• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:04
CEST 11:04
KST 18:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10178 users

Laptop or Small Formfactor for Study Abroad?

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
drvugavich
Profile Joined February 2011
United States13 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-01 09:37:05
June 01 2011 09:31 GMT
#1
Hello, I'm going to be studying abroad in Japan starting September for about a year, and I'm faced with a tough decision: buy a gaming laptop, or build a small formfactor PC? My budget would be around $1,000-$1,500 (preferably $1,000) either way. The games I would be playing are SC2, D3, GW2, and BF3 (assuming these get released before I come back).

I've pretty familiar with computers, I've built one 5 years ago, but it's way too big to bring with me and I'll probably sell it for building this computer.

If I went the SFF route, I would use the Silverstone SG07B. It's one of the smallest cases I could find that could still fit a decent sized gfx card, and going onto a plane, size is important. Going with this case would mean I'd use a mini-ITX mobo, and as far as I know, there arent any out there that let you overclock, so I probably wont need an i5-2500K. Some things I wouldn't need would be an OS, keyboard, mouse, sound system, etc, just building the computer. I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to take a monitor with me, or buy one over there, and either sell it before I get back, or ship it back to my house (depending on which I do, I would have to factor this into the cost). My plan for a SFF would be:

-Case: Silverstone SG07B
-CPU: I5-2500k (or whatever the non OC version is to save a few bucks)
-RAM: 8 gigs
-Mobo: havent really decided, but there isn't a lot of choice here anyway
-GFX: ATI HD 6950 (not set in stone, could be something else)

If I went the laptop route, well I'm not too familiar with gaming laptops. For the same performance, I would probably have to pay more, which would be over budget which means to stay in budget, I would be getting something underpowered. However, with a laptop I would have more portability, such as being able to bring this on possible field trips or taking it to class or what have you.

Another problem is what happens when I get back. I was planning to upgrade my regular tower, but with this trip, I have to alter what I was going to build. If I bought a laptop, I would be justified in building another system (Fullsize computer with Ivybridge), but if I went with a formfactor computer, it would seem rather wasteful to build another computer that would probably be only marginally better. Even if I did build a fullsize system, I would still be stuck with 2 desktop computers for all intents and purposes. If I went the formfactor route I wouldn't have a laptop to bring to class once I got back since I recently sold my netbook. Another option, if I chose to go the SFF route would be to leave room for upgradability, such as getting an i5-2500k, considering SLI, etc., but I'd have to get a new mobo and case of course.

Which way would you recommend I go?
Onlinejaguar
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia2823 Posts
June 01 2011 10:15 GMT
#2
It depends what is more important to you, Portability or Performance. A laptop at the same price will def have subpar performance with the games you mentioned esp BF3.
QuackPocketDuck
Profile Joined January 2011
410 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-01 10:36:30
June 01 2011 10:34 GMT
#3
I would go with the 1.5k laptop :p and possibly consider getting a monitor while im there.
21' widescreens are pretty cheap or whatever u get wont cost too much to freight back to the states once your done

So you wont run games on Ultra settings for 1 year but still run games good and you end up with a decent laptop for other acitivities for few years
when you are back go ahead with the "super build"..

gl =]
I bought a pack of cigarettes for $20, What have you done for your country today?
deconduo
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Ireland4122 Posts
June 01 2011 13:15 GMT
#4
Depends on a few things. How much you want to game while over there, how much portability matters and how much you are willing to spend. Going with the i5-2550k + 6950 will mean you need to get a new case, PSU and motherboard when you get back. This will set you back another $150-$250 depending on what you want. However you can get a fair chunk of that back by selling the SG07B and the M-ITX motherboard on ebay/craigslist/whatever. The overall cost will be something around $1000 including windows. (I would advise using XP or a less legit version of windows on the M-ITX build as OEM versions are tied to the motherboard you are using. Use the proper license when you switch out for the full build)

If you buy a laptop for the same price it will be a lot more portable but a lot worse at game. A LOT worse.
Sporadic44
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States533 Posts
June 01 2011 14:08 GMT
#5
id go with the build simply for the excuse to make it myself.
also i bought a gaming laptop once, never again
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
mockturtle
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States220 Posts
June 01 2011 14:13 GMT
#6
The monitor is the rub. For intermittent traveling (as in moving every couple months or so) SFF is awesome but the monitor can be a pain in the ass. Tough to pack, tough to fit, etc. If you can buy a monitor where you're going and sell it when you leave, it will work out better.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 01 2011 17:05 GMT
#7
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4374/computex-2011-zotac-z68-miniitx-motherboards

Z68 mini-ITX, not sure it's out yet, but if you have the time to wait for it, might be a good option to let you OC.
pStar
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
996 Posts
June 01 2011 17:17 GMT
#8
Getting a laptop would be so much more useful in my opinion.

Having a laptop is just good in general for all sorts of needs.

tsmitho
Profile Joined April 2011
United States93 Posts
June 01 2011 17:18 GMT
#9
^^^^zotac makes good tiny mobos, I have one for my HTPC and it works great. they were also a sponsor of a sc tourney if i remember correctly.

I personnaly would go laptop though... you wouldnt be able to play on super high settings but you could still get decent settings enough to play atleast and its not a huge pain to travel with. also has multiple uses
drvugavich
Profile Joined February 2011
United States13 Posts
June 01 2011 18:09 GMT
#10
my question would be, would the performance a laptop offers, while less than that of a SFF, give adequate performance? If I can play at low settings with decent framerates, that would be good enough for me. That zotac mobo does look good, if I went SFF I would definitely get that, not in any rush to make a decision though, and with computex and the announcement of new optimus gfx, new laptops will be coming out, so it would be tough to choose one now. I'm kinda leaning towards a laptop simply because of the portability and because I still want to build a system when I get back home, really just concerned with the money I need to pay and how much performance I'll get from it.
Hikari
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
1914 Posts
June 01 2011 19:37 GMT
#11
If you can afford to shell out a little more $, both. You can then go ahead and buy the cheapest and lightest laptop/netbook you can find and use it for your mobile computing needs.

Gaming laptops are HEAVY. You will regret carrying one to lectures.

Go ahead with a gaming laptop if only you want a desktop replacement and would only be carrying it around on a infrequent basis/go to lan parties.

I also find a backpack-style carrying bag to be a lot more comfortable than a handheld/shoulder strap.
fiskrens
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden196 Posts
June 01 2011 19:48 GMT
#12
I'm not sure how bad traveling by plane with a stationary computer is. If it's not too bad, I would go with the stationary gaming computer and a really cheap laptop for studying. Perhaps you don't need one, but I wouldn't manage without a laptop while studying.
drvugavich
Profile Joined February 2011
United States13 Posts
June 02 2011 02:20 GMT
#13
seems like either way I go, laptop or SFF, I wont be bringing either to class due to gaming laptops weighing a ton. I guess getting a SFF and a smaller lighter laptop for classes would be a good compromise, but then theres the issue of the monitor. Should I take one with me, or buy one there? Also, does anyone have any experience with taking a computer (not laptop) on planes?
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
June 02 2011 05:35 GMT
#14
I'd go for the SFF and netbook for class.

I guess you have to evaluate how much you will actually use the laptop when you get back. If you don't see yourself using it on a regular basis, than the SFF will be a better buy in terms of performance for the dollar.

"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
drvugavich
Profile Joined February 2011
United States13 Posts
June 03 2011 00:46 GMT
#15
Sounds like thats what I should do, can anyone recommend a good netbook/lightweight laptop that can still play sc2 (even at lowest settings). Also, what should I do about a monitor, would you recommend I take one with me?
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-03 00:51:36
June 03 2011 00:50 GMT
#16
I'd say go with a laptop.

It's a lot more easy and SFF computers are usually kinda shitty anyway. You don't want to be running games with such a tight case, potential overheating problems etc.

You can always just buy a mouse and keyboard when ur over there, and even a screen, and plug them into your laptop at home. Then when you wanna take it sumwhere, you just unplug everything.

Seems way more awesomesauce to me

also, you can get laptops that can run those games that aren't big, bulky "Gaming" laptops. There's plenty of 15-inchers with decent gfx cards in them.
drvugavich
Profile Joined February 2011
United States13 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-03 06:39:04
June 03 2011 06:38 GMT
#17
The airflow on the case I'm going to get is quite good, and for the same price, the SFF would be better than a laptop. Also, in order to get the performance I need to play the higher end games I'm interested in such as GW2 and BF3, I would probably need one of those bulky gaming laptops
farahnaz783
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia1 Post
October 31 2011 10:22 GMT
#18
i am also going to japan for the study abroad purpose and i have a laptop whom i want to take with me because its necessary for me and also useful and thanks you share this post with us
webvigour
Profile Joined June 2015
1 Post
June 16 2015 11:11 GMT
#19
--- Nuked ---
Inex
Profile Joined October 2010
Bulgaria443 Posts
June 16 2015 17:55 GMT
#20
I built a mitx pc and it's a beast. If I wanted I could easily fit it in my hand luggage(cooler master 130 elite). With the rest of the money get a screen a tablet for school. When you get back upgrade the gpu and you're set. Laptops get too hot when gaming and performance for money is no where near that of a pc. I've had two gaming laptops I don't want to ever own one again.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 169
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 961
Mind 729
Larva 606
ggaemo 588
Stork 320
Leta 185
Bisu 158
PianO 150
Killer 45
Hyuk 34
[ Show more ]
Bale 25
yabsab 22
ZergMaN 21
Hm[arnc] 11
sorry 8
Dota 2
XcaliburYe219
League of Legends
JimRising 391
Reynor101
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1150
Other Games
summit1g10263
Mew2King143
ArmadaUGS66
crisheroes26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick501
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream188
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2347
League of Legends
• Stunt1252
• Jankos1066
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
56m
Online Event
1h 56m
FEL
6h 56m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 56m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 56m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
INu's Battles
1d 2h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.