• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:33
CEST 19:33
KST 02:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7621 users

[Interview] ByuN at BlizzCon

Forum Index > SC2 General
25 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All
munch
Profile Joined July 2014
Mute City2363 Posts
November 05 2016 07:09 GMT
#1
Note: This group interview was conducted with ByuN directly after his quarterfinal win over TY, and before the results of the final Ro.8 match between Zest and Stats.


Q: Congratulations on the win ByuN! You’re now the last terran left in the competition, and I think that a lot of people are rooting for you for that reason. Do you find that that motivates you to represent your race?


A: I know terran is very under-represented at BlizzCon, and have been over the course of the 2016 season. I don’t necessarily think that it’s because terran is a weak race, but some of the players that terrans have been matched up with have been very high-skilled players, and they’ve been very unlucky. Even though I’m the only terran representative left at BlizzCon, if I lose, I’m still satisfied, I can go home thinking “Yeah everyone else was unlucky for the entire season”. So whatever happens to me is totally fine.


Q: You lost to ShoWTimE in the Ro.16; how does that go into your mentality leading into playing Stats or Zest?


A: Before playing ShoWTimE, I had always thought highly of the foreign players. But after losing, I looked back at all my replays and games against him and other friends who used the same builds that ShoWTimE did, and I was actually a bit shocked. He’s just that good.


Q: Zest in particular has been regarded as the best PvTer in Korea this year; what do you think your chances are against him?


A: Before BlizzCon, I played in the WESG Qualifiers, and I beat both Stats and Zest 2-0. So if I play like I did against Dear before, then I should be able to do it.


Q: In your games against ShoWTimE, you seemed to use builds that you’ve been using prominently in a lot of online cups, whereas in your win against Dear you used some new builds. Do you think that you were too exposed based on the number of online tournaments that you play, and is that a factor for why you did something different against Dear?


A: In ShoWTimE’s interview, he said something like, “Yeah, ByuN played basically as I expected”. Before, I didn’t think that I was that kind of player, but it really shocked me when he said it. So after the games I went home, and thought about it and what I could do. I didn’t have any builds ready, so that night, I researched and prepared new builds. It went very well.


Q: You seem very confident then that you’ll be playing in the Finals, both from what you’ve said here and on stage. As the most recent GSL Champion, what would a championship here at BlizzCon mean to you?


A: I may have sounded confident here and on the stage, but really I’m not that type of guy. I’m always pressured, I feel like I have all these fears, so for a professional Starcraft II player to be here at BlizzCon, the annual finale of the entire season, I feel like it’s safe to be satisfied when you hit the finals. If you finish runner-up, that’s still something to be proud of; being able to say “Yeah, I made it to the top 2 of the entire world.”


Q: On a lighter note to finish, who’s taking care of your puppy while you’re here?


A: I’ve left my five year old with my parents as I’ve been here for two weeks, so hopefully they’re taking care of him!
Facebook Twitter Reddit
WriterForm is temporary, MMA is permanent || http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/508630-article-archive
Mahanaim
Profile Joined December 2012
Korea (South)1002 Posts
November 05 2016 07:33 GMT
#2
You know, it's really interesting how Byun's interviews always turn out to have thoughtful comments from him on various topics. How can you not love the guy! Truly hope he wins this Blizzcon!
Celebrating Starcraft since... a long time ago.
A_Scarecrow
Profile Joined March 2013
Australia721 Posts
November 05 2016 07:57 GMT
#3
no mention of innovation??
ParksonVN
Profile Joined October 2015
Australia370 Posts
November 05 2016 08:00 GMT
#4
Give me some "ez pz", "who is this guy?", "i dont see a chance of losing", BM stuff of Innovaion, Life or Maru pls,This guy is too humble and thats not what we want to see from a King.
DarkGamer
Profile Joined November 2012
Germany332 Posts
November 05 2016 09:24 GMT
#5
i love byun and this is exactly what i wanna hear from the king of sc2. so i really hope he will win this one!
FrostedMiniWheats
Profile Joined August 2010
United States30730 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-11-05 09:40:14
November 05 2016 09:38 GMT
#6
ByuN better win. He's one of few things that have been of interest this year.

A vet of sc2 who's been there since the beginning, disappears for almost an entire expansion then resurfaces out of nowhere to win a GSL and then Blizzcon? That would be too cool.
NesTea | Mvp | MC | Leenock | Losira | Gumiho | DRG | Taeja | Jinro | Stephano | Thorzain | Sen | Idra |Polt | Bomber | Symbol | Squirtle | Fantasy | Jaedong | Maru | sOs | Seed | ByuN | ByuL | Neeb| Scarlett | Rogue | IM forever
Lightrush
Profile Joined July 2015
Bulgaria164 Posts
November 05 2016 09:41 GMT
#7
So sad TY lost, but Byun outplayed him on every front.
User was warned for this post
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
November 05 2016 09:42 GMT
#8
On November 05 2016 18:38 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
ByuN better win. He's one of few things that have been of interest this year.

A vet of sc2 who's been there since the beginning, disappears for almost an entire expansion then resurfaces out of nowhere to win a GSL and then Blizzcon? That would be too cool.

He also went from the only Korean doing well without a team to the only Korean doing well with a team
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Wallenberg
Profile Joined March 2016
203 Posts
November 05 2016 11:15 GMT
#9
Since Zest is out I really hope BuyN will take it all!
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
November 05 2016 13:06 GMT
#10
Byun fighting!
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
lastride
Profile Joined April 2014
2390 Posts
November 05 2016 13:21 GMT
#11
On November 05 2016 18:41 Lightrush wrote:
So sad TY lost, but Byun outplayed him on every front.

lol you cant be serious..
Foxxan
Profile Joined October 2004
Sweden3427 Posts
November 05 2016 13:32 GMT
#12
In ShoWTimE’s interview, he said something like, “Yeah, ByuN played basically as I expected”. Before, I didn’t think that I was that kind of player, but it really shocked me when he said it. So after the games I went home, and thought about it and what I could do. I didn’t have any builds ready, so that night, I researched and prepared new builds. It went very well.

If you are a competive player, its stop to give info in interviews to your enemies.
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-11-05 13:41:12
November 05 2016 13:40 GMT
#13
On November 05 2016 22:32 Foxxan wrote:
Show nested quote +
In ShoWTimE’s interview, he said something like, “Yeah, ByuN played basically as I expected”. Before, I didn’t think that I was that kind of player, but it really shocked me when he said it. So after the games I went home, and thought about it and what I could do. I didn’t have any builds ready, so that night, I researched and prepared new builds. It went very well.

If you are a competive player, its stop to give info in interviews to your enemies.

Didn't Byun practice with Showtime immediately Showtime beat him?

Enemy is too much.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
ThePhan2m
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Norway2751 Posts
November 05 2016 13:41 GMT
#14
On November 05 2016 17:00 ParksonVN wrote:
Give me some "ez pz", "who is this guy?", "i dont see a chance of losing", BM stuff of Innovaion, Life or Maru pls,This guy is too humble and thats not what we want to see from a King.


Gimme a break, this is exactly what i love to see. Humble skilled pros that are not full off themselves! They deserve to stay on top
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13021 Posts
November 05 2016 13:43 GMT
#15
On November 05 2016 17:00 ParksonVN wrote:
Give me some "ez pz", "who is this guy?", "i dont see a chance of losing", BM stuff of Innovaion, Life or Maru pls,This guy is too humble and thats not what we want to see from a King.

I dunno, I think it's more frustrating for the opponent to lose to someone "aaah I'm so nervous, ah my opponent so good, ah I'm always scared!!" than someone like MC who will BM everytime yet lose half the time :x.
WriterMaru
207aicila
Profile Joined January 2015
1237 Posts
November 05 2016 14:33 GMT
#16
On November 05 2016 17:00 ParksonVN wrote:
Give me some "ez pz", "who is this guy?", "i dont see a chance of losing", BM stuff of Innovaion, Life or Maru pls,This guy is too humble and thats not what we want to see from a King.


Joined October 2015. Makes sense.
mfw people who never followed BW speak about sAviOr as if they know anything... -___-''''
TL+ Member
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
November 05 2016 15:49 GMT
#17
On November 05 2016 23:33 207aicila wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2016 17:00 ParksonVN wrote:
Give me some "ez pz", "who is this guy?", "i dont see a chance of losing", BM stuff of Innovaion, Life or Maru pls,This guy is too humble and thats not what we want to see from a King.


Joined October 2015. Makes sense.

Don't blame him, it's not a new trend at all. People have been saying that since the start of SC2. For many it was a reason they liked IdrA or MC.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but Dark > ByuN. Sorry.
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13021 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-11-05 16:01:27
November 05 2016 16:01 GMT
#18
On November 06 2016 00:49 KeksX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2016 23:33 207aicila wrote:
On November 05 2016 17:00 ParksonVN wrote:
Give me some "ez pz", "who is this guy?", "i dont see a chance of losing", BM stuff of Innovaion, Life or Maru pls,This guy is too humble and thats not what we want to see from a King.


Joined October 2015. Makes sense.

Don't blame him, it's not a new trend at all. People have been saying that since the start of SC2. For many it was a reason they liked IdrA or MC.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but Dark > ByuN. Sorry.

His race is slightly better indeed but ByuN is a slightly better player so he should be able to win, if both of them were to qualify .
WriterMaru
highsis
Profile Joined August 2011
259 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-11-05 16:02:01
November 05 2016 16:01 GMT
#19
Byun is a very funny and unique character. You will know if you follow the scene a bit longer.
felisconcolori
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States6169 Posts
November 05 2016 23:27 GMT
#20
On November 06 2016 00:49 KeksX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2016 23:33 207aicila wrote:
On November 05 2016 17:00 ParksonVN wrote:
Give me some "ez pz", "who is this guy?", "i dont see a chance of losing", BM stuff of Innovaion, Life or Maru pls,This guy is too humble and thats not what we want to see from a King.


Joined October 2015. Makes sense.

Don't blame him, it's not a new trend at all. People have been saying that since the start of SC2. For many it was a reason they liked IdrA or MC.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but Dark > ByuN. Sorry.


I'm sorry you appear to be mistaken.
Yes, I email sponsors... to thank them. Don't post drunk, kids. My king, what has become of you?
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1111
SteadfastSC847
ComeBackTV 822
TaKeTV 626
IndyStarCraft 249
Rex138
EnkiAlexander 85
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 829
IndyStarCraft 227
Rex 138
ProTech135
UpATreeSC 57
BRAT_OK 51
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 39609
Shuttle 806
Mini 389
Larva 332
Rush 308
Hyuk 113
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 83
Mong 71
Trap 43
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 25
Rock 21
Shine 17
Sacsri 13
Terrorterran 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9881
qojqva1691
Counter-Strike
fl0m1433
Fnx 779
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1379
Khaldor1265
Other Games
FrodaN1443
Beastyqt401
XBOCT238
DeMusliM237
ArmadaUGS207
Mlord190
KnowMe127
C9.Mang0120
XaKoH 86
QueenE83
Mew2King74
CosmosSc2 11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV238
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream67
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH314
• StrangeGG 42
• Hinosc 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Migwel
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• Michael_bg 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis4017
Other Games
• imaqtpie518
• Shiphtur340
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 28m
CranKy Ducklings
16h 28m
Online Event
17h 28m
FEL
22h 28m
AI Arena Tournament
23h 28m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.