• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:24
CEST 14:24
KST 21:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9791 users

[Interview] Probe on going full-time pro, the importance o…

Forum Index > SC2 General
9 CommentsPost a Reply
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
January 24 2018 16:04 GMT
#1
After establishing himself as Australia's #1 player in 2017, Probe has decided to take it up a notch by taking a break from university to go full-time pro in WCS 2018. TeamLiquid.net chatted with Probe ahead of WCS Leipzig, talking to him about his deep connection with the LAN scene and his thoughts on playing StarCraft II full-time.

*This interview has been edited and condensed.


[image loading]

Photo: Jennika Ojala


Wax: First off, could you introduce yourself for those who might not be familiar with you?

Probe: Hey guys, my ID is Probe, I'm a Protoss player from Australia representing Legacy Esports.

Others might also add the title of best Australian StarCraft II player. What do you think about that?

At this point you probably can't argue with that after my results overseas in 2017. Last year I actually only won one WCS Australia/New Zealand (ANZ) season. In two others I won the winners bracket, but would go on to lose the grand final. So it was only with me doing well overseas—making RO16 twice on the WCS Circuit—where I differentiated myself from (T)Seither and (T)iaguz. Still, though, I can be a bit inconsistent, so if I have an off day then I can still definitely lose to the other top ANZ players. This year I want to further the gap and solidify that title.

What's your journey through competitive StarCraft been like? From what I gather, you were a guy who started off going to LANs for fun, but somehow ended up balancing competitive SC2/school to become a top player in your country.

Yeah, I just started playing the game for fun in early 2012. I signed up for online tournaments on SC2SEA.com and went to a few local Melbourne LANs. In 2013 I would have been NA GrandMaster I think?—definitely high masters—and started attending Australian Cyber League (ACL) events. These were sort of like Australia's mini MLGs. Then in 2014 and 2015 I just kept playing the game while somewhat balancing it with high school. My parents would definitely say I could have put a lot more effort into school, but I got through with really good marks and got into the university course I wanted. In terms of competitive StarCraft II, it was the end of 2015 that saw me win the last ever ACL event, and take my first overseas StarCraft trip to that first LotV Dreamhack Winter.

Was there ever a point where you made a conscious decision to play 'more seriously,' or did this entire process kind of happen naturally?

I just loved the game, so I just played it a lot and then found myself making money. If there is any point, it's this year, where I am taking some time of university to travel lots and play full-time. I'll be spending time at the ROOT house over the next coming months. Hopefully will go to Korea at some point as well. I really need to thank CatZ for letting me stay there, it really means a lot to me.

Do you have any expectations on where that will lead you? If I recall correctly, (T)Polt went down a similar path, thinking pro StarCraft II would just be a brief excursion from school to try out something he really enjoyed. But it ended up spiraling into something else entirely.

No idea really. I have every intention of returning to university and finishing my degree. I want to give this a try, and I don't think I'll have any proper motivation to study unless I try and fail, or try and see that it isn't for me. Not that I was failing my course by any means, but I feel like I should be taking it seriously, which just wasn't going to be the case this year.

You can't get on with "the rest of your life" until you know you've given this esports thing a real shot, for better or for worse?

Yeah, essentially. I think it will also give me great experiences and life lessons that will hopefully mature me up.

Do you have a particular attachment to the LAN scene? From your beginnings there, to your own personal organizing efforts, to Cheeseadelphia 6 not long ago, it seems like you've been more involved than most.

I believe that LANs are the most important part of the scene. Online tournaments are good and all, but there is something extremely motivating about going to a venue to crush other nerds. It gives passion to the scene. So I always tried to attend as many as possible in Australia. Since I'm a pretty competitive person, so a lot of my fun was had beating/taking maps off the players in the tier just above me. One ACL I proxy gated (T)iaguz and got him real tilted. The next I tried to do a 2 base carrier all in. I like to believe that it had a chance of working. Game 3 he scv pulled me T_T. I guess we all have our ups and downs....

When the LAN scene died down in favour of just WCS ANZ top 8, I felt something was missing so I ran my own.

Last year I ran the Probe Starcraft League, that gave away $7600 AUD, this was split over monthly online tournaments, as well as 2 one day LANs, and a massive 2 day championship LAN in December.

What's the difference between a 'LAN' and a 'offline/live event'? People tend to use the terms interchangeably.

You have people from all skill levels playing at LANs. There is an open bracket. Everyone can get involved. Even if those skill differences are just Masters - Low GM - High GM - Pro, compared to offline/live events that focus on just the pros, there is a community feel to the event.

How does one even get into organizing? You sit down one day and write some emails, make a few phone calls, and see where it takes you?

A lot of notepad documents drafting tournament ideas, formats, threads, prize pool distribution, money required, etc. Then using some of my connections I've made over the years to get stuff going. If you really want to organize something I actually don't think it is very hard. If you want to do it you just do it. Start small and work your way up. Before starting the Probe Starcraft League, I just ran a $500 LAN to test my idea and community interest. Then it just went from there.

What was the Cheesedelphia 6 experience like for you?

Really enjoyable. I got to spend a lot of quality time with my NA friends, and did quite well in the tournament as well. Bit disappointing being reverse swept in the semi finals, considering my position in games 3 and 5, but really enjoyed myself. It reminded me of the old ACL events.

What's the atmosphere of the "open" portion of WCS Circuit events in comparison?

Because I get seeded into the third group stage, I like showing up late and sleeping in, so I often miss that first bit. It is a bit more serious, and because you get less time on the computers, and those remaining are still taking it very seriously. The friendly atmosphere—while obviously it still exists—is slightly different. I do think that the atmosphere between the NA WCS events and EU WCS events are different as well, but that might just be because I know more people at the NA events. Still, the dinners and celebrations at all the events are the same, and that plays a key role in the overall enjoyment of events.

How do you feel headed into WCS Leipzig? You had some solid finishes last year, and your seeding will probably be better now. Do you think you can make the push past the Ro16?

Going into Leipzig I'm not too confident. I haven't had much opportunity to practice on the new maps with all my travelling. Therefore I'm not expecting myself to do well. At the other WCS events later in the year, I'm hoping that my practice will have paid off and I do finally push through the RO16.

How do you think countryman (Z)Yours will do at Leipzig?

Considering this is his first real big overseas trip apart from WESG, I'm interested to see how he will do, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it past the group stage. In my opinion you have to go to these events a few times before you have a real shot. Heck, in my first tournament at DreamHack Winter, I went 0-5 in my group, despite having some close series and showing good games for fans.

Thanks for your time. Anything you want to say to conclude the interview?

Just a shoutout to my team Legacy Esports and the ANZ community who always have my back and always support me. Also to my parents for supporting me in my journey as well. I'm also just looking forward to not dying to Hydra timings every game and having my OP Disruptor back in the game on the new patch.


To see how Probe earned his spot at WCS Leipzig, check out his qualifying match against Yours in the WCS Australia Challenger tournament.



You can follow Probe and Legacy Esports on Twitter at @Probe_SC2 and @LegacyOCE. You can watch Probe stream on Twitch.TV.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
daskleinehotte
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Germany76 Posts
January 24 2018 17:14 GMT
#2
Good read. Probe seems like such a nice guy.
www.bunker-rush.de (German SC2 and eSports blog)
KaiserCommander
Profile Joined April 2010
Mexico290 Posts
January 24 2018 17:43 GMT
#3
Go Go Probe!
Jinro, Polt, Bomber, ForGG, MajOr, Flash, Maru. Terran Fighting...
invisigoat
Profile Joined March 2013
184 Posts
January 24 2018 18:23 GMT
#4
Probe's series against Neeb in last year's WCS immediately made me a fan. He showed great games. Hopefully he can keep doing that and do even better this year.
aringadingding
Profile Joined September 2010
481 Posts
January 24 2018 19:29 GMT
#5
Nice interview, nice guy. I hope he has a great year!
EmJaeCaer
Profile Joined November 2017
Australia1 Post
January 25 2018 00:46 GMT
#6
Love mah boi Probu!
I hope we dont kill him with all of the travel though....
ElusoryX
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Singapore2047 Posts
January 25 2018 16:49 GMT
#7
I once watched Probe destroy 4 full plates of salmon. I’ve seen this raw strength only once before. It didn’t scare me enough then. It does now. Same thing's gonna happen to all 4 WCS seasons in 2018.
xd
MKStyles
Profile Joined April 2017
106 Posts
January 26 2018 09:21 GMT
#8
Going full time Pro, so he will have his first achivment in 2020 then? Okay =)
_fool
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands685 Posts
January 26 2018 10:28 GMT
#9
That last game vs Yours is very entertaining Shows Probes resolve, as well. Good on him!
"News is to the mind what sugar is to the body"
Jan1997
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Norway671 Posts
January 26 2018 23:23 GMT
#10
Are there 2 players called "Probe"? I remember there being a gm/streamer with that name but he doesn't look like the guy in this one.

glgl to him anyway.
Do something today that your future self will be thankful for.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech143
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36720
Shuttle 2520
Bisu 1022
Jaedong 992
Horang2 961
Light 440
BeSt 362
firebathero 352
Mini 319
Hyuk 284
[ Show more ]
Stork 272
actioN 267
Soma 228
EffOrt 226
Zeus 191
ggaemo 191
Soulkey 163
Last 137
ZerO 121
Leta 120
Snow 114
Rush 75
Pusan 74
Killer 71
Sea.KH 52
hero 42
Mong 42
Sharp 36
Mind 35
Shinee 31
Shine 27
Bale 27
Aegong 26
ToSsGirL 23
Sexy 21
soO 19
PianO 18
Trap 18
sorry 16
Free 13
zelot 10
Noble 9
JulyZerg 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
HiyA 8
Icarus 5
Terrorterran 0
Dota 2
Gorgc3597
qojqva1498
Dendi991
League of Legends
Reynor87
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1395
x6flipin335
markeloff85
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1929
crisheroes858
Other Games
gofns33916
singsing2139
B2W.Neo776
XBOCT348
DeMusliM192
Livibee174
XaKoH 157
Mlord136
Liquid`LucifroN119
Mew2King114
ArmadaUGS79
QueenE78
Railgan10
ZerO(Twitch)9
Chillindude8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream199
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 57
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2237
• TFBlade505
Other Games
• WagamamaTV189
Upcoming Events
OSC
36m
Stellar Fest
36m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
OSC
11h 36m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.