• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:22
CEST 02:22
KST 09:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11068 users

Interview /w WCS interpreter James "Mal" Song

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33701 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-29 10:38:09
September 29 2014 10:31 GMT
#1
DailyeSports recently interviewed WCS and Red Bull interpreter James "Mal" Song. The following is a very, very, very liberal translation.



Getting to know Jaedong, getting into the biz.

"I moved from Korea to America's hat in 1999, which made me miss out on seeing the incredible growth of esports in Korea. I could only experience esports through VODs and media articles -- there's nothing I regret more than not being able to experience that first hand. If I had a time machine, that would be the one thing I'd go back and change -- I might also prevent BL-Infestor from becoming a thing.

I got to know Jaedong through a chance meeting. It turns out that one of my friends was a high school classmate with the tyrant. He helped me get an audience with his Dongness, and I started to meet up with him a lot when he came to American tournaments.

When the WCS Season 3 finals came around, it just happened to be that the organizers (NASL) needed an interpretter on short notice. I was already in attendence with Jaedong, so things just came together. One thing led to another, and I started to work for ESL and Red Bull as well."


About translation accuracy

"Look, man. I'm not a professional translator (however, I AM a professional G). I've never been trained in it, which means the title of 'interpreter' is a big f***ing burden for me. I agree that if you're an interpreter, then being as accurate as possible is the right thing to do.

But ya know, it's not like Korea and North America have the same cultures or anything like that. There's a lot of differences in mindset and language, both big and small. I use some jokes, figures of speech, and body language to try and get nuances and subtleties across. If I tried to do things too dry, too word for word, I think it would take away from the experience.

I talk a lot to the players before to get a feel for what they're thinking and to learn about their personalities. I want to try and help them express the personality they might not be able to show well by themselves.

In the process, I guess it's made the viewing experience less than ideal for some people. As a Canadian I'm obliged to say "sorry," but I think my style makes the most of my strengths and makes things more fun for most viewers.

And I mean, come on. It's not like Koreans pros are the most interesting people in the world. In fact, I'd say they're closer to being the least interesting people. Have you talked to INnoVation? I've had better conversations with piles of rocks. You know what? F*** interviews and f*** translations. Just give me the mic and I'll do all the talking. [The last paragraph may or may not be made up entirely]


Somehow Flash has made his way into an otherwise totally unrelated story.

"I met Flash for the first time at the WCG 2010 grand finals. When I got to see him again at IEM Toronto, we told each other we'd do our best and show ppl good performances like any proper Korean would.

Flash had a lot of trouble with his wrist surgery in the past -- look it up bandwagon fans who didn't watch BW -- and he's had trouble adjusting to SC2. It was strange watching him stand there and lift that trophy. If you know about what he's been through, you can't help but cheer when Flash wins."


What the future holds and final comments

"I talk to Polt a lot about the future. Like me, he's working in a field that's wildly different from what he studied in school. He did agriculture, and I've studied chemical engineering and architecture. I graduated in May, and I've been thinking about what to do. If I do work in esports, then I want to work on the creative/content production end.

All the translators right now have their own styles, so I hope people don't criticize them for trying their own thing. We're all doing our best to make a living out here.

Please cheer for me and I hope I can show you good translations in the future."
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
padiseal2
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria721 Posts
September 29 2014 11:21 GMT
#2
I'm glad you went with "over the top".

Interesting interview, hilarious translation. Thanks wax
Samsungjackets on twitch || 강민수 화이팅
Jaxx
Profile Joined July 2004
Slovakia758 Posts
September 29 2014 11:21 GMT
#3
Pretty cool guy, I like him. And that Innovation paragraph is just great :D
AxiomBlurr
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
786 Posts
September 29 2014 11:32 GMT
#4
As one who criticized him for his 'translations' and style I respect his responses.
Mahanaim
Profile Joined December 2012
Korea (South)1002 Posts
September 29 2014 12:30 GMT
#5
Thanks Wax :D
And of course, James' translating style is a bit different, but it works, and it works well!
Celebrating Starcraft since... a long time ago.
GumBa
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United Kingdom31935 Posts
September 29 2014 12:41 GMT
#6
Rofl that Inno paragraph xD
To all the haters: you deserve to witness many, many more Serral victories, worthy of the godlike player he is.
Boucot
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
France15997 Posts
September 29 2014 23:22 GMT
#7
I don't even know how much of the translation is made up. I'd say 40%.
Former SC2 writer for Millenium - twitter.com/Boucot
Pontius Pirate
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
United States1557 Posts
September 29 2014 23:49 GMT
#8
I'm definitely enjoying the self-conscious wink that this entire interview is.
"I had to close the door so my parents wouldn't judge me." - ZombieGrub during the ShitfaceTradeTV stream
mikumegurine
Profile Joined May 2013
Canada3145 Posts
September 30 2014 02:48 GMT
#9
On September 30 2014 08:22 Boucot wrote:
I don't even know how much of the translation is made up. I'd say 40%.


but entertainment though!
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
September 30 2014 03:11 GMT
#10
Doesn't he realize that that's the best part about Innovation interviews??? He would be ruining Innovation's interview!
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
September 30 2014 03:12 GMT
#11
On September 30 2014 08:49 Pontius Pirate wrote:
I'm definitely enjoying the self-conscious wink that this entire interview is.


Ditto. It's very meta (not the sc2 kind)
Holdenintherye
Profile Joined December 2012
Canada1441 Posts
September 30 2014 03:33 GMT
#12
Please cheer for me and I hope I can show you good translations in the future

I lost it.
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
September 30 2014 04:46 GMT
#13
On September 30 2014 12:33 Holdenintherye wrote:
Please cheer for me and I hope I can show you good translations in the future

I lost it.

LMAO, me too. Wax is so hilarious. :D
LoneYoShi
Profile Blog Joined June 2014
France1348 Posts
September 30 2014 06:44 GMT
#14
Great interview !
Vete
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany190 Posts
September 30 2014 07:11 GMT
#15
On September 30 2014 13:46 HolydaKing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 30 2014 12:33 Holdenintherye wrote:
Please cheer for me and I hope I can show you good translations in the future

I lost it.

LMAO, me too. Wax is so hilarious. :D


My morning is shining more and more after this interview. :D
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
October 01 2014 05:56 GMT
#16
Is any of this real? Haha
RaiKageRyu
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada4773 Posts
October 01 2014 07:00 GMT
#17
What a baller.
Someone call down the Thunder?
SatedSC2
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
England3012 Posts
October 01 2014 08:32 GMT
#18
--- Nuked ---
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
October 01 2014 20:18 GMT
#19
On September 30 2014 12:33 Holdenintherye wrote:
Please cheer for me and I hope I can show you good translations in the future

I lost it.

lol, same, that was gold
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
usopsama
Profile Joined April 2008
6502 Posts
October 02 2014 01:00 GMT
#20
Sorry. I prefer accurate translations over things that are completely made up.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings39
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta32
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
19:00
Jungsu & Hasu #1
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 141
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10978
Artosis 778
White-Ra 131
Dota 2
monkeys_forever788
League of Legends
Doublelift6441
JimRising 626
Counter-Strike
fl0m17931
minikerr1
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox859
AZ_Axe174
Other Games
summit1g8484
KnowMe258
Maynarde191
ArmadaUGS115
Mew2King36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1050
BasetradeTV182
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 10
lovetv 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 68
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 39m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 39m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 39m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.