• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:05
CEST 12:05
KST 19:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8288 users

[Interview] Firebathero becomes a GSTL commentator

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
storywriter
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia528 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-26 09:07:00
September 26 2012 08:59 GMT
#1
[ThisTalk] 흑운장 (T/N: look at the extended note at the end) Firebathero returns as a GSTL commentator

“I want to become a ‘global’ commentator”


Known as a master of flamboyant ceremonies, 흑운장 Firebathero is making a comeback as a commentator for GSTL. Since being discharged from airforce ACE and after considering his future options, Firebathero gave up on returning to Samsung Khan and found a new direction. Famous for his colourful words as a progamer, his newly chosen path is that of a commentator. Now, we get to meet Firebathero in his new position as the newest GSTL commentator.

When Firebathero visisted the ThisisGame headquarters on the 19th, he seemed full of fear about his new position as a commentator. However, that is not to say that his patented full-on confidence from his progaming days had disappeared. He revealed his goal to become an internationally recognized commentator beyond GSL and GSTL and said “I will utilize my experience from programing to the fullest extent as I take on the challenge of commentating for a team league”

With absolutely no qualifications as a commentator, Firebathero is the definition of novice. However, his reasons and aspirations for choosing such a path were crystal clear. As we cheer on his dream to become an international commentator, let’s talk to this wet-behind-the-ears commentator who waits for his debut at the GSTL Season 3 Round 2 Group B on the 22nd.
By ThisisGame reporter Kim, Kyung Hyun



[image loading]


How have you been since being discharged?

I was discharged on the fourth of September and initially, I stayed at home to consider my options and make plans for the future. After returning to Seoul, I did a lot of looking around trying to find my own path.

What was your reason for not returning to Samsung Khan?

Samsung was happy to have me back and offered me a great deal. However, I couldn’t make up my mind. It’s strange but I tend to become very pensive towards the end of a year. Among the thoughts I had was to leave progaming altogether to seek a new path.

Is there a critical reason that made you give up programing?

After the discharge, I did a brainstorm of all the things I could do in the future and had a serious reflection. I considered the possible income, the amount of effort I would need to put in and made sure I took enough time to come to a decision. One of the positions I considered was becoming a commentator and luck was on my side as I learned that Gom TV was looking to hire someone. Things just came together for me.

Any regrets on ending your progaming career?

I would be lying if I said no. However, I have resolved to move on. I am trying hard to leave those regrets behind.

How did you feel when you played Starcraft 2 for the first time?

It was so much fun. And I had high expectations before it came out too. I really hope people at least give it a go. I am sure there are many people out there who haven’t even touched the game but their opinion on the game will change once they play. Just once is all it takes. I am speaking from experience.

Your score in proleague was 1-3. You even changed races.

I just found it too uncomfortable to be playing when I wasn’t fully prepared. Initially, there were only one or two grandmasters on the team and the rest were high masters. It was shameful for us to be playing broadcasted matches when we were so badly underprepared.

You had a flair for words as a player. We expect this will help you as a commentator.

I don’t think so. I thought it would but that’s not the case. Commentating takes a different set of skills compared to just impressing people with words. I am quite worried about my upcoming performance.

Other Gom TV commentators already have a very high level of knowledge about the game. How are you faring in that aspect?

It hasn’t been long since I started playing Starcraft 2. My knowledge about Terran and Zerg is especially lacking. In Starcraft 1, even though I was a Terran player, with the number of games I had played, I was confident to say I knew enough about the other two races. However, that is certainly not the case in Starcraft 2. Compared to my colleagues, my understanding of the game is definitely lacklustre. However, I am confident that I will understand the mindset of the players the best. I think I can become a commentator who not only understands the game but also understands the people who are playing that game.

When news about you becoming a commentator got out, many fans expressed their concerns.

Honestly, I will have to disagree with the opinion that my style of speaking is not suitable for broadcast. Sure, I have a bit of a rural accent and my voice is a bit nasal. However, that’s not what I need to be focusing on as a commentator. It’s how I can convey information to the fans in the most appealing way possible.

So now you are a GSTL commentator. Considering the fact that it is a team league, will you focus on explaining the subtleties that happen outside the game?

Every coach has their own way of setting up a playing order. It won’t be easy for me to figure those out. However, with my wealth of experience both inside the booth and on the bench, I think I have a fair shot at the task. I should be able to provide insight the viewers have never been privy to.

[image loading]


How are you preparing specifically?

Rather than actually playing the game, I’ve been watching VODs and broadcasts lately. I turn the volume off or very low and do mock commentaries. A commentator not only has to explain the game but also has to keep up with the broadcast itself so I’m working on that aspect. As a player, you never learn or care about these things so I’m trying hard to catch up. Also, I meet up with the other commentators and do rehearsals.

You will be working with Mr Hwang, a commentator, and Mr Seo, a caster

It was great to have a caster in the middle with two commentators on each side. Mr Seo does a great job leading us and has great answers to what I say. It’s making rehearsals a breeze. We’ll have to see if that carries over to the real thing. I think the biggest factor is whether I get nervous.

You may receive negative feedback in the beginning

I think I can take the articles but the comments will hit me hard (laugh). However, I went through it all as a progamer so it should be okay. I just need to try my best.

What is your view on commentating?

The main reason I became a commentator was because I wanted to go international. There are a lot of progamer turned commentators but none has managed to go to overseas tournaments. I want to be someone who can perform overseas with fluent English. It’s my dream to commentate at tournaments like MLG, IEM and IPL.

Certainly, becoming a Gom TV commentator takes you closer to that goal

I agree. That was one of the reasons I decided on Gom. In particular, Code A Round 1 held during the days is broadcast in English. GSL is a league recognised not just in Korea but around the world so starting here is great. Once I become confident about my commentating skills, I’ll start studying English properly. My brother lived overseas for a long time so he’s a great help.

How do you want to be known as a commentator?

Currently, I want to be the person who explains what the players are supposed to be doing. Past the early mid game, there are a very large number of choices that the players have to make so I want to explain to the viewers what they should be doing. It won’t be easy but I will try my best.

Do you want to participate in the GSL or other entertainment programs run by Gom?

Of course. However, I also know that I am not ready yet. I think I will get plenty of opportunities once I am skilled enough.

Are you sure you will never want to go back to being a player?

Now, you’re asking too much (laugh). Even now when I see the big stages, I have to hold back tears of longing. However, I will set those feelings aside. I plan to devote myself to commentating only.

Are there any Federation players who impressed you?

I know Lucky and Byul from our days in Samsung. However, MC is the one player who impresses me every time he plays. I have known him since I was an amateur and we’re very close even to date. When I watch his games, I can’t help but be awed at his builds. Then, he surprises me with even better execution of said builds. You can’t tell just from watching but when you are in the player’s shoes, the psychological stress is almost palpable. MC is a player who can be hard to figure out and once I am at a level where I can predict his moves, I think I will have done a good job improving my commentating.

[image loading]


Anything you want to tell or ask the fans?

I would like to apologise to my fans for no longer playing and showing great ceremonies. I’m sure there are those who are disappointed and others who will cheer me on. I would like to show every single one of those fans how I will continue to grow. Be sure to watch me become a commentator recognised by the world.

Anything to add?

I admit I didn’t really think of others when I made this decision to change careers. I would like thank Coach Kim, Ka Eul and Samsung for being so considerate. From now on, I will show you just how awesome Firebathero really is.

T/N: 흑운장 refers to Guan Yu from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. 흑 means black or dark which refers to how Guan Yu was famous for his dark face and Firebathero also having a dark face. 운장 is Guan Yu’s other name. All this came about when Firebathero said he would finish a game before his Kimbap (Korean food that looks like sushi) gets cold (Guan Yu is famous for refusing a drink from a superior saying that he would drink it once he had defeated the enemy general and he managed to return before the drink got cold). Firebathero won that game.

Source: ThisisGame
Translator
storywriter
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia528 Posts
September 26 2012 09:00 GMT
#2
Opterown asked me to translate this article and I couldn't say no since we're besties (I'll track you down if you deny this claim)
Translator
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 26 2012 09:02 GMT
#3
Oh wow that's cool that he wants to learn fluent english so he can commentate at mlg and stuff. That would be really badass.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Porcelina
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United Kingdom3249 Posts
September 26 2012 09:05 GMT
#4
On September 26 2012 18:00 storywriter wrote:
Opterown asked me to translate this article and I couldn't say no since we're besties (I'll track you down if you deny this claim)


Then thanks must be extended to both of you!

Also, Firebathero providing commentary in English would be some kind of weird, incredible dream.
SupLilSon
Profile Joined October 2011
Malaysia4123 Posts
September 26 2012 09:05 GMT
#5
Thanks for this! So excited to hear that he aims to commentate in English at foreign tournaments one day!
Stancel
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Singapore15360 Posts
September 26 2012 09:07 GMT
#6
whoa

thanks for translating this long article, really interesting!
ffxiv enjoyer
bgx
Profile Joined August 2010
Poland6595 Posts
September 26 2012 09:07 GMT
#7
Awesome guy, i wish him best.

I was sad there will be no KHAN reunion but i let it go, GL FBH, great player and entertainer. Hope for great commentator.
Stork[gm]
MCXD
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Australia2738 Posts
September 26 2012 09:07 GMT
#8
What is your view on commentating?

The main reason I became a commentator was because I wanted to go international. There are a lot of progamer turned commentators but none has managed to go to overseas tournaments. I want to be someone who can perform overseas with fluent English. It’s my dream to commentate at tournaments like MLG, IEM and IPL.


Whoa, that would be badass.

But you know what would be pretty cool I think too? If he became a dedicated korean commentator for foreign tourneys. Either would be really cool.
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
September 26 2012 09:07 GMT
#9
thankyouverymuch good read!
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
Cejotas
Profile Joined March 2011
Spain88 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-26 09:13:09
September 26 2012 09:12 GMT
#10
great translation, if he finally casts in english it will be epic
Asha
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom38257 Posts
September 26 2012 09:13 GMT
#11
Very good interview, he seems to really enjoy his SC2 and there's several neat bits in there.

I found it interesting that we often scoff at the "global" tag because of the lack of non-koreans participating, but FBH seems to be really into it from the other side where it's a league that's not just consumed by korea but by people all around the world.

Also if he wants to cast something in English, he should start practising on pre-game shows! =p
Lysanias
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands8351 Posts
September 26 2012 09:15 GMT
#12
cheers storywriter, great read ! I'm happy a big name like Firebathero remains in the scene.
glzElectromaster
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Japan2474 Posts
September 26 2012 09:27 GMT
#13
Damnnnnn I am longing for the day he starts commenting in English :DDD
RIP Kt. Violet | In solitude, where we are least alone
Fragile51
Profile Joined October 2011
Netherlands15767 Posts
September 26 2012 09:40 GMT
#14
Thanks so much, i was dying for a translation of this interview. I really hope FBH manages to make his dreams come true and commentate overseas events :D
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12057 Posts
September 26 2012 09:51 GMT
#15
Oh man sweet he wants to get better at English so he can broadcast overseas. That's awesome! <333
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
Porcelina
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United Kingdom3249 Posts
September 26 2012 09:55 GMT
#16
On September 26 2012 18:13 Asha` wrote:
Very good interview, he seems to really enjoy his SC2 and there's several neat bits in there.

I found it interesting that we often scoff at the "global" tag because of the lack of non-koreans participating, but FBH seems to be really into it from the other side where it's a league that's not just consumed by korea but by people all around the world.

Also if he wants to cast something in English, he should start practising on pre-game shows! =p


Please yes! The pre-game shows were pretty gold. For all kinds of reasons.

Adding a little FBH there would not hurt it one bit either.
251
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1401 Posts
September 26 2012 09:55 GMT
#17
Lee Sungeun had true Gangnam Style in BW. Hope he brings the flair to commentating and wish him all the success!
"If you can chill..........then chill."
Ace1123
Profile Joined September 2011
Philippines1187 Posts
September 26 2012 09:55 GMT
#18
Gl FBH!
ForGG, Mvp, MMA, MarineKing, BoxeR,
mcmartini
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Australia1972 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-26 10:04:43
September 26 2012 10:00 GMT
#19
On September 26 2012 17:59 storywriter wrote:
When news about you becoming a commentator got out, many fans expressed their concerns.

Honestly, I will have to disagree with the opinion that my style of speaking is not suitable for broadcast. Sure, I have a bit of a rural accent and my voice is a bit nasal. However, that’s not what I need to be focusing on as a commentator. It’s how I can convey information to the fans in the most appealing way possible.



This made me sad, I thought it was only foreign fans who felt entitled and complained about casters, it seems that isn't the case Happy to see him staying in esports though and would love some english commentating from a korean who is fluent in english. Everytime I see a subbed BW VOD I am in awe of the depth of knowledge they have.
I just want to say I have 370 APM - Liquid'Tyler SotG 14-12-2011 "I mean it's too bad you can't be paid to be, you know, a chicken shit fucking whiny bitch on the internet or we would have lots of rich community members" Nick "Tasteless" Plott
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
September 26 2012 10:03 GMT
#20
Firebathero rules. :D
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19024
firebathero 2223
Bisu 683
Hyuk 465
Horang2 220
BeSt 205
EffOrt 114
Sexy 111
Larva 109
Leta 108
[ Show more ]
Soma 94
Killer 84
Dewaltoss 82
Light 81
ZerO 55
ToSsGirL 49
soO 43
Rush 36
Pusan 35
Yoon 35
Sharp 32
Shinee 25
Aegong 23
NaDa 21
Bale 21
Sacsri 20
Hm[arnc] 16
sorry 14
JulyZerg 11
Barracks 7
Noble 5
Terrorterran 4
Dota 2
Fuzer 178
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1001
byalli749
kRYSTAL_49
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor952
crisheroes716
Other Games
gofns35108
singsing1717
olofmeister1095
Mew2King98
ArmadaUGS52
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2373
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 55m
OSC
11h 55m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 55m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.