• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:06
CEST 12:06
KST 19:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6752 users

How interested would you be in watching competitive SC2 wi…

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
TL.net Bot
Profile Joined June 2004
TL.net140 Posts
August 12 2024 20:47 GMT
#1
Discussion thread for front page poll: "How interested would you be in watching competitive SC2 without the ESL and GSL tours?"
CicadaSC
Profile Joined January 2018
United States2010 Posts
August 12 2024 21:03 GMT
#2
Why would I watch it without the big tourneys? The pro players would quit especially in Korea where they can't even stream on twitch.
Remember that we all come from a place of passion!!
Balnazza
Profile Joined January 2018
Germany1367 Posts
August 12 2024 21:58 GMT
#3
Without the big money tours (and offline finals), a lot of the current pro-scene would either die out or stop practicing as much. The game would probably devolve into what WC3 is currently, with just a very select handful of players basically playing every tournament that dedicated streamer like Wardi put together.
Those who can live from streaming will probably keep up some level of skill, but it wouldn't be nearly as high as it is today.
"Wenn die Zauberin runter geht, dann macht sie die Beine breit" - Khaldor, trying to cast WC3 German-only
TL+ Member
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-08-12 22:28:58
August 12 2024 22:28 GMT
#4
I'm happy to follow a Starcraft competition if there's enough structure and stability to create a narrative I can get excited about (for something outside ESL/GSL see WTL obviously).
The level of competition is not hugely important to me, so pro players becoming part-timers isn't much of a problem. High-level Starcraft can be very fun even if the players aren't quite as sharp as before and I'm not sure I can see the difference anyway if I'm honest.

But if GSL or ESL end, I would probably not replace those with smaller ''one-off'' online events or weekly the likes of which Wardi or others are organizing. I have nothing against those, but nowadays I need something more than just Starcraft 2 to commit a lot of hours to watching.

If the scene is just grinding online tournaments I'll tune in once in a while because I obviously like watching SC2, but probably not as intensely as I've done in the last decade or so.
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
sidasf
Profile Joined February 2023
108 Posts
August 12 2024 22:54 GMT
#5
If ESL drops SC2, the pro scene will completely die, as will viewership. There will be nothing left to watch. Most of our beloved SC2 pros will stop playing, the skill levels will drop, it will be nothing left but a few low level locally funded tournaments where people are drinking beer and bsing. Nothing like the thrilling high stakes tournaments we have now. I truly hope ESL can fund SC2 for another year or two, especially with players like Trap and Rogue coming back.
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13022 Posts
August 12 2024 23:02 GMT
#6
I wouldn't watch sc2 without the KR scene, so I will probably just stop watching sc2 unless some "big" tournaments happen.
WriterMaru
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
August 12 2024 23:44 GMT
#7
Depends entirely on what replaces it, who sticks around etc.

I still enjoy watching WC3, sure it’s past its peak but you’ve still got legends going at it in impactful matches.

If SC2 downsizes, but a good chunk of these players we’ve watched for years stick around, maybe a few new names crop up, well worth a watch even if it’s a bit smaller.

If basically everyone moves on to pastures new and it’s a case of watching which prior B/C tier players end up King/Queen of the new pile, I’m not crazy interested in that.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33707 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-08-13 04:02:37
August 13 2024 02:48 GMT
#8
On August 13 2024 08:44 WombaT wrote:
Depends entirely on what replaces it, who sticks around etc.

I still enjoy watching WC3, sure it’s past its peak but you’ve still got legends going at it in impactful matches.

If SC2 downsizes, but a good chunk of these players we’ve watched for years stick around, maybe a few new names crop up, well worth a watch even if it’s a bit smaller.

If basically everyone moves on to pastures new and it’s a case of watching which prior B/C tier players end up King/Queen of the new pile, I’m not crazy interested in that.


I'd also find a War3-sized scene to still be enjoyable, but I do wonder if top SC2 players are less likely to stick around because they came up in a scene that was VERY well supported financially and have their expectations anchored quite high.
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Blitzball04
Profile Joined June 2024
191 Posts
August 13 2024 05:29 GMT
#9
I watch the big tournaments. Saudi ones

Don’t really care for the KR scene for years.

I’m okay with just the ESL scene and their quarterly big tournaments such as dreamhack etc.
radracer
Profile Joined March 2020
United States77 Posts
August 13 2024 05:52 GMT
#10
Game is straight dead if GSL is gone. Just the ESL/Euros would be boring AF
old
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7424 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-08-13 06:46:50
August 13 2024 06:46 GMT
#11
If GSL ends but is kinda replaced with ESL Asia or something, I would still watch.
If ESL ends there would be nothing left. We had some good times and I'll always cherish the memories <3
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
MJG
Profile Joined May 2018
United Kingdom1451 Posts
August 13 2024 06:47 GMT
#12
I'd probably still be watching if the only competition left was Rotterdam's Big Brain Bouts.

Unless another game comes along that captures my imagination like this one, I don't see why I wouldn't.
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
luxon
Profile Joined August 2012
United States117 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-08-13 07:19:12
August 13 2024 07:18 GMT
#13
ive been watching since 2010 and i'll stop when the korean scene disappears. maybe when the pro scene drops to 4.6k on NA, i'll go pro
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
August 13 2024 08:01 GMT
#14
On August 13 2024 11:48 Waxangel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 13 2024 08:44 WombaT wrote:
Depends entirely on what replaces it, who sticks around etc.

I still enjoy watching WC3, sure it’s past its peak but you’ve still got legends going at it in impactful matches.

If SC2 downsizes, but a good chunk of these players we’ve watched for years stick around, maybe a few new names crop up, well worth a watch even if it’s a bit smaller.

If basically everyone moves on to pastures new and it’s a case of watching which prior B/C tier players end up King/Queen of the new pile, I’m not crazy interested in that.


I'd also find a War3-sized scene to still be enjoyable, but I do wonder if top SC2 players are less likely to stick around because they came up in a scene that was VERY well supported financially and have their expectations anchored quite high.

Aye, I guess plenty of these folks do love the game so might stick around even if it’s to just play part-time for tournies and stuff. Maybe wouldn’t be quite as high a standard in terms of gameplay, but sometimes that’s not actually the most watchable as a spectacle.

They’re very talented RTS players after all, we still haven’t seen too many top players migrate elsewhere, but even that next tier down (or even lower) were pretty immediately competitive in other recent titles.

If SC2 downsizes further, but still has a bit of money floating around my guess would be the top guys will stick around, or if not, just retire from competitive gaming and do something else.

Plenty of maybes there I suppose
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Balnazza
Profile Joined January 2018
Germany1367 Posts
August 13 2024 09:55 GMT
#15
On August 13 2024 11:48 Waxangel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 13 2024 08:44 WombaT wrote:
Depends entirely on what replaces it, who sticks around etc.

I still enjoy watching WC3, sure it’s past its peak but you’ve still got legends going at it in impactful matches.

If SC2 downsizes, but a good chunk of these players we’ve watched for years stick around, maybe a few new names crop up, well worth a watch even if it’s a bit smaller.

If basically everyone moves on to pastures new and it’s a case of watching which prior B/C tier players end up King/Queen of the new pile, I’m not crazy interested in that.


I'd also find a War3-sized scene to still be enjoyable, but I do wonder if top SC2 players are less likely to stick around because they came up in a scene that was VERY well supported financially and have their expectations anchored quite high.


I think expectations is definetly a thing. WC3 always had big offline events, but the most part of it was randomly thrown together online tournaments and team leagues, so the scene never was used to something like a GSL or the EWC. Hell, without consistent video-streaming at the time, we often didn't even really get to see some of the bigger tournaments or enjoy the storylines like we do in SC2.
Another example is Age of Empires 2. The game got carried for ten+ years by its community alone, everything was "crowd-made". Only in the last few years have there been offline tournaments and bigger online tourneys, since Microsoft and Redbull throw in some bucks. But if Redbull would stop that for example, the scene would be completly fine - because the fans are not used to having multiple offline events per year.

SC2 fans are "spoiled" that way. A year without offline events wouldn't be fine, it would mean doomsday. And without ESL, there would probably be a sizeable gap before figures of the community raise up to organize their own tournaments again and fill the calendar.

There was also the thing that when WC3 as a top-dog ended, the biggest reason for it was SC2 itself, there was something to jump ship to - something that immediately offered a lot more money aswell. I don't see that at the moment.
"Wenn die Zauberin runter geht, dann macht sie die Beine breit" - Khaldor, trying to cast WC3 German-only
TL+ Member
baldgye
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom1114 Posts
August 13 2024 10:20 GMT
#16
For me, I don't mind, but if the scene is going this route I hope that more tournaments become more relaxed and allow and encorage more players to cast alongside the casters.


Honestly one of the issues I have with most of the middle of the road tournaments and events, is the casting.
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
August 13 2024 10:48 GMT
#17
What would even be left? If there were no replacements, the scene would be definitively dead. I'd probably spend more time watching BW though.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
August 14 2024 22:45 GMT
#18
I'll keep watching SC2 until it's completely gone. Without ESL/GSL it would be pretty lackluster though.
radracer
Profile Joined March 2020
United States77 Posts
August 15 2024 03:44 GMT
#19
Between it being a mostly 2 race game, the KR scene dwindling, so goes my interest. I still tune in for the big stuff, but usually turn it off if it goes into purely a T & Z game. Can only watch the same thing over and over so many times.
old
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17928 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-08-15 15:31:38
August 15 2024 15:20 GMT
#20
i will watch competitive SC2 forever. I find SC2LInks.com makes watching competitive SC2 very convenient. I highly recommend both TL.Net and SC2Links.com as great ways to conveniently and quickly keep up with the competitive scene.
On August 15 2024 07:45 SoleSteeler wrote:
I'll keep watching SC2 until it's completely gone. Without ESL/GSL it would be pretty lackluster though.

When it dies you can always watch EA NHL '94 competitive events! There is a big one in Toronto in late September. The last one sold out and had people hanging off the rafters.

I think competitive SC2 will keep going until Microsoft pulls the plug.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings38
CranKy Ducklings SOOP17
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 174
ByuN 12
SHIN 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 10177
Rain 3264
soO 599
Stork 415
Soulkey 382
BeSt 358
Soma 346
Rush 288
firebathero 227
Britney 192
[ Show more ]
Barracks 120
Sexy 58
Shinee 55
Mind 47
FanTaSy 43
Killer 33
Sharp 26
Shine 21
HiyA 21
sorry 21
Sacsri 17
Hm[arnc] 16
hero 14
Terrorterran 13
yabsab 12
zelot 10
Noble 8
scan(afreeca) 3
Dota 2
Gorgc6067
League of Legends
JimRising 430
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King106
Other Games
gofns38934
singsing1257
Pyrionflax211
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV228
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 61
• Sammyuel 45
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV214
League of Legends
• Jankos3384
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
4h 54m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 54m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 54m
OSC
12h 54m
OSC
1d 1h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.