• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:56
CEST 20:56
KST 03:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9131 users

[Interview] GSL July Code S Champion

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-30 14:49:33
July 30 2011 13:05 GMT
#1
[T/N I'm still new to the whole StarCraft 2 thing, but I'm willing to learn, so if you guys see anything egregiously wrong, please don't hesitate to point it out to me!]

Your winner is....

+ Show Spoiler +

NESTEA

[image loading]

Thoughts on the win?
I’m extremely glad to be the first player to win 3 GSLs. The games went very smoothly, without many unexpected variables. When I was up 2-0, I felt like there was no way I would lose game 3, so I considered the score 3-0. I had primarily prepared for the 4th and 5th games, so at that point I felt a 4-0 victory was well within reach.

In game 2, you used overseers effectively to block your opponent’s production.
I had planned to use this strategy in game 5, but every time I went to attack in game 2 I was pushed back. I thought about it, and even if my opponent blocked my overseers he would still take damage, and plus if I won game 2 with overseers then I might never see game 5. So I felt like unleashing this cheese in game 2 would be the best choice. If I hadn’t used overseers, it would have been tough to secure the victory.

This was a teamkill game, and during the pre-finals interview LosirA sounded pretty confident.
I think he was trying to hype up the series, and that’s pretty qt. In practice, I knew this day would come, so I kept a couple strategies hidden.

With your third GSL win, you are now first in the GSL point rankings as well as total earnings. Which are you happiest about?
Being top in GSL points, because it means I can participate in more competitions.

How do you feel you are different from other zergs?
I don’t know either. I just hope to get some rest; I think I’m getting old, heh. Although if I don’t seize my opportunities right now, I don’t want to think about what my future will be like. If I don’t work very hard while at my peak, it’ll be tough to survive in this scene, so I’m continuing to put in extraordinary effort.
Although there are a lot of players who work extremely hard, I don’t think any work harder than me. I don’t travel anywhere for fun, and I really hope to get a break. My practice partners say my worker count is always higher than other zergs’, so I guess that would be a difference. This isn’t a secret so much as a habit.

In game 4, you used an extreme strategy to win the game.
Originally, if my opponent expanded in game 2, I would have played like this. This cheese was something I prepared beforehand. LosirA loves to take expansions stealthily, so this cheese was designed to attack that weakness. Even if my first wave didn’t take the game, I felt that using management like in game 2 could still net me the win.

And your reason for not using banelings?
Everyone has his own style, whether it’s banelings or roaches, and the winner is decided by who plays better. I already knew my opponent’s tactics, so that wasn’t much of a hindrance. Who uses which strategy doesn’t matter as much as who uses his strategy well.

Could you evaluate LosirA’s play briefly?
Today’s tactics were ones I hadn’t ever displayed before. It’s possible that because he was facing these for the first time, he didn’t respond well. Although LosirA’s play did leave me somewhat disappointed, he was no small challenge to beat.

What if other players start using the strategies you used today? [T/N This question translation credit to Telcontar]
There are builds which can beat them. I would be thankful if they did use it.

About how many new strategies did you prepare?
I couldn’t possibly use these except against an opponent of LosirA’s caliber. These were all tactics I had researched beforehand, but I was never able to use them. However, the only secret weapons I’ve saved are the ones I won with today.

Some worry that because of the dominance of the swarm, terran won’t be nerfed for some time.
I have three wins, so I really shouldn’t be talking about nerfing terran or anything like that; it’s kinda awkward. To be honest, ZvT is pretty tough, but it’s not impossible. We shouldn’t blindly call for terran nerfs before investigating and researching the matchup more.

There hasn’t yet been a player to win the GSL twice in a row.
As a progamer, the only possible goal is to become a champion. To become a champion, I work hard. I won’t look at what’s already happened, only at what is still to come.

The players MC and MVP who are competing with you for the title of #1 player are catching up fast.
As long as they don’t meet in the finals, I won’t let them catch up to me. I’ll eliminate them if they advance. Right now, I’m #1, so I shouldn’t have anything to fear. [T/N I think NesTea sounds a bit arrogant in my English translation – I apologize, because his tone sounds less arrogant in the Chinese and I couldn’t find a better translation]

A lot of players want you to pick them in the upcoming group selection.
I’ve read all the interviews where players say that, but I won’t pay much attention to it. I’ll pick who I want to, although I haven’t yet decided who. I’ll think about it after I go home today.

Anything else?
I want to thank Horror, TSL_RevivaL, and the other players who practiced with me. They all helped me train an incredible amount, especially Horror, who even came to my home to practice. These guys have worked so hard. LosirA got the silver medal, but he’ll definitely have more shots in the future, so I hope he’ll keep on training. Lastly, I’d like to thank IM’s sponsors. In the future, we’ll definitely achieve even greater things to repay your support!



source: http://sc2.plu.cn/interviews/2011-07-30/32159.html , originally from PlayXP
Translator:3
Karakaxe
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden585 Posts
July 30 2011 13:08 GMT
#2
is he for real?
Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight.
DisaFear
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia4074 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-30 13:13:13
July 30 2011 13:10 GMT
#3
Thank you for the translation, I missed most of the games due to other commitments
<3 NesTea, very hard working and likeable guy
How devious | http://anartisticanswer.blogspot.com.au/
snafoo
Profile Joined August 2010
New Zealand1615 Posts
July 30 2011 13:12 GMT
#4
Oh what, he doesn't live in the team house?
Xivsa
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1009 Posts
July 30 2011 13:13 GMT
#5
Nice interview. Props to Nestea for using his version of shock and awe against LosirA. He was even a bit disappointed in Losira's play, for understandable reasons. Of all the kinds of 4-0 wins, a series like this is what I like to see as Nestea-Inca was a lot less enjoyable.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - Bilbo
Dubzex
Profile Joined October 2010
United States6994 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-30 13:16:04
July 30 2011 13:15 GMT
#6
Thanks for the translation.+ Show Spoiler +
Nestea
is such a nerd-baller.
"DONT UNDERESTIMATE MY CARRY OR YOU WILL BE CARRIED INTO THE ABYSS OF SUFFERING" - Tyler 'TC' Cook
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
July 30 2011 13:16 GMT
#7
On July 30 2011 22:12 snafoo wrote:
Oh what, he doesn't live in the team house?

It's not clear, as the literal translation would be "place of residency." I put "home" to be slightly less wordy.
Translator:3
nkulu
Profile Joined September 2010
United States242 Posts
July 30 2011 13:16 GMT
#8
Awesome. Nestea busting out them special tactics even his team mates don't know about.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
July 30 2011 13:17 GMT
#9
the link has been 404'd
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
GetToDaChopa
Profile Joined September 2010
United States206 Posts
July 30 2011 13:18 GMT
#10
"In game 2, you used overseers effectively to block your opponent’s mining."

Does this mean he used changlings to stand in the mineral line?
rasnj
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1959 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-30 13:22:13
July 30 2011 13:21 GMT
#11
Thanks a lot for the translation.

I think you may slightly have mistranslated one question:
+ Show Spoiler +

"In game 2, you used overseers effectively to block your opponent’s mining." doesn't make any sense to me as he didn't block any mining and overseers aren't really capable of doing that. Are you sure it shouldn't be:
"In game 2, you used overseers effectively to block your opponent’s production."
Overseers were used to contaminate hatcheries and evolution chambers which halts larvae production and halts upgrades.


EDIT:
@GetToDaChopa: He didn't do that, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work due to workers mineral walking through units.
shannn
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2891 Posts
July 30 2011 13:22 GMT
#12
On July 30 2011 22:16 infinitestory wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2011 22:12 snafoo wrote:
Oh what, he doesn't live in the team house?

It's not clear, as the literal translation would be "place of residency." I put "home" to be slightly less wordy.

You're right.
He has answered in an interview before (I think related to the CotH for the MLG ticket to Colombus) that he lives on his own.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=6321864 Epic post.
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
July 30 2011 13:22 GMT
#13
On July 30 2011 22:17 ETisME wrote:
the link has been 404'd

Fixed.

On July 30 2011 22:21 rasnj wrote:
Thanks a lot for the translation.

I think you may slightly have mistranslated one question:
+ Show Spoiler +

"In game 2, you used overseers effectively to block your opponent’s mining." doesn't make any sense to me as he didn't block any mining and overseers aren't really capable of doing that. Are you sure it shouldn't be:
"In game 2, you used overseers effectively to block your opponent’s production."
Overseers were used to contaminate hatcheries and evolution chambers which halts larvae production and halts upgrades.

Also fixed.

Thanks
Translator:3
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
July 30 2011 13:22 GMT
#14

I have three wins, so I really shouldn’t be talking about nerfing terran or anything like that; it’s kinda awkward. To be honest, ZvT is pretty tough, but it’s not impossible. We shouldn’t blindly call for terran nerfs before investigating and researching the matchup more.


Spoken like a true 3 time GSL champion.
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
Peksi
Profile Joined July 2010
Finland169 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-30 13:24:54
July 30 2011 13:22 GMT
#15
Thanks for translating, Nestea's such a baller.

On July 30 2011 22:12 snafoo wrote:
Oh what, he doesn't live in the team house?

Well he's a married man afterall. edit: or has a girlfriend, can't really remember.
It can't be helped. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Saicam
Profile Joined July 2011
262 Posts
July 30 2011 13:24 GMT
#16
Nestea ftw
Joonz
Profile Joined March 2011
Thailand18 Posts
July 30 2011 13:24 GMT
#17
Thanks for the translation
Always nice to hear the player's train of thought in the finals
+ Show Spoiler +
Nestea FTW!
red4ce
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States7313 Posts
July 30 2011 13:26 GMT
#18
Professor Tea so far ahead in the ZvZ metagame even his teammates don't know about it.
canikizu
Profile Joined September 2010
4860 Posts
July 30 2011 13:29 GMT
#19
Now he admits that they should investigate more throughout before nerfing Terran again? Finally.
Klamity
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States994 Posts
July 30 2011 13:33 GMT
#20
The detective Zerg investigating ZvT? Uh oh!
Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason219
BRAT_OK 52
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14371
Mini 248
BeSt 237
Dewaltoss 167
Mind 91
Hyun 37
Bale 25
NaDa 20
Dota 2
qojqva3175
420jenkins493
Counter-Strike
fl0m3624
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5312
Khaldor1311
Liquid`Hasu1055
MindelVK18
Other Games
summit1g3090
FrodaN1936
B2W.Neo892
byalli397
QueenE70
ToD56
Railgan51
Mew2King43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1170
BasetradeTV222
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream55
StarCraft 2
angryscii 29
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 34
• Reevou 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 19
• FirePhoenix4
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3815
Other Games
• imaqtpie849
• Shiphtur277
• WagamamaTV234
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
5m
BSL Open Qualifier
5m
Replay Cast
4h 5m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 5m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
16h 5m
Monday Night Weeklies
21h 5m
Replay Cast
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 16h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.