• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:46
CEST 08:46
KST 15:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202614Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10162 users

2018 - 2019 Football Thread - Page 6

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 274 Next
New Home!

https://tl.net/forum/sports/549587-2019-2020-football-thread
Bacillus
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland2112 Posts
August 09 2018 05:14 GMT
#101
On August 09 2018 10:54 DucK- wrote:
It's true that we panic bought, probably paid too much. But at least its someone highly rated. I'm fine with it. Better than spending 30+m on an average English player like Drinkwater. That's a waste of money.

I'm a little surprised how panicky things did seem to go. It was well documented that Courtois wants to go and that something like this might happen. I wonder if the managerial change stalled some of the earlier attempts to sort this out earlier. I guess Courtois wasn't avaible for the comments during the World Cup either, but that's why you have agents to handle the contract stuff while players are busy playing.
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18761 Posts
August 09 2018 06:26 GMT
#102
Chelsea board were prolly as delusional as pande in regards to cortouis
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51698 Posts
August 09 2018 07:14 GMT
#103
holy shit you can't make this up

Commentator
haitike
Profile Joined June 2009
Spain2744 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-09 09:23:01
August 09 2018 08:18 GMT
#104
On August 09 2018 06:50 GTR wrote:
theres murmurs in spain that kepa will end up being better than de gea and end up replacing him in the NT.

anyone able to elaborate on that?


Most spaniards don't watch De Gea in the premier league. They only watch him playing with Spain NT. And he was the worst goalkeeper of the worldcup. So...
evilfatsh1t
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia8929 Posts
August 09 2018 10:00 GMT
#105
On August 09 2018 17:18 haitike wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2018 06:50 GTR wrote:
theres murmurs in spain that kepa will end up being better than de gea and end up replacing him in the NT.

anyone able to elaborate on that?


Most spaniards don't watch De Gea in the premier league. They only watch him playing with Spain NT. And he was the worst goalkeeper of the worldcup. So...

wat.
a massive football country like spain doesnt watch leagues other than their own? wat.
haitike
Profile Joined June 2009
Spain2744 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-09 10:24:25
August 09 2018 10:21 GMT
#106
On August 09 2018 19:00 evilfatsh1t wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2018 17:18 haitike wrote:
On August 09 2018 06:50 GTR wrote:
theres murmurs in spain that kepa will end up being better than de gea and end up replacing him in the NT.

anyone able to elaborate on that?


Most spaniards don't watch De Gea in the premier league. They only watch him playing with Spain NT. And he was the worst goalkeeper of the worldcup. So...

wat.
a massive football country like spain doesnt watch leagues other than their own? wat.


Some people watch Premier League, but only football hardcore fans like me. Most spaniards only watch La Liga. There is a big La Liga tradition with bars and pubs always full of people.

Anyway, they know De Gea is a top keeper, but he was so dissapointing in the worldcup (and he was not great in the Eurocup neither) that a lot of them are looking for Kepa. It is just that De Gea is different when playing with the NT and when playing for MUtd.
HsDLTitich
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Italy831 Posts
August 09 2018 10:29 GMT
#107
On August 09 2018 19:00 evilfatsh1t wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2018 17:18 haitike wrote:
On August 09 2018 06:50 GTR wrote:
theres murmurs in spain that kepa will end up being better than de gea and end up replacing him in the NT.

anyone able to elaborate on that?


Most spaniards don't watch De Gea in the premier league. They only watch him playing with Spain NT. And he was the worst goalkeeper of the worldcup. So...

wat.
a massive football country like spain doesnt watch leagues other than their own? wat.


Most people I know don't watch games from other leagues other than the Serie A. Maybe just the big games from La Liga and the Premier, but that's about it.
I used to organize tournaments for ESL Italy and referee Go4SC2s, WCSs, and IEMs for ESL SC2.
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
August 09 2018 12:45 GMT
#108
More likely 14-29 age group are watching football outside home. The olders only watch home games and some games on tv if they are free.
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
Faruko
Profile Joined April 2013
Chile34173 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-09 14:39:54
August 09 2018 14:23 GMT
#109
We wooooon, what a game by us, should have been 2-0, but whatever, still 90 minutes in Brazil, but st least we have hope

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Ross was right // "Jesus Christ nahaz is doing shots before my eyes" (Sn0_Man, 2018)
Salteador Neo
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Andorra5591 Posts
August 09 2018 14:42 GMT
#110
On August 09 2018 19:00 evilfatsh1t wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2018 17:18 haitike wrote:
On August 09 2018 06:50 GTR wrote:
theres murmurs in spain that kepa will end up being better than de gea and end up replacing him in the NT.

anyone able to elaborate on that?


Most spaniards don't watch De Gea in the premier league. They only watch him playing with Spain NT. And he was the worst goalkeeper of the worldcup. So...

wat.
a massive football country like spain doesnt watch leagues other than their own? wat.


I think this is the same for most countries tbh. I'm sure 99% of PL fans never heard about Kepa before Chelsea signed him a couple days ago.

I used to watch a few of the big PL games some years ago, now I only watch the highlights on reddit, if anything at all. And if I know several PL players it's because of FPL and FIFA games. I'm sure 99% of La Liga fans don't watch live PL games at all.
Revolutionist fan
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
August 09 2018 19:03 GMT
#111
What happened to Feyenoord? o.O
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
August 09 2018 19:20 GMT
#112
On August 09 2018 10:54 DucK- wrote:
It's true that we panic bought, probably paid too much. But at least its someone highly rated. I'm fine with it. Better than spending 30+m on an average English player like Drinkwater. That's a waste of money.

I see no shame in spending the money. At least it's not pep or PSG level of disgusting. We used to be like that too, but now we've somewhat stopped, relying on sales to lower the net spend.

Need to YouTube kovacic to judge him. I'm hoping for a technically good cm to give our midfield more control.

Also why's no one going for Ben arfa. Guy sulks and is toxic when he is a squad player. But when he is first team, he delivers and is good enough. Why not sign him.

We started bidding for Kepa in January sir. Had no choice to pay his buyout clause after the last 3 weeks of negotiations as well they rejected all our bids.

I always tell people that Chelsea transfer window is never known that much and it clearly wasn't. Kepa was known as soon as Bilbao received the money basically lol, before that he has only been linked with Real Madrid in January.
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4020 Posts
August 09 2018 19:23 GMT
#113
On August 10 2018 04:03 mahrgell wrote:
What happened to Feyenoord? o.O

That was painful to watch, and I'm not even a Feyenoord fan. Even taking into account they were missing some key players, this was absolutely dreadful.
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
August 09 2018 21:21 GMT
#114
On August 10 2018 04:20 Pandemona wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2018 10:54 DucK- wrote:
It's true that we panic bought, probably paid too much. But at least its someone highly rated. I'm fine with it. Better than spending 30+m on an average English player like Drinkwater. That's a waste of money.

I see no shame in spending the money. At least it's not pep or PSG level of disgusting. We used to be like that too, but now we've somewhat stopped, relying on sales to lower the net spend.

Need to YouTube kovacic to judge him. I'm hoping for a technically good cm to give our midfield more control.

Also why's no one going for Ben arfa. Guy sulks and is toxic when he is a squad player. But when he is first team, he delivers and is good enough. Why not sign him.

We started bidding for Kepa in January sir. Had no choice to pay his buyout clause after the last 3 weeks of negotiations as well they rejected all our bids.

I always tell people that Chelsea transfer window is never known that much and it clearly wasn't. Kepa was known as soon as Bilbao received the money basically lol, before that he has only been linked with Real Madrid in January.


For posterity.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-09 22:11:07
August 09 2018 21:47 GMT
#115
Our 3 highest transfers yes. Kepa signed 7 year deal which nice.

Transfer activity: -52,99 Mill. € city
Transfer activity: -59,35 Mill. € yanited
Transfer activity: -168,20 Mill. € scouse
Transfer activity: -101,00 Mill. € chelsea
Transfer activity: -72,60 Mill. € arsenal


Spurs...no incomings, no outgoings... xD jesus
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
DucK-
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Singapore11447 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-10 00:59:54
August 10 2018 00:35 GMT
#116
I don't wanna try to pretend my club is any different from Liverpool when they spend so much money on a player. I must say though that I'm glad our days of unsustainable spending like how manc and psg do now are over.

Kovacic on YouTube looks pretty good. He's a midfielder that is comfortable breaking forward with the ball, something that we're missing. A good short term solution.

Our striker is still a concern though. I'm still confident that Morata can succeed under sarri. Maybe even bats now that no one needs to play target man anymore. Just make good runs, link with attackers and finish moves.

Can't wait to see the fight for 3/4 this season.
Faruko
Profile Joined April 2013
Chile34173 Posts
August 10 2018 11:30 GMT
#117
On August 10 2018 09:35 DucK- wrote:
I don't wanna try to pretend my club is any different from Liverpool when they spend so much money on a player. I must say though that I'm glad our days of unsustainable spending like how manc and psg do now are over.

Kovacic on YouTube looks pretty good. He's a midfielder that is comfortable breaking forward with the ball, something that we're missing. A good short term solution.

Our striker is still a concern though. I'm still confident that Morata can succeed under sarri. Maybe even bats now that no one needs to play target man anymore. Just make good runs, link with attackers and finish moves.

Can't wait to see the fight for 3/4 this season.

Literally every player
Ross was right // "Jesus Christ nahaz is doing shots before my eyes" (Sn0_Man, 2018)
DucK-
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Singapore11447 Posts
August 10 2018 12:53 GMT
#118
On August 10 2018 20:30 Faruko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 10 2018 09:35 DucK- wrote:
I don't wanna try to pretend my club is any different from Liverpool when they spend so much money on a player. I must say though that I'm glad our days of unsustainable spending like how manc and psg do now are over.

Kovacic on YouTube looks pretty good. He's a midfielder that is comfortable breaking forward with the ball, something that we're missing. A good short term solution.

Our striker is still a concern though. I'm still confident that Morata can succeed under sarri. Maybe even bats now that no one needs to play target man anymore. Just make good runs, link with attackers and finish moves.

Can't wait to see the fight for 3/4 this season.

Literally every player


Nah. I look beyond the fancy moves and highlights and just judge their general playstyle from the clips. Some of those hot prospects like Malcolm baka (when he came to Chelsea) fekir fabinho etc are not convincing to me in their roles.

I felt that Chelsea midfield lacked a player that was willing to run with the ball. Jorginho and cesc just want to pass. Kante is defensive and can't really penetrate. Barkley has been a question mark. So when I watched kovacic, I was happy that he's such a player
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-10 16:02:59
August 10 2018 15:34 GMT
#119
On August 10 2018 21:53 DucK- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 10 2018 20:30 Faruko wrote:
On August 10 2018 09:35 DucK- wrote:
I don't wanna try to pretend my club is any different from Liverpool when they spend so much money on a player. I must say though that I'm glad our days of unsustainable spending like how manc and psg do now are over.

Kovacic on YouTube looks pretty good. He's a midfielder that is comfortable breaking forward with the ball, something that we're missing. A good short term solution.

Our striker is still a concern though. I'm still confident that Morata can succeed under sarri. Maybe even bats now that no one needs to play target man anymore. Just make good runs, link with attackers and finish moves.

Can't wait to see the fight for 3/4 this season.

Literally every player


Nah. I look beyond the fancy moves and highlights and just judge their general playstyle from the clips. Some of those hot prospects like Malcolm baka (when he came to Chelsea) fekir fabinho etc are not convincing to me in their roles.

I felt that Chelsea midfield lacked a player that was willing to run with the ball. Jorginho and cesc just want to pass. Kante is defensive and can't really penetrate. Barkley has been a question mark. So when I watched kovacic, I was happy that he's such a player


Baka looked really good in live games playing for Monaco. A team and system he was clearly comfortable in.

I dont know if its the pressure or the system or the manager or what, but the drop in quality in his play is directly related to a lack of comfort and confidence. Its like he just lost his skills and that really only ever happens for either of those two reasons or I suppose... injury but really the bottom line for players under performing their expect level is just comfort and confidence+ Show Spoiler +
for me anyway.
Obisp0
Profile Joined December 2016
United States10 Posts
August 10 2018 16:31 GMT
#120
On August 11 2018 00:34 Rebs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 10 2018 21:53 DucK- wrote:
On August 10 2018 20:30 Faruko wrote:
On August 10 2018 09:35 DucK- wrote:
I don't wanna try to pretend my club is any different from Liverpool when they spend so much money on a player. I must say though that I'm glad our days of unsustainable spending like how manc and psg do now are over.

Kovacic on YouTube looks pretty good. He's a midfielder that is comfortable breaking forward with the ball, something that we're missing. A good short term solution.

Our striker is still a concern though. I'm still confident that Morata can succeed under sarri. Maybe even bats now that no one needs to play target man anymore. Just make good runs, link with attackers and finish moves.

Can't wait to see the fight for 3/4 this season.

Literally every player


Nah. I look beyond the fancy moves and highlights and just judge their general playstyle from the clips. Some of those hot prospects like Malcolm baka (when he came to Chelsea) fekir fabinho etc are not convincing to me in their roles.

I felt that Chelsea midfield lacked a player that was willing to run with the ball. Jorginho and cesc just want to pass. Kante is defensive and can't really penetrate. Barkley has been a question mark. So when I watched kovacic, I was happy that he's such a player

. Its like he just lost his skills and that really only ever happens for either of those two reasons or I suppose....
[/spoiler]

...or the aliens from "Space Jam" came and swooped the talent straight from him
Stansfield: I like these quiet little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 274 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 16h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4013
Mong 85
ToSsGirL 65
sorry 51
Noble 8
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King152
Other Games
summit1g8070
WinterStarcraft570
ceh9376
Happy190
Sick161
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 34
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki35
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2275
League of Legends
• Stunt432
Other Games
• Shiphtur587
Upcoming Events
OSC
16h 14m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 3h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.