• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:02
CEST 05:02
KST 12:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7812 users

Grandmastering the Ladder with Glaive - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
StreetWise
Profile Joined January 2010
United States594 Posts
May 20 2013 19:29 GMT
#21
On May 21 2013 03:51 IPA wrote:
I support any WC3 player. Good luck sir.


I also follow this sentiment. And good luck.
I will not be poisoned by your bitterness
Glaive
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Sweden138 Posts
May 20 2013 19:30 GMT
#22
After recieving a couple of emails from amazingly supportive liquidians out there I feel a bit silly that I left out the fact that I´m currently sponsorless. I´m negotiating with a few different teams that have been able to offer LAN spons (entry fees, travel expenses and hotels). But as of today nothing is finalized, so I encourage any serious organization who is looking to recruit new players to send me an email (alexander.itg@gmail.com). I don´t require any sort of high salary at all as I live a pretty minimalistic lifestyle at the moment (and obviously have yet to actually prove myself in leagues/tournaments) However, as my savings are quickly running dry I will need to cover rent and such in order to be able to continue practicing full time.

On May 21 2013 02:54 dafnay wrote:
how old are u?

MFW I realized I had to stop and think before answering this question. I´m 24 years old

On May 21 2013 02:54 Incognoto wrote:
Hey glaive, you should get (don't you have?) a team liquid stream page. Something like this one: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Dragon

That way, liquidians who are interested in your stream will see that it's up and running whenever they get on team liquid, as long as they hit the "favorite" button at the bottom left of the page. this is a good way to see if someone who isn't featured is on.

I´m not at all familiar with the functionality of TL, I´ve only been using it as a news portal and lurking the forums. That sounds pretty great, thanks for the tip, I´ll try to set that up later today!

On May 20 2013 23:40 GGzerG wrote:
Cool, will stay tuned to see your progress, but this should be a blog.

Perhaps you´re right, my future goal is to have a website where I both blog about my own progress, do coverage and create community content. Could you tell me a little bit about how the blog feature works here on TL?

And to everyone else who has commented and subscribed to my stream: You have no idea how much good your support does for my motivation to keep pursuing this dream of mine, thank you! <3
DBS
Profile Joined July 2012
515 Posts
May 20 2013 20:06 GMT
#23
Most epic lurker post of all time
"a pitchfork is for hay. a trident is for killing bitches." -djwheat
Glaive
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Sweden138 Posts
May 20 2013 21:50 GMT
#24
Break over, more games inc!
_SpiRaL_
Profile Joined December 2012
Afghanistan1636 Posts
May 20 2013 22:01 GMT
#25
How long have you been playing SC2 and how many games? GL I always like to see if RTS skills transfer between games with the top players!
Red and yellow are all I see
Glaive
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Sweden138 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-21 01:56:41
May 20 2013 22:31 GMT
#26
I played quite a bit during the WoL beta, but I didn´t have a computer that could run Sc2 without serious FPS drops as soon as the supply counts went above 100. In the following two years I focused on my university and getting my health situation under control. It took me forever to save enough money for a computer good enough to stream and such, I completed it shortly after HotS was released and have been playing actively since. I´ve played about 500 games of HotS so far, 100 or so of those being toss/zerg just to get a better feel for the other races.

Houston, we have a problem.

[image loading]
Backlash123
Profile Joined July 2012
Canada57 Posts
May 21 2013 01:50 GMT
#27
Kinda cool. He's in my division. :D good luck to you!
reikai
Profile Joined January 2011
United States359 Posts
May 21 2013 02:04 GMT
#28
What is your condition?
Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce. :T:
Glaive
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Sweden138 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-21 03:13:49
May 21 2013 02:59 GMT
#29
I´ve been getting this question a lot lately so I might just include that whole crazy journey in this thread when I get around to it, I just have to find the documents from my earlier accounts and translate them. I´ve always been very open about any and all things related to my condition, so no questions are too personal when it comes to that. I can however imagine that it´s a bit "TMI" for some, so I´ll be putting all disease-related stuff in spoiler tags.

In the mean time, short answer: A particularly nasty case of Crohn´s disease with frequent lung and heart complications. So far I´ve undergone over a dozen surgeries, amputation of the large intestine among others. I´ve actually lost count at this point. Feel free to PM and I´ll answer any questions you may have

Here´s a copy-paste from a PM to another member from earlier today if you´re interested in few more details:
+ Show Spoiler +
In the spring of 2007 I started losing a lot of weight, my stomach was completely messed up to the point where most people don´t enjoy hearing the gruesome details. But since I was graduating high school in only a few months I wasn´t gonna let that get in the way... Like an idiot I kept on practicing for the European championships in Wc3 and finishing the last of my crucial assignments to bump up a few grades to A´s. It was only later that I learned that stress is the most common factor after inheriting the condition from your parents (none of whom are sick). Placing 4th at Dreamhack was the last thing I did before I was hospitalized, at this point my large intestine was at the brink of bursting (Complications? Sepsis and painful death). Young and naive, having never heard of inflammatory bowel dieases I expected a prescription and then being sent on my way.

Instead I was quickly diagnosed with Crohn´s disease (actually I was first diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis, but when the disease kept progressing in ways that didn´t make sense the diagnosis was changed) after 4 weeks in the hospital I had gone from my previous normal weight of 110 kg (at 203 cm) to 76 kg (appearance of an auschwitz victim), not responding to any treatments currently available. They were forced to amputate my large intestine and fit me with an ileostomy. After the surgery I made a swift recovery, started putting on weight again and could return to a somewhat normal life again after about 6 months. Unfortunately Crohn´s is a chronic illness, and it wasn´t done with me yet. I underwent several more surgeries in 2009-2010 (I´ve actually lost count at this point) but could eventually start my studies at university. Up until this point, in spite of semi-living at the hospital I was holding up ridiculously well mentally. In 2010 they performed a so called IRA surgery and regained the ability to go to the bathroom like a normal person - this was the best year of my life.

One day I woke up in the middle of the night, with the sensation of having swallowed glass. A quick ambulance ride and two emergency surgeries later, without knowing what hit me I woke up with a pouch on my stomach again. Suddenly the mental strength that had always been my saving grace was completely shattered. I was sicker than ever, unable to continue my studies, unable to hold down a regular job I spiraled into a depression. I´ve been trying to pick up the pieces of my life ever since. And for the first time in a very long time I´m actually feeling quite optimistic about the future, dare I even say it couldn´t possibly get any worse?

I´ve always been a competative person, competing in various different sports throughout my entire life. At one point I was actually the swedish national champion in chess, eventually my interest shifted toward gaming, Wc3. When I stopped competing alltogether is when shit started going downhill, it took me a long time to figure out what was missing in my life, but finally I realized how much my mind needs the competative aspects of life. Now that I´ve started playing Starcraft again my brain feels rejuvenated. I´m far from out of the woods yet but as I said, I feel like things might finally be looking up for a change!
Diks
Profile Joined January 2010
Belgium1880 Posts
May 21 2013 04:00 GMT
#30
Wow, this is inspiring.
You got so unlucky man, we rarely realise how lucky we are to be in good health when we do.
. I'll be rooting for you
Good Luck, Have Fun
Chrono000
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Korea (South)358 Posts
May 21 2013 04:20 GMT
#31
good luck dude keep everthing updated and use a blog?
GrapeApe
Profile Joined March 2011
1053 Posts
May 21 2013 04:20 GMT
#32
WCR for life.
GOIMBA.com <--- eSports betting :)
IaMaV
Profile Joined April 2012
30 Posts
May 21 2013 04:27 GMT
#33
Good luck, I'll be tuning in to your stream, hopefully I can learn something.

~Cheers
iSometric
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
2221 Posts
May 21 2013 05:06 GMT
#34
Did you ever play Sohu?
strava.com/athletes/zhaodynasty
Glaive
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Sweden138 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-21 15:34:04
May 21 2013 13:31 GMT
#35
On May 21 2013 14:06 iSometric wrote:
Did you ever play Sohu?

Yes.

I never took any important matches off him though. For me, he was one of those imposibly-difficult-to-beat Koreans. Unless you got some "item luck" or nailed a couple of perfect 4-point surrounds in the early game, it felt like playing from behind in every engagement, in spite of actually being even.

I can´t remember if it was vs Soju or Remind but I surprised him with a 2 AoW hunt/glaive push, which is of course not surprising at all since it´s basically what I was known for. But I had snuck a couple of Wisps to the very first green camp he crept on Twisted Meadows, there I built 3 Ancient Protectors and did whatever I could to focus his attention elsewhere. Throughout the small skirmishes and creeping they ate trees into his base so they were in the perfect position with Glaive Throwers hitting his production/main. When it came to beating Koreans on Soju´s level my weapon of choice was almost always my own unconventional strategies (in a way that actually worked at the pro level). But when freakin´everyone started using Panda first vs Human and even Glaive Throwers in Hunt mirror to some extent, meaning everyone was practicing against it, I was a very sad panda indeed :D

Edit: Ok, embarassing, I read Soju instead of suhO and went off on rant. I´m going to have to change my answer to a short and simple "no", then. If memory serves I´m pretty sure I never actually played suhO, the Chinese players started playing in WC3L/NGL looooooooong after the Koreans. And since SaSe would always beat me 2-1 for every major qualifier ever I missed out on a lot of opportunities to play the Chinese players offline.
kaluro
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands760 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-21 13:59:22
May 21 2013 13:57 GMT
#36
On May 20 2013 22:39 Glaive wrote:

I´m known as Glaive (or for any oldschool fan, Beef-on-a-stick) and I´m a former semi-professional gamer.


Hi, I have a genuine question:

What is a semi-professional gamer? You have three types of gamers:

Hobby gamers - Gamers that don't make a living out of gaming, but play the game anyway.
Competitive gamers - Gamers that are serious about improving and compete in tournaments, but barely make any money.
Professional gamers - Gamers that make a living out of gaming, earning enough money to call it a full time job.

As per everything, unless you make (enough) money from what you do, it's not professional.
www.twitch.tv/kaluroo - 720p60fps - Remember the name! - Don't do your best, do whatever it takes.
Glaive
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Sweden138 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-21 14:23:34
May 21 2013 14:12 GMT
#37
On May 21 2013 22:57 kaluro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2013 22:39 Glaive wrote:

I´m known as Glaive (or for any oldschool fan, Beef-on-a-stick) and I´m a former semi-professional gamer.


Hi, I have a genuine question:

What is a semi-professional gamer? You have three types of gamers:

Hobby gamers - Gamers that don't make a living out of gaming, but play the game anyway.
Competitive gamers - Gamers that are serious about improving and compete in tournaments, but barely make any money.
Professional gamers - Gamers that make a living out of gaming, earning enough money to call it a full time job.

As per everything, unless you make (enough) money from what you do, it's not professional.

I don´t exactly agree with your definition of a "competitive gamer", you could not make a dime and still be a competitive gamer. You could also be playing full time (say you´re unmployed at the moment) and not be a professional gamer, simply a competitive one.

A semi-professional gamer would be someone who isn´t playing full time, but still travel, compete, is sponsored and make some money (salary or otherwise). But not making a living purely off of gaming.

Considering I was living at home at the time, still in high school, I was making waaaay more than "enough".

But I guess it´s pretty much synonymous with your definition of a "competitive gamer", just a little less broad of a term. I don´t like arguing semantics though, different communities often have different definitions for the same terms.
Glaive
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Sweden138 Posts
May 21 2013 15:40 GMT
#38
I have the sickest cold so there probably but won´t a lot of commentary today, but it´s definitely time for some games! Stream on!
iSometric
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
2221 Posts
May 22 2013 02:20 GMT
#39
On May 21 2013 22:31 Glaive wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2013 14:06 iSometric wrote:
Did you ever play Sohu?

Yes.

I never took any important matches off him though. For me, he was one of those imposibly-difficult-to-beat Koreans. Unless you got some "item luck" or nailed a couple of perfect 4-point surrounds in the early game, it felt like playing from behind in every engagement, in spite of actually being even.

I can´t remember if it was vs Soju or Remind but I surprised him with a 2 AoW hunt/glaive push, which is of course not surprising at all since it´s basically what I was known for. But I had snuck a couple of Wisps to the very first green camp he crept on Twisted Meadows, there I built 3 Ancient Protectors and did whatever I could to focus his attention elsewhere. Throughout the small skirmishes and creeping they ate trees into his base so they were in the perfect position with Glaive Throwers hitting his production/main. When it came to beating Koreans on Soju´s level my weapon of choice was almost always my own unconventional strategies (in a way that actually worked at the pro level). But when freakin´everyone started using Panda first vs Human and even Glaive Throwers in Hunt mirror to some extent, meaning everyone was practicing against it, I was a very sad panda indeed :D

Edit: Ok, embarassing, I read Soju instead of suhO and went off on rant. I´m going to have to change my answer to a short and simple "no", then. If memory serves I´m pretty sure I never actually played suhO, the Chinese players started playing in WC3L/NGL looooooooong after the Koreans. And since SaSe would always beat me 2-1 for every major qualifier ever I missed out on a lot of opportunities to play the Chinese players offline.

Oops, I meant Suho, not Sohu haha. He was on We.gigabyte or something.
strava.com/athletes/zhaodynasty
ZerglingGM
Profile Joined May 2013
3 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-22 03:02:20
May 22 2013 02:47 GMT
#40
Nice post! Keep up the good work.
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft454
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft481
PiGStarcraft454
RuFF_SC2 187
PiLiPiLi 22
SpeCial 5
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1415
White-Ra 187
Hyuk 50
Noble 42
Bale 30
Icarus 1
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm199
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 667
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox764
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor667
Other Games
summit1g10482
Coldzera 851
JimRising 429
C9.Mang0335
ViBE65
ArmadaUGS34
Liquid`Ken7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick726
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream85
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 107
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo717
• Stunt198
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 59m
Online Event
7h 59m
FEL
12h 59m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 59m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 59m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.