• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:05
CEST 12:05
KST 19:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12473 users

Want to buy a Tablet (non-IPAD)

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
exalted
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
United States3612 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-31 17:45:42
May 30 2011 19:03 GMT
#1
I want to buy a shiny new tablet PC slightly smaller than the iPad2 but hopefully more capable and a better value.

I don't like iTunes, USB ports seem important, and Flash support is nice. I am in Taiwan right now so I shouldn't have to worry about contracts or anything. Budget is not an issue but I want value for the money spent.

Ascetically pleasing is a nice plus. I know one of the Ipad's strongest features is their vibrant, sensitive screen, so am hoping to hear recommendations that are competitive with what Apple has to offer. Thanks!

ninja edit: thread was moved to Tech forum, thanks!
too easy
Dalguno
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2446 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-30 19:22:05
May 30 2011 19:08 GMT
#2
My friend has the Motorola Xoom, and it's very sleek and efficient. I believe it does have Flash support, but it doesn't have USB ports (I don't know if many tablets do). Like said below, it does have a micro USB, but not a standard one for your general peripherals. It's pretty looking as well. It also has expandable memory, up to an extra 32 gig. Dual processor.

Motorola XOOM
"I'm gonna keep making drones cause I'm a baller, and ballers make drones." -Snute
Firepaw292
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada126 Posts
May 30 2011 19:20 GMT
#3
On May 31 2011 04:08 Dalguno wrote:
My friend has the Motorola Xoom, and it's very sleek and efficient. I believe it does have Flash support, but it doesn't have USB ports (I don't know if many tablets do). It's pretty looking as well. It also has expandable memory, up to an extra 32 gig. Dual processor.

Motorola XOOM


I own a Xoom wifi and it has a micro-usb on it
Enervate
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1769 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-30 19:38:56
May 30 2011 19:37 GMT
#4
The Xoom actually has a larger screen size than the ipad 2. It's shorter but longer. I don't think any tablets besides the 7 in Samsung Galaxy tab are smaller than the ipad 2, but I wouldn't recommend it as it hasn't been too well-received by reviews.

So you probably are going to have to settle for a tablet about the same size as an Ipad. Maybe you should look into the Asus eee pad transformer. It's cheaper than the ipad and has a keyboard accessory which might be useful. Also I think there are usb ports on the keyboard dock.

Oh actually, the Blackberry Playbook also has a 7 in screen. Again, I don't think it's worth buying though.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Asus is a taiwanese company so that should be easy for you to get.

If you wait a while, I think better tablets will be released soon, though.
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
May 30 2011 20:10 GMT
#5
I've heard good things about the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (?), it's more widescreen and just SLIGHTLY thinner than the iPad 2 IIRC. 500ish dollars I'm guessing...
:)
denzelz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States604 Posts
May 30 2011 20:15 GMT
#6
I've played with a Xoom in person at the local Staples. It is pretty sleek but slightly pricier than the iPad. Maybe you can drive down to your local store and take a look yourself.

The Galaxy Tab II is going out early June and is priced to be competitive with the iPads.
exalted
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
United States3612 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-31 17:46:25
May 31 2011 17:43 GMT
#7
The Galaxy Tab II looks promising - I like the Samsung brand. The Ipad is already pretty large so I don't think I would want something even larger than that. Portability is a big one for me. However, I also want the screen to be nice and big (with a very high resolution!). It annoys me how the sides of the tablets are so thick (could be more screen area), but I guess that's a constraint of current technology (and budget).
too easy
exalted
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
United States3612 Posts
June 01 2011 22:47 GMT
#8
Small bump - should I be waiting for new models to come out this summer?
too easy
Zeke50100
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2220 Posts
June 01 2011 23:05 GMT
#9
Have you considered getting a Nook? I'm not exactly sure on the specifications, although my friend has one and it is much smaller (relatively) than the iPad: http://cdn.devicemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ipad_nook_kindle.jpg

The Nook is on the far right.

It's technically an e-reader, but there you can easily hack it for more than just books.
sYstim
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada161 Posts
June 02 2011 08:07 GMT
#10
get a playbook and watch justin tv and gomtv, nuff said
also its smaller than ipad
Zeddicus
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States239 Posts
June 07 2011 16:13 GMT
#11
I've almost convinced myself to get a tablet as well, and one of the most common things I will do is watch SC2. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I was at a Best Buy last night checking their selection out. I picked up the various models they had on display, and the only one to actually play a justin.tv stream was the HTC one, but I don't think I want that one, it seemed pretty slow and choppy, so that kind of turned me off. Also, it was small. Does anyone have a smaller table and watch sc2? Can you see supply and resource numbers and that sort of thing? The one nice thing I saw about the HTC was it had a stylus type pen, so I could use that instead of my fat fingers to try to choose 240p or 360p quality...

I couldn't figure out the playbook, it had Need for Speed running, and I couldn 't figure out how to exit it, but from what I hear that should be able to run a Justin.tv stream as is. I'd kind of like either iOS or Android OS though, for the apps, but I guess in the end, It'll be mostly an internet tablet which the playbook would do fine with.

I would probably be all over the xoom, that looked really nice. It had tabbed browsing, was big enough that I think it wouldn't be any problem seeing little details in streams. It just couldn't play the JTV stream

Has anyone had experience with both a small tablet like HTC sized and bigger like iPad or Xoom? Do you prefer the portability or the size? I've always had a 17" laptop that's huge and don't mind it, so I'd probably be happier with a larger tablet.

Any other thoughts on choosing one?
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 244
ProTech40
StarCraft: Brood War
Mind 1178
Bisu 822
Horang2 709
Larva 612
Hyuk 560
Leta 205
Sexy 114
Zeus 107
EffOrt 100
PianO 79
[ Show more ]
Mini 78
Soma 76
Pusan 48
ZerO 39
Killer 37
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 25
sorry 25
Hm[arnc] 22
yabsab 19
Trap 9
JulyZerg 7
Noble 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe444
XaKoH 335
League of Legends
JimRising 328
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1250
Other Games
gofns34709
singsing1299
crisheroes212
Mew2King142
ArmadaUGS51
ZerO(Twitch)3
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick588
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream168
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 38
• LUISG 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 6717
• lizZardDota2318
League of Legends
• Jankos1167
• Stunt989
Upcoming Events
Online Event
56m
FEL
5h 56m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 56m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 56m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 56m
INu's Battles
1d 1h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.