United States352 Posts
April 05 2012 14:51 GMT
#48
Before I get into All on one hotkey vs multiple, there is something important that you guys are missing: You can re-map your control groups to other keys. Because seven and on are so hard to press, I have them mapped to letters that are closer. If you can't reach a key easily then you need to map it somewhere closer. I am making a separate post on this, which details what I think is the most efficient set-up possible: the Semi-grid.

As far as how I group my buildings, all my CC's are one group, all my unit making buildings are on another, upgrades are on a third. I prefer having all the production buildings on one key because 1) Its one button to see all the buildings and 2) Tabbing through your different building types serves as a reminder to produce units from them.

When I had the buildings separate keys I found that when things got hectic I had a harder time maintaining a proper composition because I wasn't hitting my cycles properly; some building or another might get missed so I'd wind up with a less than ideal army. With all buildings on one group, its easier to consider your total production; you can easily see with one click that a certain building isnt producing, instead of checking each group separately. I find this is especially helpful when youre building units that have significantly different build times. Basically, whenever you go to build a unit you also check on the other buildings, which can be a nice reminder for a newer player trying to stay on top of his macro, although the fact that it is very efficient makes it ideal for any player I think.
No one wants a box of shit, even if it is for Christmas.
Warzilla
Profile Joined December 2010
Czech Republic311 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 15:06:08
April 05 2012 15:02 GMT
#49
I find it good to have all production buildings in one hotkey when i perform destiny cloud fist build
"AFTER LOST GAME - I usually run around in circles yelling "WHY OH GOD WHY" in my room, pointing towards the sky. After 5 to 10min ,i get tired and go back to playing"
MasonosaM
Profile Joined October 2010
United States74 Posts
April 05 2012 15:45 GMT
#50
I started with 5cc 4 all production and then tried out 4 cc 5 rax 6 fact 7 star for a couple months to see what I liked better. It was nice to be able to rally a production facility where you wanted it separately, but I found myself making more mistakes in macro because I wasn't as precise because of the reach for 6/7. I went back to 5cc 4 production because i find it more ergonomic to macro. That being said I think something like 3cc 4/5/6 might have been the ticket, but 5cc 4 production words well enough for me.
X
Kiwiandapple
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium240 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 17:00:11
April 05 2012 15:45 GMT
#51
I myself use 4 for production structures; 1 for cc/upgrades, 2/3 for army 6/7/8 rehotkeyd for special groups/drops.

Aswell I rehotkey'd the production hotkey for marine and medivac to S. so i can go quickly truough my unit making 'route' by just hitting 4 SSS tab S tab SS (marine/tank/medivac)

this is all preference; i think Select doesn't even use 2/3 at all. just because its odd for his fingers. so just figure things out yourself.
Don't worry, that's halo!
Kiwiandapple
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium240 Posts
April 05 2012 15:49 GMT
#52
On April 06 2012 00:45 MasonosaM wrote:
I started with 5cc 4 all production and then tried out 4 cc 5 rax 6 fact 7 star for a couple months to see what I liked better. It was nice to be able to rally a production facility where you wanted it separately, but I found myself making more mistakes in macro because I wasn't as precise because of the reach for 6/7. I went back to 5cc 4 production because i find it more ergonomic to macro. That being said I think something like 3cc 4/5/6 might have been the ticket, but 5cc 4 production words well enough for me.


You can with all production on 1 hotkey still rally 1 structure by just hitting 4 then clicking on the building you want to rally elsewhere; i do this sometimes just for my starport; when i move out; set the medivacs to join while the rest just goes to my natural; so i get more medivacs into the fight while still fighting;
Don't worry, that's halo!
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
April 05 2012 19:23 GMT
#53
On April 05 2012 18:06 Rannasha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 05 2012 18:01 polybios wrote:
is there any specific reason to have army on 123, production on 456 and not the other way around?


Only reasons I can imagine is that the important army-specific keys are closer to 123. For example: A and Shift, the two buttons you'll probably use the most for your army with the default hotkey setup.

IMO, it's better to use 1234 for production because you're hitting buttons around that area more often then you are a-clicking. Plus hitting 5a (i keep my main army on 5, ghosts on 6) seems easier than 1a.
vorxaw
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada245 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 23:43:09
April 05 2012 23:42 GMT
#54
On April 01 2012 21:37 huehuehuehue wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 01 2012 21:23 Anthonie wrote:
On April 01 2012 21:18 ZenithM wrote:
I tried both and I prefer one hotkey with tab method. It helps you have a more instant look at your production imo. I have a tendency to tab to my production very fast between my move commands with my army, I couldn't do that with 3-4 different control groups. Plus MMA and MKP, my favorite Terrans, do this too, so it's all cool :D

Edit: I forgot one of the most important point also. It keeps your hand on the left side on your keyboard without forcing you to allocate 5-6-7 to buildings


Oooh! This was the decider for me. I also like having a more instant look at all my facilities, and MKP is my favorite terran too! So I'm convinced that this is a good strat. I'll try this from now on for a few games.

Also your edit was exactly was I meant. It feels like 6 and 7 off-center your hand too much.

Thanks ZenithM, your post helped a lot. ^^

EDIT: But it seems like a waste to not use hotkeys from 6 and on. Are those for extra army groups like drops and harassing?

Use them for ebays and drops then i guess. I prefer to have my buildings on different hotkeys, because imo it's easier to go 4y6y7y than 5taby5taby5taby.

well it would actually by 5ytabytaby same six key presses at 4y5y6y,
but i, like you, use the all separate method just because of the rally freedom,

for those that use grid, or modified grid, or dark grid, just make 6/7/8 into t/g/b, so your control groups wrap around so to speak,
T0fuuu
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Australia2275 Posts
April 06 2012 06:25 GMT
#55
You can make custom hotkeys. Theres no reason why you cant remap some keys and use `12345567 qw capslock
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE143
Nina 118
Nathanias 31
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16303
White-Ra 355
Artosis 197
ToSsGirL 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever345
NeuroSwarm100
League of Legends
Doublelift3398
Counter-Strike
fl0m1327
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox468
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1906
Liquid`Hasu1368
Trikslyr53
Other Games
summit1g6330
Grubby3387
ArmadaUGS1286
shahzam550
C9.Mang0237
JimRising 213
ZombieGrub51
Mew2King45
Railgan21
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV207
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream95
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 38
• davetesta21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 48
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1095
• Scarra1014
• Shiphtur265
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 47m
OSC
14h 47m
Stellar Fest
14h 47m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.