• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:09
CEST 13:09
KST 20:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8586 users

Livestreamer: The Light VLC Twitch Viewer!

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Normal
KTK99
Profile Joined November 2014
China48 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-25 06:32:11
November 25 2014 06:11 GMT
#1
Here is a screenshot! (http://i.imgur.com/coS6F3N.png)

Easy and simple to use! Twitch is very resource intensive, and some of us can't run Source for things like Korean streamers with ridiculously high quality streams simply because Twitch takes up so much CPU. I didn't even know BaseTradeTV was 60fps on Source until I did this!

First, go to http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and download VLC. It is a free media player.

Second, go to http://livestreamer.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ and get Livestreamer.

Install both of those, then go to Command Prompt (Press Start+R, type cmd, then hit Enter), and type "livestreamer twitch.tv/usernamehere qualityhere" without quotes, usernamehere being the name of the Twitch streamer's channel, and qualityhere being one of the quality selections (worst/mobile, low, medium, high, best/source).

There you go! And I recommend that you open their stream in your browser and pause the video so they get your view because using Livestreamer won't recognize you as a viewer.
"If you lose, automatically assume their race is OP and they are map hacking." -Nathanias 2014
KTK99
Profile Joined November 2014
China48 Posts
November 25 2014 06:32 GMT
#2
Sorry for multiple edits. I lost my brain today.
"If you lose, automatically assume their race is OP and they are map hacking." -Nathanias 2014
LOcDowN
Profile Joined February 2003
United States1015 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-25 07:09:22
November 25 2014 07:02 GMT
#3
Where is the Windows download link on Livestreamer website that you linked?

Nm, found it: http://livestreamer.readthedocs.org/en/latest/install.html#windows-binaries

Thanks man, this is very good.
-Kyo-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan1927 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-25 09:06:12
November 25 2014 09:03 GMT
#4
I tried this out for fun because why not. I can't say it is /that/ much more beneficial than just using twitch, especially considering you have to open their stream in the background if you want to "directly" support them, and you also would need popoutchat or something if you want to interact.

That said, I compared a single chrome window with a stream vs your way, and while CPU is more or less the same it does appear to save quite a bit, probably for the above reasons, on memory:

[image loading]


ps: things do look much more smooth on VLC, though.


oh and edit: do not close cmd before vlc or it will freak out a bit... >.>
Anime is cuter than you. Legacy of the Void GM Protoss Gameplay: twitch.tv/kyo7763 youtube.com/user/KyoStarcraft/
TL+ Member
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-25 09:32:00
November 25 2014 09:24 GMT
#5
Just a quick note - you don't have to use VLC in case you have Media Player Classic - Home Cinema ,-)

Usage:
just add -p way_to_your_media_player to the command in the 1st post.

E.g.
livestreamer http://www.twitch.tv/wintergaming low -p "c:\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe"
livestreamer http://www.twitch.tv/gsl medium -p "c:\Program Files\Media Player Classic\mpc-hc.exe"

In case you use 64bit MPC-HC you will have mpc-hc64.exe, I think. I am on 32bit system at work right now so I cannot show you this case

At work I use VLC but at home MPC, since I find the picture nicer. Maybe some advanced settings, I spent a lot of time setting the MPC to the way I like it

Edit> From Windows Vista(I think) you can use "TAB" key to complete the folder name(in case it will select wrong one use the tab key again until you find what you want :D), so you can write c:\pro TAB resulting in "c:\program files" then you can add "c:\program files"\medi TAB resulting in "c:\program files\media player classic" and so on
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-25 09:39:59
November 25 2014 09:30 GMT
#6
After installing livestreamer, add this GUI for full pleasure:
https://github.com/bastimeyer/livestreamer-twitch-gui/releases

It gets updated in time and will eventually get even better. Latest feature is that it even supports a list of your Favorites on twitch, directly from your twitch account.

It's pretty neat, press continue to browse and open more than one stream at once. Press Chat to open a standard twitch chat window in your browser. This thing by they way still shows you as a viewer on each stream you are playing, so they don't lose view counts from it. Oh and you can of course change stream quality from the gui too.

In vlc press ALT+H for minimal interface.
All video options in vlc work on live stream. You can crop it if there are black bars, you can zoom, you can sharpen the image and other cool stuff.

P.S. I would prefer to just use Twitch in a browser but it is indeed damn heavy on the PC, and I would like to use the spare power to run other heavier applications simultaneously with Twitch, so yeah.
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
November 25 2014 09:44 GMT
#7
On November 25 2014 18:30 figq wrote:
...
P.S. I would prefer to just use Twitch in a browser but it is indeed damn heavy on the PC, and I would like to use the spare power to run other heavier applications simultaneously with Twitch, so yeah.

Well, twitch.tv is lagging on medium, livestreamer runs fluently on high. My choice is clear. Also a separate window is easier to hide at work(the lowest possible quality, if GSL could provide a radio stream it would be sufficient for me )
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
November 25 2014 09:47 GMT
#8
Oh, one more thing about VLC - you can go to Video / Video Track / Disable -- and listen to any stream as a radio.
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
graNite
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany4434 Posts
November 25 2014 09:59 GMT
#9
If you view like this, are you counted as a viewer?
"Oink oink, bitches" - Tasteless on Pigbaby winning a map against Flash
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
November 25 2014 10:00 GMT
#10
On November 25 2014 18:59 graNite wrote:
If you view like this, are you counted as a viewer?

From the OP:

And I recommend that you open their stream in your browser and pause the video so they get your view because using Livestreamer won't recognize you as a viewer.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-25 10:05:23
November 25 2014 10:01 GMT
#11
^ I believe OP is wrong on that. What it does help with is ads though.
On November 25 2014 18:59 graNite wrote:
If you view like this, are you counted as a viewer?
Yes, you are. It was pretty important for me too. (:

If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
Elche
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland170 Posts
November 25 2014 11:57 GMT
#12
Thank you so much!
First time in a year I'm able to watch twitch streams without lagging.
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
November 25 2014 12:06 GMT
#13
I just tried this as well. It worked. Now I just need to find a stream that lags through website and try to watch it this way.
derElbe
Profile Joined February 2009
Germany571 Posts
November 30 2014 08:13 GMT
#14
This is nice,
does somebody have something like this for mac ?
Hoejja - Bisu - Leenock - TLO
terran4lyfe
Profile Joined December 2013
United States72 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-30 08:22:01
November 30 2014 08:20 GMT
#15
Long shot probably, but can you access twitch vods with this?

edit: Wow, that GUI is really spiffy ! :D ty to all who made these awesome tools
glhf
Yiome
Profile Joined February 2014
China1687 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-01 02:33:44
December 01 2014 02:26 GMT
#16
Thanks OP for this
Seems improve the stability of twitch stream for me a lot
Oh and potplayer could be used as well but setting it up everytime with -p command is a little annoying
Edit: I just installed VLC and it seems run better in VLC anyway. Thanks again : )
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-12-01 02:33:46
December 01 2014 02:33 GMT
#17
Oh nice!
You can probably record the stream with VLC too, right?
Pisko.
Profile Joined August 2011
United States214 Posts
December 01 2014 06:31 GMT
#18
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-livestreamer/
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
Loomies
Profile Joined July 2010
United States645 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-04 19:53:52
January 04 2015 19:09 GMT
#19
I wasn't comfortable making a new thread but its something similar to this.

Picture of VLC embed replacing the flash player
http://i.imgur.com/559QMmN.jpg

Twitch changed their API in the past few weeks and I can only get low,medium,high settings. Source is the HD setting but can't seem to get it to work and the person who made this VLC embed script said he doesn't watch twitch anymore so has no time to update it.

Heres the script to use in tampermonkey

https://github.com/DeniSix/twitch-vlc-userscript/blob/16bab74cd49c5d598854fde1c5258e758037533e/twitch-vlc.user.js

I asked the Livestreamer dev in an email on how to get source but he told me to "“allow_audio_only=true”. I tried adding this part into several part of the script but can't get it to work. Any advice is deeply appreciated. VLC embed uses 40% CPU for me and flash is too cpu intensive. Livestreamer is cool but it can be annoying having to do this for every stream I open up. Thanks
Loomies
Profile Joined July 2010
United States645 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-05 01:58:50
January 04 2015 23:45 GMT
#20
https://github.com/Loomies/twitch-vlc-userscript/blob/700e23beb69f0195acdff12ef33d8d508af885dc/new API with cache options

You need tampermonkey and VLC for this script to work

Got it!

I recommend changing the network cache to 2000-3000
stakiman
Profile Joined May 2010
Bulgaria42 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-20 20:28:07
February 20 2015 20:26 GMT
#21
Here is the simplest of scripts I made quickly so that I save on typing when I am tired and want to just load a stream quickly:
http://pastebin.com/rufQnK8P

Tip: you can also configure VLC though the GUI settings to always start in fullscreen. Then it becomes even handier !
Be the change you want to see in the world
ferdkuh
Profile Joined January 2013
10 Posts
February 20 2015 21:11 GMT
#22
Thank you for this, I much prefer VLC to browser video playback. Appearantly this utility support a lot more than just twitch, have a look here: http://livestreamer.readthedocs.org/en/latest/plugin_matrix.html.
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
February 20 2015 21:46 GMT
#23
I dont know but I feel like 90% of all are using chrome. chrome is using own flash player which is a garbage player.
do following:
type chrome://plugins
At Adobe Flash Player you must have 2 files. deactivate pepperflash (PPAPI) and activate the macromed (NPAPI). Restart chrome. All other browser (firefox, opera etc) are using the macromed thing.
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
Magnifico
Profile Joined March 2013
1958 Posts
February 20 2015 22:23 GMT
#24
For those who have Macs and use Alfred, I'd recommend this workflow: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/3715-twitchstreamer-15-search-twitchtv-streams-and-watch-in-vlc/

Its pretty awesome. You can search twitch right from Alfred and run livestreamer with just one key stroke.
paschl
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany666 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-04 22:02:04
April 04 2015 21:57 GMT
#25
Sorry to graverob but i was looking for this and thought maybe i can help someone.
Ive made a .bat file that lets you type in stream + quality. Its nothing fancy but it works.
I couldnt get the script someone else in here posted to.

@echo

set /p stream=stream? (twitch.tv/xx)
echo %stream%
set /p quality=quality?
echo %quality%
livestreamer http://twitch.tv/%stream% %quality%

@echo off


Just put that in a name.bat file and click it.
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-04 22:07:52
April 04 2015 22:04 GMT
#26
I have no clue which Livestreamer I should install? I have no clue about Computer stuff and I use Win64 now. There is a lot different installer (Linux, debian etc) but I cant find one for win7?

edit: I think I am blind.
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
HewTheTitan
Profile Joined February 2015
Canada331 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-04 22:23:06
April 04 2015 22:21 GMT
#27
On April 05 2015 07:04 Dingodile wrote:
I have no clue which Livestreamer I should install? I have no clue about Computer stuff and I use Win64 now. There is a lot different installer (Linux, debian etc) but I cant find one for win7?

edit: I think I am blind.


Stick with it, we believe in you!

It's under other, binaries, windows installer, zip archive.
ZerglingSoup
Profile Joined June 2009
United States346 Posts
July 02 2015 00:45 GMT
#28
Wow. This is fantastic. And its a Python package so I can just pip install it and launch it from my IDE.

For anyone who wants to fullscreen a Twitch video on one monitor and continue working on another, this a great solution.
Stream plz
teethcrasher
Profile Joined July 2015
1 Post
July 31 2015 22:07 GMT
#29
Guys, You don't need anything else but CHerryPlayer if you want to watch Twitch.tv without lags. Twitch is integrated there on the api level and it uses hardware acceleration, so no lags, no slow downs, no high CPU usage, just relax and enjoy

User was banned for this post.
dealer17
Profile Joined January 2016
1 Post
Last Edited: 2016-01-14 16:45:43
January 14 2016 16:44 GMT
#30
Hi people,

If you are using the great livestreamer and boring to handle the Command Line or write bat files, download X-StreamLoader which act as Graphical Interface for livestreamer.

Here you can watch a Video how easy it works.
Also a Download Link is there



[image loading]
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 16942
StarCastTV_EN387
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs PercivalLIVE!
TBD vs Krystianer
CranKy Ducklings92
CranKy Ducklings SOOP16
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko176
OGKoka 51
ProTech36
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 11787
Jaedong 5816
EffOrt 2850
BeSt 1239
actioN 879
Killer 667
Soma 605
ZerO 513
Horang2 493
Pusan 470
[ Show more ]
Zeus 260
Stork 225
Rush 178
JYJ 161
Barracks 121
Mong 55
ToSsGirL 53
HiyA 47
Bale 32
Terrorterran 32
Sexy 31
Sharp 24
Shinee 22
sorry 18
NaDa 18
Sacsri 11
JulyZerg 10
Noble 10
Sea.KH 9
Dota 2
Gorgc5183
XaKoH 429
Dendi5
League of Legends
Reynor47
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_0
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft2326
crisheroes2319
Other Games
gofns63093
singsing1432
olofmeister1333
byalli598
Livibee207
Pyrionflax142
ArmadaUGS51
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick513
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream335
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 254
StarCraft 2
WardiTV46
Other Games
BasetradeTV1
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1941
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 52m
Kung Fu Cup
23h 52m
The PondCast
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.