• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:23
CEST 04:23
KST 11:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9433 users

Qxc Announces Break From Starcraft After WCS S1

Forum Index > SC2 General
84 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
AWalker9
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
United Kingdom7229 Posts
January 05 2015 22:53 GMT
#1
Let’s start with the most important part of this blog. I am taking a break from StarCraft starting whenever my run in WCS AM Season 1 ends. I am likely to return for LoTV. I don’t quite feel ready to give up on StarCraft just yet.

A few months ago, I posted about a blog about my plans for the rest of 2015. To summarize, I decided to stop commentating all together to focus on improving my play. I stated that if I had not improved significantly by the end of the year, I would be retiring. As is often the case, success is done in shades rather than absolutes. While I did not achieve the level of success I hoped for, I achieved a level of success that I had been unable to obtain for most of 2014. I managed to qualify for IEM San Jose, losing out in the winner’s bracket in a close 2-3 vs Scarlett and triumphing over Violet in the loser’s bracket 3-2, taking the 3rd and final qualified position for the American region. This alone, was a great accomplishment. Days later, at Homestory Cup, I went 1-2 with HyuN, nearly taking the series 2-0 and then defeated Lilbow 2-1 before ultimately being eliminated by Jaedong 0-2. While I did not manage to pass my group at Homestory, I showed a level of play that has eluded me for a long time and went head to head with some of the better players right now.

I continued to train hard for San Jose and for some reasons that I’m not entirely clear on, I played some of the worst games I’ve played in a long time. San Jose was pretty much a total failure in my mind because I failed to play up to my level and went out 0-4 vs Bomber and Super. Of course, my opponents were strong, but there’s no place in this scene for me if I can’t at least play my best, be competitive at LAN events and put on good games. Since then, I’ve been streaming consistently and figuring out where my place will be in the coming year. Overall, I made more progress than I had in a long time, but not enough to re-ignite the reasons I began so fervently down this progamer path in the first place.

After a bit of soul searching and re-negotiation of terms, I settled on a contract that worked well for me and compLexity. I found the answers that I needed in 2014 to justify continuing my career as a progamer. I have been on a path of consistent improvement (except for the blunder of San Jose and a few days preceding it). My practice partners noted on my sudden improvement and the game was quite a bit more fun than it had been in a long time. Despite this, I’m still worn out on StarCraft. I don’t recover from poor play or losses as I would like, and I don’t really want to play a lot of the time. StarCraft has become more of a job than an activity of passion.
In order to succeed, I need the inner drive to push myself and constantly try to innovate and topple my opponents. This drive just isn’t with me right now. I play a set amount of hours each day, and when I’m done (usually glad that I am), I pursue other activities. Part of this loss of motivation stems from the declining popularity of StarCraft. It has become harder to play as nearly every single non-pro gamer friend I have has stopped playing the game all together. StarCraft is no longer an activity that brings my friends together. Perhaps if I lived in a team house long term I wouldn’t feel this way. Even though I enjoyed my time in the ROOT house quite a bit, I think time off will help more than simply trying to push through. Especially because the coming months will be one of the best times to take a break.

LoTV, with its slew of changes both to balance and how the game is fundamentally played (starting workers, different resources per base), will be a nice reset that will reward those who are active early and adapting to what’s new.
As such, my current plan is to continue to play StarCraft on a consistent basis until I am eliminated from WCS Season 1 of this year. When I am eliminated, I will begin a break from competitive StarCraft play that will probably last until I have access to LoTV beta. While on break, I may do some commentary at my discretion, but will mostly be away from the competitive StarCraft scene. You may see me streaming or doing other related activities besides competing.

As always, thanks to compLexity and our great sponsors: Creative & Sound Blaster, CYBERPOWERPC, Newegg, Corsair Gaming, Twitch, DXRacer and Pwnit Wear.

Follow Kevin on twitter @coL_qxc


http://www.cpgaming.gg/guest-blog/esports-blog/col-qxc-blog-past-present-and-future/
Facebook Twitter Reddit
soOjwa has returned to smite all that stand in his way
Pandain
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States12989 Posts
January 05 2015 22:59 GMT
#2
One of my favorite NA players throughout SC2 history, always been a fan.

Hope he goes far in WCS then!
PinoKotsBeer
Profile Joined February 2014
Netherlands1387 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-05 23:27:16
January 05 2015 23:03 GMT
#3
QXC's gameplay and casting are great, hope he get really really far in WCS. GL!!
http://www.twitch.tv/pinokotsbeer
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
January 05 2015 23:13 GMT
#4
I am really a total fan of QXC, he has sparks of pure brilliance in game that is so amazing to see and very rare for foreigners.

His commentating is even more impressive and shows how deep his understanding of the game is, nothing hypes me up more that hearing QXCs passion leak out when he gets excited for some build or other.

Take a good long break but I reaaally hope you come back, you are a sorely needed talent, personality and role model in SC2.
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
Circumstance
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
United States11403 Posts
January 05 2015 23:14 GMT
#5
I'm glad he's giving himself more time and opportunity to make it work. He's an exciting player and personality, and I hope he finds what he needs to keep his mental state strong and dedicated.
The world is better when every background has a chance.
TurboMaN
Profile Joined October 2005
Germany925 Posts
January 05 2015 23:17 GMT
#6
Sometimes you just need to take a month off to regain the passion.
royalroadweed
Profile Joined April 2013
United States8301 Posts
January 05 2015 23:18 GMT
#7
I'm a little surprised. QXC has looked really good recently. If this means we have more qxc commentary, then I'll atually be looking forward to it.
"Nerfing Toss can just make them stronger"
TTBest
Profile Joined September 2013
Germany74 Posts
January 05 2015 23:22 GMT
#8
First ToD, now qxc...
But with the reasons stated, it's a reasonable decision to take a break. I also believe that we have reached a point where we will see more announcements like this coming soon. However, best of luck to qxc in S1 and afterwards in whatever he's doing!
rafaliusz
Profile Joined December 2009
Poland482 Posts
January 05 2015 23:25 GMT
#9
This is a sad day for StarCraft... I've been a fan of his for a long time.
Paljas
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6926 Posts
January 05 2015 23:30 GMT
#10
great loss for the foreign sc2 scene. hope to see a quick comeback
TL+ Member
TheUnderking
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada202 Posts
January 05 2015 23:31 GMT
#11
QXC is the man, all the best in whatever he does in the meantime. I can't wait to see the builds he concocts in LOTV.
Right after he gets silver in WCS Foreigner S1.Sorry, I love QXC, but cant root against Polt.
THE PACT IS SEALED!
GuiBz
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada108 Posts
January 05 2015 23:34 GMT
#12
So sad
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-05 23:41:40
January 05 2015 23:38 GMT
#13
He's QXC, you've probably heard of him.

SCAN THE ISLAND!

GL with whatever you do <3.
"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
Ramiz1989
Profile Joined July 2012
12124 Posts
January 05 2015 23:38 GMT
#14
I knew very little about QXC, but I've become a fan after I've heard a few commentaries done by him. Great guy. It is better to take a break and regain passion than to get frustrated more and more and lose all the passion that is left. Looking forward to see you stream LotV beta when it comes out, because most of the time you guys are the ones that play the beta and try out new stuff while vast majority of Koreans are still focusing on tournaments.

Good luck!
"I've been to hell and back, and back to hell…and back. This time, I've brought Hell back with me."
IAMPRO
Profile Joined November 2011
Afghanistan118 Posts
January 05 2015 23:44 GMT
#15
Cool, a very reasoned and level-headed approach. I'd recommend stepping away from gaming entirely. Maybe just go on walks, go out partying, just connect to the world in a tangible way. I feel like it's necessary for a healthy balance. You seem like a smart guy with real potential in SC2. Hope LotV works out for you. But most importantly, I hope you enjoy what you do!
SuHoSin - we'll never forget your genius
[DVH]Huginn
Profile Joined July 2013
Netherlands32 Posts
January 05 2015 23:48 GMT
#16
Another passenger on the "LOTV train". Hope he does well in both WCS and LOTV.
Drmooose
Profile Joined March 2011
United States390 Posts
January 05 2015 23:53 GMT
#17
Sad to see but I'm glad to see he'll be back! Good luck and enjoy the time off!
I have a question...
alpenrahm
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany629 Posts
January 05 2015 23:56 GMT
#18
i remember that series vs bomber. it was heartbreaking to see how even tho qxc had his builds well mapped out (especially on merry, with the Raven tank drop) he was just getting swept aside as bomber was just playing better in every aspect of the game (similar gas first openings and while nothing happened, bomber was just ahead).
alpenrahm
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany629 Posts
January 05 2015 23:59 GMT
#19
Btw, he will be remembered for:" you do THE BUILD. yeah and then you follow it up with stim and vikings? - Your followup litteraly is to win the game" -qxc on the infamous 2 tank 8 marine Raven drop in TvT
HaRuHi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
1220 Posts
January 06 2015 00:01 GMT
#20
As such, my current plan is to continue to play StarCraft on a consistent basis until I am eliminated from WCS Season 1 of this year.

That just blows my mind. Maybe it is brutal honesty, but if you already given up on the inside, why even go on?

I love QXC, and I hope this quitter no pressure attitude works wonders for him (I mean he gets really worked up about losses, so maybe it is exactly what he needs), but man, I really don't know. Here is to him not being eliminated but winning this damn thing! Man up.
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings97
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta26
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 276
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10800
Dota 2
monkeys_forever854
NeuroSwarm149
febbydoto56
League of Legends
Doublelift5518
JimRising 672
Counter-Strike
minikerr32
taco 12
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox914
Mew2King37
Other Games
summit1g9620
Maynarde206
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick363
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 208
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo453
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 37m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 37m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 37m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.