• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:02
CEST 18:02
KST 01:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8123 users

[H] 2v2 ZZ vs ZP, Builds and Pushes

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Peekay.switch
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada285 Posts
May 27 2010 05:47 GMT
#1
Hi, first post, I've been lurking around the forums for a bit.

Me and My Friend have been doing 2v2 a lot lately and we often argue about what each other is doing wrong and he's really stubborn and refuses to admit he's wrong or watch replay to see what we did wrong. We often blame one another.

We did a game and war ensued.

Here's the replay:
[url blocked]

If you don't want to watch it, here's the game in text:
+ Show Spoiler +
Map: Arid Waste (The one where helping a partner takes forever)
I'm Protoss, He's Zerg, we're facing 2 Zerg.

I Scout after a 11 Gate, Both zergs have their pools done before My Gate. I Call it.
He did a 15 Pool 16 Hatch, even after I Called it.
So I expect some 12 lings or whatever.
I Chrono Boost my Zealots, change build to 2 Gates/Core instead of Gate/Core/Gate
I Get 5 Zealots, 1 Sentries, Block my ramp with Gates, Im ready for 30 or so lings.

At that point, My friend gets attacked, 24 Lings 6-7 Roaches, they easily tear down his expo, 2nd Queen and 3 drones.

Meanwhile in his base, he has 6 Lings, 1 Spine Crawler and a Queen. He holds them back somewhat until he finally dies.

I Sent my Zealots and sentries, they got caught mid-way and killed reinforcement instead (like, 2-3 Roaches and handful of Lings).
I didn't realise I had so much income and ended up having too much money when he started getting attacked. That's my major error, not having thrown down a 3rd or 4th gateway.
I Then try to take them down, base rush, shoulda saved a probe, but failed and lost the game.


During and After the game, Blame War starts.

Things I Say:
- Bad Build Order vs 2 Zergs that do a 10-11 Pools, Shouldn't have fast expo'd
- I Failed when you started getting attacked, bad macro management on my part
- Only 6 Lings?

Things he Said:
- They would have EASILY entered in your base as well
- You only had 4 Zealots, they were useless
- My Build was a good choose against 2 Zerg with Early pool, 2 more minutes and I would have caught back to them in Army and have a better economy.

In short, he says we're doomed on this map, and if they had knocked on my door that I would be dead.
My main argument was that in most scenario, 2v1 you're dead, what's important is to buy time for the partner to come. I Suggested he does a 2nd spine crawler in Main and cut expo for Roaches/Lings to that if they do knock on his door, that he can easily buy time for me to come.
I Also explained to him that my zealot position with Sentries/Upcoming stalkers makes it so I can hold them at ramp for way enough time that he can come help.

Now overall, I'm Looking for some insight from the community to settle this down, because right now, it's all out war.

Main Question:
Should He 15 Pool 16 Hatch vs 2 Zergs?
How was his/my Building placement?
Should I Change my build order vs 2 Zergs/Early Pool? (2 Gate/Core)

And Overall, what you guys see wrong from us in the replay until my friend dies.
Notes: We just got in Diamond League, sorry for bad english, it's not my native language, sorry for length of the post, just wanna cover all bases.

Hopefully I can get some good insight on this.
-Peekay


Tsagacity
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States2124 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-27 05:55:56
May 27 2010 05:48 GMT
#2
Fast expanding against a double zerg team sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. As a zerg I would almost always open ling+baneling against a double zerg team.

I had trouble finding an old baneling bust build, but what I came up with that worked well was 13 gas @ 100, 12 pool, and drone to 14. When the pool finishes you can do an extractor trick and have enough money to start a queen, 6 zerglings, and ling speed all at once. Then 19/18 overlord and baneling nest at 100 minerals.

On May 27 2010 14:52 Peekay.switch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 27 2010 14:48 Tsagacity wrote:
Fast expanding against a double zerg team sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.


His main Argument against this: "Well if they hadn't pushed for another 2 minutes, I would have caught back".
Now I understand the fact that better Economy = Bigger Army, but it's WAY too much of a gamble to do that, It's like I Would fast expo as a Toss at like 14 with 1 Zealot and go "Well if they don't push for another 5 minutes, I might be ok"

And I honestly think that 2 Minutes is way too low, Dunno how long it takes to come back considering they are pumping it up all the time from one base where he has 2 Base with only 3 drones in the other expo.
Yeah he's taking a very reckless and random gamble in hoping that a double zerg team isn't going to be aggressive in the early game. Even if they didn't open with an aggressive build they can still probably scout the FE and overrun the zerg anyway.
"Everyone worse than me at video games is a noob. Everyone better than me doesn't have a life."
Peekay.switch
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada285 Posts
May 27 2010 05:52 GMT
#3
On May 27 2010 14:48 Tsagacity wrote:
Fast expanding against a double zerg team sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.


His main Argument against this: "Well if they hadn't pushed for another 2 minutes, I would have caught back".
Now I understand the fact that better Economy = Bigger Army, but it's WAY too much of a gamble to do that, It's like I Would fast expo as a Toss at like 14 with 1 Zealot and go "Well if they don't push for another 5 minutes, I might be ok"

And I honestly think that 2 Minutes is way too low, Dunno how long it takes to come back considering they are pumping it up all the time from one base where he has 2 Base with only 3 drones in the other expo.
Bosu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3247 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-27 05:58:26
May 27 2010 05:57 GMT
#4
Tsagcity does pretty much exactly what I do against 2 zergs. And I would do something similar against teams with 1 zerg too. Maybe a bit greedier on drones though depending on what is scouted.
#1 Kwanro Fan
Peekay.switch
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada285 Posts
May 27 2010 06:07 GMT
#5
Do note if possible, some insight on my approach would be kind too
Because otherwise he'll be like "Well you still did terrible and you're still useless" >_>

Thanks alot for the feedback guys!
Thanks for reading :D

Also, LF 2v2 Partner? Maybe? x)
DaEm0niCuS
Profile Joined March 2009
United States60 Posts
May 27 2010 06:14 GMT
#6
vs zz, zerg should go roach and toss should go 3 gate to expansion/cannon.

15 pool 16 hatch vs 2 z pretty bad. He should have also moved his spine crawler to his expansions/made another one and had more units. It's possible to pool/expand and still defend that attack.

You should either tech fast or 3 gate zealot to cannon.

You both could have played much better, your build was weak and you didn't have enough gates/your minerals got way too high, your warp gates were also too slow(build a pylon in your allies base so you can help them quickly with warp gates)

And his build was too risky, he didn't move spine crawler/have enough units, not to mention that map has a back door on his base. That map is a rushing map as well, it's pretty much the only map without the shared chokes blizzard seems to love so much (morons)
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
May 27 2010 06:16 GMT
#7
Against two zergs I would 10 pool baneling. If you even 14 pool and they 7 pool you're dead.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
Adjudicator
Profile Joined May 2010
United States44 Posts
May 27 2010 06:21 GMT
#8
I recommend you scout at 9 pylon as P - it gives you more time to react and retract if you happened to go for a build that is being hard-countered by the oppoenent even without scouting. You'd never see a double 6 pool at 11 gateway until it was way too late.

I can't really comment on the 10-pool aggression since I don't know Z play too well nor have I ever had very good Z partners that I can remember. I think 4 gate would have been your best solution there, since Z can't really wall up and if you get cannons you're just asking the opponent to rush him, and Z on your team should have put down a couple of crawlers and teched to something like banelings/hydras, depending on how aggressive they were being.

As for the synergy between you guys, you need to find a better partner I think =/ Not one that plays better necessarily, but one you can communicate and work with. I used to have a really good partner pre-patch 13 whom when we messed up, we looked at the mistakes that we each did, instead of blaming each other for not helping out enough. Granted, he was pretty good and we could both keep up with each other, so that helped a lot as well.
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
May 27 2010 09:20 GMT
#9
I just had a game zzvzz and I went 10 pool and I was just barely able to hold against a double 7 pool and I needed help from my partnere or I was dead. I was down to about 6-8 drones I think. They went super heavy pressure and when they had to let up I droned and get a few banelings while my partner raped the other two guys.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
Flyingdutchman
Profile Joined March 2009
Netherlands858 Posts
May 27 2010 09:50 GMT
#10
The zergs took their sweet time moving out, so he could have gotten away with it, instead of taking the double gas you should have moved his crawler to his natural choke and built some additional ones and pump lings. It's just silly to just build only 6 lings when fast expanding on that map. And the double gas was also stupid, since that way you can never keep up production with 2 hatches and 2 queens. Better to saturate one gas geyser right after starting queen, that way he will have 100 gas by the time the queen finishes. the remark about 'if they pushed two minutes later' is just stupid because it seemed like he wanted to FE and tech before the first push, highly unlikely against two 10-pools. He just got too greedy. FE-> defence -> then tech
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TaKeTV 67
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 12
RotterdaM 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4368
Shuttle 1199
Bisu 1136
Stork 541
BeSt 402
EffOrt 363
Mini 354
actioN 285
Rush 265
Horang2 257
[ Show more ]
hero 134
Mind 131
Light 113
910 88
Yoon 88
Zeus 74
Mong 73
Snow 58
Shinee 54
sorry 53
Sea.KH 48
Barracks 45
JYJ 37
Bale 25
Killer 24
Sexy 24
ToSsGirL 23
Terrorterran 23
HiyA 21
yabsab 15
scan(afreeca) 14
zelot 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5592
qojqva2822
Dendi1317
Counter-Strike
fl0m3661
Fnx 710
Other Games
singsing2608
TKL 1018
hiko945
ceh9383
Livibee340
XBOCT289
Hui .219
Beastyqt215
Liquid`VortiX193
XaKoH 151
Trikslyr30
Chillindude15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix13
• iopq 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2790
Other Games
• Shiphtur151
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 58m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
18h 58m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.