• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:51
CEST 09:51
KST 16:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12218 users

MLG Potential Prize Pool Increase - Page 14

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 48 Next All
Assirra
Profile Joined August 2010
Belgium4169 Posts
July 29 2011 17:16 GMT
#261
On July 30 2011 02:13 Flying_Cake wrote:
Just buy the frigin membership. If you don't want to contribute to esports then don't, leave the community and stop complaining.

That is not the best way to convince someone.
Actually, i am sure it will have the opposite effect.
Irave
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9965 Posts
July 29 2011 17:19 GMT
#262
Not certain why people are trying to pass this off as a joke. As he continues to make tweets reassuring that there is truth behind his statements.
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
July 29 2011 17:20 GMT
#263
On July 30 2011 00:36 tyCe wrote:
I think Sundance was using the tweet mostly as a hype attempt. Still, I didn't think it would backfire this much


A 12 page thread on TL hardly counts as a "backfire"
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
July 29 2011 17:21 GMT
#264
On July 29 2011 14:20 iNcontroL wrote:
Uhhh if you give me a million dollars I will raise the prizepool??? Wow! That is amazing!


lol...so true. sad but true. hmmm...
CosmicSpiral
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States15275 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-29 17:28:14
July 29 2011 17:23 GMT
#265
So when Incontrol says something ignorant/sarcastic, everyone is quick to agree with him despite not knowing how much profit MLG makes and their general business model? I'm not entirely surprised by this anymore.
WriterWovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
SundanceMLG
Profile Joined July 2010
33 Posts
July 29 2011 17:41 GMT
#266
On July 29 2011 14:20 iNcontroL wrote:
Uhhh if you give me a million dollars I will raise the prizepool??? Wow! That is amazing!



Months ago you gave me shit about the prize pool and now I'm putting a simple and obtainable goal out there for the entire community and you give me shit again - and that's fine. I still respect you and appreciate what you've done and will continue to do for the scene. My question is this - if the number was 50,000 would you take an issue with my approach? How about 15,000? What if I didn't say a thing and just watched my spreadsheets populate with numbers and kept the community in the dark? Shouldn't the people who love this have some insight into what is needed for success?

You're either in or you're out. $30 a year from 100,000 people makes this company a real business and not just a passion project from a guy with a hippy name who refuses to quit. $30 a year from 10,000 people means that we're all wrong and there isn't enough fan support to sustain a business of scale.

Less than a dime a day from less than 10% of the people who visit our site over the course of an event weekend allows me to flip a switch and change next year to a structure that supports 24 live events & 28 meaningful ladders. 52 competitions with nearly 2 million dollars of prize money and stipends.

Again - I don't care if you think I'm an asshole or a money grubbing prick. I just want to find out if what we do is actually meaningful to enough of you to step up.

I don't always play SC2 but when I do I prefer Marines
Irave
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9965 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-29 17:44:00
July 29 2011 17:41 GMT
#267
On July 30 2011 02:23 CosmicSpiral wrote:
So when Incontrol says something ignorant/sarcastic, everyone is quick to agree with him despite not knowing how much profit MLG makes and their general business model? I'm not entirely surprised by this anymore.

He made a joking remark which basically states the same thing Sundance is wanting. Part of me wants to believe they are really close to the 100k mark and he is just trying to finish it off. However there is the part of we don't know how many they have exactly. I would like to believe it is close to the goal, however I'm not sure MLG has a huge following that will be able to support 100k purchases of the pass.

We have some idea of unique viewer ideas, but how many people just wanted to check it out and weren't all that interested in what they saw? How many of the viewers aren't able to even afford or are capable of even paying they money? That basis is more directed at age, as I'm sure a good portion of the viewers are under the age of 18.

I'd imagine as well he his expecting a new big mass of people coming into the MLG scene via LoL with how much stream success they had at Dreamhack. Lets be honest though, 100k people tends to be a lot. For example Sundance has under 33,000 followers on Twitter, and as we know so far is his only outlet of letting people know about this. Who knows how many of those accounts are inactive.

The only sour part about it is by putting the pressure on the fans to come through for him. If we aren't able to we aren't punished the competitors are. That is the part that is truly unusual.

For the people that think he is joking he followed it up with more tweets such as.

"I honestly don't care if you love me or hate me - I'm here to do a job and that job involves creating a stable future for esports."

"You can be part of that or not. But what happen is now up to all of you. Not me."
delo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States333 Posts
July 29 2011 17:43 GMT
#268
On July 30 2011 02:41 SundanceMLG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2011 14:20 iNcontroL wrote:
Uhhh if you give me a million dollars I will raise the prizepool??? Wow! That is amazing!



Months ago you gave me shit about the prize pool and now I'm putting a simple and obtainable goal out there for the entire community and you give me shit again - and that's fine. I still respect you and appreciate what you've done and will continue to do for the scene. My question is this - if the number was 50,000 would you take an issue with my approach? How about 15,000? What if I didn't say a thing and just watched my spreadsheets populate with numbers and kept the community in the dark? Shouldn't the people who love this have some insight into what is needed for success?

You're either in or you're out. $30 a year from 100,000 people makes this company a real business and not just a passion project from a guy with a hippy name who refuses to quit. $30 a year from 10,000 people means that we're all wrong and there isn't enough fan support to sustain a business of scale.

Less than a dime a day from less than 10% of the people who visit our site over the course of an event weekend allows me to flip a switch and change next year to a structure that supports 24 live events & 28 meaningful ladders. 52 competitions with nearly 2 million dollars of prize money and stipends.

Again - I don't care if you think I'm an asshole or a money grubbing prick. I just want to find out if what we do is actually meaningful to enough of you to step up.


<3 Sundance
CosmicSpiral
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States15275 Posts
July 29 2011 17:50 GMT
#269
On July 30 2011 02:41 Irave wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2011 02:23 CosmicSpiral wrote:
So when Incontrol says something ignorant/sarcastic, everyone is quick to agree with him despite not knowing how much profit MLG makes and their general business model? I'm not entirely surprised by this anymore.

He made a joking remark which basically states the same thing Sundance is wanting. Part of me wants to believe they are really close to the 100k mark and he is just trying to finish it off. However there is the part of we don't know how many they have exactly. I would like to believe it is close to the goal, however I'm not sure MLG has a huge following that will be able to support 100k purchases of the pass.

We have some idea of unique viewer ideas, but how many people just wanted to check it out and weren't all that interested in what they saw? How many of the viewers aren't able to even afford or are capable of even paying they money? That basis is more directed at age, as I'm sure a good portion of the viewers are under the age of 18.

I'd imagine as well he his expecting a new big mass of people coming into the MLG scene via LoL with how much stream success they had at Dreamhack. Lets be honest though, 100k people tends to be a lot. For example Sundance has under 33,000 followers on Twitter, and as we know so far is his only outlet of letting people know about this. Who knows how many of those accounts are inactive.

The only sour part about it is by putting the pressure on the fans to come through for him. If we aren't able to we aren't punished the competitors are. That is the part that is truly unusual.

For the people that think he is joking he followed it up with more tweets such as.

"I honestly don't care if you love me or hate me - I'm here to do a job and that job involves creating a stable future for esports."

"You can be part of that or not. But what happen is now up to all of you. Not me."


I'm not ragging on Incontrol since I can't tell whether he's being sarcastic or not, and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt on such things. I'm ragging on the people who clearly think Incontrol is mocking the announcement.

MLG has never been amazing at advertising things like this. I wouldn't depend on the LoL community for financial support though.
WriterWovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Nausea
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden807 Posts
July 29 2011 17:53 GMT
#270
On July 30 2011 02:41 SundanceMLG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2011 14:20 iNcontroL wrote:
Uhhh if you give me a million dollars I will raise the prizepool??? Wow! That is amazing!



Months ago you gave me shit about the prize pool and now I'm putting a simple and obtainable goal out there for the entire community and you give me shit again - and that's fine. I still respect you and appreciate what you've done and will continue to do for the scene. My question is this - if the number was 50,000 would you take an issue with my approach? How about 15,000? What if I didn't say a thing and just watched my spreadsheets populate with numbers and kept the community in the dark? Shouldn't the people who love this have some insight into what is needed for success?

You're either in or you're out. $30 a year from 100,000 people makes this company a real business and not just a passion project from a guy with a hippy name who refuses to quit. $30 a year from 10,000 people means that we're all wrong and there isn't enough fan support to sustain a business of scale.

Less than a dime a day from less than 10% of the people who visit our site over the course of an event weekend allows me to flip a switch and change next year to a structure that supports 24 live events & 28 meaningful ladders. 52 competitions with nearly 2 million dollars of prize money and stipends.

Again - I don't care if you think I'm an asshole or a money grubbing prick. I just want to find out if what we do is actually meaningful to enough of you to step up.



So Sundance, can we have some insight then? How close to the mark are we at this point? I bought a membership.
Set it ablaze!
Hikari
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
1914 Posts
July 29 2011 17:56 GMT
#271
wait... what? 24 live events? That may be too much MLG for me. 1 MLG every 2 weeks? what? /confused.
FLiPNoTiK
Profile Joined May 2007
United States62 Posts
July 29 2011 17:58 GMT
#272
iNcontroL tweeted

"I'd also like to announce if people buy 100,000 EG jerseys I will donate 10,000$ to eSports #sundancing"
SMD
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada627 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-29 18:07:33
July 29 2011 18:02 GMT
#273
I think a community update, or some sort of progress bar would be awesome, to see hoe close to 100,000 we're actually getting.

Edit: Sundance tweeted we'd get one after Anaheim
aristarchus
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States652 Posts
July 29 2011 18:02 GMT
#274
It's fine to say that if the tournaments are successful at bringing in money the prize pool will go up, and even that it will go up a lot, and even good to put some numbers on what it will take to make that happen. But it doesn't make any sense that with 100k subscribers it would go up a ton, and with less it would go down. Is there no middle ground where it would stay roughly stable? Maybe there are economies of scale where the business either runs very successfully at a huge scale or goes bankrupt. But short of MLG going out of business, I don't see how he's claiming that every number they can get is either wonderful or horrible, with nothing in between. I also wish we could stop treating ticket-buying like it's a charitable donation. You should buy a ticket if what it gets you is worth it to you.
Freak705
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada231 Posts
July 29 2011 18:02 GMT
#275
For what it's worth, you'll have my money Sundance. I'm very impressed with MLG's current product and I'd love for it to take off in a huge way.
SiguR
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada2039 Posts
July 29 2011 18:03 GMT
#276
I don't know why this thread wasn't closed in the first place. So far we have 14 pages of people arguing about and criticizing things they don't understand or misinterpreted. I can't see how sundance's tweets can be seen so negatively by some of you...

People were bitching about the prize pool being too small, he made a tweet about what would help raise the prize pool. I'm pretty sure he wasn't threatening to lower the prize pool next year to encourage people to buy more passes.
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14210 Posts
July 29 2011 18:05 GMT
#277
On July 30 2011 02:41 SundanceMLG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2011 14:20 iNcontroL wrote:
Uhhh if you give me a million dollars I will raise the prizepool??? Wow! That is amazing!



Months ago you gave me shit about the prize pool and now I'm putting a simple and obtainable goal out there for the entire community and you give me shit again - and that's fine. I still respect you and appreciate what you've done and will continue to do for the scene. My question is this - if the number was 50,000 would you take an issue with my approach? How about 15,000? What if I didn't say a thing and just watched my spreadsheets populate with numbers and kept the community in the dark? Shouldn't the people who love this have some insight into what is needed for success?

You're either in or you're out. $30 a year from 100,000 people makes this company a real business and not just a passion project from a guy with a hippy name who refuses to quit. $30 a year from 10,000 people means that we're all wrong and there isn't enough fan support to sustain a business of scale.

Less than a dime a day from less than 10% of the people who visit our site over the course of an event weekend allows me to flip a switch and change next year to a structure that supports 24 live events & 28 meaningful ladders. 52 competitions with nearly 2 million dollars of prize money and stipends.

Again - I don't care if you think I'm an asshole or a money grubbing prick. I just want to find out if what we do is actually meaningful to enough of you to step up.



well I bought the double HQ pass so your only getting less then a nickel a day from me now. Thats a hype post if I've ever saw one.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Ilovesunzandsonz
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
62 Posts
July 29 2011 18:05 GMT
#278
On July 30 2011 02:41 SundanceMLG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2011 14:20 iNcontroL wrote:
Uhhh if you give me a million dollars I will raise the prizepool??? Wow! That is amazing!



Months ago you gave me shit about the prize pool and now I'm putting a simple and obtainable goal out there for the entire community and you give me shit again - and that's fine. I still respect you and appreciate what you've done and will continue to do for the scene. My question is this - if the number was 50,000 would you take an issue with my approach? How about 15,000? What if I didn't say a thing and just watched my spreadsheets populate with numbers and kept the community in the dark? Shouldn't the people who love this have some insight into what is needed for success?

You're either in or you're out. $30 a year from 100,000 people makes this company a real business and not just a passion project from a guy with a hippy name who refuses to quit. $30 a year from 10,000 people means that we're all wrong and there isn't enough fan support to sustain a business of scale.

Less than a dime a day from less than 10% of the people who visit our site over the course of an event weekend allows me to flip a switch and change next year to a structure that supports 24 live events & 28 meaningful ladders. 52 competitions with nearly 2 million dollars of prize money and stipends.

Again - I don't care if you think I'm an asshole or a money grubbing prick. I just want to find out if what we do is actually meaningful to enough of you to step up.



Totally agree with you and i am going to buy a membership pass for sure <3
Art_of_Kill
Profile Joined September 2003
Zaire1232 Posts
July 29 2011 18:09 GMT
#279
i just say so much: event time for europe 2am - 8am, i dont see why anyone would watch let alone buy hd stream
TLT07 ===> *winner* <===TLT08
Nausea
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden807 Posts
July 29 2011 18:10 GMT
#280
On July 30 2011 03:09 Art_of_Kill wrote:
i just say so much: event time for europe 2am - 8am, i dont see why anyone would watch let alone buy hd stream


I'm in europe, i will watch and i've bought a pass.
Set it ablaze!
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 48 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
hero 652
soO 533
BeSt 443
Hyuk 406
Killer 66
Mind 40
Shinee 37
Mong 34
Bale 25
ZergMaN 12
[ Show more ]
yabsab 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever932
XaKoH 659
XcaliburYe179
League of Legends
JimRising 516
Other Games
summit1g9655
olofmeister705
ceh9503
Happy276
Livibee166
Mew2King81
crisheroes70
ArmadaUGS57
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick544
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH375
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2307
League of Legends
• Rush1385
• Stunt443
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 10m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
3h 10m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.