• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:14
CEST 20:14
KST 03:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8501 users

SSLT/Starving Camels Q&A: "Everyone else underestimated us…

Forum Index > SC2 General
3 CommentsPost a Reply
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-09-26 10:18:34
September 26 2023 06:06 GMT
#1
The Starving Camels (瘦死骆驼) gave the fans a a fantastic show during the last World Team League season, going from relegation candidates to winning their first ever match in the playoffs. The Camels joined TL.net's Nakajin for a Q&A, giving some answers that shined a surprisingly pragmatic light on their historic season.

Thanks to digmouse for facilitating this interview and providing translations!

*This interview was conducted in August, shortly after the WTL Summer Season ended. Firefly's move to Platinum Heroes was not publicly announced at the time of this interview.

Most TL.net users know you mostly through your WTL performances. Tell us a bit about yourselves and how you ended up getting into competitive SC2.

Toodming: I’m a professional StarCraft and StarCraft 2 player, my name is 黄慧明 Huang Huiming, also known as TooDming. I started my career in StarCraft in 2005, turned pro in 2008, transitioned to SC2 in 2011.

Silky: Hi, I’m Silky, playing as “vvvvv” starting from next season. I started playing SC1 when I was in mid school, and started to play in offline events in 2013.

Cyan: Hi, I’m Cyan. Playing games has been a passion for me since I was a kid, I happened to have the chance to go pro after making a name in SC2 so I went for it. Especially that TooDming helped me grow a lot when we were teammates at team ZoO.

You guys really surprised a lot of foreign fans with your performance. How do you rate the season? Did you outperform expectations?

Toodming: All in all I think we did what we expected. I think it’s not really that we did exceptionally well, more because everyone else underestimated us greatly. This is a long league, luck really isn’t a huge factor. Saying our victories were won on merit is a bit of a stretch, but can’t pin it on luck either. It’s the underestimation that won us the opportunity. If everyone played to their best abilities I think we would have a tough time making it to the playoffs. The final result feels OK to me, I didn't take it for granted, but I don’t consider it outside of our expectations either.

Silky: I didn’t capitalize on having weaker opponents in a few matches so there were things I could’ve done better. Finishing 7th was a team effort, I think it’s about what we should be finishing.

Cyan: I would only consider myself doing alright. Lost a lot of 2-0s, and a few matches where I should’ve won. But I gave all that I have, now that I need to put a lot more time into my family and child. At least I wasn’t dragging everyone down. We didn’t go a bit further so all of it was the bare minimum. I think we had the ability to go further.

You guys were the first all-Chinese team to reach the playoff of the WTL, do you think it will inspire more players in China to dedicate time to SC2?

Toodming: Not really. You can’t sustain playing as a pro based on these inspirations alone. Even if it helps, it would really only push them more into the negative side. For this game, if you are in, you are in. If you aren’t motivated, you’ll leave quickly. This is a game where winning and losing can have a huge effect on you; Not many people can take this kind of emotional rollercoaster, especially now that normal life is getting better. Practicing SC2 in China simply isn’t something that’s super worth it.

Silky: I think StarCraft is a game where you’d always see improvement by practicing. Maybe our success from keeping at it could encourage newer players.

Oliveira has been the king of the Chinese region for a while, who on SSLT has the best shot at dethroning him?

TooDming: Depends on who is more confident that day. It’s about that, I think.

Silky: No, he is the king.

Cyan: Has to be Firefly.

Why 'Starving Camels'? Is there a fun story behind the name?

TooDming: There is an old Chinese saying 瘦死的骆驼比马大 (“A starving camel is still larger than a horse”). Our players are all older, so we get underestimated a lot. A starving camel fits us, even if we aren’t at our prime any more, we still have the force of a camel.

Silky: We are all players that have been playing for a long time.

Which victory do you think was the most important for you and the team this season?

TooDming: Nothing of note for the most important. The league is always changing, so I never thought any match was particularly important. If I have to pick one it’s probably the last round, and it’s not even our match, that would be the direct competitors’ match that would decide whether we advance or not.

Silky: The one where my ten ultras stomped through ByuN.

Cyan: For me personally it’s the win against ABYDOS. For the team, forcing BASILISK to Ace.

How did the team strategize and prepare for WTL matches? Do you think you had an advantage compared to other teams?

Toodming: I just practice against the AI thinking about possible scenarios, or a few customs.

Silky: I would go to YouTube or Twitch looking for their matches and streams, but they won’t be able to find ours so that’s an advantage.

Cyan: We would discuss and practice in customs. We don’t have a language barrier and know each other well, so we can come up with a lot of ideas.

How is the Chinese Starcraft 2 scene at the moment? We've heard a lot about the closing of the Chinese servers, how do you guys practice since then?

Toodming: It’s hard to describe, as the situation is different for everyone. Chinese players generally all practice on Asian servers anyway so the shutdown doesn’t affect us, but for lower ranked and custom/arcade players it’s a huge blow. My only time playing on the Chinese server would be screwing around with lower ranked friends, it’s probably a convenience to me that way.

Silky: No idea really. There weren’t many domestic tournaments besides WTL even before the shutdown, for us players practicing has always been on Asian servers, so it’s not that different.

Cyan: It’s a lot less efficient practicing on Korean servers, so mostly it’s on EU fighting against high latency. I’d look for customs whenever I have the chance.

For Team Manager: Are you trying to use this season's success to get more support/sponsors and keep the team together? Or are you happy if players can use this opportunity to sign with other teams?

Firefly moved to Platinum Heroes already. Sponsorship is kind of random so we're not putting a lot of hope on it, just trying. We’d continue with or without one, it’s mostly depending on what the players are doing. If everyone finds a place to go, the team would be no more.

For Toodming: We've seen you play for many years, but despite being an older veteran you've gotten some strong victories this season. Do you think your experience was an asset against younger adversaries like Trigger or Spatz?

The advantage of experience definitely is a factor, but it really doesn’t matter if I’m weaker than them. If everything comes down to experience I would be winning every match, heh.

For Silky: You have shown some very sharp aggressive builds throughout many seasons of WTL. How do you prepare for matches when your opponents know about your reputation?

Under this meta, unless it’s certain maps that warrant it, playing early game aggression is really not the way to go, as a Zerg cheesing is pretty hard now. In fact I won my games off defensive play and macro, so I will continue improving my fundamentals. Of course if there is something that can work, I’d also try them.

For Cyan: Throughout the years you've played in many versions of the SCBOY Team League. How does it feel to find success with this specific team of all-Chinese players? How does it compare to past experiences?

It’s bittersweet, more on the bitter side. If we had this kind of environment five, six years ago we might see more and better Chinese players... But maybe it was those kinds of experiences that made us. Going through with everything being a smooth ride was cool, but that wasn’t our life. It’s also a nice feeling to make something work amid difficulties.

For Cyan: You've competed opposite to IG for almost a decade, how does it feel to finally overtake them as the undisputed best Chinese team?

Nothing really. I haven’t paid attention to them since iAsonu retired.

For Firefly: You had one of the best performances out of any protoss in the league, beating players like Lambo, Spirit, Reynor, and Maru. Do you think that there's something with WTL that make you play your best or would you say those results are on par with your level these days?

It’s exactly because of WTL that gave me the opportunity to play like this. I don’t think I could win against them otherwise!

For Firefly: You made a lot of foreign fans this season but we've yet to see you play at an offline event outside of China. If you can't get the ESL/DreamHack seed, will you try to compete in other international events anyway? (GSL, HomeStory Cup etc).

I would definitely play abroad if given the chance. I will try as hard as I can for ESL seeds.

For Firefly: You displayed some very impressive maturity and control on your nerves all season long against top opponents. Do you get nervous when you have to play a top player like Maru, or do you play better under pressure?

Of course, a lot of times I was playing under pressure and tried not to let them get to me.


World Team League Winter will begin on September 29th.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
yht9657
Profile Joined December 2016
1810 Posts
September 26 2023 10:15 GMT
#2
Great interview, it's very interesting to have some insight into these players since they normally get very little exposure even in the Chinese community.
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-09-26 10:18:13
September 26 2023 10:18 GMT
#3
On September 26 2023 19:15 yht9657 wrote:
Great interview, it's very interesting to have some insight into these players since they normally get very little exposure even in the Chinese community.


ask digmouse to post the CN original interview on the SCBOY forums maybe? Prolly gonna be a lot better than triple-translating these questions/answers back again
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
digmouse
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
China6331 Posts
September 26 2023 11:00 GMT
#4
Yeah I don't have the original text with me at the moment, will do that later.
TranslatorIf you want to ask anything about Chinese esports, send me a PM or follow me @nerddigmouse.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2434
RotterdaM784
TaKeTV 326
IndyStarCraft 191
BRAT_OK 84
ZombieGrub78
SteadfastSC25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2434
RotterdaM 784
ByuN 363
IndyStarCraft 191
MaxPax 178
RuFF_SC2 111
BRAT_OK 84
ZombieGrub78
UpATreeSC 58
SteadfastSC 25
MindelVK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3249
Shuttle 732
Mini 442
EffOrt 396
Dewaltoss 158
910 76
Mind 74
HiyA 65
Zeus 64
hero 56
[ Show more ]
sorry 21
Bale 20
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 14
zelot 10
scan(afreeca) 8
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
qojqva3572
Counter-Strike
fl0m5687
pashabiceps991
Fnx 627
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3678
Liquid`Hasu1
Other Games
singsing2105
Beastyqt712
ceh9705
mouzStarbuck256
XaKoH 124
C9.Mang0118
QueenE64
Trikslyr56
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV231
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 117
• StrangeGG 45
• Reevou 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV348
Other Games
• imaqtpie743
• Shiphtur289
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
4h 46m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 46m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
16h 46m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.