• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:44
CEST 15:44
KST 22:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7962 users

The Artosis Curse: An Examination - Page 18

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 23 Next All
Incognoto
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
France10239 Posts
August 27 2013 15:24 GMT
#341
On August 27 2013 17:54 klymen wrote:
I'm not as educated as Artosis or many of you here. In fact all my guesses are based on fanboyism towards specific players. But that being said I think it's worth noting that there is simply no such thing as a 'prediction based on statistical data' in Starcraft 2. And the reason behind that is because there are no statistical data in Starcraft 2.

Well that's not entirely true. There ARE some statistical data. But given the number of players, maps and races, there aren't enough games to make anything close to a prediction that can be qualified as 'based on statistical data'. The sample is simply too small. A game between Bomber and Innovation on Akilon Wastes cannot be predicated by their respectful TvT results from 10-20 previous TvT games. Not all maps are equal, not all races are equal and not all players are equal. There are enough variables during every match up that small things like jet lag, tournament experience, etc come into play. This makes every game a rather unique and discreet event that shares every little with its predecessors. All the percentages you see during tournament streams although fun and interesting, mean nothing within the scope of how a game is going to turn out.

Also what little statistical data that is collected during a specific set of time, is automatically invalidated following a patch. Regardless of how small a change, anything that affects how the game is played renders all previous results useless for any form of statistical prediction.

So with regards to Artosis and his predictions. There is no question that guy knows his shit. And as much fun as it is to talk/post about the "Artosis Curse™" it is important to note that he does actually make the correct prediction 50% of the time. This might seems a little low for someone who claims that that their predictions are based on "educated and in depth analysis." but in all honesty, what anyone predicates regarding high level Starcraft 2 tournament is just as likely as Artosis predictions.

TL;DR Given the number of races, maps and players there aren't enough data to make a prediction based on statistical data. patches also reset any data collected previously so at very high level there is no way to predict how a game is actually going to turn out. Which makes Artosis predictions for every match up as valid as a coin flip.


You can pick up tendencies though, look at how well Zealously predicts stuff.
maru lover forever
BlackPanther
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States872 Posts
August 28 2013 01:28 GMT
#342
More predictions coming tonight! I'll need a little help recording the later match results because its going to be on way to late for me lol.
painkilla
Profile Joined June 2013
United States695 Posts
August 28 2013 04:04 GMT
#343
Artosis : Bomber, you're never going to win code S.
Bomber won WCS Season 2 finals.
Supernova | TY | Polt | Innovation | forGG | Lucifron | Happy
hansonslee
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States2027 Posts
August 28 2013 07:36 GMT
#344
I am not sure, if people are going to let this thread die peacefully, but I feel sorry for Artosis because his recent blog implied how he is sick and tired of this meme!
Seed's # 1 fan!!! #ForVengeance
BlackPanther
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States872 Posts
August 28 2013 08:58 GMT
#345
On August 28 2013 16:36 hansonslee wrote:
I am not sure, if people are going to let this thread die peacefully, but I feel sorry for Artosis because his recent blog implied how he is sick and tired of this meme!


Honestly I kinda feel for the guy. Imagine your whole life's work centering around a particular niche thing like Starcraft, being the most knowledgeable guy in the world about it, but you don't get the respect you deserve because you make unlucky predictions. Personally, I think hes the coolest person in e-sports and I don't want to make him lose it because we keep propagating this 'meme'. I'm was hoping to make this thread more of an actual representation of how well he predicts more so than a joke thread making fun of his prediction skills. If he ever messages me about it, I'll take it down.
hansonslee
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States2027 Posts
August 28 2013 09:05 GMT
#346
On August 28 2013 17:58 BlackPanther wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2013 16:36 hansonslee wrote:
I am not sure, if people are going to let this thread die peacefully, but I feel sorry for Artosis because his recent blog implied how he is sick and tired of this meme!


Honestly I kinda feel for the guy. Imagine your whole life's work centering around a particular niche thing like Starcraft, being the most knowledgeable guy in the world about it, but you don't get the respect you deserve because you make unlucky predictions. Personally, I think hes the coolest person in e-sports and I don't want to make him lose it because we keep propagating this 'meme'. I'm was hoping to make this thread more of an actual representation of how well he predicts more so than a joke thread making fun of his prediction skills. If he ever messages me about it, I'll take it down.


Btw, I didn't meant to diss your thread because I can see how well you have been updating the thread. I think jokes should be fun, if the subject of the joke is cool with it. Sadly, some people can be sadistic like that :/
Seed's # 1 fan!!! #ForVengeance
BlackPanther
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States872 Posts
August 28 2013 09:11 GMT
#347
On August 28 2013 18:05 hansonslee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2013 17:58 BlackPanther wrote:
On August 28 2013 16:36 hansonslee wrote:
I am not sure, if people are going to let this thread die peacefully, but I feel sorry for Artosis because his recent blog implied how he is sick and tired of this meme!


Honestly I kinda feel for the guy. Imagine your whole life's work centering around a particular niche thing like Starcraft, being the most knowledgeable guy in the world about it, but you don't get the respect you deserve because you make unlucky predictions. Personally, I think hes the coolest person in e-sports and I don't want to make him lose it because we keep propagating this 'meme'. I'm was hoping to make this thread more of an actual representation of how well he predicts more so than a joke thread making fun of his prediction skills. If he ever messages me about it, I'll take it down.


Btw, I didn't meant to diss your thread because I can see how well you have been updating the thread. I think jokes should be fun, if the subject of the joke is cool with it. Sadly, some people can be sadistic like that :/


Yah. I just updated the thread so its more fair for Artosis. Basically I'll only track recent results where it'll be easier to get his predictions. I'll still add old predictions but I won't track them in the prediction rate.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
August 28 2013 10:10 GMT
#348
Artosis cursed half of Code S...
And he is trying to dodge the curse by predicting Jjakji to make it far this time.

http://blog.ibuypower.com/2013/08/code-s-back/
z0rz
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States350 Posts
August 28 2013 12:31 GMT
#349
Artosis is a competitive guy, so it sucks for him to have his name associated with failure (Artosis Pylon, Artosis Curse), but he needs to understand that the memes only exist because of his success.

I mean, think about it. Nobody would give two fucks if Kelly Milkies got a bunch of predictions wrong. Nobody would care if Orb lost a game because of a single pylon. No offense to either, I'm sure they're great people and work(ed?) really hard, but they obviously didn't have nearly the impact as Artosis has had on the scene. He is StarCraft.

It sucks to see what probably seems like the entire community poking fun at you, but it could be so much worse. At least people aren't questioning his passion and dedication like people do with Day[9] and Tasteless (must run in the family). There's no pitchfork mob trying to drive him out of casting like Moletrap and SNM. I could go on but you get the point. Everyone has to deal with negative attention from the community, but I think Artosis gets the lightest form of it.

And I don't think that's a coincidence. He's great, and everyone knows it.
twitch.tv/fartymcbutt
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-28 12:57:36
August 28 2013 12:48 GMT
#350
On August 28 2013 21:31 z0rz wrote:
Artosis is a competitive guy, so it sucks for him to have his name associated with failure (Artosis Pylon, Artosis Curse), but he needs to understand that the memes only exist because of his success.

I mean, think about it. Nobody would give two fucks if Kelly Milkies got a bunch of predictions wrong. Nobody would care if Orb lost a game because of a single pylon. No offense to either, I'm sure they're great people and work(ed?) really hard, but they obviously didn't have nearly the impact as Artosis has had on the scene. He is StarCraft.

It sucks to see what probably seems like the entire community poking fun at you, but it could be so much worse. At least people aren't questioning his passion and dedication like people do with Day[9] and Tasteless (must run in the family). There's no pitchfork mob trying to drive him out of casting like Moletrap and SNM. I could go on but you get the point. Everyone has to deal with negative attention from the community, but I think Artosis gets the lightest form of it.

And I don't think that's a coincidence. He's great, and everyone knows it.


Yeah, it's like Goody's macro. It's funny and awesome because the guy is so amazing. Any bronze can make amusingly bad predictions or queue up 5 SCVs, but it isn't really special. What makes things like this legendary is the fact that, aside from that one glaringly obvious flaw, the person in question wields stupendous talent and skill. It's more of a defining trait, something that makes him unique and interesting, than it is an annoying problem that needs to be fixed. I guess you could say it's become part of the legend.
Artosis's sick hype probably doesn't hurt this meme, either. He's made more than a few tournaments some of the most memorable of my life.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
Crownlol
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3726 Posts
August 28 2013 13:55 GMT
#351
On August 28 2013 16:36 hansonslee wrote:
I am not sure, if people are going to let this thread die peacefully, but I feel sorry for Artosis because his recent blog implied how he is sick and tired of this meme!


That's surprising. The Artosis Curse exists because he's one of the most influential people in the game. Having cooky things like curses and rivalries and traditions is one of the signs of a maturing community- SC2 has been out long enough, and is popular enough, to have these things. Artosis is a figurehead, and everyone associates him with being the premier analyst/knowledgebase (also Apollo). The Artosis Curse might be a slightly dubious honor, but it is an honor none the less! Wear it with pride bro.
shaGuar :: elemeNt :: XeqtR :: naikon :: method
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
August 28 2013 14:08 GMT
#352
On August 28 2013 22:55 Crownlol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2013 16:36 hansonslee wrote:
I am not sure, if people are going to let this thread die peacefully, but I feel sorry for Artosis because his recent blog implied how he is sick and tired of this meme!


That's surprising. The Artosis Curse exists because he's one of the most influential people in the game. Having cooky things like curses and rivalries and traditions is one of the signs of a maturing community- SC2 has been out long enough, and is popular enough, to have these things. Artosis is a figurehead, and everyone associates him with being the premier analyst/knowledgebase (also Apollo). The Artosis Curse might be a slightly dubious honor, but it is an honor none the less! Wear it with pride bro.


Artosis makes his money by selling gameplay knowledge. Having a bad reputation when it comes down to predicting is a serious issue for him.
Crownlol
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3726 Posts
August 28 2013 14:25 GMT
#353
On August 28 2013 23:08 Big J wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2013 22:55 Crownlol wrote:
On August 28 2013 16:36 hansonslee wrote:
I am not sure, if people are going to let this thread die peacefully, but I feel sorry for Artosis because his recent blog implied how he is sick and tired of this meme!


That's surprising. The Artosis Curse exists because he's one of the most influential people in the game. Having cooky things like curses and rivalries and traditions is one of the signs of a maturing community- SC2 has been out long enough, and is popular enough, to have these things. Artosis is a figurehead, and everyone associates him with being the premier analyst/knowledgebase (also Apollo). The Artosis Curse might be a slightly dubious honor, but it is an honor none the less! Wear it with pride bro.


Artosis makes his money by selling gameplay knowledge. Having a bad reputation when it comes down to predicting is a serious issue for him.


I disagree. Artosis makes his money by being a figurehead. "All Publicity is Good Publicity" they say. No one insinuates that Artosis doesn't know what he is talking about... merely that he is cursed when predicting winners.
shaGuar :: elemeNt :: XeqtR :: naikon :: method
Kinon
Profile Joined October 2012
Romania207 Posts
August 28 2013 15:12 GMT
#354
I really understand Artosis. Making fun of a failed prediction is ok. But when you see 20 posts on reddit about it with titles like 'F*uck you Artosis ffs' it's really stupid.
Destructicon
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
4713 Posts
August 28 2013 15:45 GMT
#355
Well the whole curse thing wouldn't be so bad if it was used to casually tease him and only ever so often. But now its gotten to the point where, every time a fan favorite that Artosis was just rooting for loses, he gets a lot of unnecessary hate, and the joke is now way, way too overused.
WriterNever give up, never surrender! https://www.youtube.com/user/DestructiconSC
bsdaemon
Profile Joined July 2012
618 Posts
August 28 2013 15:59 GMT
#356
On August 28 2013 17:58 BlackPanther wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2013 16:36 hansonslee wrote:
I am not sure, if people are going to let this thread die peacefully, but I feel sorry for Artosis because his recent blog implied how he is sick and tired of this meme!


Honestly I kinda feel for the guy. Imagine your whole life's work centering around a particular niche thing like Starcraft, being the most knowledgeable guy in the world about it, but you don't get the respect you deserve because you make unlucky predictions. Personally, I think hes the coolest person in e-sports and I don't want to make him lose it because we keep propagating this 'meme'. I'm was hoping to make this thread more of an actual representation of how well he predicts more so than a joke thread making fun of his prediction skills. If he ever messages me about it, I'll take it down.


I see what you're saying but I hope Artosis take this in stride and continues to predict or cheer for whoever he likes. Will people continue to wait for his predictions? Yup, just like how people look for the Artosis iNcontroL pylon. It is not the most positive image but for the most part everyone knows it is all just for fun. Also, I don't think there's any other SC2 figure apart from Artosis who is constantly mentioned in almost any game.
Incognoto
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
France10239 Posts
August 28 2013 16:24 GMT
#357
On August 29 2013 00:12 Kinon wrote:
I really understand Artosis. Making fun of a failed prediction is ok. But when you see 20 posts on reddit about it with titles like 'F*uck you Artosis ffs' it's really stupid.


No one in this thread is saying fuck you artosis, we're all having a laugh at how what artosis predicts never seems to happen, even though they're perfectly valid predictions.
maru lover forever
julianto
Profile Joined December 2010
2292 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-28 16:32:43
August 28 2013 16:31 GMT
#358
On August 29 2013 01:24 Incognoto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 00:12 Kinon wrote:
I really understand Artosis. Making fun of a failed prediction is ok. But when you see 20 posts on reddit about it with titles like 'F*uck you Artosis ffs' it's really stupid.


No one in this thread is saying fuck you artosis, we're all having a laugh at how what artosis predicts never seems to happen, even though they're perfectly valid predictions.

Unfortunately as this meme grows in popularity, stupid people are bound to take it seriously. Also, the likelihood of Poe's appearing increases.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MasterOfPuppets
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Romania6942 Posts
August 28 2013 16:43 GMT
#359
On August 29 2013 01:31 julianto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 01:24 Incognoto wrote:
On August 29 2013 00:12 Kinon wrote:
I really understand Artosis. Making fun of a failed prediction is ok. But when you see 20 posts on reddit about it with titles like 'F*uck you Artosis ffs' it's really stupid.


No one in this thread is saying fuck you artosis, we're all having a laugh at how what artosis predicts never seems to happen, even though they're perfectly valid predictions.

Unfortunately as this meme grows in popularity, stupid people are bound to take it seriously. Also, the likelihood of Poe's appearing increases.


Meh, there's quite a few people in this community that take some things way too seriously, from EG curse and EG's "dirty money", to in-game "bm", to obvious trolling (see: many of TT1's posts) etc.
"my shaft scares me too" - strenx 2014
Kinon
Profile Joined October 2012
Romania207 Posts
August 28 2013 16:51 GMT
#360
On August 29 2013 01:24 Incognoto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2013 00:12 Kinon wrote:
I really understand Artosis. Making fun of a failed prediction is ok. But when you see 20 posts on reddit about it with titles like 'F*uck you Artosis ffs' it's really stupid.


No one in this thread is saying fuck you artosis, we're all having a laugh at how what artosis predicts never seems to happen, even though they're perfectly valid predictions.


I've actually seen more than 1 thread with such a title. Apparently it stopped being a joke for some people.
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1040
WardiTV786
OGKoka 289
Rex156
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 289
Rex 156
ProTech130
Codebar 5
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2299
Shuttle 2097
Horang2 1386
EffOrt 833
Jaedong 832
BeSt 535
Light 389
Mini 308
Stork 294
firebathero 283
[ Show more ]
ZerO 265
Rush 241
ggaemo 153
Barracks 97
Zeus 89
Shine 74
Killer 65
Sea.KH 56
Hyun 54
Yoon 38
ToSsGirL 31
Shinee 30
Sexy 28
Mong 26
Bale 24
sorry 23
Aegong 21
soO 21
PianO 21
Terrorterran 16
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
zelot 10
HiyA 9
yabsab 7
Icarus 7
Noble 7
Dota 2
qojqva3141
Dendi2072
BananaSlamJamma316
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin358
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes416
Other Games
singsing2285
olofmeister1694
hiko877
B2W.Neo735
Lowko357
Sick191
Pyrionflax190
Liquid`VortiX178
ArmadaUGS95
Mew2King38
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream559
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 13
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH299
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2146
• Nemesis1214
Other Games
• WagamamaTV287
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 16m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 16m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.