• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:41
CEST 23:41
KST 06:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8196 users

TL Fans Interview w/ Duckdeok: Winning WCS EU and Retirement

Forum Index > SC2 General
79 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-24 17:22:33
December 24 2013 06:10 GMT
#1
[image loading]


Hi Teamliquid readers,

The guys running TL Fan Clubs are back to present another exclusive interview to teamliquid.net, this time featuring the WCS EU Season 2 Champion (P)MVP duckdeok. This player has become a household name and a fan favorite after winning one of the most prestigious titles of 2013. His underdog story and show of emotions quickly garnered a tremendous following. Duckdeok's career in 2013 cumulated to a climax as he took on the world's best in (T)Acer INnoVation at Blizzcon. What should have been an easy lopsided victory for Innovation turned out to be one of the best PvT series of the year. Using his wits, skills and bravado, the MVP Protoss player bested Innovation in five heartstopping games that any fan of Starcraft should not miss.

Yet, seemingly at the height of his career, duckdeok shocked the world once again with his announcement to retire. Without much closure, it has become hard to stomach the loss of one of our more popular players. This is where we, the fans, have come to fill in the gaps. Thank you to duckdeok for allowing us this opportunity:





[image loading]




Original Transcript in Korean: Here


1. You were doing very well in 2013. What made you decide to retire?
I was actually considering retirement ever since HotS was released. I actually had already announced to the supervisor and all my teammates that WCS EU Season 2 would be my last run, but then I got lucky and ended up winning the whole thing so my retirement got delayed somewhat because of that. The reason for my retirement is because I am now about to enter my 20’s, and if you see my WCS EU Season 3 profile interview, you will see that I stated in there that I like change.

2. Do you think you will work in esports after retiring? Such as become a coach or team manager? If not, what other careers do you want to go into?
As of right now, I have no immediate plans to stay within eSports. I’m currently considering trying out to become a firefighter, but nothing’s set in stone. I want to try all kinds of things in life and find the right path for me.

3. WCS EU was the biggest achievement in your career...How did your teammates react to you crying on camera?
They comforted me, they congratulated me, and I think they were also envious of me. I also think that my teammates were motivated by my victory. They told me that I pulled off a comeback in life as they celebrated along with me.

4. Can you tell us more about how you felt at that moment?
I felt like I was going to fly away. I was so thankful to everyone that was there during that moment, and I even remembered that time back when I was 3 years old and I overcame how to ride a two wheel bicycle.

5. Who were you closest to in the team house? Will you remain friends after retiring?
I was close with pretty much everyone, but if I had to choose then I would say that I was the closest with DRG, TAiLS, KeeN, and Super. I really hope we do stay friends even after my retirement.

6. Of all the MVP players, who is the best with girls?
Among all the MVP players, I was the most popular with girls, and then DRG was in second because of his good looks.

7. I heard team MVP plays soccer together. Who is the best soccer player and who is the worst?
NAKSEO and Swagger were the best players. They even participated in weekend get-togethers with other people who enjoy soccer. The worst player would have to be DRG. He is so bad.



[image loading]




8. Tell us a funny story about your experience living with team MVP.
Living in the MVP team house was always a blast. I particularly remember all those happy times I spent with DRG and KeeN as we rode our bikes around during dawn because we didn’t have cars this past summer. We even went to the beach. (For some reason, duckdeok decided to give us this kind of answer rather than a funny, humiliating story)

9. What made you decide to put school on hold and become a progamer, initially?
Well first off, I didn’t quit school because I wanted to become a progamer. I quit because I just didn’t like going to school. My decision to become a progamer happened because it had always been a dream of mine since my elementary school days.

10. Who are your favorite musicians/what are your favorite songs?
I don’t particularly have favorite musicians or groups. My favorite songs always change too. Right now, I really like The Royal Concept - Cabin Down Below, The Royal Concept- BusyBusy, The Royal Concept - Damn, Venom Is Bliss - Patience (OFFICIAL), etc. etc.

11. Do you have a girlfriend and is it true that having a girlfriend is detrimental to a pro gamer's career?
Yes I do have a girlfriend. I’m not really sure about girlfriends being detrimental to progamers. In fact for me, things became so much better once I found love. I guess you could say that it’s different for everyone?

12. Is there anything you want to say to your teammates in this interview?
To all the current MVP players, former MVP players, and MVP officials, let us make sure that no matter what we do in life, we don’t cause trouble for others and that we always do our very best so that we can keep being awesome people. Fighting along with me!

13. Is there anything you want to say to your fans?
Hello to all eSports officials and fans all around. I am Kim “duckdeok” Kyung Deok. Since joining team MVP back in December, I can’t believe that already 3 years have passed. I’ve been a progamer for 3 years now, but I’m sure that most of you who are reading this interview did not know who I was until very recently. I was probably just another player that you had heard about up till now right? First off, I was also very sad and disappointed in my own retirement announcement. I had no idea that so many people had taken an interest in me. I’m sure you guys are disappointed about this, but it’s not like I died or anything like that. I’m still alive and going strong so please keep on rooting for this little duck. I am just really so thankful to everyone for everything. I am where I am right now in life because of all of you. (I did not translate this next part. duckdeok actually wrote this part in English) Fly on, little duck.



For more on duckdeok and his legacy, be sure to head over and read stuchiu's fantastic character spotlight on this amazing and memorable player: Here

[image loading]



Special Thanks to:
Duckdeok, again, for being awesome and allowing his fans to interview him.
Seeker for translating, both ways.
And to teamliquid.net ...for providing us StarCraft fans a defacto home on the internet.

****brought to you by neoghaleon55 (some crazy fan who roams TL.net)****
Facebook Twitter Reddit
moo...for DRG
tomastaz
Profile Joined January 2013
United States976 Posts
December 24 2013 06:30 GMT
#2
Shame he decided to retire, but at least it was his own decision and he leaves with no regrets. Thanks for the translation.
No church in the wild --- @tzhang0126
yawnoC
Profile Joined December 2010
United States3704 Posts
December 24 2013 06:35 GMT
#3
I enjoyed reading this. Looking forward to the next one
GG - UNiVeRsE is the best player in the WORLD
purakushi
Profile Joined August 2012
United States3304 Posts
December 24 2013 06:36 GMT
#4
Cool, good luck with being a firefighter if that is the path you end up choosing!

Haha @ DRG being terribad at soccer. Oh well, he gets the girls ><
T P Z sagi
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
December 24 2013 06:37 GMT
#5
thanks for the interview. Good read. DRG being bad at soccer then THE DUCK STRIKES! lol.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
TBone-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2309 Posts
December 24 2013 06:37 GMT
#6
What a great tale was Duckdeok, one of my favorites.
Eve online FC, lover of all competition
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
December 24 2013 06:46 GMT
#7
stop bringing out more tears from me T T
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Dismay
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1180 Posts
December 24 2013 06:53 GMT
#8
It's really hard to find the right words for this. My initial thoughts are just that it's a shame he's retiring because he's got such a likeable personality, but I should be more concerned about the game or something. Ah well. I'm thankful for the moments he gave us and his three years of hard work! I'll miss him.
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
December 24 2013 07:27 GMT
#9
Man if only we could have more player interviews
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
LockeTazeline
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
2390 Posts
December 24 2013 07:46 GMT
#10
"let us make sure that no matter what we do in life, we don’t cause trouble for others and that we always do our very best so that we can keep being awesome people. Fighting along with me!"

What a boss.
ChriS-X
Profile Joined June 2011
Malaysia1374 Posts
December 24 2013 08:36 GMT
#11
fly on, little duck, fly on
TommyP
Profile Joined December 2011
United States6231 Posts
December 24 2013 08:42 GMT
#12
hahaha Duckdeok is hilarious. Fly on
#TheOneTrueDong
Chaggi
Profile Joined August 2010
Korea (South)1936 Posts
December 24 2013 10:22 GMT
#13
Fly on!
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
December 24 2013 10:30 GMT
#14
On December 24 2013 16:46 LockeTazeline wrote:
"let us make sure that no matter what we do in life, we don’t cause trouble for others and that we always do our very best so that we can keep being awesome people. Fighting along with me!"

What a boss.


What a boss indeed
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
Lunareste
Profile Joined July 2011
United States3596 Posts
December 24 2013 10:35 GMT
#15
Thanks for the awesome interview
KT FlaSh FOREVER
Metak
Profile Joined August 2011
296 Posts
December 24 2013 11:14 GMT
#16
Nice interview, thanks!
Pyloss
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany1515 Posts
December 24 2013 11:18 GMT
#17
I enjoyed reading this a lot! Thanks for the interview, the littel duck will always be in my heart!
<3 sOs, Parting, Mana, Honor, TaKe, Mcanning<3
Olli
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Austria24422 Posts
December 24 2013 11:19 GMT
#18
Goodbye you amazing person
Administrator"Declaring anything a disaster because aLive popped up out of nowhere is just downright silly."
Aeromi
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
France14463 Posts
December 24 2013 11:20 GMT
#19
Fly on ! You are amazing !
https://twitter.com/DrAeromi | Updates on live tournaments: @StarCrafteSport
Thango
Profile Joined April 2011
Chile7 Posts
December 24 2013 11:21 GMT
#20
And life goes on, gl lil duck!
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O128
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason126
BRAT_OK 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1103
ZZZero.O 109
Bale 22
League of Legends
Doublelift4447
JimRising 538
Counter-Strike
Fnx 900
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6155
Other Games
summit1g8539
FrodaN2967
B2W.Neo604
KnowMe251
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1399
BasetradeTV296
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 38
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1197
• Shiphtur228
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 19m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 19m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
13h 19m
Monday Night Weeklies
18h 19m
Replay Cast
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 12h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 13h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.