• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:26
CEST 08:26
KST 15:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9294 users

Why is Serral called Serral?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Quincel
Profile Joined August 2012
119 Posts
April 19 2020 20:16 GMT
#1
I've been wondering this for a while and assumed a quick TL forum/Liquipedia search would reveal the answer, but I can't find it*. How did Serral choose his name?

*(This may just be a reflection on my searching skills.)
Hiisi
Profile Joined November 2018
14 Posts
April 19 2020 20:23 GMT
#2
Well its not like every nickname has some special meaning or story behind it. I have no clue why serral chose that name.
tigon_ridge
Profile Joined March 2019
482 Posts
April 19 2020 21:22 GMT
#3
Serral has said before that it has no particular meaning. He picked it at the same time he and his brother (Protosser) started playing sc brood war.
Quincel
Profile Joined August 2012
119 Posts
April 19 2020 21:28 GMT
#4
On April 20 2020 06:22 tigon_ridge wrote:
Serral has said before that it has no particular meaning. He picked it at the same time he and his brother (Protosser) started playing sc brood war.


Cheers, I knew he had to have been asked about it at some point. It's a great name, I'm going to steal it for my next cat.
nadavu
Profile Joined February 2014
44 Posts
April 19 2020 21:42 GMT
#5
It's Finnish for goat
UnLarva
Profile Joined March 2019
458 Posts
April 20 2020 07:06 GMT
#6
Little Joona took that name because it sounded good in his ears. It was just cool sounding name to him at age, what, when he has 11-12 years old. There was no particular meaning behind the name, or any deep going reasons for the choice then.

However, in a future entries of the history of esports the name will have certain meaning.
Part-time Serralogist
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2014 Posts
April 20 2020 07:50 GMT
#7
It sounds like a mix between Serious and Ferral. Good enough for me.
Buff the siegetank
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
April 20 2020 10:30 GMT
#8
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.

'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19393 Posts
April 20 2020 12:56 GMT
#9
On April 20 2020 19:30 Wombat_NI wrote:
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.


I was taking a stroll in the alley behind MBCGame studio when I saw a handsome man taking out the trash. Something about the large bags he was carrying seemed off. I waited till he returned and when I walked up to the dumpster and looked inside it was filled with bodies. One body had a toe tag and in the pale moonlight I could just barely make out, "March 3rd, 2007 R.I.P."
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Akio
Profile Blog Joined January 2019
Finland1838 Posts
April 20 2020 13:57 GMT
#10
On April 20 2020 19:30 Wombat_NI wrote:
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.


But picking an animal like a wombat for your nick has a good unique flavor to it, it's not tryharding by throwing a dart at a wildlife predator issue of National Geographic.

I chose mine by looking at my birth certificate.
Mine gas, build tanks.
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
April 20 2020 16:48 GMT
#11
On April 20 2020 19:30 Wombat_NI wrote:
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.


I was in Combat-EX's clan but the whole shitshow happened with him ~2009 (him v. Chill still my favorite series in all of BW) and I dropped the EX off when making a new account. But I was also 13 so I thought clan tags were cool, so I just made up a new clan tag and slapped it on.
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
catplanetcatplanet
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
3837 Posts
April 20 2020 19:28 GMT
#12
On April 20 2020 19:30 Wombat_NI wrote:
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.


I got mine from this video (I was 13, cut me some slack). Years later I found out there was an extremely questionable anime with a similar name and I've been moderately embarrassed ever since, but the_templar or kadaverbb smacked my alt account once so I've lived with my regrets ever since.
I think it's finally time to admit it might not be the year of Pet
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
April 20 2020 19:29 GMT
#13
On April 21 2020 04:28 catplanetcatplanet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2020 19:30 Wombat_NI wrote:
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.


I got mine from this video (I was 13, cut me some slack). Years later I found out there was an extremely questionable anime with a similar name and I've been moderately embarrassed ever since, but the_templar or kadaverbb smacked my alt account once so I've lived with my regrets ever since.

uwu
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
catplanetcatplanet
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
3837 Posts
April 20 2020 20:23 GMT
#14
On April 21 2020 04:29 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2020 04:28 catplanetcatplanet wrote:
On April 20 2020 19:30 Wombat_NI wrote:
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.


I got mine from this video (I was 13, cut me some slack). Years later I found out there was an extremely questionable anime with a similar name and I've been moderately embarrassed ever since, but the_templar or kadaverbb smacked my alt account once so I've lived with my regrets ever since.

uwu

wtf! leave me alone sentinel, back to the blog section with you!

Jk. How ya doin old buddy. Let's watch cat planet cuties together, loop in ninazerg and epishade too
I think it's finally time to admit it might not be the year of Pet
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
April 20 2020 21:04 GMT
#15
On April 21 2020 01:48 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2020 19:30 Wombat_NI wrote:
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.


I was in Combat-EX's clan but the whole shitshow happened with him ~2009 (him v. Chill still my favorite series in all of BW) and I dropped the EX off when making a new account. But I was also 13 so I thought clan tags were cool, so I just made up a new clan tag and slapped it on.

I couldn’t use my Wombat tag on Twitter so I used Wombat-Ex which my Starcraft buddies thought amusing at the time, although the reference doesn’t make much sense to other people
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Wintex
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Norway16849 Posts
April 20 2020 21:36 GMT
#16
On April 21 2020 04:28 catplanetcatplanet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2020 19:30 Wombat_NI wrote:
Probably not worth an OP by itself but wonder why other users all you fine TLers chose your nicks?

I do use a others but Wombat I chose as a youngster and largely stuck with it since. As a youngling we didn’t have the internet so would occasionally go into the BBC where my dad worked to browse this new exciting thing in the mid 90s. Their work machine passwords rotated across Australian animals and wombat just stuck with me. Such a cool sounding animal surely must be badass right?

We got home internet and my first online experiences not too long after and despite discovering that wombats were not nearly as cool as my imagination had lead me to believe I stuck with it.

Also disillusioning was to discover my star sign of libra, which surely had to be some cool mythical creature, was actually a pair of fucking scales.


I got mine from this video (I was 13, cut me some slack). Years later I found out there was an extremely questionable anime with a similar name and I've been moderately embarrassed ever since, but the_templar or kadaverbb smacked my alt account once so I've lived with my regrets ever since.

cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet

catplanetcatplanet's a fine id, I stole mine from my cousin, who wanted us all to have something something -tex as names. No shame.
The Bomber boy
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-04-20 23:20:35
April 20 2020 23:19 GMT
#17
This name was chosen somewhat at random.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10872 Posts
April 21 2020 05:03 GMT
#18
On April 20 2020 16:50 Slydie wrote:
It sounds like a mix between Serious and Ferral. Good enough for me.

Nice word combo lol
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
April 23 2020 09:19 GMT
#19
On April 21 2020 08:19 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
This name was chosen somewhat at random.

Really? Would never have believed!

Catdog are one conjoined creature right? Is Danger Mouse just bolted on in addition to that?
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
April 23 2020 23:11 GMT
#20
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P_versus_NP_problem

What can I say, I'm not very imaginative.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 315
sorry 78
Mind 67
Bale 29
ZergMaN 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm201
League of Legends
JimRising 703
Other Games
summit1g7952
Coldzera 722
WinterStarcraft664
C9.Mang0314
Sick176
febbydoto19
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick707
BasetradeTV161
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2188
League of Legends
• Rush1477
Other Games
• Shiphtur690
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
3h 34m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
5h 34m
AI Arena Tournament
10h 34m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
12h 34m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.