• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:00
CEST 15:00
KST 22:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7720 users

[Interview] GSL 2013 Season 1 Code S RO8 Day 1

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
storywriter
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia528 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 16:53:06
February 21 2013 16:16 GMT
#1
AzubuSymbol

[image loading]

You have gotten into Code S Semi-finals for the first time in your life. Tell us how you feel about today's win and advancing to the Semi-finals

This was the first time I felt so nervous since my debut match. There were too many minor mistakes. I am slightly dazed but still feeling great at the same time.

You were very aggressive right from the first set so was there a reason?

I watched every VOD of Innovation that was available and he seemed to play standard every time. I found gaps in such play. Zerg always gets ahead if both players are greedy so I planned to set up a strong economy early on and use it to strike my opponent. As long as I chose the right timing, I was convinced I would get ahead with my superior supply.

Your loss in Set 1 must have been disappointing

The build I used in Set 1 was designed to counter a quick expansion by Innovation. It's a build HyuN used to use but I altered it slightly to suit my style. I was supposed to take out the siege tanks with the Broodlords but Innovation saw through my play and took them out. I was very ahead but nerves got the better of me.

In Set 2 on Neo Planet S, you used a strategy similar to the one in Set 1. This map is known for the roach/infestor aggression lately so what was your rationale for choosing the strategy?

Neo Planet S has no watchtowers. This means a Zerg can spread creep at an uncontrollable rate. This strategy counters not only bio but also mech. When I saw that Innovation had a bio composition, I chose banelings instead of infestors. I was convinced I could win in a battle of attrition.

Did you expect Banshees in Set 3?

Not at all. I saw three dots on the minimap and assumed they were medivacs. So I made some banelings and lo and behold, flying menaces in my base. Then again, I was going to attack into him even if he were macroing up.

Set 4 left a lot to be desired

I used a roach/ling/bling attack but at the time, I was fine with it being defended and not doing any actual damage. As planned, I spread creep to my opponent's third base location and normally, no one scouts this area. However, Innovation did. From then on, I was behind. I chose an all-in strategy and Innovation countered perfectly with a macro strategy. It was very hard to catch up from there.

You used the Nydus Worm in Set 5

I tried macroing on the map and it never worked well for me. That's why I chose an all-in. I watched every single VOD played on Icarus. I saw True on Team 8 use the Nydus Worm. So I copied it straight away and no Terran was able to hold it. Normally, no one has marines on the low ground but Innovation seems to have expected my strategy and had marines ready. Even so, I was sure I would break through. This is strategy is foolproof. Even if the Terran counters it all out, they lose SCVs and they have a hard time in the late game.

Who do you want to face in the next round?

I don't really mind. I think a Protoss would be good for putting on good games.

You recently joined your team's training house. How is the atmosphere?

We got close very quickly. I didn't know too many hyungs (T/N: respectful term for older male used by younger males) in my old team but they're all nice to me so it's no problem getting to know them. Also, everyone is playing HotS now so it's kind of difficult to ask for practice on WoL when I'm the only one playing it. Well, what could I do. I wanted to win my games so I asked for practice nonetheless and they were more than willing to help me out.

Many Zerg players are complaining about HotS

I haven't played it myself but I watch VODs and streams to get an idea. Defintely, ZvT looks difficult. Zerglins are supposed to surround the enemy's army while on creep but Hellbats negate that completely. Medivac Boost needs changes also.

How likely do you think it is that you win the whole season?

I haven't thought about that yet. I was hoping desperately to get past RO8. Really not sure yet. I will try my best.

Anything to add?

I asked Coach Iris for a favour because I wanted to get to the studio early today. I want to thank him for dropping me off so early even though he is very busy. I want to thank my teammates and Center on Quantic who helped me practise even though they are busy switching to HotS. Also, former TSL Zergs gave me so much help. I can't express how grateful I am. I also want to thank True who showed me the solution to Icarus. I am not happy with my play which has too many mistakes arising from nerves. I promise to show better form in RO4.

Source: ThisisGame

StartaleCurious

[image loading]

You have succeeded in advancing from RO8 to RO4. How does it feel to beat your PB?

Fantastic. PartinG told me that he would stop me but I was confident that wouldn't happen. I didn't get to show all of them but I have several very strong ZvP strategies.

Your play was full of ambition and resilience. What was your focus?

Lately, the age of infestors had ended in ZvP. So I focused on the Mutalisk. I became convinced during practice that I could take the win today. I almost never lost in practice.

You showed a long macro game with Broodlords in Set 1

I should have ended it with 3-3 upgraded Broodlords, Corruptors and Infestors. However, I somehow screwed up my army composition and did not have enough corruptors while maxed out. My attack was defended due to that mistake but I abused the map to my advantage. I believe that was the best way for me to win.

You took the win in Set 2 with Mutalisks

PartinG likes to go nexus first without scouting so I had a strategy prepared for that. However, I saw him scout with a probe. I used that again him. That convinced me that he was going double nexus and took control of the game with Mutalisks. There was nothing PartinG could have done at the point to scare me.

You went for Hydras in Set 3

Life had a big impact on me. Seeing him use Hydras in tournament games was so cool so I asked him to teach me. Hydra builds can be countered heavily so I had it saved for one set only.

Did you expect a 3:0 victory?

Yes. If I took the first set, 3:0, if not, 3:1.

Your next opponent is Symbol who like you has just advanced to RO4 for the first time in his life

So far, Symbol has been doing better than me but as those who have smashed their own limitations, I hope we can put on great games. I hope whoever wins out of us goes on to win the whole season as an ESF Zerg representative. Not that I plan on losing to give him that chance.

Was it difficult to prepare for ZvP?

I found it difficult at first but I eventually figured it out. Teammates were also a lot of help. I think that's when my ZvP started improving. I actually lost a lot on the ladder trying to keep my strategies hidden. However, I wasn't worried at all since I had my cards ready.

Today's match had the theme of KeSPA vs ESF

I don't really distinguish between the two. Not that KeSPA players are lower class or anything but I do wish ESF players stepped it up a bit.

How far will the Code S reader advance?

I think I did well to get past RO8. I think PartinG underestimated me way too much thinking of how I used to be. I have been honing my skills and waiting for the right moment. Having advanced so far, I guess I should send everyone down to Code A (laugh) Even if you aren't in Code A for next season, I can certainly send you there if we meet. Also, I declared that I would be reborn as a champion in HotS and I think that rebirth just might happen sooner than expected (laugh)

Anything to add?

I want to thank the sponsors Red Bull, Zowie and Joy Gear. I owe today's victory to Life, Avenge and Panic. FXOTear and LG-IM Younghwa also helped out a lot. I would like to thank PartinG for today's match.

Source: ThisisGame
Translator
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19393 Posts
February 21 2013 16:25 GMT
#2
Symbol's nydus play was pretty strong but I feel like he basically told terran players it's going to happen to them when he plays on that map. We shall see if he ends up playing Taeja.

Curious's interview was really confusing to me. + Show Spoiler +
It's in korean right now lol


Ty storywriter!
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Confuse
Profile Joined October 2009
2238 Posts
February 21 2013 16:34 GMT
#3
really looking forward to curious interview translation! he just swept over parting like it was nothing, really impressive.
If we fear what we do not understand, then why is ignorance bliss?
NovemberstOrm
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Canada16217 Posts
February 21 2013 16:39 GMT
#4
Thanks Storywriter!
Moderatorlickypiddy
WhX
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany778 Posts
February 21 2013 16:39 GMT
#5
Good interview from Symbol with interesting insights of his build orders and how they were supposed to work on the played maps.
Thanks for the interview, obviously looking forward to Curious' interview!
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
February 21 2013 16:43 GMT
#6
the return of storywriter!

thanks for the interviews
Zealously
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
East Gorteau22261 Posts
February 21 2013 16:45 GMT
#7
CURIOUS ROUND OF 4 WOOHOO NOTHING ELSE EVEN MATTERS
AdministratorBreak the chains
garlicface
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada4196 Posts
February 21 2013 16:50 GMT
#8
On February 22 2013 01:45 Zealously wrote:
CURIOUS ROUND OF 4 WOOHOO NOTHING ELSE EVEN MATTERS

Code S finalist reader.
#TeamBuLba
mrRoflpwn
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States2618 Posts
February 21 2013 16:51 GMT
#9
CURIOUS!!! From Round of 16 to ROUND OF 4 ALL AT ONCE BABY!!! Such dominating play against the Money Man!
Long live the Boss Toss!
storywriter
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia528 Posts
February 21 2013 16:52 GMT
#10
Curious interview done

On February 22 2013 01:43 Dodgin wrote:
the return of storywriter!

thanks for the interviews


Never went away. Seeker and Wozzot have a stranglehold on the interview translating business though haha.
Translator
KanoCoke
Profile Joined June 2011
Japan863 Posts
February 21 2013 17:08 GMT
#11
Haha, Curious being so badass now.

I hope he gets past Symbol and the would-be finalist and actually claims his first championship. He's suffered for too long now.
Will always cheer for: MMA Bomber Taeja Curious Life herO Zest
ThePrince
Profile Joined October 2010
Peru331 Posts
February 21 2013 17:11 GMT
#12
tHanks Storywriter!
SK_MC, ST_Parting, STX_Bogus fighting!!! Colossi should shoot nukes and blink.
Gorlin
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2753 Posts
February 21 2013 17:16 GMT
#13
Ha, right after the Seeker and Wozzot alliance, storywriter pops in and robs'em blind.
Man I'm happy for Curious and Symbol, they've deserved a semi-final for so long.
WhX
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany778 Posts
February 21 2013 17:17 GMT
#14
Curious as confident as he should be. Just hoping it won't turn into overconfidence and effect his gameplay negatively.
Assirra
Profile Joined August 2010
Belgium4169 Posts
February 21 2013 17:23 GMT
#15
Curious sounds so confident, now if only his facial expression would match that a bit more
ACrow
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6583 Posts
February 21 2013 17:23 GMT
#16
On February 22 2013 01:52 storywriter wrote:
Curious interview done

Show nested quote +
On February 22 2013 01:43 Dodgin wrote:
the return of storywriter!

thanks for the interviews


Never went away. Seeker and Wozzot have a stranglehold on the interview translating business though haha.

Did you have to pay some protection money to be allowed to write the translation for once?
Thanks for you efforts!!
Get off my lawn, young punks
Azurues
Profile Joined March 2011
Malaysia5612 Posts
February 21 2013 17:24 GMT
#17
KESPA player time to STEP UP BOY
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
February 21 2013 17:35 GMT
#18
Go Curious! This is your season! Great ZvZ player and ZvP we've already seen able to beat MC
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
GhoSt[shield]
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2131 Posts
February 21 2013 17:48 GMT
#19
On February 22 2013 01:50 garlicface wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2013 01:45 Zealously wrote:
CURIOUS ROUND OF 4 WOOHOO NOTHING ELSE EVEN MATTERS

Code S finalist reader.


Curious is like Ryung.
Plays memorable games (for good or bad ie Curious v Creator on Cloud Kingdom BL/Infestor/Spine v Carriers) and noone ever roots for them.
Double Forgotten Sons
LimitSEA
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia9580 Posts
February 21 2013 17:53 GMT
#20
Ty storywriter! Really psyched to see Curious and Symbol get through. Can't wait to see which gets to take it to the finals. :D
Long live the King of Wings
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 226
TKL 202
CranKy Ducklings70
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Reynor vs herOLIVE!
RotterdaM1150
IndyStarCraft 209
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1150
Lowko483
IndyStarCraft 209
TKL 202
Rex 93
ProTech37
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 63259
Free 2873
Jaedong 2372
BeSt 732
Horang2 324
firebathero 192
Zeus 186
Hyun 126
Last 120
Mind 90
[ Show more ]
Pusan 78
ToSsGirL 47
soO 27
Aegong 22
scan(afreeca) 22
Sacsri 11
zelot 10
Trap 9
Noble 8
Icarus 3
Dota 2
Gorgc6134
Dendi869
XaKoH 458
canceldota69
Other Games
gofns36275
singsing2340
B2W.Neo485
byalli374
Pyrionflax328
ToD191
DeMusliM135
QueenE56
Liquid`VortiX34
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV240
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 28
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP21
• Gemini_19 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1778
• WagamamaTV517
League of Legends
• Jankos3202
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h
Patches Events
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
OSC
1d 23h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.